Old 30-06-2007, 02:59 PM posted to rec.food.drink.coffee,alt.coffee,alt.tea,rec.food.drink.tea

Default Water temperature question

On Jun 25, 4:05 pm, Lewis Perin wrote:
"Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj" writes:

Here in the USA, due to occupational health and safety concerns,
almost all the cafe establishments operate with the restriction
of NO BOILING WATER!.

Can this be true? I can think of lots of things that go on in a
restaurant that would be impossible without boiling water.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

I was just thinking the same thing. I think the reason we don't get
black tea made with boiling water in restaurants is due to a lack of
understanding on the part of the restaurant staff, as well as an
unwillingness to wait until the water reaches a full boil.

Non-hot tea drinkers (of which there are many in the USA) just don't
understand. I honestly think that they believe we are being too fussy
when we demand boiling water and don't realize what a huge difference
it really makes. Add to that the number of people in this country who
have become accustomed to having tea made with less than boiling water
-- or have never known anything else. People in my office can't
understand why I use a Hot Shot to make my tea instead of just using
the hot water tap on the water cooler. I try to explain and
inevitably, I am met with just blank stares.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:05 AM posted to rec.food.drink.coffee,alt.coffee,alt.tea,rec.food.drink.tea

Brent wrote:
A certain lawsuit arising from a McDonald's coffee spill is coming to
mind. You can, in part, thank stupid people like that for the
hesitance to allow piping hot water.

She's even had an award named after her. The "Stella" Awards.

http://www.stellaawards.com/

I assume this regulation doesn't apply to restaurants... no boiling
water would screw up a lot of recipes, I imagine.

The deal, as I understand it, is that they can't bring boiling water _to
the table_. They can, and in some cases are required to, use it in the
kitchen.

But there are devices to get around this law.

One of them is called a "romulizer", and it securely clamps a lid onto
the pot so that it can't spill even if dropped. I'm sure tea shops
could do something similar with teapots.

AP
Old 03-07-2007, 06:13 PM posted to rec.food.drink.coffee,alt.coffee,alt.tea,rec.food.drink.tea

Fran wrote:
[...]

What you write is quite true. But it doesn't apply to what I wrote.
First. I am not writing about a general restaurant. I am writing about
the specialized cafe bars in various establishments, specifically
in the Barnes & Noble and Borders bookstores, but it applies to cafe
bars in other locales. The bookstore bars make a point of offering
various teas and even sell tins of tea and tea brewing equipment.
So one might expect, or have expected, them to be willing and able
to brew a decent pot of black tea. However they all _refuse_ to bring
their water to a boil. All cite employer policy, work rules.
By the way, they brew the teas in glass press pots and serve with
a ceramic mug, or fancy glasses, _not_ paper (of foam) cups.
--
Rostyk