Old 07-04-2009, 09:07 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Apple Pie for my mom

Does anyone know a good apple pie recipe I cam make for my diabetic
mother for easter?

Thank you all in advance.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:28 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 14:07:19 -0600, joe blow wrote:

Does anyone know a good apple pie recipe I cam make for my diabetic
mother for easter?

Both the apple bit and the pie bit are kinda anti-diabetic control...
Does she like rhubarb or strawberries? A half-apple half-rhubarb pie
would be better, sweetened with artificial sweetener of some kind.
Unless you cook for her regularly, you probably don't have the
ingredients to make truly low-carb pie crust, but check the coconut
pie crust recipe towards the end of this link:
http://tinyurl.com/ddujzc

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Old 07-04-2009, 09:40 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"joe blow" wrote in message
.com...
Does anyone know a good apple pie recipe I cam make for my diabetic mother
for easter?

Thank you all in advance.

No. Everything about apple pie is carbs! If she really wants pie, she
should eat the real thing but cut back on carbs elsewhere. For me, no pie
is worth that.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:44 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
joe blow wrote:

Does anyone know a good apple pie recipe I cam make for my diabetic
mother for easter?

Thank you all in advance.

For many type 2 diabetics, that would be one without flour, sugar, or
apples. :-(

Is she type 1 or type 2? Does she inject insulin?

If she's type 2 and trying to maintain control of her blood sugar with
diet and medication, then anything with a lot of carbohydrate (sugar or
starch) in it will make it hard for her to maintain that control.

Does your Mom usually eat things like apple pie? She might appreciate
something that doesn't send her blood sugar up this Easter, like
flowers. Tulips are lovely this time of year. Maybe some flowering
bulbs planted in a pot so she can enjoy them for a long time?

I know you'd like to give her something special, but, really, pie or
other baked goods is not the best choice for someone whose body has
trouble handling sugar and starch.

I hope you find something nice for her, and Happy Easter!

Priscilla, type 2 diabetic
Old 07-04-2009, 09:45 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
Nicky wrote:

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 14:07:19 -0600, joe blow wrote:

Does anyone know a good apple pie recipe I cam make for my diabetic
mother for easter?

Both the apple bit and the pie bit are kinda anti-diabetic control...
Does she like rhubarb or strawberries? A half-apple half-rhubarb pie
would be better, sweetened with artificial sweetener of some kind.
Unless you cook for her regularly, you probably don't have the
ingredients to make truly low-carb pie crust, but check the coconut
pie crust recipe towards the end of this link:
http://tinyurl.com/ddujzc

I've made a nice fruit crumble with a topping made of chopped nuts,
spices, a little oatmeal, and some artificial sweetener.

Priscilla, T2

Old 08-04-2009, 12:15 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
Peppermint Patootie wrote:

In article ,
Nicky wrote:

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 14:07:19 -0600, joe blow wrote:

Does anyone know a good apple pie recipe I cam make for my diabetic
mother for easter?

Both the apple bit and the pie bit are kinda anti-diabetic control...
Does she like rhubarb or strawberries? A half-apple half-rhubarb pie
would be better, sweetened with artificial sweetener of some kind.
Unless you cook for her regularly, you probably don't have the
ingredients to make truly low-carb pie crust, but check the coconut
pie crust recipe towards the end of this link:
http://tinyurl.com/ddujzc

I've made a nice fruit crumble with a topping made of chopped nuts,
spices, a little oatmeal, and some artificial sweetener.

Yeah, if it's going to be apple anything, you pretty much have to leave
out all of the other carbs!

And the hardest part is the portion control. If you have fresh apples,
eating half an apple is quite doable. However, when the apples are
cooked, it can be really hard to serve up such a small portion.

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."
Old 08-04-2009, 12:28 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" wrote in message
Peppermint Patootie wrote:

In article ,
Nicky wrote:

[...]

Yeah. 2-3 times a year I have excess apples so I make a gluten free apple
crisp. Alas, it is one of the few things I can't restrain myself from.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:36 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" wrote in message
Peppermint Patootie wrote:

In article ,
Nicky wrote:

[...]

I've actually used the filling part of this many times, and it is a good sub
for apples. I just sprinkle a few toasted walnuts on top, but one could sub
a low carb topping.

Low GI "Apple" Crisp - posted by Linda Smith

(from busycooks.com)

One of the toughest concepts of the Sugar Busters and other low GI diets is
the limitation to consume fruit all by itself, not mixed with any other
ingredients. Here is a mock Apple Crisp that is acceptable because it
utilizes zucchini, a vegetable that has a low GI value. People never guess
that this dish contains zucchini. (This dish is not suitable for regular
low-carb diets without adaptation.)

1 jumbo zucchini
1 cup fructose (or Splenda)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 Tablespoons 100% whole wheat flour

Topping:

1 cup 100% whole wheat flour
1/3 cup fructose (or Splenda)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup rolled oats (regular)
1/2 cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Peel and
trim zucchini. Slice it lengthwise into quarters. Cut all the seeds out.
Slice the zucchini into slices that resemble apple slices. You should have
about 6 cups of slices.

Boil the zucchini slices in the boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain well.

Mix together the 1 cup fructose, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg,
and 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour. Sprinkle over the zucchini slices and
toss to coat evenly. Place zucchini slices into a greased 8 or 9 inch square
baking pan. Mix the remaining ingredients together to make the crumb
topping. Distribute it evenly over the zucchini. Bake for 45 minutes, until
topping is browned and crispy.

May be served warm, cold or at room temperature.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:39 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
In article ,
joe blow wrote:

Does anyone know a good apple pie recipe I cam make for my diabetic
mother for easter?

Thank you all in advance.

For many type 2 diabetics, that would be one without flour, sugar, or
apples. :-(

Is she type 1 or type 2? Does she inject insulin?

If she's type 2 and trying to maintain control of her blood sugar with
diet and medication, then anything with a lot of carbohydrate (sugar or
starch) in it will make it hard for her to maintain that control.

Does your Mom usually eat things like apple pie? She might appreciate
something that doesn't send her blood sugar up this Easter, like
flowers. Tulips are lovely this time of year. Maybe some flowering
bulbs planted in a pot so she can enjoy them for a long time?

My late mother was Diabetic and allergic to flowers. For Mothers' Day I
would buy her a huge bunch of asparagus and tie it up with a big, bright
ribbon. She loved it.
--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas
Old 08-04-2009, 02:03 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

joe blow wrote:
: Does anyone know a good apple pie recipe I cam make for my diabetic
: mother for easter?

: Thank you all in advance.

simply make a to crust only pie adn sweetenthe apples with Splenda rather
than the sugar usualy caled ofr. Mot a perfect solution, but quite tasty.
I do thetop crust only because it gets nice and risp rather than soggy,
like the bottom crust. I also never put cornstarch or other thickenr in
the flling.

Wendy

Old 08-04-2009, 02:13 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Alice Faber" wrote in message
Peppermint Patootie wrote:

In article ,
Nicky wrote:

[...]

Wow! Never thought to do zucchini. I have at times used chayote/merliton,
cooked on the stove with cinnamon added. I don't think I needed to add any
sweetener. Just served them as is. They taste just like cooked apples.
Only problem is they exude a sticky juice that can make your hands itch like
mad when you are preparing them.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:17 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message

I've never used the fructose, never. I should have said that, so thanks. I
did use Sweetzfree last time, but have used Splenda in the past, until
Splenda started leaving a nasty taste in my mouth that is. I'm always
surprised how much the zucchini tastes like apples. :-)

Years ago I tried baking stuff with fructose. This was just the regular
stuff I always baked like brownies. I did it for my dad who was told he
needed to avoid sugar. My mom thought I was doing a good thing. Now you
couldn't pay me to use it.

I see a vegan chef on TV who uses brown rice syrup a lot in her cooking.
Perhaps she is using it only because it is vegan and sugar isn't always.
But to me it looks like something that is very refined and probably not good
for you either.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:19 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message

My late mother was Diabetic and allergic to flowers. For Mothers' Day I
would buy her a huge bunch of asparagus and tie it up with a big, bright
ribbon. She loved it.

My one SIL loves tomatoes. Every year I grow them and hope to have excess
for her. At almost every gift giving occasion, someone gives her a large
tomato. I've been known to get cases of diet soda.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:16 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

joe blow wrote:
Does anyone know a good apple pie recipe I cam make for my diabetic
mother for easter?

Thank you all in advance.

quarter an apple

sprinkle fake brown sugar on it

nuke it for 45 sec (depends on your micro's power, until the apple is
soft thru)

voila, a new favourite for your mother

kate
Old 08-04-2009, 03:20 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger Lily wrote in news:742fodF11ljqmU2
@mid.individual.net:

quarter an apple

sprinkle fake brown sugar on it

nuke it for 45 sec (depends on your micro's power, until the apple is
soft thru)

voila, a new favourite for your mother

kate

I might add the sweetener after nuking the apple as the aftertaste is
less noticable when the sweetener is not cooked. Use a small apple and be
sure and leave the skin on.

--
~Donna A~
http://www.thesewingdictionary.com