Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee,alt.coffee,alt.tea,rec.food.drink.tea
Fran Fran is offline

Default Water temperature question

On Jun 25, 4:05 pm, Lewis Perin > wrote:
> "Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj" > writes:
>
> > Here in the USA, due to occupational health and safety concerns,
> > almost all the cafe establishments operate with the restriction
> > of NO BOILING WATER!.

> Can this be true? I can think of lots of things that go on in a
> restaurant that would be impossible without boiling water.
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

I was just thinking the same thing. I think the reason we don't get
black tea made with boiling water in restaurants is due to a lack of
understanding on the part of the restaurant staff, as well as an
unwillingness to wait until the water reaches a full boil.

Non-hot tea drinkers (of which there are many in the USA) just don't
understand. I honestly think that they believe we are being too fussy
when we demand boiling water and don't realize what a huge difference
it really makes. Add to that the number of people in this country who
have become accustomed to having tea made with less than boiling water
-- or have never known anything else. People in my office can't
understand why I use a Hot Shot to make my tea instead of just using
the hot water tap on the water cooler. I try to explain and
inevitably, I am met with just blank stares.