Posted to rec.food.baking
Bob (this one)

Default Birthday Cake report

-L. wrote:
> Bob (this one) wrote:
>
>>She beamed when it was done. "It's pretty good, isn't it," she said. I
>>laughed out loud. Many bakeries I've been in wouldn't have done as
>>pretty a job as that. Did I remember to take a picture? Why do you ask?
>>Of course not. Not until we were halfway to school and remembered that
>>we hadn't. Not that we were giggling like, well, schoolkids or anything...
>>
>>There's Murphy's Law and Murphy's Dammit Law.
>>
>>Pastorio

> <snip>
>
> Hell, with those skills she can pay her way through college working in
> a patisserie! Sounds awesome.

I was busy writing for a deadline yesterday and didn't pay a lot of
attention to her. We made dinner and I went back to my computer, she to
her homework. I heard kitchen noises and didn't pay much attention to
that, either. She came walking into my office with a yellow cake she had
made from scratch, covered with whipped cream with sliced strawberries
and asked "Exactly how busy are you?" Twinkle in her eye...

We ate cake.

Later she told me that the first time, she had "messed up some mixing
when I didn't watch it closely." Her cut layers were uneven (I told her
a few ways to deal with that this morning. She looked like a light bulb
went off over her head.), cake was a tad dry (She waited until it was
"brown" before sticking a toothpick in.). But I think it's cool that she
did it all alone. Recognized that she had made a mixing mistake and
dealt with it. And recognized that my telling her how to cut layers
evenly wasn't a negative criticism. I was in the process of eating my
third slice. How badly could I feel about it? I told her nobody's gonna
get up from the table and leave if the layers are uneven. She laughed.

I asked why she wanted to do it. She said, "Because." <G> Good enough
for me.

Pastorio