Gregory Gadow

Default Northwest Autumn - Friday - Baked Apples

I'll be posting a full dinner menu this week. If everyone likes, I'll do

this when I have the recipes done up. Most of these are ones I've put
together myself, so I have no idea what the exact carb counts are. I've
tried to be good, though.

And is anyone reading these? I've not gotten any feedback; If I'm
wasting my time, I won't bother putting together these menus.

Northwest Autumn Dinner

Mon (Appetizer): Stuffed Mushrooms
Tue (Soup or Salad): Cabbage and Carrot Salad
Wed (Side Dish): Shallots in Red Wine Sauce
Thu (Entree): Herbed Pork Loin Roast
Fri (Dessert): BAKED APPLES

A warm indulgence for those cool, early evenings. Serve with a bit of
whipped cream if you are feeling particularly extravegant.

4 medium sized baking apples*
1/4 cp butter
2 Tbsp brown sugar or sugar substitute
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Core the apples, but do not cut through the bottoms. You want to leave a
"well" to hold in the seasonings. Peel the apples, if desired.

In a small bowl, combine thoroughly the butter, sugar and spices. Put
the apples in a 9 x 9 pan; put the butter mixture evenly in to the
hollowed cores. Sprinkle the tops with a bit of extra cinnamon, if
desired, and put 1/2 cup of water in to the bottom of the pan. Cover the
pan with foil and bake until the apples are tender throughout, about
30-40 minutes. Serve warm.

* Baking apples tend to be tart and can hold up to baking without
falling apart. Pippins and Granny Smiths work well and are widely
available; Red and Golden delicious tend to fall apart and tend to fall
over because of their shape. Still, feel free to try your favorites.

--
Gregory Gadow

http://www.serv.net/~techbear

"If you make yourself a sheep, the wolves will eat you."
-- Benjamin Franklin