judith

Default where do I raise bread dough in the modern kitchen?

My father always raised his bread on the radiator. My aunt -- on the
warm gas dryer. Where can I raise bread in a house with baseboard heat
and an oven that doesn't go below 200 degrees?

I think bread usually rises at 85 degrees. How can I make bread rise,
double, with a heat source found in my kitchen? I don't want only to
make bread on a sunny day in the window.

Thanks, in advance, for your help with this!!! Much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Judith
Joe Kirby

> I think bread usually rises at 85 degrees. How can I make bread rise,
> double, with a heat source found in my kitchen? I don't want only to

I have had very good luck with just leaving the oven light on. You might
stick a rolled-up towel in the oven door to crack it a tad if things get
too hot.
Scott Taylor

"judith" > wrote in message
om...
> My father always raised his bread on the radiator. My aunt -- on the
> warm gas dryer. Where can I raise bread in a house with baseboard heat
> and an oven that doesn't go below 200 degrees?
>
> I think bread usually rises at 85 degrees. How can I make bread rise,
> double, with a heat source found in my kitchen? I don't want only to
> make bread on a sunny day in the window.
>
> Thanks, in advance, for your help with this!!! Much appreciated.

If you're willing to wait a bit longer, bread dough rises perfectly well at
room temperature. The slower rise also gives better flavor and texture.

-Scott

Puester

judith wrote:

> My father always raised his bread on the radiator. My aunt -- on the
> warm gas dryer. Where can I raise bread in a house with baseboard heat
> and an oven that doesn't go below 200 degrees?
>
> I think bread usually rises at 85 degrees. How can I make bread rise,
> double, with a heat source found in my kitchen? I don't want only to
> make bread on a sunny day in the window.
>
> Thanks, in advance, for your help with this!!! Much appreciated.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Judith

Place a pan of boiling water on the lower shelf
or floor of your oven. Place your bread dough bowl
on an oven rack a few inches above the water. Close
the oven door.

I have a kitchen cabinet with a hidden heat duct outlet
under it. It's a perfect place to raise dough during the
heating season.

Dough will rise at lower room temperatures.
It just takes longer.

gloria p
alzelt

paula wrote:
> (judith) wrote in message . com>...
>
>>My father always raised his bread on the radiator. My aunt -- on the
>>warm gas dryer. Where can I raise bread in a house with baseboard heat
>>and an oven that doesn't go below 200 degrees?
>>

> when i make rolls i put the trays on top of my central heating boiler
> (even though the heater is off ,the water heater part gives off a nice
> warm heat)Other than that i place on the worktop and cover with a
> clean towel and it rises fine. I once remember putting about six trays
> and tins of bread to rise on top of the car roof one really hot sunny
> day. whilst this was "normal" for me my neighbour thought i was mad -
> then she got to know me and realised she was right.!

You can do what many of us do. Put the dough in the oven, close the door
and turn it on. When it gets up to what 80-90 should be, turn it off.
Nothing exotic. Just works. But then, I only do that when the temp gets
below 70F.

Just a question, but, since dough rises faster as the temp goes up,
what's the hurry. As you know doubt know, many people let their dough
rise overnight in the fridge. A long slow rise aids in the flavor of
your final breads. Same goes for a longer rise in a temp that is about 65F.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Mk3217

after i let my dough take its first proof in the bowl and i start portioning it
out to be mocked up into whatever im makeing ill set my oven to the temp i am
baking the bread or rolls...etc at place a pot of water in it crack the oven
door and put my sheet pan of mocked up rolls in a warm place near the stove
with a damp towl on it this way once i get my full second proof in i can take
off the towel egg wash or score the tops or what ever is need be, and put them
straight into the oven (the faster you can take your fully, final proofed rolls
or loafs from that stage to the oven the better looking there gonna look, thats
one of the things that sperates homebaked bread from looking like
professionally made bread from a bakery.)

MOM PEAGRAM

You turn your oven on for just a few minutes till you can feel heat rising
then turn it off and leave the light on.

"judith" > wrote in message
om...
> My father always raised his bread on the radiator. My aunt -- on the
> warm gas dryer. Where can I raise bread in a house with baseboard heat
> and an oven that doesn't go below 200 degrees?
>
> I think bread usually rises at 85 degrees. How can I make bread rise,
> double, with a heat source found in my kitchen? I don't want only to
> make bread on a sunny day in the window.
>
> Thanks, in advance, for your help with this!!! Much appreciated.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Judith

David S. Cargo

Joe Kirby > wrote:

>> I think bread usually rises at 85 degrees. How can I make bread rise,
>> double, with a heat source found in my kitchen? I don't want only to

>I have had very good luck with just leaving the oven light on. You might
>stick a rolled-up towel in the oven door to crack it a tad if things get
>too hot.

I have an oven that I have turned into a proof box through the
substitution of a 75-watt bulb for the appliance bulb. They have the
same base size, so I just remove the appliance bulb and put in the
regular bulb when I have bread to rise.

Depending on your oven, you might need a 60- or 100-watt bulb to get
to the desired temperature.

escargo

David S. Cargo )
Scott

I've forgone the "warm place" technique. Slow rises seem to always
result in better bread.

please mail OT responses only
Kenneth

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:33:54 GMT, Scott >
wrote:

>I've forgone the "warm place" technique. Slow rises seem to always
>result in better bread.

Howdy,

You are absolutely right...

I often say to folks that making bread is rather like making wine.
Either can be made quickly, but in neither case would the results be
as good.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Anna

I have found that boiling a cup of water in the microwave and then
pushing it to the back works great. I just stick the dough in there
and in about an hour it is ready. I do that for both rises.

wrote:

>I've forgone the "warm place" technique. Slow rises seem to always
>result in better bread.

Fred

"Scott" > wrote in message
> I've forgone the "warm place" technique. Slow rises seem to always
> result in better bread.
>
> --
> to respond, change "spamless.invalid" with "optonline.net"
> please mail OT responses only

I can't tell the difference. I find that bread looks, feels and tastes the
same as long it proofs the same amount regardless of the time involved. A
cooler, longer proof, however might result in a greater amount of proofing
simply because the baker tends to pay less attention to it. That would
certainly make a change in the finished product. I've found that doughs
left overnight in the fridge tend to be a little overproofed for my
preference. No doubt a lower temperature will cause proofing to take
longer, though.

I made lean baguettes today from a single dough. One pan proofed in a
ninety degree oven and one proofed at room temp. The one at room temp took
18 minutes longer to proof to my preference and did so while the first pan
baked. I baked them one after the other for the same amount of time. The
products were indistinguishable from one another. I even had employees
taste them and nobody could tell the difference after the baguettes had
cooled. Might as well proof them quickly in my opinion.

Fred
The Good Gourmet
http://www.thegoodgourmet.com

alzelt

Fred wrote:
> "Scott" > wrote in message
>
>>I've forgone the "warm place" technique. Slow rises seem to always
>>result in better bread.
>>
>>--
>>to respond, change "spamless.invalid" with "optonline.net"
>>please mail OT responses only

> I can't tell the difference. I find that bread looks, feels and tastes the
> same as long it proofs the same amount regardless of the time involved. A
> cooler, longer proof, however might result in a greater amount of proofing
> simply because the baker tends to pay less attention to it. That would
> certainly make a change in the finished product. I've found that doughs
> left overnight in the fridge tend to be a little overproofed for my
> preference. No doubt a lower temperature will cause proofing to take
> longer, though.
>
> I made lean baguettes today from a single dough. One pan proofed in a
> ninety degree oven and one proofed at room temp. The one at room temp took
> 18 minutes longer to proof to my preference and did so while the first pan
> baked. I baked them one after the other for the same amount of time. The
> products were indistinguishable from one another. I even had employees
> taste them and nobody could tell the difference after the baguettes had
> cooled. Might as well proof them quickly in my opinion.
>
> Fred
> The Good Gourmet
> http://www.thegoodgourmet.com

Methinks, Fred, that you need to do some more testing. Quite obviously
the tastes of two baguettes proofed only minutes apart would offer up no
difference. But what you may have missed is what many of us now do
when proofing dough. We place a shaped loaf, after rising for about
15-30 minutes, in the fridge (covered with a saran wrap sheet to keep it
from drying out). Here they slowly rise overnight. Take them out about
an hour before you wish to bake them.

I can assure you, the taste is very different,and way better. So,
quickly for volume production. Slow for taste.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

sl

On 2004-04-04, judith wrote:
> warm gas dryer. Where can I raise bread in a house with baseboard heat
> and an oven that doesn't go below 200 degrees?

I personally use my gas oven (pilot light method).
But my mom always uses the top of the refrigerator.
If that space is available in your kitchen.

sl
Scott

In article >, sl >
wrote:

> I personally use my gas oven (pilot light method).
> But my mom always uses the top of the refrigerator.
> If that space is available in your kitchen.

I wonder if that practice dates back to when the condenser coil--and the
heat is threw off--was on top of the fridge, and it remained out of
habit when the coil was moved to the back?

please mail OT responses only

Woodard R. Springstube

sl > wrote in
:

> On 2004-04-04, judith wrote:
>> warm gas dryer. Where can I raise bread in a house with
>> baseboard heat and an oven that doesn't go below 200
>> degrees?

> I personally use my gas oven (pilot light method).
> But my mom always uses the top of the refrigerator.
> If that space is available in your kitchen.
>

> sl

What I do is use the oven on my electric range (no pilot light)
with the oven light turned on. I do try to monitor the
temperature, but it seems to work well when I am trying speed up
rising times. The down side is that slower rises at cooler
temperatures give better flavor to the bread, but the ideal is
not always possible in my life.

Eric Jorgensen

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 15:17:19 GMT
"Kent H." > wrote:

> How much, and what kind of yeast do you use for over overnight
> proofing, for a 3 cups of flour, or 1.5lb loaf? When you bring it out
> of frig the next A.M. what exactly do you do before it goes in the
> oven? What do you do with Pizza Dough? Our local pizza parlour rises
> as you do. Thanks

Same amount as i do when i'm proofing on the counter, or in a warm
oven.

I take it out of the fridge and let it sit on the counter while the
oven heats up. I have a lousy oven so this is probably more than a half
an hour. It's still cold when it goes in.=20

It doesn't rise as tall as it would on the counter or in a makeshift
proofing box, but i get a lot more oven spring, and the loaf comes out
pretty much the same size - but with a better crumb texture and mellower
flavor.=20

Pizza dough . . . You've gotta understand that I'm single, I make
enough dough for six 9" crusts, let the whole mass of dough rise
once, portion it out, dust five of them liberally with flour, bag 'em,
and put them in the fridge while #6 rises again on the counter to become
dinner. I don't really proof it, it just needs time to loosen up after
being portioned and kneaded into a ball.=20

The other five are transferred from the fridge to the freezer the
next day. They can live in there for at least a couple months. The
thing is, I like mushrooms saut=E9ed with reasonably fresh garlic on my
pizza, which makes pizza a little bit of a production as i have to find
a reasonably fresh bulb of garlic and some decent brown mushrooms every
time i decide to have pizza, and this can take time in such an
unenlightened grocery market as the one i live in. Say all you want
about the convenience of jars of chopped garlic, it doesn't taste the
same at all - neither does garlic cut an hour ago vs. garlic cut 30
seconds ago. Given the time investment in tracking down and preparing
toppings, i usually don't have pizza more frequently than every couple
or three weeks.=20

Anyway, when i do decide i want pizza on a particular day, if it's
the day after i made the batch i just transfer one ball from the fridge
to the counter and allow it to come to room temperature before working
it.=20

If it's come from the freezer, obviously there is more time invested
in the thawing process, and I'm not convinced that I've come up with a
perfect method. freezer to fridge the night before and then fridge to
counter after work, I've done sometimes. freezer to submersing the
ziplock bag containing the frozen ball in warm water, which will get the
dough a little wet in most cases, will thaw it in under an hour. In the
winter i can get away with transferring from the freezer to the counter
before going to work but even then it's sometimes proofed more than i'd
prefer when i get home.=20

For the record, the Papa John's chain has regional factories where
they manufacture balls of dough, proof them, refrigerate them, and truck
them out to the stores. The quality of their crust - for the kind of
crust they're trying to make - is pretty good. It's their alleged
'sauce' I take issue with. canned tomato paste is not a sauce.=20

Kenneth

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 00:49:41 GMT, Scott >
wrote:

>In article >, sl >
>wrote:
>
>> I personally use my gas oven (pilot light method).
>> But my mom always uses the top of the refrigerator.
>> If that space is available in your kitchen.

>I wonder if that practice dates back to when the condenser coil--and the
>heat is threw off--was on top of the fridge, and it remained out of
>habit when the coil was moved to the back?

Howdy,

The top of the fridge is still a warm area because whatever the
location of the coils, the warm air they generate will migrate
upward...

That said, as mentioned before, a cooler, slower, rise makes for more
flavorful bread.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Julie

I have always put my bread dough in a linen closet in the hall outside
the bathroom. The closet backs up against the center of the house and
the chimney shaft that leads to the roof. There is always warmth
there because the boiler works to daily to heat water, even in summer.
It's the perfect temp for a nice rise!

Julie
www.bakingbits.com

Sourdough bread and the bread machine dough cycle Russell Fletcher Sourdough 12 03-01-2007 08:04 PM
I make stove top bread frequently. I make dough, flatten it (usually) to fit the bottom of my cast iron frypan, and cook it really slowly. Sometimes I let it rise, sometimes not. Depending on the dough volume, it ranges from a half inch thick to two Tim Recipes 0 22-12-2005 11:15 AM
Ways ro raise bread. Wcsjohn Sourdough 2 09-10-2004 09:07 AM
Growing bread dough the right way. Fred Baking 6 23-09-2004 12:56 AM
Bread dough Steph G.B Baking 6 02-03-2004 05:13 AM