Old 08-03-2011, 04:02 PM posted to rec.food.baking

Default Adjustment for baking two loaves of bread?

I like to bake a loaf of whole wheat and a loaf of almost- white.
Yes, they are in the oven at the same time, sort of side by on the
same rack. Should I adjust the time or temp? Just trying to keep the
old electric bill down.
Thanks.

Old 14-03-2011, 10:42 PM posted to rec.food.baking

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 08:02:58 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
wrote:

I like to bake a loaf of whole wheat and a loaf of almost- white.
Yes, they are in the oven at the same time, sort of side by on the
same rack. Should I adjust the time or temp? Just trying to keep the
old electric bill down.
Thanks.

What temps do each of the recipes call for? Are both loaves in pans or
free form?

Generally, if the loaves are about the same size, you should have no
problem. You can use the old fashioned "thump the bottom" method of
testing for doneness or use a probe thermometer.

Try it and keep an eye on things. Report back you results.

Boron
Old 17-03-2011, 01:59 AM posted to rec.food.baking

On Mar 14, 6:42*pm, Boron Elgar wrote:
..

What temps do each of the recipes call for?

350

Are both loaves in pans or free form?

in loaf pans.

Generally, if the loaves are about the same size, you should have no
problem. You can use the old fashioned "thump the bottom" method of
testing for doneness or use a probe thermometer.

Try it and keep an eye on things. Report back you results.

I just eyeballed them thru the window and removed when they were
'done'. They turned out fine.
Old 17-03-2011, 01:28 PM posted to rec.food.baking

On Mar 16, 9:59*pm, Kalmia wrote:
On Mar 14, 6:42*pm, Boron Elgar wrote:

Generally, if the loaves are about the same size, you should have no
problem. You can use the old fashioned "thump the bottom" method of
testing for doneness or use a probe thermometer.

Try it and keep an eye on things. Report back you results.

I just eyeballed them thru the window and removed when they were
'done'. *They turned out fine.

My grandma used the "tap" method. When the loaf looks done, remove
from oven, remove from pan and tap on bottom. It should sound
hollow. Did that myself for years until I learned that an instant
read thermometer reading 190F is a "done" loaf.

Happy Baking!

Baking Bread Using A Bread Maker Jake Will N Baking 4 27-02-2010 12:21 AM
Baking 2 loaves of my Banana Bread 2.0! John Kuthe[_2_] General Cooking 7 28-08-2009 04:42 PM
Baking Bread in the ECB! jj Barbecue 9 30-06-2009 07:13 AM
How do I estimate time when baking smaller loaves? BobbiJo_AZ Baking 1 18-08-2007 06:05 PM
Yeast bread and mini loaves MrsD General Cooking 6 07-02-2006 02:53 AM