FoodBanter.com

-   -   I just learned a great cooking trick (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/401261-i-just-learned-great.html)

Evelyn 10-10-2010 06:20 PM

I just learned a great cooking trick

Was flicking channels and came upon a cooking show about making meals for 4
ppl for only $10.00 A good idea to have a show like that in times like
these.

Anyway the gal wanted to use a bit of grated ginger. She buys the ginger
root fresh, peels it, then puts it into a ziploc bag and puts it in the
freezer. She said it lasts practically forever that way, and you can have
fresh ginger to grate into a dish any time you want it!

Now that is a good idea and I am going to do just that.

--
Best Regards,
Evelyn

In the stony fastness of the mountains there is a strange market, where one
may barter the vortex of life for boundless bliss. - Milarepa

Storrmmee 10-10-2010 09:04 PM

I just learned a great cooking trick

i have always frozen it and i save the peel in the freezer for when i want
ginger tea, Lee

Janet 10-10-2010 09:28 PM

I just learned a great cooking trick

I use a lot of fresh ginger, so I always have it in the fridge and it never
has time to go bad. But I'd suggest slicing at least some of it if you are
going to freeze it. It's easier to grate a knob, but easier to mince a
slice. That way you would have it easily available for both grating and
mincing.

Evelyn 10-10-2010 11:10 PM

"Janet" > wrote in message
> I use a lot of fresh ginger, so I always have it in the fridge and it
> never has time to go bad. But I'd suggest slicing at least some of it if
> you are going to freeze it. It's easier to grate a knob, but easier to
> mince a slice. That way you would have it easily available for both
> grating and mincing.

Thanks for the tip!

Nicky 13-10-2010 09:52 PM

I just learned a great cooking trick

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 13:20:25 -0400, "Evelyn" >
wrote:

>Was flicking channels and came upon a cooking show about making meals for 4
>ppl for only $10.00 A good idea to have a show like that in times like
>these.
>
>Anyway the gal wanted to use a bit of grated ginger. She buys the ginger
>root fresh, peels it, then puts it into a ziploc bag and puts it in the
>freezer. She said it lasts practically forever that way, and you can have
>fresh ginger to grate into a dish any time you want it!

You don't need to peel it, the peel separates itself from the flesh as
you grate - and any small bits that escape are unnoticeable in the
dish.

BTW, did you guys know that the best implement for peeling ginger is a
teaspoon? that still tickles me :)

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26

Tiger Lily 14-10-2010 05:08 PM

On 10/13/2010 10:29 PM, BlueBrooke wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 21:52:06 +0100, >
> wrote:
>
>> BTW, did you guys know that the best implement for peeling ginger is a
>> teaspoon? that still tickles me :)

> Me too! How cool is that? It was the one thing that I didn't like
> about using fresh ginger -- trying to peel it without losing so much
> of the "good stuff." Now, my freezer is full of knobs. Thanks, Roger
> Mooking! :-D

hmmmmm

dumb question

i usually mince the garlic or chop it or slice it very finely

i haven't removed the peel, is this something i really should do?

(now to remember the teaspoon trick)

kate

Evelyn 14-10-2010 05:45 PM

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 10/13/2010 10:29 PM, BlueBrooke wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 21:52:06 +0100, >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> BTW, did you guys know that the best implement for peeling ginger is a
>>> teaspoon? that still tickles me :)

>> Me too! How cool is that? It was the one thing that I didn't like
>> about using fresh ginger -- trying to peel it without losing so much
>> of the "good stuff." Now, my freezer is full of knobs. Thanks, Roger
>> Mooking! :-D

> hmmmmm
>
> dumb question
>
> i usually mince the garlic or chop it or slice it very finely
>
> i haven't removed the peel, is this something i really should do?
>
> (now to remember the teaspoon trick)
>
> kate

Garlic is something I always peel....... but we were talking about Ginger,
and that should be peeled too.

Tiger Lily 14-10-2010 06:37 PM

On 10/14/2010 10:45 AM, Evelyn wrote:

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> On 10/13/2010 10:29 PM, BlueBrooke wrote:

>>> Me too! How cool is that? It was the one thing that I didn't like
>>> about using fresh ginger -- trying to peel it without losing so much
>>> of the "good stuff." Now, my freezer is full of knobs. Thanks, Roger
>>> Mooking! :-D

>> hmmmmm
>>
>> dumb question
>>
>> i usually mince the garlic or chop it or slice it very finely
>>
>> i haven't removed the peel, is this something i really should do?
>>
>> (now to remember the teaspoon trick)
>>
>> kate

> Garlic is something I always peel....... but we were talking about
> Ginger, and that should be peeled too.

arrgghh, i typed garlic and meant ginger

i've never peeled ginger, not ever....... learn something new every day

ty
kate

Evelyn 14-10-2010 08:02 PM

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 10/14/2010 10:45 AM, Evelyn wrote:

>>> hmmmmm
>>>
>>> dumb question
>>>
>>> i usually mince the garlic or chop it or slice it very finely
>>>
>>> i haven't removed the peel, is this something i really should do?
>>>
>>> (now to remember the teaspoon trick)
>>>
>>> kate

>> Garlic is something I always peel....... but we were talking about
>> Ginger, and that should be peeled too.
>>

> arrgghh, i typed garlic and meant ginger
>
> i've never peeled ginger, not ever....... learn something new every day
>
> ty
> kate

I use ginger so seldom, that I didn't know what should be done, so I always
peeled it when I used it.

Cheri[_3_] 14-10-2010 08:51 PM

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message

> arrgghh, i typed garlic and meant ginger
>
> i've never peeled ginger, not ever....... learn something new every day
>
> ty
> kate

I don't use it often, but I don't peel it either. I will have to try the
teaspoon thing though. :-)

Cheri

Ozgirl 15-10-2010 01:13 AM

"BlueBrooke" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 11:37:30 -0600, Tiger Lily > wrote:

>>> Garlic is something I always peel....... but we were talking about
>>> Ginger, and that should be peeled too.
>>>

>>arrgghh, i typed garlic and meant ginger
>>
>>i've never peeled ginger, not ever....... learn something new every
>>day
>>
>>ty
>>kate

> LOL Kate -- don't you hate when that happens? I've read that some
> people don't peel ginger. I just can't seem to use it if it isn't
> peeled, so I just do. The "teaspoon trick" takes just seconds, so
> that was really neet to learn.
>
> I know some people also eat sweet potato skins, but I can't manage
> that, either. So take it for what it's worth. :-D

I eat sweet potato skins and pumpkin skins too. I never peel ginger. I
bought a novelty grater once, it is a mini grater, looks just like the
large ones (the pyramid style with a handle on top) but fabulous for
garlic and ginger. Its about 2 inches high. Because the grating holes
are much smaller it is ideal for finely grated small things. Not
suitable for cheese (except the hard, dried out style cheeses) as the
holes are way too small.

Tiger Lily 15-10-2010 01:49 AM

On 10/14/2010 12:21 PM, BlueBrooke wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 11:37:30 -0600, Tiger > wrote:

>>> Garlic is something I always peel....... but we were talking about
>>> Ginger, and that should be peeled too.
>>>

>> arrgghh, i typed garlic and meant ginger
>>
>> i've never peeled ginger, not ever....... learn something new every day
>>
>> ty
>> kate

> LOL Kate -- don't you hate when that happens? I've read that some
> people don't peel ginger. I just can't seem to use it if it isn't
> peeled, so I just do. The "teaspoon trick" takes just seconds, so
> that was really neet to learn.
>
> I know some people also eat sweet potato skins, but I can't manage
> that, either. So take it for what it's worth. :-D

well, now i'm really going to have to see what difference it makes

but darn, i'm lazy, and not peeling the root worked for me :D

kate

W. Baker 15-10-2010 07:04 PM

Ozgirl > wrote:

: I eat sweet potato skins and pumpkin skins too. I never peel ginger. I
: bought a novelty grater once, it is a mini grater, looks just like the
: large ones (the pyramid style with a handle on top) but fabulous for
: garlic and ginger. Its about 2 inches high. Because the grating holes
: are much smaller it is ideal for finely grated small things. Not
: suitable for cheese (except the hard, dried out style cheeses) as the
: holes are way too small.

AHA! Now we know he secret of how you managed to get thin enough etc to
be able to eat so much less diabetically:-) All that indigestible
fiber(fibre) is what is doing that:-)

Wendy

Julie Bove[_2_] 15-10-2010 11:28 PM

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 13:21:59 -0500, BlueBrooke
> > wrote:
>
>>I know some people also eat sweet potato skins, but I can't manage
>>that, either. So take it for what it's worth. :-D

> Oo! I'll have yours :) I love sweet potato - whether it's mash, chips,
> wedges, or roasted skins with dips... and they like my bg :)

I don't like sweet potatoes at all and they aren't any better for my BG than
regular potatoes.

Ozgirl 16-10-2010 02:47 AM

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl > wrote:
>

> : I eat sweet potato skins and pumpkin skins too. I never peel ginger.
> : bought a novelty grater once, it is a mini grater, looks just like
> the
> : large ones (the pyramid style with a handle on top) but fabulous for
> : garlic and ginger. Its about 2 inches high. Because the grating
> holes
> : are much smaller it is ideal for finely grated small things. Not
> : suitable for cheese (except the hard, dried out style cheeses) as
> the
> : holes are way too small.
>
> AHA! Now we know he secret of how you managed to get thin enough etc
> be able to eat so much less diabetically:-) All that indigestible
> fiber(fibre) is what is doing that:-)

lol :) My family leave their skins on their plate and I dutifully eat
theirs :)

W. Baker 16-10-2010 06:07 PM

I just learned a great cooking trick

Ozgirl > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Ozgirl > wrote:
: >
: >
: >
[...]

Better than pysillium(sp?) husks! I used to love it when my kids were
small and only ate the inside of a baked potato.

Wendy

Evelyn 16-10-2010 06:46 PM

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl > wrote:
>

> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > Ozgirl > wrote:
> : >
> : >
> : >
> : > : I eat sweet potato skins and pumpkin skins too. I never peel ginger.
> : > I
> : > : bought a novelty grater once, it is a mini grater, looks just like
> : > the
> : > : large ones (the pyramid style with a handle on top) but fabulous for
> : > : garlic and ginger. Its about 2 inches high. Because the grating
> : > holes
> : > : are much smaller it is ideal for finely grated small things. Not
> : > : suitable for cheese (except the hard, dried out style cheeses) as
> : > the
> : > : holes are way too small.
> : >
> : > AHA! Now we know he secret of how you managed to get thin enough etc
> : > be able to eat so much less diabetically:-) All that indigestible
> : > fiber(fibre) is what is doing that:-)
> : >
>
> : lol :) My family leave their skins on their plate and I dutifully eat
> : theirs :)
> Better than pysillium(sp?) husks! I used to love it when my kids were
> small and only ate the inside of a baked potato.
>
> Wendy

I still only eat the inside, because I read somewhere that there are lots of
pesticides on the skins, even if you scrub them very well (which I do). I
used to eat the skins before that, but only when they have been baked in the
real oven. Nowadays I mostly just microwave the potatoes to get baked
potatoes. They taste wonderful that way, too.

Ozgirl 17-10-2010 02:58 AM

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl > wrote:
>

> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > Ozgirl > wrote:
> : >
> : >
> : >
> : > : I eat sweet potato skins and pumpkin skins too. I never peel
> ginger.
> : > I
> : > : bought a novelty grater once, it is a mini grater, looks just
> like
> : > the
> : > : large ones (the pyramid style with a handle on top) but fabulous
> for
> : > : garlic and ginger. Its about 2 inches high. Because the grating
> : > holes
> : > : are much smaller it is ideal for finely grated small things. Not
> : > : suitable for cheese (except the hard, dried out style cheeses)
> as
> : > the
> : > : holes are way too small.
> : >
> : > AHA! Now we know he secret of how you managed to get thin enough
> etc
> : > be able to eat so much less diabetically:-) All that indigestible
> : > fiber(fibre) is what is doing that:-)
> : >
>
> : lol :) My family leave their skins on their plate and I dutifully
> eat
> : theirs :)
> Better than pysillium(sp?) husks! I used to love it when my kids were
> small and only ate the inside of a baked potato.

We are sisters! :)

Julie Bove[_2_] 17-10-2010 09:35 AM

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Ozgirl > wrote:
>>

>> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> : ...
>> : > Ozgirl > wrote:
>> : >
>> : >
>> : >
>> : > : I eat sweet potato skins and pumpkin skins too. I never peel
>> ginger.
>> : > I
>> : > : bought a novelty grater once, it is a mini grater, looks just like
>> : > the
>> : > : large ones (the pyramid style with a handle on top) but fabulous
>> for
>> : > : garlic and ginger. Its about 2 inches high. Because the grating
>> : > holes
>> : > : are much smaller it is ideal for finely grated small things. Not
>> : > : suitable for cheese (except the hard, dried out style cheeses) as
>> : > the
>> : > : holes are way too small.
>> : >
>> : > AHA! Now we know he secret of how you managed to get thin enough etc
>> : > be able to eat so much less diabetically:-) All that indigestible
>> : > fiber(fibre) is what is doing that:-)
>> : >
>>
>> : lol :) My family leave their skins on their plate and I dutifully eat
>> : theirs :)
>> Better than pysillium(sp?) husks! I used to love it when my kids were
>> small and only ate the inside of a baked potato.
>>
>> Wendy

> I still only eat the inside, because I read somewhere that there are lots
> of pesticides on the skins, even if you scrub them very well (which I do).
> I used to eat the skins before that, but only when they have been baked in
> the real oven. Nowadays I mostly just microwave the potatoes to get
> baked potatoes. They taste wonderful that way, too.

Why not just buy organic?

Julie Bove[_2_] 17-10-2010 09:41 AM

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 11:47:16 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> > wrote:
>

>>"W. Baker" > wrote in message
>>> Ozgirl > wrote:
>>>

>>> : I eat sweet potato skins and pumpkin skins too. I never peel ginger.
>>> : bought a novelty grater once, it is a mini grater, looks just like
>>> the
>>> : large ones (the pyramid style with a handle on top) but fabulous for
>>> : garlic and ginger. Its about 2 inches high. Because the grating
>>> holes
>>> : are much smaller it is ideal for finely grated small things. Not
>>> : suitable for cheese (except the hard, dried out style cheeses) as
>>> the
>>> : holes are way too small.
>>>
>>> AHA! Now we know he secret of how you managed to get thin enough etc
>>> be able to eat so much less diabetically:-) All that indigestible
>>> fiber(fibre) is what is doing that:-)
>>>

>>lol :) My family leave their skins on their plate and I dutifully eat
>>theirs :)

> The only time I peel a spud is when there is green skin. Otherwise I
> cook and eat it skin and all; that includes mashed spuds.

I will no longer eat potatoes with any green or sprouts. I got soooo sick
to my stomach after doing that. Angela got sick too.

Evelyn 17-10-2010 12:28 PM

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>>
>> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>>> Ozgirl > wrote:
>>>

>>> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>>> : ...
>>> : > Ozgirl > wrote:
>>> : >
>>> : >
>>> : >
>>> : > : I eat sweet potato skins and pumpkin skins too. I never peel
>>> ginger.
>>> : > I
>>> : > : bought a novelty grater once, it is a mini grater, looks just like
>>> : > the
>>> : > : large ones (the pyramid style with a handle on top) but fabulous
>>> for
>>> : > : garlic and ginger. Its about 2 inches high. Because the grating
>>> : > holes
>>> : > : are much smaller it is ideal for finely grated small things. Not
>>> : > : suitable for cheese (except the hard, dried out style cheeses) as
>>> : > the
>>> : > : holes are way too small.
>>> : >
>>> : > AHA! Now we know he secret of how you managed to get thin enough
>>> etc
>>> : > be able to eat so much less diabetically:-) All that indigestible
>>> : > fiber(fibre) is what is doing that:-)
>>> : >
>>>
>>> : lol :) My family leave their skins on their plate and I dutifully eat
>>> : theirs :)
>>> Better than pysillium(sp?) husks! I used to love it when my kids were
>>> small and only ate the inside of a baked potato.
>>>
>>> Wendy

>> I still only eat the inside, because I read somewhere that there are lots
>> of pesticides on the skins, even if you scrub them very well (which I
>> do). I used to eat the skins before that, but only when they have been
>> baked in the real oven. Nowadays I mostly just microwave the potatoes
>> to get baked potatoes. They taste wonderful that way, too.

> Why not just buy organic?

They don't sell the organic ones at Sam's club, but the ones they do sell
are excellent in quality and flavor. So I peel them and it is all fine.

Bjørn Steensrud 17-10-2010 01:24 PM

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 01:41:23 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Alan S" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 11:47:16 +1000, "Ozgirl"
>> > wrote:

>>>lol :) My family leave their skins on their plate and I dutifully eat
>>>theirs :)

>> The only time I peel a spud is when there is green skin. Otherwise I
>> cook and eat it skin and all; that includes mashed spuds.

> I will no longer eat potatoes with any green or sprouts. I got soooo
> sick to my stomach after doing that. Angela got sick too.

No wonder you did, the shoots contain solanin, and so do green potatoes.
Alan, if you got away with cutting away the green part, you were lucky.
That's just chlorophyll - the entire spud starts producing solanin as a
defense agains insects (and people). Solanin is a nasty poison!

Evelyn 17-10-2010 02:56 PM

I just learned a great cooking trick

"BjørnSteensrud" > wrote in message
g...
> On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 01:41:23 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> "Alan S" > wrote in message
>>> On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 11:47:16 +1000, "Ozgirl"

>>> The only time I peel a spud is when there is green skin. Otherwise I
>>> cook and eat it skin and all; that includes mashed spuds.

>> I will no longer eat potatoes with any green or sprouts. I got soooo
>> sick to my stomach after doing that. Angela got sick too.

> No wonder you did, the shoots contain solanin, and so do green potatoes.
> Alan, if you got away with cutting away the green part, you were lucky.
> That's just chlorophyll - the entire spud starts producing solanin as a
> defense agains insects (and people). Solanin is a nasty poison!

I throw out green potatoes, but if there are a few white sprouts I simply
cut them off and peel the potato as usual.

Bjørn Steensrud 17-10-2010 04:30 PM

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 09:56:01 -0400, Evelyn wrote:

> "BjørnSteensrud" > wrote in
> message g...

[deletia]
>> as a defense agains insects (and people). Solanin is a nasty
>> poison!

> I throw out green potatoes, but if there are a few white sprouts I
> simply cut them off and peel the potato as usual.

Yes - as long as the potato is not green, the solanin is only in the
sprouts. It has a bitter taste, if you want to try :-)

W. Baker 17-10-2010 08:02 PM

I just learned a great cooking trick

Tiger Lily > wrote:
: >> On 10/16/2010 1:46 PM, Evelyn wrote:
: >>
: >>> I still only eat the inside, because I read somewhere that there are
: >>> lots of pesticides on the skins, even if you scrub them very well (which
: >>> I do). I used to eat the skins before that, but only when they have been
: >>> baked in the real oven. Nowadays I mostly just microwave the potatoes to
: >>> get baked potatoes. They taste wonderful that way, too.
: >>>
: >>
: >> I buy organic, scrub them and I love the skins. Microwaving sweet
: >> potatoes deprives you of that wonderful carmelization you get from the
: >> ooze. If I have little time, I'll nuke half way and finish them in the
: >> oven. Nuking is convenient, but is so much less flavorful than roasting.
: >>
: >> Susan
: >
: i'm with Susan, i want my baked tater NOW and don't want to wait the
: whole time

: so, nuke them for 5 to 8 min (4 large ones)

: remove and wrap in tin foil

: throw on the BBQ for another 30 min

: amazing! :D

: ok, 15 to 20 on the BBQ is all they need, but i like them well cooked :D

: kate

I don't like them in foil as it kind of seams them. This is a problem
with resaran aked otatooes. Even the skin is no worth eating as i is too
soft.

Wendy

W. Baker 17-10-2010 08:11 PM

I just learned a great cooking trick

Evelyn > wrote:

: "Bj?rnSteensrud" > wrote in message
: g...
[...]

: --
: Best Regards,
: Evelyn

Sprouts are not a problem until hey get long and man enough to soften the
potato. We used to buy a bushel of keeper potatoes in the country and
keep them in our basement(which we discovered never froze) and take soem
ome every time we went up durign the winter. Came the spring we would
come up one weekend and find long tangles of sprouts. Those babies really
wanted to be planted:-)

Wendy

Julie Bove[_2_] 17-10-2010 10:07 PM

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "BjørnSteensrud" > wrote in message
> g...

>>> I will no longer eat potatoes with any green or sprouts. I got soooo
>>> sick to my stomach after doing that. Angela got sick too.

>> No wonder you did, the shoots contain solanin, and so do green potatoes.
>> Alan, if you got away with cutting away the green part, you were lucky.
>> That's just chlorophyll - the entire spud starts producing solanin as a
>> defense agains insects (and people). Solanin is a nasty poison!

> I throw out green potatoes, but if there are a few white sprouts I simply
> cut them off and peel the potato as usual.

That's what I used to do. Got away with it for years. But no more.

Julie Bove[_2_] 17-10-2010 10:11 PM

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Tiger Lily > wrote:
> : >> On 10/16/2010 1:46 PM, Evelyn wrote:
> : >>
> : >>> I still only eat the inside, because I read somewhere that there are
> : >>> lots of pesticides on the skins, even if you scrub them very well
> (which
> : >>> I do). I used to eat the skins before that, but only when they have
> been
> : >>> baked in the real oven. Nowadays I mostly just microwave the
> potatoes to
> : >>> get baked potatoes. They taste wonderful that way, too.
> : >>>
> : >>
> : >> I buy organic, scrub them and I love the skins. Microwaving sweet
> : >> potatoes deprives you of that wonderful carmelization you get from
> the
> : >> ooze. If I have little time, I'll nuke half way and finish them in
> the
> : >> oven. Nuking is convenient, but is so much less flavorful than
> roasting.
> : >>
> : >> Susan
> : >
> : i'm with Susan, i want my baked tater NOW and don't want to wait the
> : whole time
>
> : so, nuke them for 5 to 8 min (4 large ones)
>
> : remove and wrap in tin foil
>
> : throw on the BBQ for another 30 min
>
> : amazing! :D
>
> : ok, 15 to 20 on the BBQ is all they need, but i like them well cooked :D
>
> : kate
>
> I don't like them in foil as it kind of seams them. This is a problem
> with resaran aked otatooes. Even the skin is no worth eating as i is too
> soft.

My mom taught me to wrap them in foil. She said that way they wouldn't
explode. That made no sense to me. My friend said all you had to do was
prick them with a fork. She claims she did have one explode when she forgot
to prick it. I prefer not wrapped in foil. I do prick. I never had one
explode.

Julie Bove[_2_] 17-10-2010 11:09 PM

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> I still only eat the inside, because I read somewhere that there are
>>> lots of pesticides on the skins, even if you scrub them very well (which
>>> I do). I used to eat the skins before that, but only when they have been
>>> baked in the real oven. Nowadays I mostly just microwave the potatoes
>>> to get baked potatoes. They taste wonderful that way, too.

>> Why not just buy organic?

> They don't sell the organic ones at Sam's club, but the ones they do sell
> are excellent in quality and flavor. So I peel them and it is all fine.

Oh. I don't shop at Sam's Club.

Julie Bove[_2_] 18-10-2010 12:05 AM

"Alan S" > wrote in message

>>> I will no longer eat potatoes with any green or sprouts. I got soooo
>>> sick to my stomach after doing that. Angela got sick too.

>>No wonder you did, the shoots contain solanin, and so do green potatoes.
>>Alan, if you got away with cutting away the green part, you were lucky.
>>That's just chlorophyll - the entire spud starts producing solanin as a
>>defense agains insects (and people). Solanin is a nasty poison!

> I've never had a problem from it, nor have those I cook for. I don't
> mean the whole potato is green, just some areas of the skin.
>
> Bear in mind that for me a serve is less than the size of a golf ball.

I never had a problem with it either. For years I cut the green and/or
shoots off of my potatoes. It was someone either here or ASD that sent me a
link about them. Never again. Potatoes are cheap.

Actually, Angela for whatever reason seems to prefer instant mashed. So no
problems there.

Evelyn 18-10-2010 12:57 AM

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Tiger Lily > wrote:
>> : >> On 10/16/2010 1:46 PM, Evelyn wrote:
>> : >>
>> : >>> I still only eat the inside, because I read somewhere that there
>> are
>> : >>> lots of pesticides on the skins, even if you scrub them very well
>> (which
>> : >>> I do). I used to eat the skins before that, but only when they have
>> been
>> : >>> baked in the real oven. Nowadays I mostly just microwave the
>> potatoes to
>> : >>> get baked potatoes. They taste wonderful that way, too.
>> : >>>
>> : >>
>> : >> I buy organic, scrub them and I love the skins. Microwaving sweet
>> : >> potatoes deprives you of that wonderful carmelization you get from
>> the
>> : >> ooze. If I have little time, I'll nuke half way and finish them in
>> the
>> : >> oven. Nuking is convenient, but is so much less flavorful than
>> roasting.
>> : >>
>> : >> Susan
>> : >
>> : i'm with Susan, i want my baked tater NOW and don't want to wait the
>> : whole time
>>
>> : so, nuke them for 5 to 8 min (4 large ones)
>>
>> : remove and wrap in tin foil
>>
>> : throw on the BBQ for another 30 min
>>
>> : amazing! :D
>>
>> : ok, 15 to 20 on the BBQ is all they need, but i like them well cooked
>> :D
>>
>> : kate
>>
>> I don't like them in foil as it kind of seams them. This is a problem
>> with resaran aked otatooes. Even the skin is no worth eating as i is too
>> soft.

> My mom taught me to wrap them in foil. She said that way they wouldn't
> explode. That made no sense to me. My friend said all you had to do was
> prick them with a fork. She claims she did have one explode when she
> forgot to prick it. I prefer not wrapped in foil. I do prick. I never
> had one explode.

As long as you prick it with a fork or a knife to make a hole for the steam
to escape, they won't explode. I had one explode once, years ago. What a
mess. You don't want to know.

Evelyn 18-10-2010 11:16 PM

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> don't go through all of that just fork it several times with a large meat
> fork, I do five minutes on a side turning one quarter of the squash then
> five more until complete, Lee

Thanks Lee.

I usually cut it in half, scoop out all the seeds, then put the two sides
together again, wrap the whole thing in foil, then bake it for an hour, or
till it is tender to the touch.

Then I let it cool down, then scrape out all the stringy squash from inside
the shells and reserve it. Toss out the shells.

Melt some butter in a fry pan, toss in a chopped onion and saute' it till it
is soft. Then add the squash strings, add salt and pepper to taste, and
saute' it with the onions till the flavors meld.

It is incredibly delicious this way, has a lovely texture, and my husband
loves it.

I am hoping to cut out the oven step, by nuking it first.

Storrmmee 18-10-2010 11:24 PM

I just learned a great cooking trick

what you do is similar to how we do it, we also eat it as a dessert, but if
you just plunge the meat fork in all the way up to the hilt several times it
works fine, and the seeds come out easier, Lee