Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Posted to alt.food.recipes
Tim

Default I make stove top bread frequently. I make dough, flatten it (usually) to fit the bottom of my cast iron frypan, and cook it really slowly. Sometimes I let it rise, sometimes not. Depending on the dough volume, it ranges from a half inch thick to two

I make stove top bread frequently. I make dough, flatten it (usually) to fit
the bottom of my cast iron frypan, and cook it really slowly. Sometimes I
let it rise, sometimes not. Depending on the dough volume, it ranges from a
half inch thick to two inches. It's a good way to keep a starter growing
without having to throw a lot away all the time. Doesn't heat up the kitchen
so bad of a summer day. Do lots of little ones and call them english muffins
(or crumpets!) (or scones!) Sorry, my recipe amounts to next-to-no-recipe.
Pour most of starter into mixing bowl, add floury fermentables and maybe
some sunflower seeds, water if needed, etc, and mix until I have something
anywhere >from batterish to doughish. Ferment to taste. Oil or flour the
pan, put bread in, fire up your stove or fire pit and "bake", turning it a
couple-three-four times. The thicker your loaf, the lower you want the fire,
so your loaf will burn less. A friend used to make his daily bread every day
this way. I resurrected the idea while camping last summer. My favorite mix
of the trip was a cup or two of cornmeal, a cup or two of wholewheat pastry
flour, a handful of sunnies. And cooked over an open fire because my stove
broke. A great way to experiment too because of the low commitment. If you
do it just right and make the bread real thin, you get a pockety pita.
Haven't yet figured out what makes one get the nice pocket, another gets a
half dozen little pockets, and another gets no pockets at all. Maybe I need
to let em rise! Yow!