Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alice Faber Alice Faber is offline

Default Apple Pie for my mom

In article >,
Peppermint Patootie > wrote:

> In article >,
> Nicky > wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 14:07:19 -0600, joe blow > wrote:
> >
> > >Does anyone know a good apple pie recipe I cam make for my diabetic
> > >mother for easter?

> > Both the apple bit and the pie bit are kinda anti-diabetic control...
> > Does she like rhubarb or strawberries? A half-apple half-rhubarb pie
> > would be better, sweetened with artificial sweetener of some kind.
> > Unless you cook for her regularly, you probably don't have the
> > ingredients to make truly low-carb pie crust, but check the coconut
> > pie crust recipe towards the end of this link:
> > http://tinyurl.com/ddujzc

> I've made a nice fruit crumble with a topping made of chopped nuts,
> spices, a little oatmeal, and some artificial sweetener.

Yeah, if it's going to be apple anything, you pretty much have to leave
out all of the other carbs!

And the hardest part is the portion control. If you have fresh apples,
eating half an apple is quite doable. However, when the apples are
cooked, it can be really hard to serve up such a small portion.

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."