Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Peppermint Patootie Peppermint Patootie is offline

Default Apple Pie for my mom

In article >,
joe blow > wrote:

> Does anyone know a good apple pie recipe I cam make for my diabetic
> mother for easter?
>
> Thank you all in advance.

For many type 2 diabetics, that would be one without flour, sugar, or
apples. :-(

Is she type 1 or type 2? Does she inject insulin?

If she's type 2 and trying to maintain control of her blood sugar with
diet and medication, then anything with a lot of carbohydrate (sugar or
starch) in it will make it hard for her to maintain that control.

Does your Mom usually eat things like apple pie? She might appreciate
something that doesn't send her blood sugar up this Easter, like
flowers. Tulips are lovely this time of year. Maybe some flowering
bulbs planted in a pot so she can enjoy them for a long time?

I know you'd like to give her something special, but, really, pie or
other baked goods is not the best choice for someone whose body has
trouble handling sugar and starch.

I hope you find something nice for her, and Happy Easter!

Priscilla, type 2 diabetic