Posted to alt.fan.jai-maharaj,soc.culture.indian,sci.med,sci.biology,alt.food.vegan,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc

Default Broccoli could help fight arthritis

Broccoli could help fight arthritis

Eating broccoli could help prevent or slow the most
common form of arthritis.

Daily Express
Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Researchers from the University of East Anglia found that
sulforaphane - a compound found mainly in broccoli but
also in sprouts and cabbage - slows down the destruction
of cartilage in joints associated with painful and often
debilitating osteoarthritis.

Ian Clark, professor of musculoskeletal biology at the
Norwich university, said: "The results from this study
are very promising. We have shown that this works in the
three laboratory models we have tried, in cartilage
cells, tissue and mice. We now want to show this works in
humans. It would be very powerful if we could."

Prof Clark continued: "As well as treating those who
already have the condition, you need to be able to tell
healthy people how to protect their joints into the
future."

More than 8.5 million people in the UK have
osteoarthritis, a degenerative disease affecting the
hands, feet, spine, hips and knees.

Ageing and obesity are the most common contributors to
the condition and it is predicted the number of people
seeking treatment will rise sharply by 2035.

Alan Silman, Arthritis Research UK's medical director,
said: "This is an interesting study with promising
results as it suggests that a common vegetable, broccoli,
might have health benefits for people with osteoarthritis
and even possibly protect people from developing the
disease in the first place.

"Until now research has failed to show that food or diet
can play any part in reducing the progression of
osteoarthritis, so if these findings can be replicated in
humans, it would be quite a breakthrough.

"We know that exercise and keeping to a healthy weight
can improve people's symptoms and reduce the chances of
the disease progressing, but this adds another layer in
our understanding of how diet could play its part."

The study was funded by medical research charity
Arthritis Research UK, the Biotechnology and Biological
Sciences Research Council's Diet and Health Research
Industry Club and The Dunhill Medical Trust. Previous
research has suggested that sulforaphane has anti-cancer
and anti-inflammatory properties, but this is the first
major study into its effects on joint health

More at:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/425...ight-arthritis

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.jai-maharaj

o o o

o Not for commercial use. Solely to be fairly used
for the educational purposes of research and open
discussion. The contents of this post may not have been
authored by, and do not necessarily represent the opinion
of the poster. The contents are protected by copyright
law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

o If you send private e-mail to me, it will likely
not be read, considered or answered if it does not
contain your full legal name, current e-mail and postal
addresses, and live-voice telephone number.

o Posted for information and discussion. Views
expressed by others are not necessarily those of the
poster who may or may not have read the article.
FAIR USE NOTICE: This article may contain copyrighted
material the use of which may or may not have been
specifically authorized by the copyright owner. This
material is being made available in efforts to advance
the understanding of environmental, political, human
rights, economic, democratic, scientific, social, and
cultural, etc., issues. It is believed that this
constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material
as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the
material on this site is distributed without profit to
the included information for research, comment,
discussion and educational purposes by subscribing to
USENET newsgroups or visiting web sites. For more
information go to:

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this article
for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you
must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Since newsgroup posts are being removed by forgery by one
or more net terrorists, this post may be reposted several
times.