Old 23-01-2006, 02:09 AM posted to rec.food.baking
-L.

Default Birthday Cake report

I made a "finding Nemo" Birthday cake for my son's birthday and
decorated it using marzipan to make sea weed, coral and sea creatures.
I am pretty pleased with the way it turned out, but next time will
color the marzipan before forming it, rather than painting it with food
coloring. This is only the second time I have worked with marzipan,
and although I am pleased with the results, I felt it could have been a
little more moist and pliable than it was - I didn't have time to
hydrate it more, so just used it as it was. I also am thinking of
taking a cake decorating course to learn more technique, as I am sort
of flying by the seat of my pants. Here's a photo for anyone
interested:

http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

-L.

Old 23-01-2006, 02:18 AM posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...
I made a "finding Nemo" Birthday cake for my son's birthday and
decorated it using marzipan to make sea weed, coral and sea creatures.
I am pretty pleased with the way it turned out, but next time will
color the marzipan before forming it, rather than painting it with food
coloring. This is only the second time I have worked with marzipan,
and although I am pleased with the results, I felt it could have been a
little more moist and pliable than it was - I didn't have time to
hydrate it more, so just used it as it was. I also am thinking of
taking a cake decorating course to learn more technique, as I am sort
of flying by the seat of my pants. Here's a photo for anyone
interested:

http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

The picture is only available to Yahoo members. You can upload and share
pictures very easily at tinypic.com ( http://www.tinypic.com/ ).

Old 23-01-2006, 03:52 AM posted to rec.food.baking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 22 Jan 2006 07:09:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it -L.?

I made a "finding Nemo" Birthday cake for my son's birthday and
decorated it using marzipan to make sea weed, coral and sea creatures.
I am pretty pleased with the way it turned out, but next time will
color the marzipan before forming it, rather than painting it with food
coloring. This is only the second time I have worked with marzipan,
and although I am pleased with the results, I felt it could have been a
little more moist and pliable than it was - I didn't have time to
hydrate it more, so just used it as it was. I also am thinking of
taking a cake decorating course to learn more technique, as I am sort
of flying by the seat of my pants. Here's a photo for anyone
interested:

http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

-L.

I have a Yahoo account, but still can't get to your pictures. I get the
"welcome" screen. Do you need to add something to the URL?

You definitely put a lot of work into this. I'd love to see it.

--
Wayne Boatwright տլ

Old 23-01-2006, 03:55 AM posted to rec.food.baking
Reg

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Sun 22 Jan 2006 07:09:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it -L.?

http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

-L.

I have a Yahoo account, but still can't get to your pictures. I get the
"welcome" screen. Do you need to add something to the URL?

The two slashes tells me it's probably a typo.

Old 23-01-2006, 04:42 AM posted to rec.food.baking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 22 Jan 2006 08:55:48p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Reg?

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Sun 22 Jan 2006 07:09:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it -L.?

http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

-L.

I have a Yahoo account, but still can't get to your pictures. I get the
"welcome" screen. Do you need to add something to the URL?

The two slashes tells me it's probably a typo.

Nope, tried it, makes no difference.

--
Wayne Boatwright տլ

Old 23-01-2006, 06:04 AM posted to rec.food.baking
-L.

-L. wrote:
I made a "finding Nemo" Birthday cake for my son's birthday and
decorated it using marzipan to make sea weed, coral and sea creatures.
I am pretty pleased with the way it turned out, but next time will
color the marzipan before forming it, rather than painting it with food
coloring. This is only the second time I have worked with marzipan,
and although I am pleased with the results, I felt it could have been a
little more moist and pliable than it was - I didn't have time to
hydrate it more, so just used it as it was. I also am thinking of
taking a cake decorating course to learn more technique, as I am sort
of flying by the seat of my pants. Here's a photo for anyone
interested:

Sorry - That should be:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/usenetlyn/my_photos

Let me know if you still can't see it. Two shots - about the same.

-L.

Old 23-01-2006, 06:06 AM posted to rec.food.baking
-L.

Reg wrote:
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Sun 22 Jan 2006 07:09:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it -L.?

http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

-L.

I have a Yahoo account, but still can't get to your pictures. I get the
"welcome" screen. Do you need to add something to the URL?

The two slashes tells me it's probably a typo.

No, wrong URL. Sorry. Here's the good one.

Old 23-01-2006, 06:15 AM posted to rec.food.baking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 22 Jan 2006 11:06:20p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it -L.?

Reg wrote:
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Sun 22 Jan 2006 07:09:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it -L.?

http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

-L.

I have a Yahoo account, but still can't get to your pictures. I get
the "welcome" screen. Do you need to add something to the URL?

The two slashes tells me it's probably a typo.

No, wrong URL. Sorry. Here's the good one.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/usenetlyn/my_photos

-L.

Thanks! You did a *super* job! I could not have done that. I can bake a
great cake and do a beautiful frosting job, but decorating? It would be
horrible. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright տլ

Old 23-01-2006, 06:44 AM posted to rec.food.baking
Reg

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Sun 22 Jan 2006 07:09:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it -L.?

http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

-L.

I have a Yahoo account, but still can't get to your pictures. I get the
"welcome" screen. Do you need to add something to the URL?

The two slashes tells me it's probably a typo.

Nope, tried it, makes no difference.

Tried what? It's a mangled URL.

Old 23-01-2006, 07:38 AM posted to rec.food.baking
-L.

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
Thanks! You did a *super* job! I could not have done that. I can bake a
great cake and do a beautiful frosting job, but decorating? It would be
horrible. :-)

Thanks, Wayne. Next time I would make the sea life more delicate and
intricate - I was sort of hurrying between nap time and dinner to get
it done so it would be dried and ready for Friday when I finished the
cake. I used to be a potter so working with marzipan isn't a lot
different from clay.

I have so many "creative" things I'd like to do if I had more time.
Cake decorarting is one of them.

-L.

Old 23-01-2006, 08:02 AM posted to rec.food.baking
-L.

Reg wrote:

Nope, tried it, makes no difference.

Tried what? It's a mangled URL.

He tried removing the extra slash, which didn't work. The correct URL
is:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/usenetlyn/my_photos

Sorry for the confusion - my copy function didn't work and I pasted an
old URL.
-L.

Old 23-01-2006, 01:05 PM posted to rec.food.baking
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 23 Jan 2006 12:38:02a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it -L.?

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
Thanks! You did a *super* job! I could not have done that. I can
bake a great cake and do a beautiful frosting job, but decorating? It
would be horrible. :-)

Thanks, Wayne. Next time I would make the sea life more delicate and
intricate - I was sort of hurrying between nap time and dinner to get
it done so it would be dried and ready for Friday when I finished the
cake. I used to be a potter so working with marzipan isn't a lot
different from clay.

I have so many "creative" things I'd like to do if I had more time.
Cake decorarting is one of them.

I'd say your background gives you a huge edge many culinary endeavors.
Alas, time can certainly be the enemy.

--
Wayne Boatwright տլ

Old 23-01-2006, 03:22 PM posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
Thanks! You did a *super* job! I could not have done that. I can bake
great cake and do a beautiful frosting job, but decorating? It would be
horrible. :-)

Thanks, Wayne. Next time I would make the sea life more delicate and
intricate - I was sort of hurrying between nap time and dinner to get
it done so it would be dried and ready for Friday when I finished the
cake. I used to be a potter so working with marzipan isn't a lot
different from clay.

I have so many "creative" things I'd like to do if I had more time.
Cake decorarting is one of them.

Have you considered using rolled fondant? It would be less expensive than
marzipan.

Old 23-01-2006, 07:21 PM posted to rec.food.baking
King's Crown

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/usenetlyn/my_photos

Let me know if you still can't see it. Two shots - about the same.

-L.

Very cute! You did a really good job. I bet everyone loved eating it....
after saying "It's too pretty to eat."

Have you tried making Chocolate Clay for decorating. I find it fun to work
with. In the summer sometimes transporting a cake some where can be
tricking, because of the possible melting problems.

Lynne

Chocolate Modeling Clay
You can choose to either mold or munch on this unusual recipe. For sticky
and sweet sculptures, shape the chocolate clay into animals, people, cars,
or any toy your heart desires.

For delicious pastry decorations, form the clay into leaves, flowers,
baskets, and vines-they make great cake toppers!

Ingredients: 10 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped

1/3 cup light corn syrup

Instructions:
1)In a shallow medium bowl, melt the chocolate without heating it above
100F. This may be done by placing the bowl of chocolate over another bowl
that contains hot-but not boiling-water.

2)Once the chocolate has melted, add the corn syrup. Using a rubber spatula,
stir and fold the mixture, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl well,
until no shiny syrup is visible and the mixture forms a thick ball. Do not
overmix.

3)Turn the clay out onto a sheet of waxed paper. Using the rubber spatula,
pat it into a 7-inch square. Let it sit uncovered at room temperature until
firm, about 2 hours. Use the clay at once, or store in an airtight container
at room temperature for up to one month.

Old 23-01-2006, 08:55 PM posted to rec.food.baking
-L.

Vox Humana wrote:

Have you considered using rolled fondant? It would be less expensive than
marzipan.

Great idea! I hadn't thought about it, actually. Thanks!
-L.