Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Pancakes & bacon dinner

FBG 93. Had four rashers of bacon and three Carbquik™ pancakes. Agave
nectar hasn't arrived yet, so I made a 'syrup' by melting some butter and
adding enough Splenda™ to make it sweet enough. One hour PP BG 112. Two
hour 116. Adequate. ;-)

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer > wrote:
: FBG 93. Had four rashers of bacon and three Carbquik? pancakes. Agave
: nectar hasn't arrived yet, so I made a 'syrup' by melting some butter and
: adding enough Splenda? to make it sweet enough. One hour PP BG 112. Two
: hour 116. Adequate. ;-)

: --
: Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!

Nick,

You can get very low carb fake maple syrup, usually sweetened with
Splenda. There are several brands. Just check to see carb and calorie
coount per 1/4 cup serving.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> : wrote:
> : > Nick Cramer wrote:
> : > > FBG 93. Had four rashers of bacon and three Carbquik? pancakes.
> Agave
> : > > nectar hasn't arrived yet, so I made a 'syrup' by melting some
> butter
> : > > and adding enough Splenda? to make it sweet enough. One hour PP BG
> 112.
> : > > Two hour 116. Adequate. ;-)
>
> : > Uh, nope.
> : >
> : > You really must know the one hour number to know if it was a disaster
> or
> : > not.
>
> : One hour number, shown above, was 112.
>
> : > If you want REALLY good syrup, buy a sugar free one from the
> : > supermarket, and order some natural maple extract from online if you
> : > can't find it in the store. Adding some maple extract to sf maple
> syrup
> : > makes it taste much more like the real thing.
> : >
> : > I don't think agave is going to give you good results, it's loaded
> with
> : > carbs.
>
> : 1 Tbs of agave contains 16 gms of carbs. GI 32.
>
> : --
> : Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
>
> whaa do ou thing 1 Tbs of sugar has? Acording to my Atkins carb counter,
> 1 tsp is 4.3 carbs, so I guess 1 Tbs would be 3 times tht, or 15 carb
> grams.

Agave nectar is purported to be better for diabetics because of the GI
thing. I have not noticed that to be true in my case, but then the same
holds true for the GI of most all foods. The only reason I use it is that I
bought it for some raw recipes as some of it is considered raw. Having said
that, I have only used it maybe 3 or 4 times since I bought the stuff about
a year ago. And I used a very tiny amount (2 squirts at most) for the
entire recipe. I would NEVER use it as a syrup to put *on* something and I
don't think that is the intent of it. It is meant to be used as a sugar
substitute.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Priscilla H. Ballou" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>
>> wrote:

>> > Uh, nope.
>> >
>> > You really must know the one hour number to know if it was a disaster
>> > or
>> > not.

>> One hour number, shown above, was 112.
>>
>> > If you want REALLY good syrup, buy a sugar free one from the
>> > supermarket, and order some natural maple extract from online if you
>> > can't find it in the store. Adding some maple extract to sf maple
>> > syrup
>> > makes it taste much more like the real thing.
>> >
>> > I don't think agave is going to give you good results, it's loaded with
>> > carbs.

>> 1 Tbs of agave contains 16 gms of carbs. GI 32.

> IIRC, 1 Tbs of genuine maple syrup is 13 grams of carb. Why not have
> the real thing if you're willing to ingest that many carbs?

Sometimes when I make pancakes for Angela (she only gets them maybe 2 or 3
times a year), I make miniscule, drop sized ones for myself, that I lightly
touch down in real maple syrup. The amount I eat in total doesn't even
amount to a good sized bite, but it does give me a taste of it. Of course
egg and gluten free pancakes leave much to be desired IMO.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

> Agave nectar is purported to be better for diabetics because of the GI
> thing. I have not noticed that to be true in my case, but then the same
> holds true for the GI of most all foods. The only reason I use it is that I
> bought it for some raw recipes as some of it is considered raw. Having said
> that, I have only used it maybe 3 or 4 times since I bought the stuff about
> a year ago. And I used a very tiny amount (2 squirts at most) for the
> entire recipe. I would NEVER use it as a syrup to put *on* something and I
> don't think that is the intent of it. It is meant to be used as a sugar
> substitute.

Agave syrup is used by some because of the GI. That may work for some
people but DH's body thinks a carb is a carb and doesn't believe in the
glycemic index at all.

I do have some agave syrup in the house. It is intensely sweet and being
syrupy, it is a good substitute for honey in non-baking recipes. I use
1/4 as much agave as the recipe calls for. It adds sweetness, doesn't
change the consistency, like for a marinade, and adds 1/4 the carbs of
honey.

Measure for measure the stuff doesn't work in this house.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

> Sometimes when I make pancakes for Angela (she only gets them maybe 2 or 3
> times a year), I make miniscule, drop sized ones for myself, that I lightly
> touch down in real maple syrup. The amount I eat in total doesn't even
> amount to a good sized bite, but it does give me a taste of it. Of course
> egg and gluten free pancakes leave much to be desired IMO.

The carb quick pancakes spiked my DH but we have found something we like
even better. Maple Grove Farms "Sugar Free" Pancake and waffle mix. 1/3
cup of the dry mix is 6 net carbs. (11g less 5g of fiber). No sugars.
The required measure for making the pancakes is 1/2 cup for two
servings (which is plenty for the two of us) actually comes out to less
carbs.

DH had a yen for fried chicken last week and I used it to bread the
chicken (after adding herbs and such) Meter was happy.

Sorry, Wendy, it's dairy.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> My sugar pack says 4 gr per teaspoon, a metric tablespoon has 4 teaspoons
> so 16 gr carb.

Another weird thing. Our tablespoon is 3 teaspoons.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> My sugar pack says 4 gr per teaspoon, a metric tablespoon has 4 teaspoons
>> so 16 gr carb.

> Another weird thing. Our tablespoon is 3 teaspoons.

The tablespoon probably ends up being the same size though? Our tablespoons
are 20 ml.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>> My sugar pack says 4 gr per teaspoon, a metric tablespoon has 4
>>> teaspoons so 16 gr carb.

>> Another weird thing. Our tablespoon is 3 teaspoons.

> The tablespoon probably ends up being the same size though? Our
> tablespoons are 20 ml.

Not sure about that.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> : FBG 93. Had four rashers of bacon and three Carbquik™ pancakes. Agave
> : nectar hasn't arrived yet, so I made a 'syrup' by melting some butter
> : and adding enough Splenda™ to make it sweet enough. One hour PP BG 112.
> : Two hour 116. Adequate. ;-)

> Nick,
>
> You can get very low carb fake maple syrup, usually sweetened with
> Splenda. There are several brands. Just check to see carb and calorie
> coount per 1/4 cup serving.

Thanks, Wendy. When I was a kid, my family had three beehives. I ate a lot
more than 1/4 cup on my pancakes! Back then, you could get Maple Syrup
cheap and my Mom used to mix it with the honey. With my Spenda'd™ butter I
probably used less than 2 Tbs. Adequate.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> > "Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> >> My sugar pack says 4 gr per teaspoon, a metric tablespoon has 4
> >> teaspoons so 16 gr carb.

> > Another weird thing. Our tablespoon is 3 teaspoons.

> The tablespoon probably ends up being the same size though? Our
> tablespoons are 20 ml.

The US tablespoon is about 14.787 ml. Two tablespoons separated by
a common language!

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
: Julie Bove wrote:

: >
[...]

thanks for the warning, bu tI still would like to find that pancake mix.
Where do yu get it? I like pancakes and I like them at breakfast,
enerally a dairy meal:-) I am not likely to have that bacon with mine,
maybe "GimmeLea"n vegetarian sausage :-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer > wrote:
: "W. Baker" > wrote:
: > Nick Cramer > wrote:
[...]

These syrups have 10 -35 CALORIES per 1/4 Cup-that's 4 Tbsp in US measure.
With that kind of calorie count they would range betwee 2 1/2 grams fo
carb-8 ish grams per 1/4 cup. And it tastes kind of like traditional
syrups(I must try Susan's variation with the maple extract.) It doesn't
preclude your putting butter on them if you want and would be much less
htan 2 Tbs of the Agave syrup talked about.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:

>> > Another weird thing. Our tablespoon is 3 teaspoons.

>> The tablespoon probably ends up being the same size though? Our
>> tablespoons are 20 ml.

> The US tablespoon is about 14.787 ml. Two tablespoons separated by
> a common language!

So your Agave carbs are a lot of carbs for an even smaller tablespoon than I
thought... Don't be fooled by GI by the way. As a diabetic I find it doesn't
always work for me. Some really low GI foods spike me badly.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> > [ . . . ]

> So your Agave carbs are a lot of carbs for an even smaller tablespoon
> than I thought... Don't be fooled by GI by the way. As a diabetic I find
> it doesn't always work for me. Some really low GI foods spike me badly.

My glucometer is my final arbiter.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
> : Julie Bove wrote:
>
> : >
> : > Sometimes when I make pancakes for Angela (she only gets them maybe 2 or 3
> : > times a year), I make miniscule, drop sized ones for myself, that I lightly
> : > touch down in real maple syrup. The amount I eat in total doesn't even
> : > amount to a good sized bite, but it does give me a taste of it. Of course
> : > egg and gluten free pancakes leave much to be desired IMO.
> : >
> : The carb quick pancakes spiked my DH but we have found something we like
> : even better. Maple Grove Farms "Sugar Free" Pancake and waffle mix. 1/3
> : cup of the dry mix is 6 net carbs. (11g less 5g of fiber). No sugars.
> : The required measure for making the pancakes is 1/2 cup for two
> : servings (which is plenty for the two of us) actually comes out to less
> : carbs.
>
> : DH had a yen for fried chicken last week and I used it to bread the
> : chicken (after adding herbs and such) Meter was happy.
>
> : Sorry, Wendy, it's dairy.
> : --
> : Janet Wilder
> : Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> : Good Friends. Good Life
>
> thanks for the warning, bu tI still would like to find that pancake mix.
> Where do yu get it? I like pancakes and I like them at breakfast,
> enerally a dairy meal:-) I am not likely to have that bacon with mine,
> maybe "GimmeLea"n vegetarian sausage :-)
>
> Wendy

Here's the web page: http://www.maplegrove.com/sugar_free.asp

I bought it at my local supermarket.

BTW, they also make a gluten-free pancake & waffle mix, Julie.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> W. Baker wrote:
>> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> : Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> : > : > Sometimes when I make pancakes for Angela (she only gets them
>> maybe 2 or 3 : > times a year), I make miniscule, drop sized ones for
>> myself, that I lightly : > touch down in real maple syrup. The amount I
>> eat in total doesn't even : > amount to a good sized bite, but it does
>> give me a taste of it. Of course : > egg and gluten free pancakes leave
>> much to be desired IMO. : > : The carb quick pancakes spiked my DH but we
>> have found something we like : even better. Maple Grove Farms "Sugar
>> Free" Pancake and waffle mix. 1/3 : cup of the dry mix is 6 net carbs.
>> (11g less 5g of fiber). No sugars. : The required measure for making the
>> pancakes is 1/2 cup for two : servings (which is plenty for the two of
>> us) actually comes out to less : carbs.
>>
>> : DH had a yen for fried chicken last week and I used it to bread the :
>> chicken (after adding herbs and such) Meter was happy.
>>
>> : Sorry, Wendy, it's dairy.
>> : --
>> : Janet Wilder
>> : Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
>> : Good Friends. Good Life
>>
>> thanks for the warning, bu tI still would like to find that pancake mix.
>> Where do yu get it? I like pancakes and I like them at breakfast,
>> enerally a dairy meal:-) I am not likely to have that bacon with mine,
>> maybe "GimmeLea"n vegetarian sausage :-)
>>
>> Wendy

> Here's the web page: http://www.maplegrove.com/sugar_free.asp
>
> I bought it at my local supermarket.
>
> BTW, they also make a gluten-free pancake & waffle mix, Julie.

But if it contains dairy we can't have it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> W. Baker wrote:
> > Janet Wilder > wrote:
> > : Julie Bove wrote:
> > [ . . . ]

> Here's the web page: http://www.maplegrove.com/sugar_free.asp
>
> I bought it at my local supermarket.
>
> BTW, they also make a gluten-free pancake & waffle mix, Julie.

Thanks for that, Janet. I'll check it out this weekend (along with the 200
other URLs's I've gotten on various NGs)!

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message

>> BTW, they also make a gluten-free pancake & waffle mix, Julie.

> But if it contains dairy we can't have it.

I didn't check the ingredients for the gluten-free product.

check out the site and see for yourself.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message

>>> BTW, they also make a gluten-free pancake & waffle mix, Julie.

>> But if it contains dairy we can't have it.

> I didn't check the ingredients for the gluten-free product.
>
> check out the site and see for yourself.

Where is the website?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

http://www.maplegrove.com/index.asp

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> I didn't check the ingredients for the gluten-free product.
>>>
>>> check out the site and see for yourself.

>> Where is the website?

> http://www.maplegrove.com/index.asp

Doesn't say what's in it, so it's of no use to me. But thanks.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> > Julie Bove wrote:

> >> Where is the website?

> > http://www.maplegrove.com/index.asp
> >

> Doesn't say what's in it, so it's of no use to me. But thanks.

Did you email them to ask?

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
: >>> I didn't check the ingredients for the gluten-free product.
: >>>
: >>> check out the site and see for yourself.
: >>
: >> Where is the website?
: >
: > http://www.maplegrove.com/index.asp
: >
: Doesn't say what's in it, so it's of no use to me. But thanks.

I looked at teh site for the sugar-free mix and when Iwnet to the
nutrition information, it gave me(in tiney print that could not be
enlarged) the nutrition label with the list of ingredients. Did you try
that?

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>> > http://www.maplegrove.com/index.asp
>> >

>> Doesn't say what's in it, so it's of no use to me. But thanks.

> Did you email them to ask?

No. I won't buy from places that don't list ingredients.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> : >>> I didn't check the ingredients for the gluten-free product.
> : >>>
> : >>> check out the site and see for yourself.
> : >>
> : >> Where is the website?
> : >
> : > http://www.maplegrove.com/index.asp
> : >
> : Doesn't say what's in it, so it's of no use to me. But thanks.
>
> I looked at teh site for the sugar-free mix and when Iwnet to the
> nutrition information, it gave me(in tiney print that could not be
> enlarged) the nutrition label with the list of ingredients. Did you try
> that?

No. I didn't see any nutritional information unless it was someplace else.
I will go look.

Okay, I found it. Soy. No good.

Bacon'd sausage dinner. Nick Cramer Diabetic 2 06-06-2008 05:33 AM
Bacon for dinner Nick Cramer Diabetic 0 04-05-2008 07:26 AM
REAL Canadian Bacon - Back Bacon - Peameal Bacon Online. [email protected] General Cooking 1 15-09-2007 04:41 PM
a bacon butty a bacon sarnie or The Ultimate Bacon Sandwich phillip.skinner General Cooking 38 14-08-2006 11:01 AM
Corn and Bacon Pancakes Gladys Dinletir Recipes (moderated) 0 02-12-2004 05:55 PM