Gregory Gadow

Default Northwest Autumn - Friday - Baked Apples

I'll be posting a full dinner menu this week. If everyone likes, I'll do

this when I have the recipes done up. Most of these are ones I've put
together myself, so I have no idea what the exact carb counts are. I've
tried to be good, though.

And is anyone reading these? I've not gotten any feedback; If I'm
wasting my time, I won't bother putting together these menus.

Northwest Autumn Dinner

Mon (Appetizer): Stuffed Mushrooms
Tue (Soup or Salad): Cabbage and Carrot Salad
Wed (Side Dish): Shallots in Red Wine Sauce
Thu (Entree): Herbed Pork Loin Roast
Fri (Dessert): BAKED APPLES

A warm indulgence for those cool, early evenings. Serve with a bit of
whipped cream if you are feeling particularly extravegant.

4 medium sized baking apples*
1/4 cp butter
2 Tbsp brown sugar or sugar substitute
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Core the apples, but do not cut through the bottoms. You want to leave a
"well" to hold in the seasonings. Peel the apples, if desired.

In a small bowl, combine thoroughly the butter, sugar and spices. Put
the apples in a 9 x 9 pan; put the butter mixture evenly in to the
hollowed cores. Sprinkle the tops with a bit of extra cinnamon, if
desired, and put 1/2 cup of water in to the bottom of the pan. Cover the
pan with foil and bake until the apples are tender throughout, about
30-40 minutes. Serve warm.

* Baking apples tend to be tart and can hold up to baking without
falling apart. Pippins and Granny Smiths work well and are widely
available; Red and Golden delicious tend to fall apart and tend to fall
over because of their shape. Still, feel free to try your favorites.

--
Gregory Gadow

http://www.serv.net/~techbear

"If you make yourself a sheep, the wolves will eat you."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Tiger Lily

hmmmmmm.... i'm going to have to try these in the oven.... sounds delish

for the kidlet, i do a 1/2 apple with the seasonings you listed below in the
microwave for 2 min....... he seems to love them and i'm happy he's eating
fruit or veggies!!! (kids!)

--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk

"Gregory Gadow" > wrote in message
> I'll be posting a full dinner menu this week. If everyone likes, I'll do
>
> this when I have the recipes done up. Most of these are ones I've put
> together myself, so I have no idea what the exact carb counts are. I've
> tried to be good, though.
>
> And is anyone reading these? I've not gotten any feedback; If I'm
> wasting my time, I won't bother putting together these menus.
>
> Northwest Autumn Dinner
>
> Mon (Appetizer): Stuffed Mushrooms
> Tue (Soup or Salad): Cabbage and Carrot Salad
> Wed (Side Dish): Shallots in Red Wine Sauce
> Thu (Entree): Herbed Pork Loin Roast
> Fri (Dessert): BAKED APPLES
>
> A warm indulgence for those cool, early evenings. Serve with a bit of
> whipped cream if you are feeling particularly extravegant.
>
> 4 medium sized baking apples*
> 1/4 cp butter
> 2 Tbsp brown sugar or sugar substitute
> 2 tsp ground cinnamon
> 1/2 tsp ground cloves
>
> Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
>
> Core the apples, but do not cut through the bottoms. You want to leave a
> "well" to hold in the seasonings. Peel the apples, if desired.
>
> In a small bowl, combine thoroughly the butter, sugar and spices. Put
> the apples in a 9 x 9 pan; put the butter mixture evenly in to the
> hollowed cores. Sprinkle the tops with a bit of extra cinnamon, if
> desired, and put 1/2 cup of water in to the bottom of the pan. Cover the
> pan with foil and bake until the apples are tender throughout, about
> 30-40 minutes. Serve warm.
>
> * Baking apples tend to be tart and can hold up to baking without
> falling apart. Pippins and Granny Smiths work well and are widely
> available; Red and Golden delicious tend to fall apart and tend to fall
> over because of their shape. Still, feel free to try your favorites.
>
> --
> Gregory Gadow

http://www.serv.net/~techbear

> "If you make yourself a sheep, the wolves will eat you."
> -- Benjamin Franklin

Gregory Gadow

Tiger Lily wrote:

> hmmmmmm.... i'm going to have to try these in the oven.... sounds delish
>
> for the kidlet, i do a 1/2 apple with the seasonings you listed below in the
> microwave for 2 min....... he seems to love them and i'm happy he's eating
> fruit or veggies!!! (kids!)

That works well too. Just remember to NOT use the foil :-)
--
Gregory Gadow

http://www.serv.net/~techbear

"If you make yourself a sheep, the wolves will eat you."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Vicki Beausoleil

Gregory Gadow wrote:

> I'll be posting a full dinner menu this week. If everyone likes, I'll do
>
> this when I have the recipes done up. Most of these are ones I've put
> together myself, so I have no idea what the exact carb counts are. I've
> tried to be good, though.
>
> And is anyone reading these? I've not gotten any feedback; If I'm
> wasting my time, I won't bother putting together these menus.
>
> Northwest Autumn Dinner
>
> Mon (Appetizer): Stuffed Mushrooms
> Tue (Soup or Salad): Cabbage and Carrot Salad
> Wed (Side Dish): Shallots in Red Wine Sauce
> Thu (Entree): Herbed Pork Loin Roast
> Fri (Dessert): BAKED APPLES
>
> A warm indulgence for those cool, early evenings. Serve with a bit of
> whipped cream if you are feeling particularly extravegant.
>
> 4 medium sized baking apples*
> 1/4 cp butter
> 2 Tbsp brown sugar or sugar substitute
> 2 tsp ground cinnamon
> 1/2 tsp ground cloves
>
> Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
>
> Core the apples, but do not cut through the bottoms. You want to leave a
> "well" to hold in the seasonings. Peel the apples, if desired.
>
> In a small bowl, combine thoroughly the butter, sugar and spices. Put
> the apples in a 9 x 9 pan; put the butter mixture evenly in to the
> hollowed cores. Sprinkle the tops with a bit of extra cinnamon, if
> desired, and put 1/2 cup of water in to the bottom of the pan. Cover the
> pan with foil and bake until the apples are tender throughout, about
> 30-40 minutes. Serve warm.
>
> * Baking apples tend to be tart and can hold up to baking without
> falling apart. Pippins and Granny Smiths work well and are widely
> available; Red and Golden delicious tend to fall apart and tend to fall
> over because of their shape. Still, feel free to try your favorites.
>
> --
> Gregory Gadow

http://www.serv.net/~techbear

> "If you make yourself a sheep, the wolves will eat you."
> -- Benjamin Franklin

Please, keep posting! I've saved the recipes and want to eventually run
them through MasterCook to get the nutritional info. Unfortunately my
version of MasterCook doesn't have the mushrooms you used in the
database, so I have to update it using the USDA database. I stopped
there 'cause I spend so much time reading these groups ;-)
I still have to work and sleep.

The Stuffed Mushrooms and Shallots in Red Wine sauce sound absolutely
fantastic. I want to try them soon. I haven't cooked much for a while
because I work nights and getting up and cooking a meal is a bummer, but
I'll be a normal person starting next week (going to day shift) and I'll
need more recipes so hub and I can eat well.

Thanks again
As soon as I can I will run these through MasterCook and post some
nutritional information. It may not be for all, but I'll work on it.

Vicki
Gregory Gadow

Vicki Beausoleil wrote:

> Please, keep posting!

Ok, then :-)

> I've saved the recipes and want to eventually run
> them through MasterCook to get the nutritional info. Unfortunately my
> version of MasterCook doesn't have the mushrooms you used in the
> database, so I have to update it using the USDA database. I stopped
> there 'cause I spend so much time reading these groups ;-)
> I still have to work and sleep.

I think that, nutritionally, the crimini mushrooms are the same as the
standard white mushrooms; they might also be listed under "brown mushrooms."
They are about the same size as the white ones, but a bit "meatier", more
flavorful and often the same price.

> The Stuffed Mushrooms and Shallots in Red Wine sauce sound absolutely
> fantastic. I want to try them soon.

The shallots are great, with the warning that 2 cups of wine are about half a
bottle. Either use cheap stuff (don't go with "cooking wine", it tends to have
a lot of added salt) or save them for a festive dinner when you are splurging
anyway. If, like me, you are not a wine drinker, this can be a good way to use
up what you might have left.

> I haven't cooked much for a while
> because I work nights and getting up and cooking a meal is a bummer, but
> I'll be a normal person starting next week (going to day shift) and I'll
> need more recipes so hub and I can eat well.

It might be a good idea, putting together a menu for a quick meal. Stuff that
can be prepared in 30 minutes or made ahead. I'll see what I can find in my
recipe box.

> Thanks again
> As soon as I can I will run these through MasterCook and post some
> nutritional information. It may not be for all, but I'll work on it.

Ah, that would be a big help, thank you.