Bob (this one)

Default baked apples

Did an experiment. Three kinds of apples baked together to see how
they'd turn out. Granny Smith, golden delicious, ginger gold.

Peeled, cored and filled with dried cranberries. Brown sugar over top,
dab of butter on each. Around the apples in the pan, apricot preserves
warmed/melted in apple juice. Basted every 10 minutes or so. Total cook
time about 35 minutes. 350°F.

The golden delicious became a mediocre applesauce in just over 15
minutes. The granny smiths seemed to have very little flavor. Not tart,
not sweet, just a kind of weak apple flavor, though considerably more
solid than the golden delicious. The ginger golds were brilliant. Firm,
sweet/tart, still had that little bite aftertaste at the end.

Clear enough to me.

Pastorio
jake

Bob (this one) wrote:

> Did an experiment. Three kinds of apples baked together to see how
> they'd turn out. Granny Smith, golden delicious, ginger gold.
>
> Peeled, cored and filled with dried cranberries. Brown sugar over top,
> dab of butter on each. Around the apples in the pan, apricot preserves
> warmed/melted in apple juice. Basted every 10 minutes or so. Total cook
> time about 35 minutes. 350°F.
>
> The golden delicious became a mediocre applesauce in just over 15
> minutes. The granny smiths seemed to have very little flavor. Not tart,
> not sweet, just a kind of weak apple flavor, though considerably more
> solid than the golden delicious. The ginger golds were brilliant. Firm,
> sweet/tart, still had that little bite aftertaste at the end.
>
> Clear enough to me.
>
> Pastorio

I am not familiar with the ginger gold variety. Is it a cooking apple?
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Bob (this one)" > wrote:

> Did an experiment. Three kinds of apples baked together to see how
> they'd turn out. Granny Smith, golden delicious, ginger gold.
>
> Peeled, cored and filled with dried cranberries. Brown sugar over top,
> dab of butter on each. Around the apples in the pan, apricot preserves
> warmed/melted in apple juice. Basted every 10 minutes or so. Total cook
> time about 35 minutes. 350°F.
>
> The golden delicious became a mediocre applesauce in just over 15
> minutes. The granny smiths seemed to have very little flavor. Not tart,
> not sweet, just a kind of weak apple flavor, though considerably more
> solid than the golden delicious. The ginger golds were brilliant. Firm,
> sweet/tart, still had that little bite aftertaste at the end.
>
> Clear enough to me.
>
> Pastorio

Have you considered Gala's? :-d
--
Om.

Dave Smith

"Bob (this one)" wrote:

> Did an experiment. Three kinds of apples baked together to see how
> they'd turn out. Granny Smith, golden delicious, ginger gold.
>
> Peeled, cored and filled with dried cranberries. Brown sugar over top,
> dab of butter on each. Around the apples in the pan, apricot preserves
> warmed/melted in apple juice. Basted every 10 minutes or so. Total cook=

> time about 35 minutes. 350=C2=B0F.
>
> The golden delicious became a mediocre applesauce in just over 15
> minutes. The granny smiths seemed to have very little flavor. Not tart,=

> not sweet, just a kind of weak apple flavor, though considerably more
> solid than the golden delicious. The ginger golds were brilliant. Firm,=

> sweet/tart, still had that little bite aftertaste at the end.
>
> Clear enough to me.

That's why some apples are eating apples and some are cooking apples. :-)=

Personally, I think that Delicious is a misnomer. I don't care for the
taste or texture of them raw, and even less when they are cooked. Norther=
Spy are great for cooking. They are great for baking, for pies and for
apple fritters.

Jude

Whe I was a kid, we always baked Rome apples, but I can't seem to find
them anymore. I haven't had a good baked apple since childhood. Anyone
have advice on good reds to bake?

The Cook

http://www.virginiaapples.org/varieties/gingergold.html
--
Susan N.

Bob (this one)

jake wrote:
> Bob (this one) wrote:
>
>> Did an experiment. Three kinds of apples baked together to see how
>> they'd turn out. Granny Smith, golden delicious, ginger gold.
>>
>> Peeled, cored and filled with dried cranberries. Brown sugar over top,
>> dab of butter on each. Around the apples in the pan, apricot preserves
>> warmed/melted in apple juice. Basted every 10 minutes or so. Total
>> cook time about 35 minutes. 350°F.
>>
>> The golden delicious became a mediocre applesauce in just over 15
>> minutes. The granny smiths seemed to have very little flavor. Not
>> tart, not sweet, just a kind of weak apple flavor, though considerably
>> more solid than the golden delicious. The ginger golds were brilliant.
>> Firm, sweet/tart, still had that little bite aftertaste at the end.
>>
>> Clear enough to me.
>>
>> Pastorio

> I am not familiar with the ginger gold variety. Is it a cooking apple?

Dunno how it's classified. It's a new variety that I can find only at
Costco. Asking questions like that at their stores will get blank stares
from staff.

Pastorio
jmcquown

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote:
>
>> Did an experiment. Three kinds of apples baked together to see how
>> they'd turn out. Granny Smith, golden delicious, ginger gold.
>>
>> Peeled, cored and filled with dried cranberries. Brown sugar over
>> top, dab of butter on each. Around the apples in the pan, apricot
>> preserves warmed/melted in apple juice. Basted every 10 minutes or
>> so. Total cook time about 35 minutes. 350°F.
>>
>> The golden delicious became a mediocre applesauce in just over 15
>> minutes. The granny smiths seemed to have very little flavor. Not
>> tart, not sweet, just a kind of weak apple flavor, though
>> considerably more solid than the golden delicious. The ginger golds
>> were brilliant. Firm, sweet/tart, still had that little bite
>> aftertaste at the end.
>>
>> Clear enough to me.
>>
>> Pastorio

> Have you considered Gala's? :-d

Peaches, my lovebird, adores gala apples! Indeed, she's turned her beak up
at red and gold "delicious" and granny smiths and just about anything else.
Put a slice of gala in her cage and watch it disappear!

Jill

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "Bob (this one)" > wrote:
> >
> >> Did an experiment. Three kinds of apples baked together to see how
> >> they'd turn out. Granny Smith, golden delicious, ginger gold.
> >>
> >> Peeled, cored and filled with dried cranberries. Brown sugar over
> >> top, dab of butter on each. Around the apples in the pan, apricot
> >> preserves warmed/melted in apple juice. Basted every 10 minutes or
> >> so. Total cook time about 35 minutes. 350°F.
> >>
> >> The golden delicious became a mediocre applesauce in just over 15
> >> minutes. The granny smiths seemed to have very little flavor. Not
> >> tart, not sweet, just a kind of weak apple flavor, though
> >> considerably more solid than the golden delicious. The ginger golds
> >> were brilliant. Firm, sweet/tart, still had that little bite
> >> aftertaste at the end.
> >>
> >> Clear enough to me.
> >>
> >> Pastorio

> > Have you considered Gala's? :-d

> Peaches, my lovebird, adores gala apples! Indeed, she's turned her beak up
> at red and gold "delicious" and granny smiths and just about anything else.
> Put a slice of gala in her cage and watch it disappear!
>
> Jill

My cockatoo is the same way. ;-)
She is also picky about oranges.
--
Om.

jmcquown

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

>>> Have you considered Gala's? :-d

>> Peaches, my lovebird, adores gala apples! Indeed, she's turned her
>> beak up at red and gold "delicious" and granny smiths and just about
>> anything else. Put a slice of gala in her cage and watch it
>> disappear!
>>
>> Jill
>>

> My cockatoo is the same way. ;-)
> She is also picky about oranges.

I've never tried to give oranges to Peaches; any suggestions as to the type?
She loves fresh greens - most particularly kale. And she adores carrots!

Here's Peaches:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...62411375QlbOSH

Jill

Becca

Bob (this one) wrote:

> Did an experiment. Three kinds of apples baked together to see how
> they'd turn out. Granny Smith, golden delicious, ginger gold.
>
> Peeled, cored and filled with dried cranberries. Brown sugar over top,
> dab of butter on each. Around the apples in the pan, apricot preserves
> warmed/melted in apple juice. Basted every 10 minutes or so. Total cook
> time about 35 minutes. 350°F.

Thanks for sharing your experiment with us. When I bake apples, I will
core the apples, but I do not peel them, except for an inch from the top
of the apple. I bake them in a dish with about 1/2 cup of apple juice
or water.

My favorite apples to bake, are Braeburn, Empire and Jonathan. They hold
up well.

Becca
~patches~

Bob (this one) wrote:

> Did an experiment. Three kinds of apples baked together to see how
> they'd turn out. Granny Smith, golden delicious, ginger gold.
>
> Peeled, cored and filled with dried cranberries. Brown sugar over top,
> dab of butter on each. Around the apples in the pan, apricot preserves
> warmed/melted in apple juice. Basted every 10 minutes or so. Total cook
> time about 35 minutes. 350°F.
>
> The golden delicious became a mediocre applesauce in just over 15
> minutes. The granny smiths seemed to have very little flavor. Not tart,
> not sweet, just a kind of weak apple flavor, though considerably more
> solid than the golden delicious. The ginger golds were brilliant. Firm,
> sweet/tart, still had that little bite aftertaste at the end.
>
> Clear enough to me.
>
> Pastorio

Delicious is not a cooking apple. You need to use cooking apples
Sheldon

Becca wrote:

> My favorite apples to bake, are Braeburn, Empire and Jonathan. They hold
> up well.

All male apples...

Sheldon

sf

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 23:18:05 +0200, jake wrote:

> I am not familiar with the ginger gold variety. Is it a cooking apple?

I'm not surprised, I'm not familiar with it either. Different parts
of the country have different types of apples that are gown in the
region.
sf

On 2 Oct 2005 15:47:30 -0700, Jude wrote:

> Whe I was a kid, we always baked Rome apples, but I can't seem to find
> them anymore. I haven't had a good baked apple since childhood. Anyone
> have advice on good reds to bake?

Are you in California? You can find them here, but I'm not impressed.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article >,

> >> Peaches, my lovebird, adores gala apples! Indeed, she's turned her
> >> beak up at red and gold "delicious" and granny smiths and just about
> >> anything else. Put a slice of gala in her cage and watch it
> >> disappear!
> >>
> >> Jill
> >>

> > My cockatoo is the same way. ;-)
> > She is also picky about oranges.

> I've never tried to give oranges to Peaches; any suggestions as to the type?

I've offered valencias and navels. Freya prefers Valencias (sp?).
Her favorite treat is handfuls of those itty bitty chile pequins, or
fresh ears of corn on the cob. Pomegranites are an occasional treat
along with whole walnuts.

> She loves fresh greens - most particularly kale. And she adores carrots!

I wish freya would eat more greens! I've been offering her different
stuff and recently found out she liked Savoy cabbage.

> Here's Peaches:
>
> http://community.webshots.com/photo/...62411375QlbOSH
>
> Jill

Man! Lovebirds are so colorful! :-)
I see you offer her plenty of toys. I've started making my own toys for
the most part to save on $$$. Freya can go thru wood toys pretty quickly
and they can get costly after a bit! Untreated wood beads from the craft
store dyed with food coloring work well.

Here is Freya in her aviary:

http://tinypic.com/e869vo.jpg

We hated to keep her locked in a small parrot cage so used to let her
fly free during the day, but she just got to be too destructive. :-(
Even the largest $600.00 parrot cages were too small in our opinion, so
dad and I built her an aviary on the sun porch and that has worked out
well! Her "cage" is now 6' tall by 4.5' deep by 8' long. It's walk in
with a gate so I can go in and have lovey sessions with her, and hang
LOTS of toys! :-)

The aviary ran just under $400.00 to build.
It's built from steel chain link pole fence components and 1" x 2"
galvanized aviary wire. The damn roll of wire cost the most! I had to
buy a 100 ft. roll that takes 2 strong people to move. I only used a
little over 30' of it so am considering re-selling the rest of the roll.

Cheers!

--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >, Becca >
wrote:

> Bob (this one) wrote:
>
> > Did an experiment. Three kinds of apples baked together to see how
> > they'd turn out. Granny Smith, golden delicious, ginger gold.
> >
> > Peeled, cored and filled with dried cranberries. Brown sugar over top,
> > dab of butter on each. Around the apples in the pan, apricot preserves
> > warmed/melted in apple juice. Basted every 10 minutes or so. Total cook
> > time about 35 minutes. 350°F.

> Thanks for sharing your experiment with us. When I bake apples, I will
> core the apples, but I do not peel them, except for an inch from the top
> of the apple. I bake them in a dish with about 1/2 cup of apple juice
> or water.
>
> My favorite apples to bake, are Braeburn, Empire and Jonathan. They hold
> up well.
>
> Becca

I use galas, and peel, core and quarter them and re-assemble the
quarters into a small bowl. Add butter, raw sugar (or splenda for
myself) and cinnamon and bake them in the microwave.

Cheers!
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> Becca wrote:
> >
> > My favorite apples to bake, are Braeburn, Empire and Jonathan. They hold
> > up well.

> All male apples...
>
> Sheldon

Wot's a female apple?
--
Om.

Becca

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> I use galas, and peel, core and quarter them and re-assemble the
> quarters into a small bowl. Add butter, raw sugar (or splenda for
> myself) and cinnamon and bake them in the microwave.
>
> Cheers!

Gala's and Fuji's are my favorite apples, but I was afraid they would
not hold up well if they were baked. I will try cooking Gala's in a
microwave. I have been microwaving acorn squash, I may as well try
apples, too.

Becca
George

jake wrote:
> Bob (this one) wrote:
>
>> Did an experiment. Three kinds of apples baked together to see how
>> they'd turn out. Granny Smith, golden delicious, ginger gold.
>>
>> Peeled, cored and filled with dried cranberries. Brown sugar over top,
>> dab of butter on each. Around the apples in the pan, apricot preserves
>> warmed/melted in apple juice. Basted every 10 minutes or so. Total
>> cook time about 35 minutes. 350°F.
>>
>> The golden delicious became a mediocre applesauce in just over 15
>> minutes. The granny smiths seemed to have very little flavor. Not
>> tart, not sweet, just a kind of weak apple flavor, though considerably
>> more solid than the golden delicious. The ginger golds were brilliant.
>> Firm, sweet/tart, still had that little bite aftertaste at the end.
>>
>> Clear enough to me.
>>
>> Pastorio

> I am not familiar with the ginger gold variety. Is it a cooking apple?

It is classified as both. We get them fresh from a local orchard that
started selling them last year.

Dee Randall

"George" > wrote in message
> jake wrote:
>> Bob (this one) wrote:
>>
>>> Did an experiment. Three kinds of apples baked together to see how
>>> they'd turn out. Granny Smith, golden delicious, ginger gold.
>>>
>>> Peeled, cored and filled with dried cranberries. Brown sugar over top,
>>> dab of butter on each. Around the apples in the pan, apricot preserves
>>> warmed/melted in apple juice. Basted every 10 minutes or so. Total cook
>>> time about 35 minutes. 350°F.
>>>
>>> The golden delicious became a mediocre applesauce in just over 15
>>> minutes. The granny smiths seemed to have very little flavor. Not tart,
>>> not sweet, just a kind of weak apple flavor, though considerably more
>>> solid than the golden delicious. The ginger golds were brilliant. Firm,
>>> sweet/tart, still had that little bite aftertaste at the end.
>>>
>>> Clear enough to me.
>>>
>>> Pastorio

>> I am not familiar with the ginger gold variety. Is it a cooking apple?

> It is classified as both. We get them fresh from a local orchard that
> started selling them last year.

I bought ginger gold at Costco last week. They aren't heavily waxed!!! I
can't recall excactly the price -- something like 76 cents? a lb. The
reason I bought them was that they looked the freshest, no other reason.
We've been having them as a mid-afternoon snack. I wouldn't RAVE about
them, but they are good.
Dee Dee

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >, Becca >
wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > I use galas, and peel, core and quarter them and re-assemble the
> > quarters into a small bowl. Add butter, raw sugar (or splenda for
> > myself) and cinnamon and bake them in the microwave.
> >
> > Cheers!

> Gala's and Fuji's are my favorite apples, but I was afraid they would
> not hold up well if they were baked. I will try cooking Gala's in a
> microwave. I have been microwaving acorn squash, I may as well try
> apples, too.
>
> Becca

Just don't overdo. :-)
That's easy to do in the m-wave!
--
Om.

jmcquown

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

>>> My cockatoo is the same way. ;-)
>>> She is also picky about oranges.

>> I've never tried to give oranges to Peaches; any suggestions as to
>> the type?

> I've offered valencias and navels. Freya prefers Valencias (sp?).
>> She loves fresh greens - most particularly kale. And she adores
>> carrots!

> I wish freya would eat more greens! I've been offering her different
> stuff and recently found out she liked Savoy cabbage.
>
>> Here's Peaches:
>>
>> http://community.webshots.com/photo/...62411375QlbOSH
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Man! Lovebirds are so colorful! :-)

Yep, she's bright!

> I see you offer her plenty of toys. I've started making my own toys
> for
> the most part to save on $$$. Freya can go thru wood toys pretty
> quickly
> and they can get costly after a bit! Untreated wood beads from the
> craft store dyed with food coloring work well.

Cockatoos are *big* Peaches is about 6 inches long, head to tail. She
chews on her toys but hasn't managed to destroy any yet. But yes, I bought
some of those link things and naturally dyed beads so I can make some. The
leather "string" I bought is too big, though. Maybe I could send it to you.

> Here is Freya in her aviary:
>
> http://tinypic.com/e869vo.jpg

How pretty! Is she a Goffin? I see pink on her face. But what I know
about Cockatoos could fit in my little finger.

> We hated to keep her locked in a small parrot cage so used to let her
> fly free during the day, but she just got to be too destructive. :-(
> Even the largest $600.00 parrot cages were too small in our opinion,
> so
> dad and I built her an aviary on the sun porch and that has worked out
> well! Her "cage" is now 6' tall by 4.5' deep by 8' long. It's walk in
> with a gate so I can go in and have lovey sessions with her, and hang
> LOTS of toys! :-)

How cool is that! Very nice aviary! The cage I *want* for Peaches looks
like a piece of furniture and costs about $800, which means "no way"
Good thing she's happy in her space. LOL

Jill

Sheldon

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "Sheldon" > wrote:
>
> > Becca wrote:
> > >
> > > My favorite apples to bake, are Braeburn, Empire and Jonathan. They hold
> > > up well.

> > All male apples...
> >
> > Sheldon
> >

> Wot's a female apple?

Paula Red, Ida Red, Granny Smith, like that.

Sheldon

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article >,

> >> I've never tried to give oranges to Peaches; any suggestions as to
> >> the type?

> > I've offered valencias and navels. Freya prefers Valencias (sp?).
> >> She loves fresh greens - most particularly kale. And she adores
> >> carrots!

> > I wish freya would eat more greens! I've been offering her different
> > stuff and recently found out she liked Savoy cabbage.
> >
> >> Here's Peaches:
> >>
> >> http://community.webshots.com/photo/...62411375QlbOSH
> >>
> >> Jill
> >>

> > Man! Lovebirds are so colorful! :-)

> Yep, she's bright!
>
> > I see you offer her plenty of toys. I've started making my own toys
> > for
> > the most part to save on $$$. Freya can go thru wood toys pretty
> > quickly
> > and they can get costly after a bit! Untreated wood beads from the
> > craft store dyed with food coloring work well.
> >

> Cockatoos are *big* Peaches is about 6 inches long, head to tail. She
> chews on her toys but hasn't managed to destroy any yet. But yes, I bought
> some of those link things and naturally dyed beads so I can make some. The
> leather "string" I bought is too big, though. Maybe I could send it to you.
>
> > Here is Freya in her aviary:
> >
> > http://tinypic.com/e869vo.jpg
> >

> How pretty! Is she a Goffin? I see pink on her face. But what I know
> about Cockatoos could fit in my little finger.

Yes, she is a Goffin's which are about 1/2 the size of the sulfer
crests. She is actually not ver big. <G>

> > We hated to keep her locked in a small parrot cage so used to let her
> > fly free during the day, but she just got to be too destructive. :-(
> > Even the largest $600.00 parrot cages were too small in our opinion,
> > so
> > dad and I built her an aviary on the sun porch and that has worked out
> > well! Her "cage" is now 6' tall by 4.5' deep by 8' long. It's walk in
> > with a gate so I can go in and have lovey sessions with her, and hang
> > LOTS of toys! :-)

> How cool is that! Very nice aviary! The cage I *want* for Peaches looks
> like a piece of furniture and costs about $800, which means "no way"
> Good thing she's happy in her space. LOL
>
> Jill

So long as she has daily mommy-time, she should be fine. :-)

Freya loves to chew on leather.
What could I trade you for it?

Cheers!

--
Om.

jmcquown

Shoot me an email My address is not munged.

> Freya loves to chew on leather.
>
> Cheers!

Jill

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article .com>,

> > > All male apples...
> > >
> > > Sheldon
> > >

> > Wot's a female apple?

> Paula Red, Ida Red, Granny Smith, like that.
>
> Sheldon

Oh. Sorry. ;-)
Just consider that a "whoosh" over my head the first time.

I get it now...

So, where do you classify Gala's?

<grins>
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Shoot me an email My address is not munged.
>
> > Freya loves to chew on leather.
> >
> > Cheers!

> Jill

Done. :-)

The aviary we built, even with the more than large roll of aviary wire,
cost just under $400.00 to build. I'm hoping to re-coup some of the
money by re-selling the rest of the wire!

Cheers!
--
Om.

jake

George wrote:

> jake wrote:
>
>> Bob (this one) wrote:
>>
>>> Did an experiment. Three kinds of apples baked together to see how
>>> they'd turn out. Granny Smith, golden delicious, ginger gold.
>>>
>>> Peeled, cored and filled with dried cranberries. Brown sugar over
>>> top, dab of butter on each. Around the apples in the pan, apricot
>>> preserves warmed/melted in apple juice. Basted every 10 minutes or
>>> so. Total cook time about 35 minutes. 350°F.
>>>
>>> The golden delicious became a mediocre applesauce in just over 15
>>> minutes. The granny smiths seemed to have very little flavor. Not
>>> tart, not sweet, just a kind of weak apple flavor, though
>>> considerably more solid than the golden delicious. The ginger golds
>>> were brilliant. Firm, sweet/tart, still had that little bite
>>> aftertaste at the end.
>>>
>>> Clear enough to me.
>>>
>>> Pastorio

>> I am not familiar with the ginger gold variety. Is it a cooking apple?

> It is classified as both. We get them fresh from a local orchard that
> started selling them last year.

Ok, thanks!
jake

The Cook wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 23:18:05 +0200, jake >
> wrote:
>

>>Bob (this one) wrote:
>>

>>>Did an experiment. Three kinds of apples baked together to see how
>>>they'd turn out. Granny Smith, golden delicious, ginger gold.
>>>
>>>Peeled, cored and filled with dried cranberries. Brown sugar over top,
>>>dab of butter on each. Around the apples in the pan, apricot preserves
>>>warmed/melted in apple juice. Basted every 10 minutes or so. Total cook
>>>time about 35 minutes. 350°F.
>>>
>>>The golden delicious became a mediocre applesauce in just over 15
>>>minutes. The granny smiths seemed to have very little flavor. Not tart,
>>>not sweet, just a kind of weak apple flavor, though considerably more
>>>solid than the golden delicious. The ginger golds were brilliant. Firm,
>>>sweet/tart, still had that little bite aftertaste at the end.
>>>
>>>Clear enough to me.
>>>
>>>Pastorio

>>I am not familiar with the ginger gold variety. Is it a cooking apple?

> http://www.virginiaapples.org/varieties/gingergold.html

that's a start, thank you!

jake

Bob (this one) wrote:

> jake wrote:
>
>> Bob (this one) wrote:
>>
>>> Did an experiment. Three kinds of apples baked together to see how
>>> they'd turn out. Granny Smith, golden delicious, ginger gold.
>>>
>>> Peeled, cored and filled with dried cranberries. Brown sugar over
>>> top, dab of butter on each. Around the apples in the pan, apricot
>>> preserves warmed/melted in apple juice. Basted every 10 minutes or
>>> so. Total cook time about 35 minutes. 350°F.
>>>
>>> The golden delicious became a mediocre applesauce in just over 15
>>> minutes. The granny smiths seemed to have very little flavor. Not
>>> tart, not sweet, just a kind of weak apple flavor, though
>>> considerably more solid than the golden delicious. The ginger golds
>>> were brilliant. Firm, sweet/tart, still had that little bite
>>> aftertaste at the end.
>>>
>>> Clear enough to me.
>>>
>>> Pastorio

>> I am not familiar with the ginger gold variety. Is it a cooking apple?

> Dunno how it's classified. It's a new variety that I can find only at
> Costco. Asking questions like that at their stores will get blank stares
> from staff.
>
> Pastorio

I can imaginethat staff doens't know its products> I presuem training
them would be too expensive.
jake

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 23:18:05 +0200, jake wrote:
>

>> I am not familiar with the ginger gold variety. Is it a cooking apple?

> I'm not surprised, I'm not familiar with it either. Different parts
> of the country have different types of apples that are gown in the
> region.

I believe we are in different countries, even> So imagine what
differences there might be.
jake

George wrote:

> jake wrote:
>
>> Bob (this one) wrote:
>>
>>> Did an experiment. Three kinds of apples baked together to see how
>>> they'd turn out. Granny Smith, golden delicious, ginger gold.
>>>
>>> Peeled, cored and filled with dried cranberries. Brown sugar over
>>> top, dab of butter on each. Around the apples in the pan, apricot
>>> preserves warmed/melted in apple juice. Basted every 10 minutes or
>>> so. Total cook time about 35 minutes. 350°F.
>>>
>>> The golden delicious became a mediocre applesauce in just over 15
>>> minutes. The granny smiths seemed to have very little flavor. Not
>>> tart, not sweet, just a kind of weak apple flavor, though
>>> considerably more solid than the golden delicious. The ginger golds
>>> were brilliant. Firm, sweet/tart, still had that little bite
>>> aftertaste at the end.
>>>
>>> Clear enough to me.
>>>
>>> Pastorio

>> I am not familiar with the ginger gold variety. Is it a cooking apple?

> It is classified as both. We get them fresh from a local orchard that
> started selling them last year.

I am curious, although the flavor described on the site (posted above)
sounds too sweet for my taste.
Nancy Young

"jake" > wrote

> Bob (this one) wrote:

>> Dunno how it's classified. It's a new variety that I can find only at
>> Costco. Asking questions like that at their stores will get blank stares
>> from staff.

> I can imaginethat staff doens't know its products> I presuem training them
> would be too expensive.

Costco is a warehouse store, you are pretty much on your own.
Merchandise is move it in, move it out. No staff lurking around
with answers for apple questions.

nancy