Wayne Boatwright

Default Birthday Dinner Report (LONG)

Our reservations at the Scottsdale Culinary Institute were for 6:00 p.m.
They close at 8:30 p.m., and we wanted plenty of time for a relaxed meal.

We don't drink often, usually only on holidays and special occasions, but I
wasn't going to miss this occasion! I ordered a Tanqueray Gibson on the
rocks and David ordered an Old Fashioned. Shortly after our drinks arrived
we were presented with fresh figs stuffed with tapenade and some anchovy
puffs. Both were delicious and demanded a second cocktail!

Before I go any further, I have to explain that David doesn't eat much of
anything off the beaten path, and I had to _strongly_ encourage most of what
he ordered. Surprisingly, he pretty much enjoyed everything.

For a starter, I ordered duck confit served with arugula and fresh pears
napped in a light champagne dressing. The confit was wonderful and the pears
were just nicely crisp and very sweet. David deigned to order tomatoes and
mozzarella with basil olive oil. The tomatoes were deliciously ripe and rich
with real tomato flavor. The mozzarella was made on-site and very creamy.

The main course for me was braised rabbit with wild mushrooms and vegetables
over soft herbeb polenta. I've never had rabbit that tasted this good. It
was very flavorful without being gamey and the wild mushrooms were a perfect
touch. I wish I had their recipe for the polenta. It was absolutely
delicious. David reluctantly ordered the pan-seared breast of duck in a pink
peppercorn and raspberry sauce. (I though you couldn't get pink peppercorns
anymore.) Well, he was pleasantly surprised at the taste. I didn't taste the
duck, but the sauce was delicious.

The Maitre'd came by the table with another bottle of wine (which we hadn't
order) which he insisted was "on the house". He also wanted us to order
salads! I didn't think I could eat another bite after what we'd already
consumed, but caved an ordered the roasted beet and goat cheese salad on a
bed of shaved fennel and frisee with truffle vinaigrette. I said we'd share
the salad. David picked at it and I somehow managed to put down the rest of
it! It was really outstanding.

Oh, the wine... Throughout dinner we sipped on an Hungarian wine, Egri
Bikaver, a rather hearty red. I'm not a wine fanatic, but this was very
pleasing.

If that all that wasn't enough, and just as I thought we'd be leaving, here
comes a cart with a huge birthday cake on it, all aflame. Although I had
made our dinner reservations, David called later and talked to them about the
cake. He knew my weakness and took my recipe for Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte
to them a couple of weeks ago, which they were happy to reproduce. I have to
say that they did a masterful job of it, and after each of us tasting just a
sliver, they packed it up for the trip home. We will have cake for days, but
it's wonderful. We also have the chess I baked yesterday, which I'm going to
sample shortly. I will probably explode!

We got out the door about ten minutes before closing time, and you couldn't
have met a happier birthday boy!

Wayne

jmcquown

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Our reservations at the Scottsdale Culinary Institute were for 6:00
> p.m. They close at 8:30 p.m., and we wanted plenty of time for a
> relaxed meal.

(snip fantastic sounding stuff!)
> We got out the door about ten minutes before closing time, and you
> couldn't have met a happier birthday boy!
>
> Wayne

Again, Happy Birthday Wayne! Sounds like you had a great time (and you
deserve it).

Jill

Damsel

On 25 Jan 2005 04:32:29 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>Our reservations at the Scottsdale Culinary Institute were for 6:00 p.m.
>They close at 8:30 p.m., and we wanted plenty of time for a relaxed meal.

<snip unbelievable meal>

I'll take a grilled cheese sandwich and Campbell's tomato soup, please.

Glad you had such a special birthday, Wayne.
Carol

Bronwyn

Thanks Wayne - seeing I asked you for a report! Wow, Next time we
visit the States, we had better put Scottsdale on the intinerary. This
institute, is it a restaurant attached to an educational facility? We
have something like that here, but the food doesn't sound in the same
class ('cuse the pun),
Cheers
Bronwyn

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> Our reservations at the Scottsdale Culinary Institute were for 6:00
> p.m. They close at 8:30 p.m., and we wanted plenty of time for a
> relaxed meal.

(snip fancy birthday chow)
> what we'd already consumed, but caved an ordered the roasted beet and
> goat cheese salad on a bed of shaved fennel and frisee with truffle

Shouldn'ta caved, Wayne.

> If that all that wasn't enough, and just as I thought we'd be
> leaving, here comes a cart with a huge birthday cake on it, all
> aflame. Although I had made our dinner reservations, David called
> later and talked to them about the cake. He knew my weakness and
> took my recipe for Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte to them a couple of
> weeks ago, which they were happy to reproduce.

Wow!!! What a guy!! That is just too fine!
OK, now I'm curious -- how'd they charge you for it? Ingredients, time?
That's fantastic.

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> 2005 Pirohy Marathon pics added 1-23-05.

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 24 Jan 2005 11:57:11p, jmcquown tittered and giggled, and giggled and
tittered, and finally blurted out...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Our reservations at the Scottsdale Culinary Institute were for 6:00
>> p.m. They close at 8:30 p.m., and we wanted plenty of time for a
>> relaxed meal.
>>

> (snip fantastic sounding stuff!)
>> We got out the door about ten minutes before closing time, and you
>> couldn't have met a happier birthday boy!
>>
>> Wayne

> Again, Happy Birthday Wayne! Sounds like you had a great time (and you
> deserve it).
>
> Jill

Thanks, Jill. Yes, it was a wonderful evening and the food was terrific!

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 25 Jan 2005 12:01:55a, Damsel tittered and giggled, and giggled and
tittered, and finally blurted out...

> On 25 Jan 2005 04:32:29 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>>Our reservations at the Scottsdale Culinary Institute were for 6:00 p.m.
>>They close at 8:30 p.m., and we wanted plenty of time for a relaxed meal.

> <snip unbelievable meal>
>
> I'll take a grilled cheese sandwich and Campbell's tomato soup, please.
>
> Glad you had such a special birthday, Wayne.
> Carol

Thanks, Carol. Yes, it was a wonderful meal, and we only do these things for
our birthdays and anniversary. It will be salad for me for the rest of the
week. <g> And, maybe, a grilled cheese sandwich and Campbell's tomato soup,
one of my favorite comfort foods.

Wayne
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 25 Jan 2005 01:11:49a, Bronwyn tittered and giggled, and giggled and
tittered, and finally blurted out...

> Thanks Wayne - seeing I asked you for a report! Wow, Next time we
> visit the States, we had better put Scottsdale on the intinerary. This
> institute, is it a restaurant attached to an educational facility? We
> have something like that here, but the food doesn't sound in the same
> class ('cuse the pun),
> Cheers
> Bronwyn

The Scottsdale Culinary Institute is one of the best cooking and management
schools in the western half of the US. They actually have two restaurants
associated with it. One is a bit more formal (the one we went to) than the
other, but both offer very good food. The menus change weekly and the food
is both prepared and served by the students who, of course, are striving to
do their very best.

Cheers,
Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 25 Jan 2005 07:43:40a, Melba's Jammin' tittered and giggled, and
giggled and tittered, and finally blurted out...

> In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> Our reservations at the Scottsdale Culinary Institute were for 6:00
>> p.m. They close at 8:30 p.m., and we wanted plenty of time for a
>> relaxed meal. (snip fancy birthday chow) what we'd already consumed,
>> but caved an ordered the roasted beet and goat cheese salad on a bed
>> of shaved fennel and frisee with truffle

> Shouldn'ta caved, Wayne.

I felt to compelled to eat it in your honor, Barb! <g>

>> If that all that wasn't enough, and just as I thought we'd be
>> leaving, here comes a cart with a huge birthday cake on it, all
>> aflame. Although I had made our dinner reservations, David called
>> later and talked to them about the cake. He knew my weakness and
>> took my recipe for Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte to them a couple of
>> weeks ago, which they were happy to reproduce.

> Wow!!! What a guy!! That is just too fine!
> OK, now I'm curious -- how'd they charge you for it? Ingredients, time?
> That's fantastic.

All I know is that David was quoted a flat fee, but he wouldn't tell me how
much it cost. I'm guessing in the neighborhood of $30-35, as the menu at
the institute is remarkably inexpensive compared to a normal restaurant. I
ordered a special cake for him in another restaurant a couple of years ago
and they charged $50.

Wayne
Michael Odom

On 25 Jan 2005 04:32:29 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>If that all that wasn't enough, and just as I thought we'd be leaving, here
>comes a cart with a huge birthday cake on it, all aflame. Although I had
>made our dinner reservations, David called later and talked to them about the
>cake. He knew my weakness and took my recipe for Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte
>to them a couple of weeks ago, which they were happy to reproduce. I have to
>say that they did a masterful job of it, and after each of us tasting just a
>sliver, they packed it up for the trip home. We will have cake for days, but
>it's wonderful. We also have the chess I baked yesterday, which I'm going to
>sample shortly. I will probably explode!
>
>We got out the door about ten minutes before closing time, and you couldn't
>have met a happier birthday boy!
>
>Wayne

It all sounds fantastic! The part about David and the cake recipe is
especially wonderful. Congratulations and thanks for letting us share
a little of the dinner, if only virtually.

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 25 Jan 2005 11:09:47a, Michael Odom tittered and giggled, and
giggled and tittered, and finally blurted out...

> On 25 Jan 2005 04:32:29 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>>If that all that wasn't enough, and just as I thought we'd be leaving,
>>here comes a cart with a huge birthday cake on it, all aflame. Although
>>I had made our dinner reservations, David called later and talked to
>>them about the cake. He knew my weakness and took my recipe for
>>Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte to them a couple of weeks ago, which they were
>>happy to reproduce. I have to say that they did a masterful job of it,
>>and after each of us tasting just a sliver, they packed it up for the
>>trip home. We will have cake for days, but it's wonderful. We also
>>have the chess I baked yesterday, which I'm going to sample shortly. I
>>will probably explode!
>>
>>We got out the door about ten minutes before closing time, and you
>>couldn't have met a happier birthday boy!
>>
>>Wayne

> It all sounds fantastic! The part about David and the cake recipe is
> especially wonderful. Congratulations and thanks for letting us share
> a little of the dinner, if only virtually.
>

> modom

Thank you, Michael. It was a great treat!

Wayne
Jeff Bienstadt

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[great dinner description snipped]

> We got out the door about ten minutes before closing time, and you
> couldn't have met a happier birthday boy!

Happy Birthday, Wayne.

---jkb

--
Lisa: "Do we have any food that wasn't brutally slaughtered?"
Homer: "Well, I think the veal died of loneliness."

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 25 Jan 2005 11:30:46a, Jeff Bienstadt tittered and giggled, and
giggled and tittered, and finally blurted out...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
> [great dinner description snipped]
>
>> We got out the door about ten minutes before closing time, and you
>> couldn't have met a happier birthday boy!
>>

> Happy Birthday, Wayne.
>
> ---jkb

Thank you, Jeff!

Cheers,
Wayne
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
(snip)
> > Wow!!! What a guy!! That is just too fine! OK, now I'm curious
> > -- how'd they charge you for it? Ingredients, time? That's
> > fantastic.

> All I know is that David was quoted a flat fee, but he wouldn't tell
> me how much it cost. I'm guessing in the neighborhood of $30-35, as
> the menu at the institute is remarkably inexpensive compared to a
> normal restaurant. I ordered a special cake for him in another
> restaurant a couple of years ago and they charged $50.
>
> Wayne

Have I met your David in person? C'mon, fess up!
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> 2005 Pirohy Marathon pics added 1-23-05.
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 25 Jan 2005 01:56:07p, Melba's Jammin' tittered and giggled, and
giggled and tittered, and finally blurted out...

> In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
> (snip)
>> > Wow!!! What a guy!! That is just too fine! OK, now I'm curious
>> > -- how'd they charge you for it? Ingredients, time? That's
>> > fantastic.

>> All I know is that David was quoted a flat fee, but he wouldn't tell
>> me how much it cost. I'm guessing in the neighborhood of $30-35, as
>> the menu at the institute is remarkably inexpensive compared to a
>> normal restaurant. I ordered a special cake for him in another
>> restaurant a couple of years ago and they charged $50.
>>
>> Wayne

> Have I met your David in person? C'mon, fess up!

Yes...

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> >> Wayne

> > Have I met your David in person? C'mon, fess up!

> Yes...

I would have bet the rent! LOL!!!
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> 2005 Pirohy Marathon pics added 1-23-05.
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 25 Jan 2005 06:45:37p, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > Have I met your David in person? C'mon, fess up!

>> Yes...

> I would have bet the rent! LOL!!!

Why'd it take you so long?
Charles Gifford

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> Our reservations at the Scottsdale Culinary Institute were for 6:00 p.m.
> They close at 8:30 p.m., and we wanted plenty of time for a relaxed meal.

<snip>

What a wonderful birthday dinner Wayne! Thanks for the report.
Congratulations for surviving so long youngster!

Charlie

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 25 Jan 2005 06:54:37p, Charles Gifford wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> Our reservations at the Scottsdale Culinary Institute were for 6:00 p.m.
>> They close at 8:30 p.m., and we wanted plenty of time for a relaxed meal.

> <snip>
>
> What a wonderful birthday dinner Wayne! Thanks for the report.
> Congratulations for surviving so long youngster!
>
> Charlie

Thanks, Charlie! Always nice to hear from you!

Wayne

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> On Tue 25 Jan 2005 06:45:37p, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> >> Yes...

> > I would have bet the rent! LOL!!!

> Why'd it take you so long?

It didn't. I mailed you a while back and didn't get a reply. I wasn't
going to mention it publicly, but I couldn't help myself.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> 2005 Pirohy Marathon pics added 1-23-05.

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 25 Jan 2005 08:40:27p, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> On Tue 25 Jan 2005 06:45:37p, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>> > In article >, Wayne Boatwright

>> > I would have bet the rent! LOL!!!

>> Why'd it take you so long?

> It didn't. I mailed you a while back and didn't get a reply. I wasn't
> going to mention it publicly, but I couldn't help myself.

Barb, I never got your email, probably due to a bad address. I'd have
answered you if I'd received it. I'll email you my current address.

Wayne
Priscilla H. Ballou

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> We got out the door about ten minutes before closing time, and you couldn't
> have met a happier birthday boy!

I'm coming in late, but I want to wish you many happy returns of the
day. After reading your description of the meal, I am near to drooling.
Wouldn't do to do that in the office, though. ;-)

Priscilla
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 26 Jan 2005 11:59:01a, Priscilla H. Ballou wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> We got out the door about ten minutes before closing time, and you
>> couldn't have met a happier birthday boy!

> I'm coming in late, but I want to wish you many happy returns of the
> day. After reading your description of the meal, I am near to drooling.
> Wouldn't do to do that in the office, though. ;-)
>
> Priscilla

Thank you, Priscilla! LOL! Your co-workers might well avoid someone they
saw drooling in the office! Even funnier (maybe) where I work which is a
behavioral healt and substance abuse institution!

Wayne
Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Wed 26 Jan 2005 11:59:01a, Priscilla H. Ballou wrote in
> rec.food.cooking:
>
> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >
> >> We got out the door about ten minutes before closing time, and you
> >> couldn't have met a happier birthday boy!

> > I'm coming in late, but I want to wish you many happy returns of the
> > day. After reading your description of the meal, I am near to drooling.
> > Wouldn't do to do that in the office, though. ;-)
> >
> > Priscilla
> >

> Thank you, Priscilla! LOL! Your co-workers might well avoid someone they
> saw drooling in the office! Even funnier (maybe) where I work which is a
> behavioral healt and substance abuse institution!

Heh heh! <wicked gleam in eye> In that situation, one would want to
just toss off a casual, "Side effects!"

Priscilla

--
"It is very, very dangerous to treat any human, lowest
of the low even, with contempt and arrogant whatever.
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 26 Jan 2005 03:24:17p, Priscilla Ballou wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> On Wed 26 Jan 2005 11:59:01a, Priscilla H. Ballou wrote in
>> rec.food.cooking:

>> > I'm coming in late, but I want to wish you many happy returns of the
>> > day. After reading your description of the meal, I am near to
>> > drooling.
>> > Wouldn't do to do that in the office, though. ;-)
>> >
>> > Priscilla
>> >

>> Thank you, Priscilla! LOL! Your co-workers might well avoid someone
>> they saw drooling in the office! Even funnier (maybe) where I work
>> which is a behavioral healt and substance abuse institution!

> Heh heh! <wicked gleam in eye> In that situation, one would want to
> just toss off a casual, "Side effects!"

LOL! That's probably closer to the truth than I'd like to think about!

Wayne

Margaret Suran

Wayne, the report of your birthday dinner was one of the most
enjoyable posts I have ever read. That, on top of the cat pictures
have gave me more pleasure than you can imagine.

Thank you and write another report soon. Sure, I know that I am
greedy. ) M

It is cold here today, just nine degrees and I will make Viennese
Gulasch for tonight.

2 lbs lean beef, cut into 1 1/2" cubes

2 lbs yellow onions

1 1/2 tablespoons Hungarian sweet Paprika

A pinch of Hungarian hot Paprika

Oil or butter for frying

1 teaspoon vinegar, ptional

salt and pepper to taste

Chop the onions and fry in oil or butter or a combination of both.
When golden brown, add the paprikas and stir until well combined.
Add the beef cubes, cover tightly and simmer for a few minutes, until
the onions give up some of the liquid, but before the meat browns.
Stir in the salt, pepper and vinegar. If there is not enough liquid,
a small amount of water may be added. Cover tightly again and simmer
on a low flame, until the meat is very tender.

If there is not enough liquid, small amounts of water may be added
during the cooking period.

While this is the way a true Viennese Gulasch is made, some cooks like
to add 1 1/2 tablespoons of tomato paste at the beginning of the
cooking cycle. It does make for a richer, darker sauce, but it does
not have the true flavor when the dish is done.

Serve with boiled potatoes or noodles and fresh hard rolls. Cucumber
salad is the preferred side dish.

Did you know that this is a favorite Second Breakfast dish in Vienna,
where a small Gulasch with a hard roll is served (or used to) mornings
in nearly every restaurant in the city. With beer, of course.

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 27 Jan 2005 07:13:12a, Margaret Suran wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne, the report of your birthday dinner was one of the most
> enjoyable posts I have ever read. That, on top of the cat pictures
> have gave me more pleasure than you can imagine.

Thank you so much, Margaret. I'm really glad you enjoyed it/them.

> Thank you and write another report soon. Sure, I know that I am
> greedy. ) M

Alas, I wish I could afford meals like that more often. :-( :-)

> It is cold here today, just nine degrees and I will make Viennese
> Gulasch for tonight.

Ouch! Nine degrees! I remember days like that when I lived in NE Ohio.
I'm glad I left them behind when we moved to AZ.

Margaret, this sounds so good! I've never made a beef dish that was heavy
with paprika, only chicken and veal. I've simply got to make this soon,
perhaps this weekend. The beauty (and the wonderful taste) of a dish like
this is its simplicity...clean true flavors.

> 2 lbs lean beef, cut into 1 1/2" cubes
>
> 2 lbs yellow onions
>
> 1 1/2 tablespoons Hungarian sweet Paprika
>
> A pinch of Hungarian hot Paprika
>
> Oil or butter for frying
>
> 1 teaspoon vinegar, ptional
>
> salt and pepper to taste
>

> Chop the onions and fry in oil or butter or a combination of both.
> When golden brown, add the paprikas and stir until well combined.
> Add the beef cubes, cover tightly and simmer for a few minutes, until
> the onions give up some of the liquid, but before the meat browns.
> Stir in the salt, pepper and vinegar. If there is not enough liquid,
> a small amount of water may be added. Cover tightly again and simmer
> on a low flame, until the meat is very tender.
>
> If there is not enough liquid, small amounts of water may be added
> during the cooking period.
>
> While this is the way a true Viennese Gulasch is made, some cooks like
> to add 1 1/2 tablespoons of tomato paste at the beginning of the
> cooking cycle. It does make for a richer, darker sauce, but it does
> not have the true flavor when the dish is done.

Yes, somewhere along the line I learned that authentic gulasch and
paprikash do not contain tomato products. One exception I've seen was an
Hungarian Goulash that contained a cut up raw tomato, which was said to be
authentic.

> Serve with boiled potatoes or noodles and fresh hard rolls. Cucumber
> salad is the preferred side dish.

The perfect accompanyments. Often when I make paprikash I make little
dumplings similar to spaetzle. I always serve a cucumber salad.

> Did you know that this is a favorite Second Breakfast dish in Vienna,
> where a small Gulasch with a hard roll is served (or used to) mornings
> in nearly every restaurant in the city. With beer, of course.

I've never known that, but I've never travelled to Vienna. In some part of
Germany I do recall being offered a sort of beef/onion/potato stew (no
paprika) made with beer, and that was rather early in the day.

Thank you again, Margaret. Stay warm!

Regards,
Wayne

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Margaret Suran
> wrote:
> It is cold here today, just nine degrees and I will make Viennese
> Gulasch for tonight.

> 2 lbs lean beef, cut into 1 1/2" cubes

Would top round work? I might have some in the freezer.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> 2005 Pirohy Marathon pics added 1-23-05.
kilikini

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, Margaret Suran
> > wrote:
>> It is cold here today, just nine degrees and I will make Viennese
>> Gulasch for tonight.

>> 2 lbs lean beef, cut into 1 1/2" cubes

> Would top round work? I might have some in the freezer.

Good use for it, so you don't try anything at home. <vbeg>

kili

Margaret Suran

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, Margaret Suran
> > wrote:
>
>>It is cold here today, just nine degrees and I will make Viennese
>>Gulasch for tonight.

>>2 lbs lean beef, cut into 1 1/2" cubes

> Would top round work? I might have some in the freezer.

Any lean, firm cut should be all right. In a Viennese Cook Book,
special parts are seldom specified, it just says "BEEF". An old cook
book which turned to dust more than twenty years ago, frequently gave
no amounts and if it did, you had to weigh the ingredients. At times
it said something like: Take three eggs and the same amount of sugar
(or flour, or butter). That meant that you either had a balance scale
and you put the eggs on one side and the other ingredient on the
second side and kept adding or taking away, until both sides balanced,
or you weighed the eggs on a regular kitchen scale and then weighed
the other ingredient, adding or taking off, until you reached the same
weight. Hey, Barb, if you can interpret this, you are some kind of
genius. I sure lost track of what I wanted to say. )

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Margaret Suran
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >, Margaret Suran
> > > wrote:
> >
> >>It is cold here today, just nine degrees and I will make Viennese
> >>Gulasch for tonight.

> >>2 lbs lean beef, cut into 1 1/2" cubes

> > Would top round work? I might have some in the freezer.

> Any lean, firm cut should be all right. In a Viennese Cook Book,
> special parts are seldom specified, it just says "BEEF". An old cook
> book which turned to dust more than twenty years ago, frequently gave
> no amounts and if it did, you had to weigh the ingredients. At times
> it said something like: Take three eggs and the same amount of sugar
> (or flour, or butter). That meant that you either had a balance scale
> and you put the eggs on one side and the other ingredient on the
> second side and kept adding or taking away, until both sides balanced,
> or you weighed the eggs on a regular kitchen scale and then weighed
> the other ingredient, adding or taking off, until you reached the same
> weight. Hey, Barb, if you can interpret this, you are some kind of
> genius. I sure lost track of what I wanted to say. )

IBeGenius. I understand exactly what you're saying. My scale is
electronic, though.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> 2005 Pirohy Marathon pics added 1-23-05.