Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Apple butter and apple jelly from the same apples - lost recipe

A long time ago I had a recipe for making apple jelly and then making
apple butter out of the pulp/peel etc that was left over. It worked very
well, but I've lost the recipe. Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

Doug
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Doug Weller" > wrote in message
>A long time ago I had a recipe for making apple jelly and then making
> apple butter out of the pulp/peel etc that was left over. It worked very
> well, but I've lost the recipe. Can anyone help me?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Doug

I think there might be one in that new Ball Complete Guide book.

But really, I'm not sure you need a special recipe. I recently made
crabapple jelly and crabapple butter Basically, I followed the recipe for
crabapple jelly since jelly is pectin-thickened and juice-to-sugar ratio
needs to be right. (I didn't use added pectin, so I tested the juice for
sufficient pectin using the alcohol test.)

Then I ran the remains from the juicing procedure through my food strainer,
measured, and added proportionally the right amount of sugar and spices.
Cooked until thick, which was I think a bit faster since my fruit started
out thicker than fruit that still has all the juice in it.

Both jelly and butter came out very good, but the butter is a bit tart. I
like the tartness, but in hindsight I think I should have added more sugar.

At any rate, since butter is thickened by cooking down rather than by
pectin, you're pretty free to adjust amounts as you like.

Anny

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Anny Middon wrote:
> "Doug Weller" > wrote in message
>
>>A long time ago I had a recipe for making apple jelly and then making
>>apple butter out of the pulp/peel etc that was left over. It worked very
>>well, but I've lost the recipe. Can anyone help me?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>Doug

> I think there might be one in that new Ball Complete Guide book.
>
> But really, I'm not sure you need a special recipe. I recently made
> crabapple jelly and crabapple butter Basically, I followed the recipe for
> crabapple jelly since jelly is pectin-thickened and juice-to-sugar ratio
> needs to be right. (I didn't use added pectin, so I tested the juice for
> sufficient pectin using the alcohol test.)
>
> Then I ran the remains from the juicing procedure through my food strainer,
> measured, and added proportionally the right amount of sugar and spices.
> Cooked until thick, which was I think a bit faster since my fruit started
> out thicker than fruit that still has all the juice in it.
>
> Both jelly and butter came out very good, but the butter is a bit tart. I
> like the tartness, but in hindsight I think I should have added more sugar.
>
> At any rate, since butter is thickened by cooking down rather than by
> pectin, you're pretty free to adjust amounts as you like.
>
> Anny

It's easier to add a little sugar when eating than to try to use an
overly sweet sauce.
Ellen
Posted to rec.food.preserving

I did this last week; I used the Joy Of Cooking apple butter recipe,
substituting jelly leftover "muck" for the apple sauce called for in the
JoC recipe.

Unlike the jelly-only recipes, you have to carefully core the apples for
later use in butter.

-dan
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 18:30:49 GMT, in rec.food.preserving, Daniel MacKay
wrote:

>I did this last week; I used the Joy Of Cooking apple butter recipe,
>substituting jelly leftover "muck" for the apple sauce called for in the
>JoC recipe.
>
>Unlike the jelly-only recipes, you have to carefully core the apples for
>later use in butter.

Is there any reason why you shouldn't leave the peel on?

Thanks
Doug
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Posted to rec.food.preserving

>> you have to carefully core the apples

> Is there any reason why you shouldn't leave the peel on?

There's every reason *to* leave it on. But you should carefully core
them.

--
Daniel MacKay
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Daniel MacKay" > wrote in message
]...
>>> you have to carefully core the apples

>> Is there any reason why you shouldn't leave the peel on?

> There's every reason *to* leave it on. But you should carefully core
> them.

why?

> --
> Daniel MacKay
> Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Kathi Jones" > wrote:

> "Daniel MacKay" > wrote in message
> ]...

> >> Is there any reason why you shouldn't leave the peel on?

> > There's every reason *to* leave it on. But you should carefully core
> > them.
> >

> why?

We're talking about making apple butter, right? You may like seeds in
yours, but I don't want them in mine.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Daniel MacKay wrote:
> In article >,
> "Kathi Jones" > wrote:
>
>> "Daniel MacKay" > wrote in message
>> ]...

>> > There's every reason *to* leave it on. But you should carefully core
>> > them.
>> >

>> why?

> We're talking about making apple butter, right? You may like seeds in
> yours, but I don't want them in mine.

"food mill."

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Brian Mailman > wrote:
> "food mill."

I will take the liberty of expanding your ejaculation into a sentence.

I assume that you mean, "You don't need to core the apples if you have a
food mill."

Well - I don't have a food mill, and even if I did, I wouldn't want the
apple seeds and core fibers in my apple butter.

Surprisingly enough, however, you are free to make your apple butter in
any way that you please :-)

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Last week I used the apple butter recipe to make apple leather in the
dehydrator, and people were absolutely delighted with it.

Now I have a dilemma - whether to make apple leather in the traditional
way (that is, (a) just the apple muck with no extra spices or sugar, or
(b) add the cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon and LOTS of sugar to make something
that people raved about.

--
Daniel MacKay
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Daniel MacKay" > wrote in message
]...
> In article >,
> "Kathi Jones" > wrote:
>
>> "Daniel MacKay" > wrote in message
>> ]...

>> > There's every reason *to* leave it on. But you should carefully core
>> > them.
>> >

>> why?

> We're talking about making apple butter, right? You may like seeds in
> yours, but I don't want them in mine.

no, I don't like seeds in mine, that would be silly, but I have a strainer,

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Daniel MacKay" > wrote in message
]...
> In article >,
> "Kathi Jones" > wrote:
>
>> "Daniel MacKay" > wrote in message
>> ]...

>> > There's every reason *to* leave it on. But you should carefully core
>> > them.
>> >

>> why?

> We're talking about making apple butter, right? You may like seeds in
> yours, but I don't want them in mine.

no, I don't like seeds in mine, that would be silly, but I DO have a
strainer,

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Daniel MacKay" > wrote in message
]...
>>> you have to carefully core the apples

>> Is there any reason why you shouldn't leave the peel on?

> There's every reason *to* leave it on. But you should carefully core
> them.

Each to his/her own, of course. I used my strainer when I made the
crabapple butter, but then you really don't have a choice but to leave the
cores in -- I can't imagine anything more tedious than trying to core
crabapples, or the sparsity of what you'd have left after you did so.

By what you said below, you don't run your pulp through a strainer or food
mill. Do you find that leaving the apple peels in changes the texture of
your butter? I assume you use a food processor or blender to puree the
apple pulp.

Also, a general question for the group -- where in the apple is the pectin
most concentrated? I know that with citrus fruit there's a lot of pectin
with the seeds (actually I think it kind of coats the seeds). Is the same
true with apples? If you make your apple juice from cored apples, do you
need to add pectin to make jelly?

Anny

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Daniel MacKay wrote:
> In article >,
> Brian Mailman > wrote:
>> "food mill."

> I will take the liberty of expanding your ejaculation into a sentence.

Glad you know how to catch an ejaculation.

> I assume that you mean, "You don't need to core the apples if you have a
> food mill."
> Well - I don't have a food mill, and even if I did, I wouldn't want the
> apple seeds and core fibers in my apple butter.

That's the purpose of a food mill.

B/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 08:14:53 -0400, in rec.food.preserving, Buddy wrote:

>here's Daniel MacKay's last post ->:
>> In article >,
>> Brian Mailman > wrote:
>>> "food mill."

>> I will take the liberty of expanding your ejaculation into a sentence.
>>
>> I assume that you mean, "You don't need to core the apples if you have a
>> food mill."
>>
>> Well - I don't have a food mill, and even if I did, I wouldn't want the
>> apple seeds and core fibers in my apple butter.
>>
>> Surprisingly enough, however, you are free to make your apple butter in
>> any way that you please :-)

>If you were familiar with a "Foley Food Mill" you would know that
>keeping the seeds, skin & coarse fibers out of the puree is what
>they're all about.

Called a mouli sometimes in the UK:
"Also known as a mouli-légumes, the food mill purées cooked or very soft
foods, usually vegetables and fruit. It conveniently sieves unwanted pips,
skin and cores at the same time. Many cooks prefer it to a food processor
as it allows more control over texture. Some people even claim that food
puréed in a mill has a better flavour. "

Thanks for this suggestion!
Doug
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article
]>,
Daniel MacKay > wrote:

> Last week I used the apple butter recipe to make apple leather in the
> dehydrator, and people were absolutely delighted with it.
>
> Now I have a dilemma - whether to make apple leather in the traditional
> way (that is, (a) just the apple muck with no extra spices or sugar, or
> (b) add the cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon and LOTS of sugar to make something
> that people raved about.
>
> --
> Daniel MacKay
> Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Depends on what fuels your energy ‹ others' raves or better nutrition.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article
]>,
Daniel MacKay > wrote:

> Unlike the jelly-only recipes, you have to carefully core the apples for
> later use in butter.
>
> -dan

A food mill should separate the skin and seeds from the pulp.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; 10-16-2007
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Anny Middon" > wrote:
> Also, a general question for the group -- where in the apple is the pectin
> most concentrated? I know that with citrus fruit there's a lot of pectin
> with the seeds (actually I think it kind of coats the seeds). Is the same
> true with apples? If you make your apple juice from cored apples, do you
> need to add pectin to make jelly?
>
> Anny

I understand it to be on the bottom of the skin. Don't ask me for a
citation, though.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; 10-16-2007
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article
]>,
Daniel MacKay > wrote:

> In article >,
> "Kathi Jones" > wrote:
>
> > "Daniel MacKay" > wrote in message
> > ]...

> > > There's every reason *to* leave it on. But you should carefully core
> > > them.

> > why?

> We're talking about making apple butter, right? You may like seeds in
> yours, but I don't want them in mine.

That's why God made food mills, Daniel ‹ to separate fiber, peel, and
seeds from fruits and vegetables.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; 10-16-2007

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Anny Middon" > wrote:
> By what you said below, you don't run your pulp through a strainer or food
> mill.

Strainer, yes. It caught the fibers, now that you mention it.

-dan