Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Apple Pie for my mom

Julie Bove > wrote:
: >>> > On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 14:07:19 -0600, joe blow > wrote:
: >>> >
: >>> > >Does anyone know a good apple pie recipe I cam make for my diabetic
: >>> > >mother for easter?
: >>> >
: >>> > Both the apple bit and the pie bit are kinda anti-diabetic control...
: >>> > Does she like rhubarb or strawberries? A half-apple half-rhubarb pie
: >>> > would be better, sweetened with artificial sweetener of some kind.
: >>> > Unless you cook for her regularly, you probably don't have the
: >>> > ingredients to make truly low-carb pie crust, but check the coconut
: >>> > pie crust recipe towards the end of this link:
: >>> > http://tinyurl.com/ddujzc
: >>>
: >>> I've made a nice fruit crumble with a topping made of chopped nuts,
: >>> spices, a little oatmeal, and some artificial sweetener.
: >>
: >> Yeah, if it's going to be apple anything, you pretty much have to leave
: >> out all of the other carbs!
: >>
: >> And the hardest part is the portion control. If you have fresh apples,
: >> eating half an apple is quite doable. However, when the apples are
: >> cooked, it can be really hard to serve up such a small portion.
: > I've actually used the filling part of this many times, and it is a
good
: > sub for apples. I just sprinkle a few toasted walnuts on top, but one
: > could sub a low carb topping.
: >
: > 1 jumbo zucchini
: > 1 cup fructose (or Splenda)
: > 1 teaspoon cinnamon
: > 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
: > 2 Tablespoons 100% whole wheat flour
: >
: > Topping:
: >
: > 1 cup 100% whole wheat flour
: > 1/3 cup fructose (or Splenda)
: > 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
: > 3/4 cup rolled oats (regular)
: > 1/2 cup butter, melted

: Wow! Never thought to do zucchini. I have at times used chayote/merliton,
: cooked on the stove with cinnamon added. I don't think I needed to add any
: sweetener. Just served them as is. They taste just like cooked apples.
: Only problem is they exude a sticky juice that can make your hands itch like
: mad when you are preparing them.

Somehow all this reminds me of that awful recipe for "moxk apple pie" made
with Ritz crackers that used to beon the box. the crackers, flavored like
apples, was the filling! Talk about carby adnd gross! Sorry you
peopeinother countries missed this it used to be a cuse of much fun when I
was young-art of the yuckiest recipes you coud find games some of my
friends and I played while at school. many of the others were those
endlessm marshmallows in everything along with mayonaise kind of recipes,
also, often using jello.

Wendy