Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default Apple Pie for my mom

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Alice Faber" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:

>>> I've made a nice fruit crumble with a topping made of chopped nuts,
>>> spices, a little oatmeal, and some artificial sweetener.

>> Yeah, if it's going to be apple anything, you pretty much have to leave
>> out all of the other carbs!
>>
>> And the hardest part is the portion control. If you have fresh apples,
>> eating half an apple is quite doable. However, when the apples are
>> cooked, it can be really hard to serve up such a small portion.

> I've actually used the filling part of this many times, and it is a good
> sub for apples. I just sprinkle a few toasted walnuts on top, but one
> could sub a low carb topping.
>
> Low GI "Apple" Crisp - posted by Linda Smith
>
> (from busycooks.com)
>
> One of the toughest concepts of the Sugar Busters and other low GI diets
> is the limitation to consume fruit all by itself, not mixed with any other
> ingredients. Here is a mock Apple Crisp that is acceptable because it
> utilizes zucchini, a vegetable that has a low GI value. People never guess
> that this dish contains zucchini. (This dish is not suitable for regular
> low-carb diets without adaptation.)
>
> 1 jumbo zucchini
> 1 cup fructose (or Splenda)
> 1 teaspoon cinnamon
> 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
> 2 Tablespoons 100% whole wheat flour
>
> Topping:
>
> 1 cup 100% whole wheat flour
> 1/3 cup fructose (or Splenda)
> 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
> 3/4 cup rolled oats (regular)
> 1/2 cup butter, melted
>
> Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Peel
> and trim zucchini. Slice it lengthwise into quarters. Cut all the seeds
> out. Slice the zucchini into slices that resemble apple slices. You should
> have about 6 cups of slices.
>
> Boil the zucchini slices in the boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain well.
>
> Mix together the 1 cup fructose, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg,
> and 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour. Sprinkle over the zucchini slices and
> toss to coat evenly. Place zucchini slices into a greased 8 or 9 inch
> square baking pan. Mix the remaining ingredients together to make the
> crumb topping. Distribute it evenly over the zucchini. Bake for 45
> minutes, until topping is browned and crispy.
>
> May be served warm, cold or at room temperature.

Wow! Never thought to do zucchini. I have at times used chayote/merliton,
cooked on the stove with cinnamon added. I don't think I needed to add any
sweetener. Just served them as is. They taste just like cooked apples.
Only problem is they exude a sticky juice that can make your hands itch like
mad when you are preparing them.