Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Baked Apples

Had the day off today. It's snowy, blowy and cold here in the Salt Lake
Valley. A power failure took out heat and hot food for a good chunk of
the morning (damned electric range!!!), and I craved comfort food once
power was restored. Finally able to get out and amble through the
supermarket at about noon, baked apples overwhelmed me.

The store had Granny Smith's, Golden Delicious and Braeburns. I got two
of each. At home, I packed them with raisins, dried cranberries,
cinnamon, nutmeg, and dash of ginger, and brown sugar. Poured a little
cider into the bottom of the pan before I put them in the oven.

Forty five minutes at 350 and they were done. They all held their shape.
They all kept their texture. The Braeburn had great flavor.

I'll eat some more tomorrow. I think I'll take one to work with me for
lunch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pennyaline" > wrote in message
> Had the day off today. It's snowy, blowy and cold here in the Salt Lake
> Valley. A power failure took out heat and hot food for a good chunk of the
> morning (damned electric range!!!), and I craved comfort food once power
> was restored. Finally able to get out and amble through the supermarket at
> about noon, baked apples overwhelmed me.
>
> The store had Granny Smith's, Golden Delicious and Braeburns. I got two of
> each. At home, I packed them with raisins, dried cranberries, cinnamon,
> nutmeg, and dash of ginger, and brown sugar. Poured a little cider into
> the bottom of the pan before I put them in the oven.
>
> Forty five minutes at 350 and they were done. They all held their shape.
> They all kept their texture. The Braeburn had great flavor.
>
> I'll eat some more tomorrow. I think I'll take one to work with me for
> lunch.

Sounds really wonderful.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Pennyaline" > wrote in message
>> Had the day off today. It's snowy, blowy and cold here in the Salt
>> Lake Valley. A power failure took out heat and hot food for a good
>> chunk of the morning (damned electric range!!!), and I craved
>> comfort food once power was restored. Finally able to get out and
>> amble through the supermarket at about noon, baked apples
>> overwhelmed me. The store had Granny Smith's, Golden Delicious and
>> Braeburns. I got
>> two of each. At home, I packed them with raisins, dried cranberries,
>> cinnamon, nutmeg, and dash of ginger, and brown sugar. Poured a
>> little cider into the bottom of the pan before I put them in the
>> oven. Forty five minutes at 350 and they were done. They all held their
>> shape. They all kept their texture. The Braeburn had great flavor.
>>
>> I'll eat some more tomorrow. I think I'll take one to work with me
>> for lunch.

> Sounds really wonderful.

Shall I pick you up on my way over there? <G>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pennyaline wrote on Sat, 08 Dec 2007 22:34:46 -0700:

P> The store had Granny Smith's, Golden Delicious and
P> Braeburns. I got two of each. At home, I packed them with
P> raisins, dried cranberries, cinnamon, nutmeg, and dash of
P> ginger, and brown sugar. Poured a little cider into the
P> bottom of the pan before I put them in the oven.

P> Forty five minutes at 350 and they were done. They all held
P> their shape. They all kept their texture. The Braeburn had
P> great flavor.

Sounds great! I'm a little less ambitious: always Granny Smith,
raisins, brown sugar and cinnamon. Nuke for 5 minutes (by
inspection actually.)

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 22:34:46 -0700, Pennyaline
> wrote:

>The store had Granny Smith's, Golden Delicious and Braeburns. I got two
>of each. At home, I packed them with raisins, dried cranberries,
>cinnamon, nutmeg, and dash of ginger, and brown sugar. Poured a little
>cider into the bottom of the pan before I put them in the oven.
>
>Forty five minutes at 350 and they were done. They all held their shape.
>They all kept their texture. The Braeburn had great flavor.

Great minds!

I made baked apples for dessert last night - not as fancy as yours
though. I just stuffed them with brown sugar and butter, no apple
juice, no dried cranberries or raisins, not even a sprinkle of
cinnamon. Served them warm with a little cream, they certainly hit
the spot!

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "cybercat" > said:

> "Pennyaline" > wrote in message
> > Had the day off today. It's snowy, blowy and cold here in the Salt Lake
> > Valley. A power failure took out heat and hot food for a good chunk of the
> > morning (damned electric range!!!), and I craved comfort food once power
> > was restored. Finally able to get out and amble through the supermarket at
> > about noon, baked apples overwhelmed me.
> >
> > The store had Granny Smith's, Golden Delicious and Braeburns. I got two of
> > each. At home, I packed them with raisins, dried cranberries, cinnamon,
> > nutmeg, and dash of ginger, and brown sugar. Poured a little cider into
> > the bottom of the pan before I put them in the oven.
> >
> > Forty five minutes at 350 and they were done. They all held their shape.
> > They all kept their texture. The Braeburn had great flavor.

I love Braeburns, they're a good eating apple. I don't think I've
tried cooking with them though.

> > I'll eat some more tomorrow. I think I'll take one to work with me for
> > lunch.

> Sounds really wonderful.

I dunno, maybe if you drizzled chocolate over them... ;-)

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Little Malice" > wrote
> I dunno, maybe if you drizzled chocolate over them... ;-)

Now, see, to me, baked apples with lots of cinnamon, and
vanilla icecream melting on top is better than chocolate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "cybercat" > said:
> "Little Malice" > wrote

> > I dunno, maybe if you drizzled chocolate over them... ;-)

> Now, see, to me, baked apples with lots of cinnamon, and
> vanilla icecream melting on top is better than chocolate.

Sacrilege!! But then, I'm a chocoholic...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 09 Dec 2007 10:47:08p, Little Malice meant to say...

> One time on Usenet, "cybercat" > said:
>> "Little Malice" > wrote

>> > I dunno, maybe if you drizzled chocolate over them... ;-)

>> Now, see, to me, baked apples with lots of cinnamon, and vanilla
>> icecream melting on top is better than chocolate.

> Sacrilege!! But then, I'm a chocoholic...

I would rather my baked apples be enclosed in a pastry (apple dumpling),
with a "hint" of cinnamon, not a *lot*. Then serve this thing with a
custard sauce, and maybe a drizzle of chocolate.

When my mom made apple dumplings, she would reserve the peelings, then boil
them with water, sugar, a cinnamon stick, and a wedge of lemon, to form a
thin syrup. This was poured around the the dumplings when they were about
half baked. The tickened syrup was rosy colored and poured over the
dumplings just before serving. A fond a delicious memory.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sun, 12/9/07

Today is: Second Sunday of Advent
Countdown 'til Christmas
2wks 1hrs
Sir, you have tasted two whole worms;
you have hissed all my mystery
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright schrieb :
> Oh pshaw, on Sun 09 Dec 2007 10:47:08p, Little Malice meant to say...

<snip>
>> Sacrilege!! But then, I'm a chocoholic...
>>

> I would rather my baked apples be enclosed in a pastry (apple dumpling),
> with a "hint" of cinnamon, not a *lot*. Then serve this thing with a
> custard sauce, and maybe a drizzle of chocolate.

Do you want a recipe for apple wheels in baking dough ?

> When my mom made apple dumplings, she would reserve the peelings, then boil
> them with water, sugar, a cinnamon stick, and a wedge of lemon, to form a
> thin syrup. This was poured around the the dumplings when they were about
> half baked. The tickened syrup was rosy colored and poured over the
> dumplings just before serving. A fond a delicious memory.

What was the dough of the dumplings made of ?

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 10 Dec 2007 09:21:10a, Michael Kuettner meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright schrieb :
>> Oh pshaw, on Sun 09 Dec 2007 10:47:08p, Little Malice meant to say...

> <snip>
>>> Sacrilege!! But then, I'm a chocoholic...
>>>

>> I would rather my baked apples be enclosed in a pastry (apple
>> dumpling), with a "hint" of cinnamon, not a *lot*. Then serve this
>> thing with a custard sauce, and maybe a drizzle of chocolate.
>>

> Do you want a recipe for apple wheels in baking dough ?

Yes, please...

>> When my mom made apple dumplings, she would reserve the peelings, then
>> boil them with water, sugar, a cinnamon stick, and a wedge of lemon, to
>> form a thin syrup. This was poured around the the dumplings when they
>> were about half baked. The tickened syrup was rosy colored and poured
>> over the dumplings just before serving. A fond a delicious memory.
>>

> What was the dough of the dumplings made of ?

It was a rich shortcrust pastry.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Mon, 12/10/2007

Countdown 'til Christmas
2wks 18hrs 15mins 55secs
If it weren't for lawyers, I think we
could have invented a universal
symbolic representation of reality.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" schrieb :
> Oh pshaw, on Mon 10 Dec 2007 09:21:10a, Michael Kuettner meant to say...
>

>> Wayne Boatwright schrieb :
>>> Oh pshaw, on Sun 09 Dec 2007 10:47:08p, Little Malice meant to say...

>> <snip>
>>>>

>>> I would rather my baked apples be enclosed in a pastry (apple
>>> dumpling), with a "hint" of cinnamon, not a *lot*. Then serve this
>>> thing with a custard sauce, and maybe a drizzle of chocolate.
>>>

>> Do you want a recipe for apple wheels in baking dough ?

> Yes, please...

OK, here we go :

Gebackene Apfelscheiben (fried apple wheels)
(serves 6)

500 grams apples
60 g powdered sugar mixed with one teaspoon cinnamon
and one teaspoon vanilla sugar
juice of 1 lemon mixed with 2 tablespoons dark rum

Core and peel the apples.
Cut them into 1-2cm thick wheels.
Baste the wheels with the lemon/rum mixture and sprinkle
with the sugar/cinnamon mix.
Put them in a bowl, cover bowl and let them rest overnight.

The dough :

140 grams flour
1/8 litre milk
2 tablespoons oil
2 egg yolks
2 egg whites
10 g sugar
pinch of salt
One tablespoon dark rum

Mix everything except sugar and egg whites, until you get
a smooth dough. Stir only until smooth; else the dough gets
tough.
Let it rest for half an hour (covered in a cool place).
Beat the eggwhites together with the sugar stiff.
Mix beaten eggwhites under the dough.

Heat deep-fryer or frying pan. (The wheels need to be fried swimming).
Dip the wheels into the dough and fry them for 3 minutes. Turn them once.
Put on kitchen paper to soak up fat. Sprinkle with vanilla sugar.
Serve hot or cold (with vanilla sauce, vanilla ice, etc).

Bon appetite.

>>> When my mom made apple dumplings, she would reserve the peelings, then
>>> boil them with water, sugar, a cinnamon stick, and a wedge of lemon, to
>>> form a thin syrup. This was poured around the the dumplings when they
>>> were about half baked. The tickened syrup was rosy colored and poured
>>> over the dumplings just before serving. A fond a delicious memory.
>>>

>> What was the dough of the dumplings made of ?

> It was a rich shortcrust pastry.

Ah, thanks.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 10 Dec 2007 11:56:11a, Michael Kuettner meant to say...

> OK, here we go :
>
> Gebackene Apfelscheiben (fried apple wheels)
> (serves 6)
>
> 500 grams apples
> 60 g powdered sugar mixed with one teaspoon cinnamon
> and one teaspoon vanilla sugar
> juice of 1 lemon mixed with 2 tablespoons dark rum
>
> Core and peel the apples.
> Cut them into 1-2cm thick wheels.
> Baste the wheels with the lemon/rum mixture and sprinkle
> with the sugar/cinnamon mix.
> Put them in a bowl, cover bowl and let them rest overnight.
>
> The dough :
>
> 140 grams flour
> 1/8 litre milk
> 2 tablespoons oil
> 2 egg yolks
> 2 egg whites
> 10 g sugar
> pinch of salt
> One tablespoon dark rum
>
> Mix everything except sugar and egg whites, until you get
> a smooth dough. Stir only until smooth; else the dough gets
> tough.
> Let it rest for half an hour (covered in a cool place).
> Beat the eggwhites together with the sugar stiff.
> Mix beaten eggwhites under the dough.
>
> Heat deep-fryer or frying pan. (The wheels need to be fried swimming).
> Dip the wheels into the dough and fry them for 3 minutes. Turn them once.
> Put on kitchen paper to soak up fat. Sprinkle with vanilla sugar.
> Serve hot or cold (with vanilla sauce, vanilla ice, etc).
>
> Bon appetite.

That sounds delicious, and I think I'll make these for a New Years dessert.

Thanks, Michael!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Mon, 12/10/2007

Countdown 'til Christmas
2wks 18hrs 15mins 55secs
If it weren't for lawyers, I think we
could have invented a universal
symbolic representation of reality.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 10, 12:56 pm, "Michael Kuettner" > wrote:
> "Wayne Boatwright" schrieb :
>

> > Oh pshaw, on Mon 10 Dec 2007 09:21:10a, Michael Kuettner meant to say...

> >> <snip>

> >> Do you want a recipe for apple wheels in baking dough ?

> > Yes, please...

> OK, here we go :
>
> Gebackene Apfelscheiben (fried apple wheels)
> (serves 6)
>
> 500 grams apples
> 60 g powdered sugar mixed with one teaspoon cinnamon
> and one teaspoon vanilla sugar
> juice of 1 lemon mixed with 2 tablespoons dark rum
>
> Core and peel the apples.
> Cut them into 1-2cm thick wheels.
> Baste the wheels with the lemon/rum mixture and sprinkle
> with the sugar/cinnamon mix.
> Put them in a bowl, cover bowl and let them rest overnight.
>
> The dough :
>
> 140 grams flour
> 1/8 litre milk
> 2 tablespoons oil
> 2 egg yolks
> 2 egg whites
> 10 g sugar
> pinch of salt
> One tablespoon dark rum
>
> Mix everything except sugar and egg whites, until you get
> a smooth dough. Stir only until smooth; else the dough gets
> tough.
> Let it rest for half an hour (covered in a cool place).
> Beat the eggwhites together with the sugar stiff.
> Mix beaten eggwhites under the dough.
>
> Heat deep-fryer or frying pan. (The wheels need to be fried swimming).
> Dip the wheels into the dough and fry them for 3 minutes. Turn them once.
> Put on kitchen paper to soak up fat. Sprinkle with vanilla sugar.
> Serve hot or cold (with vanilla sauce, vanilla ice, etc).
>
> Bon appetite.

> >> What was the dough of the dumplings made of ?

> > It was a rich shortcrust pastry.

> Ah, thanks.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Michael Kuettner- Hide quoted text -

Jesus, Wayne. Between this recipe and the skillet cornbread, I think
I'm in love with you.

Anita
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 14 Dec 2007 08:28:34a, meant to say...

Anita, it was Michael Kuettner who posted the recipe for Gebackene
Apfelscheiben (fried apple wheels), which sound absolutely delicious!

(But I do make apple dumplings.) :0(

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Dec 13,2007

Countdown 'til Christmas
1wks 2dys 5hrs 45mins 41secs
Did you really expect mere proof to
sway my opinion? HA!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
3.184...
> Oh pshaw, on Fri 14 Dec 2007 08:28:34a, meant to say...
>

> Anita, it was Michael Kuettner who posted the recipe for Gebackene
> Apfelscheiben (fried apple wheels), which sound absolutely delicious!
>
> (But I do make apple dumplings.) :0(

I did them on Dec. 5th (as every year) for stepdaughters birthday.
It's her yearly request because the guests love them.
I used 6 kilograms of apples for 30 people, not a slice left ...

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 23:06:18 +0100, "Michael Kuettner"
> wrote:

>I did them on Dec. 5th (as every year) for stepdaughters birthday.
>It's her yearly request because the guests love them.

My kids have Oct & Nov birthdays, so I made caramel (from scratch)
apples every year for their school birthday parties. Luckily they
still remember and appreciate what I did - because it was a lot of
work.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 14 Dec 2007 09:24:34p, meant to say...

> On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 23:06:18 +0100, "Michael Kuettner"
> > wrote:
>
>>I did them on Dec. 5th (as every year) for stepdaughters birthday.
>>It's her yearly request because the guests love them.

> My kids have Oct & Nov birthdays, so I made caramel (from scratch)
> apples every year for their school birthday parties. Luckily they
> still remember and appreciate what I did - because it was a lot of
> work.

Back in the 1950s and early 1960s when it wasn't dangerous or a threat to
hand out homemade treats for Halloween, my mom made caramel apples and
caramel popcorn balls every year for the trick or treaters. I do remember
it being a lot of work.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Dec 13,2007

Countdown 'til Christmas
1wks 2dys 5hrs 45mins 41secs
Did you really expect mere proof to
sway my opinion? HA!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 23:06:18 +0100, "Michael Kuettner"
> > wrote:
>
>> I did them on Dec. 5th (as every year) for stepdaughters birthday.
>> It's her yearly request because the guests love them.

> My kids have Oct & Nov birthdays, so I made caramel (from scratch)
> apples every year for their school birthday parties. Luckily they
> still remember and appreciate what I did - because it was a lot of
> work.

It is lovely when they remember nice things we did when they were young My
daughter remembers coming home from school one day and seeing her doll with
a new outfit I had a slow day and I knitted it all before she came home

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 07:49:32 -0000, "Ophelia" > wrote:

>I had a slow day and I knitted it all before she came home

OMG! You're a better mom than me! I never knitted anything for my
kids... well, I knitted a baby outfit for my son, which isn't finished
to this day. Maybe I'll drag it out and put in a zipper for a
grandkid someday. LOL

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 07:49:32 -0000, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> I had a slow day and I knitted it all before she came home

> OMG! You're a better mom than me! I never knitted anything for my
> kids... well, I knitted a baby outfit for my son, which isn't finished
> to this day. Maybe I'll drag it out and put in a zipper for a
> grandkid someday. LOL

LOL I don't think so. I don't remember making toffee apples for my
kids)