Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee,alt.coffee,alt.tea,rec.food.drink.tea
Alan Petrillo Alan Petrillo is offline

Default Water temperature question

Brent wrote:
> A certain lawsuit arising from a McDonald's coffee spill is coming to
> mind. You can, in part, thank stupid people like that for the
> hesitance to allow piping hot water.

She's even had an award named after her. The "Stella" Awards.

http://www.stellaawards.com/

> I assume this regulation doesn't apply to restaurants... no boiling
> water would screw up a lot of recipes, I imagine.

The deal, as I understand it, is that they can't bring boiling water _to
the table_. They can, and in some cases are required to, use it in the
kitchen.

But there are devices to get around this law.

One of them is called a "romulizer", and it securely clamps a lid onto
the pot so that it can't spill even if dropped. I'm sure tea shops
could do something similar with teapots.

AP