Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tips and Trick of Cooking

If just a few drops of lemon juice are required do not cut whole lemon.
Roll lemon on a hard surface to soften the skin, prick a hole with a
cocktail or skewer. Press out... visit
http://indianfoodstuff.blogspot.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jay asked:

> What do you cook that needs just a *FEW* drops of lemon juice?

Fried scallops or a shrimp cocktail.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> jay asked:
>
> > What do you cook that needs just a *FEW* drops of lemon juice?

> Fried scallops or a shrimp cocktail.

You stink up your entire abode to cook just one shrimp?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> You stink up your entire abode to cook just one shrimp?

Boiling enough shrimp for a shrimp cocktail would only stink up a really
tiny unventilated house. If that describes your situation, then don't do it.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dipsee Dipshit wrote:

> If just a few drops of lemon juice are required do not cut whole lemon.
> Roll lemon on a hard surface to soften the skin, prick a hole with a
> cocktail or skewer. Press out..

Odds are that the smushed, stabbed, and squeezed lemon will go back
into the fridge where it will be forgotten till it rots, which will be
in about three days once smushed, stabbed, and squeezed. It's much
better to slice off a couple wedges for your dish and use the rest to
enhance your imbibing... no lemon gets wasted so long as there's some
vodka, wine, or better yet a pitcher of bloody marys. Lemons are
cheap, I don't see the point in this stupid tip/trick... it's lke
opening a beer, sipping a few drops, and saving the rest for days
later.

Sheldon Citrus

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jay wrote:
> On 3 Nov 2006 13:39:02 -0600, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>
> > jay asked:
> >
> >> What do you cook that needs just a *FEW* drops of lemon juice?

> > Fried scallops or a shrimp cocktail.
> >
> > Bob

> Ok, if you are cooking for one .. maybe.

Maybe... like when you smell like a brewery and the cop asked how many
beers and you say just one... yeah, right... like he's gonna believe
you.

He's boiling shrimp for one cocktail, and thinks eight shrimp won't
stink up his entire abode the same as if it were a two pound sackful.
Btw, no normal brained person boils shrimp for just one cocktail...
that's nuttier than opening a big bag of potato chip and a pint of dip
and claiming you ate just one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> jay wrote:
>> On 3 Nov 2006 13:39:02 -0600, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>>
>>> jay asked:

>>> Fried scallops or a shrimp cocktail.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> Ok, if you are cooking for one .. maybe.

> Maybe... like when you smell like a brewery and the cop asked how many
> beers and you say just one... yeah, right... like he's gonna believe
> you.

Could be frozen pre-cooked shrimp; no cooking required for a shrimp
cocktail.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > jay wrote:

> >> Ok, if you are cooking for one .. maybe.

> > Maybe... like when you smell like a brewery and the cop asked how many
> > beers and you say just one... yeah, right... like he's gonna believe
> > you.
> >

> Could be frozen pre-cooked shrimp; no cooking required for a shrimp
> cocktail.

Coulda been... but he already agreed that he cooked them... and even
thawing precooked frozen shimp stinks. And many a time I had to scrub
that smell off my fingers 'cause no one was gonna believe it was from
shrimp... that's the only time that saved lemon comes in handy... and
then gargle with aqua vulva! hehe

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jay wrote:
> On 3 Nov 2006 13:02:09 -0800, Sheldon wrote:
>
> > it's like
> > opening a beer, sipping a few drops, and saving the rest for days
> > later.

> A little too frugal. RR had a lemon tricky tip too. Cut the lemon in half
> and squeeze it with the cut half *up* so the seeds will stay in the lemon.
>
> I admit to trying it. The seeds popped right over the top, through my
> fingers and into the dish .. the juice ran down my arm. LOL

Once citrus is breached/violated after a few hours it doesn't
smell/taste anywhere close to virginal fresh. That's why barkeeps toss
out all the cut citrus at the end of their shift.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3 Nov 2006 13:39:02 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>jay asked:
>
>> What do you cook that needs just a *FEW* drops of lemon juice?

>Fried scallops or a shrimp cocktail.

Bob, Bob, Bob.... there is no such thing as "a few" drops of lemon
when you like the flavor of lemon - especially on a seafood cocktail.

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3 Nov 2006 11:54:23 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>> jay asked:
>>
>> > What do you cook that needs just a *FEW* drops of lemon juice?

>> Fried scallops or a shrimp cocktail.

>You stink up your entire abode to cook just one shrimp?

So it's a "shrimps" cocktail?

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3 Nov 2006 13:14:03 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>He's boiling shrimp for one cocktail, and thinks eight shrimp won't
>stink up his entire abode the same as if it were a two pound sackful.
>Btw, no normal brained person boils shrimp for just one cocktail...
>that's nuttier than opening a big bag of potato chip and a pint of dip
>and claiming you ate just one.

Maybe he went to Costo and got a 5# (I made up that number) bag of
frozen precooked, shelled shrimp. Mmmm. Good stuff.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3 Nov 2006 13:42:57 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>and even thawing precooked frozen shimp stinks.

Good heavens! How long have those shrimp been sitting around?

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 03 Nov 2006 11:29:01p, Bob Terwilliger meant to say...

>>> Fried scallops or a shrimp cocktail.
>>>

>> Bob, Bob, Bob.... there is no such thing as "a few" drops of lemon
>> when you like the flavor of lemon - especially on a seafood cocktail.
>>

> I add the few drops of lemon juice to help "brighten" the flavor of the
> seafood, not to bring forth a discernible flavor of lemon.

Some of us apparently like more "brightness" than others. :-) I know I do.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Cats must try to kill the curlicues of ribbon on
the finished packages.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> He's boiling shrimp for one cocktail, and thinks eight shrimp won't
> stink up his entire abode the same as if it were a two pound sackful.

You have correctly interpreted what I said, and I am correct in that
assertion. It's a simple (and easily verified) fact that boiling a few
shrimp *does* result in less odor given off than boiling an entire bag of
shrimp. At any rate, my kitchen is spacious and well-ventilated; I have no
problem with lingering odors from my cooking. Even the smell from heating
belacan dissipates in a matter of minutes -- and it's not like YOU would
notice anyway, since you don't even notice the cat **** reek in your own
home.

> Btw, no normal brained person boils shrimp for just one cocktail...
> that's nuttier than opening a big bag of potato chip and a pint of dip
> and claiming you ate just one.

If you weren't such an idiot, you might realize that it's possible to cook
the remaining shrimp in DIFFERENT ways than boiling them. I can make scampi
from some of the remaining shrimp. I can grill some of the remaining shrimp.
I can use some of them in gumbos. I can use some of them in Creole shrimp. I
can use some of them in curries. I can use some of them in stir-fries. I can
make bisque with some of them. Why should I boil ALL of them?

Get a clue, dolt.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>>> What do you cook that needs just a *FEW* drops of lemon juice?

>> Fried scallops or a shrimp cocktail.
>>

> Bob, Bob, Bob.... there is no such thing as "a few" drops of lemon
> when you like the flavor of lemon - especially on a seafood cocktail.

I add the few drops of lemon juice to help "brighten" the flavor of the
seafood, not to bring forth a discernible flavor of lemon.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf wrote:

> On 3 Nov 2006 13:14:03 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>

> >He's boiling shrimp for one cocktail, and thinks eight shrimp won't
> >stink up his entire abode the same as if it were a two pound sackful.
> >Btw, no normal brained person boils shrimp for just one cocktail...
> >that's nuttier than opening a big bag of potato chip and a pint of dip
> >and claiming you ate just one.

> Maybe he went to Costo and got a 5# (I made up that number) bag of
> frozen precooked, shelled shrimp. Mmmm. Good stuff.

I buy those things all the time! 2 lb. bags of frozen peeled and
pre-cooked cocktail shrimp are $9.99 per bag. If added to cooked dishes,
I thaw them in the sink with hot tap water and add them to the dish last
so they don't get over-cooked. (they are perfect the way they are!). I
also add them to salads thawed in cold water.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On 3 Nov 2006 13:42:57 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>
> >and even thawing precooked frozen shimp stinks.

> Good heavens! How long have those shrimp been sitting around?

Sitting around doesn't enter the equation, all precooked frozen shrimp
stink as/while they thaw.... they weep, that liquid stinks.

To me only fresh shrimp are worth eating... and grilled or sauted...
boiling ruins shrimp (unless it's soup/stew you're after). Frozen
shrimp, whether precooked or raw are not even fit for cat food.... I
mean frozen seafood is bad enough, who in their sane mine would want to
pay good money for precooked frozen seafood... I mean how many people
cook fresh fish and then freeze the left overs... Mrs. Paul! Shrimp
cocktail is highly over rated, that garbage (and make no mistake about
it, it's definitely garbage) they pawn off as appetizer is nothing but
a bowlful of spiced up ketchup with a few old precooked frozen shrimp
with the nuance of unwashed crotch... and the prices they charge, they
couldn't pay me enough to indulge. Shrimp cocktail is a pretty
disgusting concoction... and why is it predominately the gals who swoon
over of this culinary abortion... makes me think they possess latent
kinky homo tendancies (eating lesbo on the rag).

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf wrote:

> On 3 Nov 2006 13:42:57 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>
> >and even thawing precooked frozen shimp stinks.

> Good heavens! How long have those shrimp been sitting around?

Indeed!

I'm beginning to get the feeling that he just does not like shrimp...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh pshaw, on Fri 03 Nov 2006 11:29:01p, Bob Terwilliger meant to say...

> >> Bob, Bob, Bob.... there is no such thing as "a few" drops of lemon
> >> when you like the flavor of lemon - especially on a seafood cocktail.
> >>

> > I add the few drops of lemon juice to help "brighten" the flavor of the
> > seafood, not to bring forth a discernible flavor of lemon.

> Some of us apparently like more "brightness" than others. :-) I know I do.

Ditto here. ;-)
My lemon butter recipe for dipping is the juice of one whole lemon to
1\2 cube (2 oz.) of butter.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 07:52:44 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>I'm beginning to get the feeling that he just does not like shrimp...

Hmmm.... Could be a guy thing! Bad memories may be linked to that
word. LOL

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 04 Nov 2006 12:07:30p, Jean B. meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Oh pshaw, on Fri 03 Nov 2006 11:29:01p, Bob Terwilliger meant to say...
>>> I add the few drops of lemon juice to help "brighten" the flavor of
>>> the seafood, not to bring forth a discernible flavor of lemon.

>> Some of us apparently like more "brightness" than others. :-) I know I
>> do.
>>

> Same here. I almost invariably use A LOT more lemon than
> called for in a recipe--and when there's no recipe, the
> results of my tinkering are apt to be pretty darned lemony.

I tend to do that, too, Jean.

If you like lemon meringue pie, you might like this one as it's especially
lemony.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Ultimate Lemon Meringue Pie

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 9 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts Pies

-----PASTRY CRUST-----
1 1/2 c All-purpose flour
3/4 ts Salt
6 oz Crisco vegetable shortening
5 tb Ice water
-----FILLING-----
2 1/4 c Water
1 1/2 c Sugar
3/4 c Fresh lemon juice
9 ea Large egg yolks
7 1/2 tb Cornstarch
3 tb Grated lemon peel
3/8 ts Salt
3 tb Unsalted butter
-----MERINGUE-----
7 ea Large egg whites
1/2 ts Cream of tartar
1 2/3 c Powdered sugar

PASTRY CRUST: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Combine flour and salt in
large mixing bowl. Cut shortening into flour mixture until the consistency
of small peas. Add ice water 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing mixture
together with 2 forks. When mixture can be pressed together to form a
mass, form into a flattened ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for
1 hour before rolling out.

Roll pastry to 1/8-inch thickness. Gently fit into pie plate, crimp edges,
and prick with a fork. Place in freezer for 10-15 minutes, or until quite
firm. Line pastry with aluminum foil, fill foil-lined pastry with beans,
rice, or pie weights. If using glass pie place, allow to rest until pie
plate is no longer cold.

Bake 15 minutes, remove foil and weights, and continue baking 15-20 minutes
or until very lightly browned. Remove from oven to rack and cool
completely. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F.

FILLING: Whisk first 7 ingredients in heavy medium saucepan to blend.
Using whisk, stir over medium heat until filling thickens and just begins
to boil, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat. Whisk in butter. Spoon
hot filling into prepared crust.

MERINGUE: Using elecric mixer, beat egg whites in large stainless steel
bowl at low speed until foamy. Beat in cream of tartar and 1 tablespoon
sugar. gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat at
medium speed until stiff glossy peaks form, about 8 minutes.

Spread meringue over warm filling, covering completely, sealing meringue to
crust edges and mounding in center. (This will seem like far too much
meringue, but after baking the meringue will shrink in height, and will not
separate or weep.)

Bake pie for 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 275 degrees F. and
continue to bake untiil meringue is golden brown and set when pie is shaken
slightly, about 50 minutes. Transfer pie to rack and cool completely,
about 4 hours. (Can be baked 1 day ahead. Refrigerate uncovered.)

--
Wayne Boatwright

A light heart lives long.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> jay wrote:
>> On 3 Nov 2006 13:02:09 -0800, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>>> it's like
>>> opening a beer, sipping a few drops, and saving the rest for days
>>> later.

>> A little too frugal. RR had a lemon tricky tip too. Cut the lemon in half
>> and squeeze it with the cut half *up* so the seeds will stay in the lemon.
>>
>> I admit to trying it. The seeds popped right over the top, through my
>> fingers and into the dish .. the juice ran down my arm. LOL

> Once citrus is breached/violated after a few hours it doesn't
> smell/taste anywhere close to virginal fresh. That's why barkeeps toss
> out all the cut citrus at the end of their shift.

Oh yeah. You are reminding me of this wonderful-sounding
(Whole Foods) grilled artichoke and lemon thang that I had to
try. It tasted like lemons that had been cut a LONG time ago.
Yuck!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Oh pshaw, on Fri 03 Nov 2006 11:29:01p, Bob Terwilliger meant to say...
>> I add the few drops of lemon juice to help "brighten" the flavor of the
>> seafood, not to bring forth a discernible flavor of lemon.

> Some of us apparently like more "brightness" than others. :-) I know I do.

Same here. I almost invariably use A LOT more lemon than
called for in a recipe--and when there's no recipe, the
results of my tinkering are apt to be pretty darned lemony.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> Ditto here. ;-)
> My lemon butter recipe for dipping is the juice of one whole lemon to
> 1\2 cube (2 oz.) of butter.

Oh yes, and then there's Hollandaise Sauce. I am very happy
(or maybe unhappy?) that I discovered this when recipes called
for a goodly amount of lemon juice. Many recipes I have seen
in recent years seem to have a mere hint of lemon juice.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

: Once citrus is breached/violated after a few hours it doesn't
: smell/taste anywhere close to virginal fresh. That's why barkeeps toss
: out all the cut citrus at the end of their shift.

Barkeeps don't throw anything out at the end of their shift unless the
establishment is preparing to close. The evening bartender will use
the citrus that was left there when he took over for the day bartender.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> [...]

> hot filling into prepared crust.
>
> MERINGUE: Using elecric mixer, beat egg whites in large stainless steel
> bowl at low speed until foamy. Beat in cream of tartar and 1 tablespoon
> sugar. gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat at
> medium speed until stiff glossy peaks form, about 8 minutes.
>
> Spread meringue over warm filling, covering completely, sealing meringue to
> crust edges and mounding in center. (This will seem like far too much
> meringue, but after baking the meringue will shrink in height, and will not
> separate or weep.)
>
> Bake pie for 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 275 degrees F. and
> continue to bake untiil meringue is golden brown and set when pie is shaken
> slightly, about 50 minutes. Transfer pie to rack and cool completely,
> about 4 hours. (Can be baked 1 day ahead. Refrigerate uncovered.)

Oh yippee! Thank you, Wayne. I really don't like sweet lemon
pies.

BTW, speaking of sweet, and maybe this is a tip/trick, I
always add some chopped cranberries to blueberry recipes (pie,
muffins, etc.) so they have more depth of flavor and aren't
just sweet.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Wed 08 Nov 2006 08:24:45a, Jean B. meant to say...

> Oh yippee! Thank you, Wayne. I really don't like sweet lemon
> pies.
>
> BTW, speaking of sweet, and maybe this is a tip/trick, I
> always add some chopped cranberries to blueberry recipes (pie,
> muffins, etc.) so they have more depth of flavor and aren't
> just sweet.

That's a great idea, Jean. I would never have thought to combine cranberries
with blueberries, and I love cranberries. I will give that a try the next
time I bake with blueberries. I often add fresh cranberries to apple pie for
the same reason.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> That's a great idea, Jean. I would never have thought to combine cranberries
> with blueberries, and I love cranberries. I will give that a try the next
> time I bake with blueberries. I often add fresh cranberries to apple pie for
> the same reason.

And for some reason, I usually don't add them to apple pie and
was thinking I should!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 09 Nov 2006 09:05:15a, Jean B. meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> That's a great idea, Jean. I would never have thought to combine
>> cranberries with blueberries, and I love cranberries. I will give that
>> a try the next time I bake with blueberries. I often add fresh
>> cranberries to apple pie for the same reason.
>>

> And for some reason, I usually don't add them to apple pie and
> was thinking I should!

I actually began adding them to apples because there are so many bland apples
these days. I don't generally add lemon when I do that. It's a nice twist.

--
Wayne Boatwright

(I may not agree with a word you say, but I shall
defend unto my death your right to say it. (Voltaire)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> "Sheldon" wrote:
> >
> >He's boiling shrimp for one cocktail, and thinks eight shrimp won't
> >stink up his entire abode the same as if it were a two pound sackful.
> >Btw, no normal brained person boils shrimp for just one cocktail...
> >that's nuttier than opening a big bag of potato chip and a pint of dip
> >and claiming you ate just one.

> Maybe he went to Costo and got a 5# (I made up that number) bag of
> frozen precooked, shelled shrimp. Mmmm. Good stuff.

Frozen shimp is disgusting, precooked frozen shrimp is attrociously
fetid... perhps you enjoy sucking unwashed crotch. Mmmm. Good stuff.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9 Nov 2006 16:20:48 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> "Sheldon" wrote:
>> >
>> >He's boiling shrimp for one cocktail, and thinks eight shrimp won't
>> >stink up his entire abode the same as if it were a two pound sackful.
>> >Btw, no normal brained person boils shrimp for just one cocktail...
>> >that's nuttier than opening a big bag of potato chip and a pint of dip
>> >and claiming you ate just one.

>> Maybe he went to Costo and got a 5# (I made up that number) bag of
>> frozen precooked, shelled shrimp. Mmmm. Good stuff.

>Frozen shimp is disgusting, precooked frozen shrimp is attrociously
>fetid... perhps you enjoy sucking unwashed crotch. Mmmm. Good stuff.

To each his own. You eat what you like, I'll eat what I like.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
> > Sheldon wrote:

> > > Maybe... like when you smell like a brewery and the cop asked how many
> > > beers and you say just one... yeah, right... like he's gonna believe
> > > you.
> > >

> > Could be frozen pre-cooked shrimp; no cooking required for a shrimp
> > cocktail.

> Coulda been... but he already agreed that he cooked them... and even
> thawing precooked frozen shimp stinks. And many a time I had to scrub
> that smell off my fingers 'cause no one was gonna believe it was from
> shrimp... that's the only time that saved lemon comes in handy... and
> then gargle with aqua vulva! hehe
>
> Sheldon

In your case, dogturd, we'd believe it! Not counting your collection of
inflatable love-dolls, I'm sure the closest you can get to a woman is
on a city bus, and only then if they don't have room to move further
away.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> sf wrote:
> > "Sheldon" wrote:
> > >
> > >He's boiling shrimp for one cocktail, and thinks eight shrimp won't
> > >stink up his entire abode the same as if it were a two pound sackful.
> > >Btw, no normal brained person boils shrimp for just one cocktail...
> > >that's nuttier than opening a big bag of potato chip and a pint of dip
> > >and claiming you ate just one.

> > Maybe he went to Costo and got a 5# (I made up that number) bag of
> > frozen precooked, shelled shrimp. Mmmm. Good stuff.

> Frozen shimp is disgusting, precooked frozen shrimp is attrociously
> fetid... perhps you enjoy sucking unwashed crotch. Mmmm. Good stuff.
>
> Sheldon

I'll take your work for it, dogturd! You'd be the only here who'd know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Thu 09 Nov 2006 09:05:15a, Jean B. meant to say...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> That's a great idea, Jean. I would never have thought to combine
>>> cranberries with blueberries, and I love cranberries. I will give that
>>> a try the next time I bake with blueberries. I often add fresh
>>> cranberries to apple pie for the same reason.
>>>

>> And for some reason, I usually don't add them to apple pie and
>> was thinking I should!

> I actually began adding them to apples because there are so many bland apples
> these days. I don't generally add lemon when I do that. It's a nice twist.

That's true. And some of the sweet apples do have a nice
texture. I LOVE cranberries. They are very useful--and you
can just dump them in the freezer. (Of course, if you
discover the door has been open for god-only-knows how long,
you can kiss them--and everything else--goodbye....)

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 10 Nov 2006 04:34:05p, Jean B. meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Oh pshaw, on Thu 09 Nov 2006 09:05:15a, Jean B. meant to say...

>>> And for some reason, I usually don't add them to apple pie and was
>>> thinking I should!

>> I actually began adding them to apples because there are so many bland
>> apples these days. I don't generally add lemon when I do that. It's a
>> nice twist.
>>

> That's true. And some of the sweet apples do have a nice
> texture. I LOVE cranberries. They are very useful--and you
> can just dump them in the freezer. (Of course, if you
> discover the door has been open for god-only-knows how long,
> you can kiss them--and everything else--goodbye....)

During the holiday season from now until January or so, I usually salt away
15-20 bags of cranberries in the freezer so that I have them to bake and
cook with all year. I probably love them as much as you do. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

(I may not agree with a word you say, but I shall
defend unto my death your right to say it. (Voltaire)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Fri 10 Nov 2006 04:34:05p, Jean B. meant to say...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> Oh pshaw, on Thu 09 Nov 2006 09:05:15a, Jean B. meant to say...

>>> I actually began adding them to apples because there are so many bland
>>> apples these days. I don't generally add lemon when I do that. It's a
>>> nice twist.
>>>

>> That's true. And some of the sweet apples do have a nice
>> texture. I LOVE cranberries. They are very useful--and you
>> can just dump them in the freezer. (Of course, if you
>> discover the door has been open for god-only-knows how long,
>> you can kiss them--and everything else--goodbye....)

> During the holiday season from now until January or so, I usually salt away
> 15-20 bags of cranberries in the freezer so that I have them to bake and
> cook with all year. I probably love them as much as you do. :-)

Perhaps moreso, since my max may be 6 bags. (I lost all of my
previous bags when my freezer door opened--maybe because of
ice, which resulted from an inproper seal....

--
Jean B.

Tips and Trick of Cooking Dipsee Vegetarian cooking 8 14-12-2013 11:17 AM
I just learned a great cooking trick Evelyn Diabetic 36 18-10-2010 11:24 PM
Tips and Trick of Cooking Dipsee Barbecue 2 04-11-2006 04:23 AM
Tips and Trick of Cooking Dipsee Vegan 0 03-11-2006 09:36 AM
Cooking Tips: Selecting Ingredients in Chinese Cooking Nicholas Zhou Asian Cooking 0 28-10-2003 01:17 AM