Posted to alt.food.barbecue
jj jj is offline

Default Baking Bread in the ECB!

Hi All,

I'm a newbie BBQer and I'm also a newbie baker so I figured what the
heck, let's put some bread dough on a steel plate in the ECB (el
cheapo Brinkman). The dough is just Costco white flour, Costco yeast,
some melted butter and water...oh yeah also some steel cut oats in
this batch. Once I get the hang of this, I'll add stuff like parmesan
cheese and jalapenos to the dough. I'm digging the smoky flavor -
maybe one day I'll be able to visit Al Forno in Rhode Island and try
their famous grilled pizza.

<cough> like I said, I'm a newbie and my temp regulation skills are
poor. The score board so far is 2 charbabies and 1 slightly under
cooked. I think I'll put a cheat and go dual layer on the steel
plating with about a 1/2" space between the 2 plates. (I'm an amateur
backyard welder)

I haven't done any mods to the ECB except drilling some air holes in
the coal pan. The legs are still on the inside. I didn't know about
ECB mods when I bought the thing (because it was sooo cheap!)

One of these days, I'll weld up my own smoker but right now I'm just
starting to learn about what works and what doesn't.

And yeah, I eat meat.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 03:25:55 GMT,
(jj) wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I'm a newbie BBQer and I'm also a newbie baker so I figured what the
>heck, let's put some bread dough on a steel plate in the ECB (el
>cheapo Brinkman). The dough is just Costco white flour, Costco yeast,
>some melted butter and water...oh yeah also some steel cut oats in
>this batch. Once I get the hang of this, I'll add stuff like parmesan
>cheese and jalapenos to the dough. I'm digging the smoky flavor -
>maybe one day I'll be able to visit Al Forno in Rhode Island and try
>their famous grilled pizza.
>
><cough> like I said, I'm a newbie and my temp regulation skills are
>poor. The score board so far is 2 charbabies and 1 slightly under
>cooked. I think I'll put a cheat and go dual layer on the steel
>plating with about a 1/2" space between the 2 plates. (I'm an amateur
>backyard welder)
>
>I haven't done any mods to the ECB except drilling some air holes in
>the coal pan. The legs are still on the inside. I didn't know about
>ECB mods when I bought the thing (because it was sooo cheap!)
>
>One of these days, I'll weld up my own smoker but right now I'm just
>starting to learn about what works and what doesn't.
>
>And yeah, I eat meat.

Let me know how your adventures go. One of my dreams is pizza on the
grill--gas to start, then someday maybe a charcoal grill when I get a
Weber kettle.

So far, ISTR mine have been both undercooked and burned--at the same
time!

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Desideria" > wrote in message

> Let me know how your adventures go. One of my dreams is pizza on
> the
> grill--gas to start, then someday maybe a charcoal grill when I
> get a
> Weber kettle.
>
> So far, ISTR mine have been both undercooked and burned--at the
> same
> time!

I know that Walmart, and am fairly positive many kitchen stores,
sell a pizza (ceramic) stone that would work great on a grill.
Just place it on the grate to preheat it, then add a pizza.
--
Nonny

Americans worry whether the rest of the world
considers us dumb, so we go to the polls and
remove all doubt.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

jj wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm a newbie BBQer and I'm also a newbie baker so I figured what the
> heck, let's put some bread dough on a steel plate in the ECB (el
> cheapo Brinkman). The dough is just Costco white flour, Costco yeast,
> some melted butter and water...oh yeah also some steel cut oats in
> this batch. Once I get the hang of this, I'll add stuff like parmesan
> cheese and jalapenos to the dough. I'm digging the smoky flavor -
> maybe one day I'll be able to visit Al Forno in Rhode Island and try
> their famous grilled pizza.
>
> <cough> like I said, I'm a newbie and my temp regulation skills are
> poor. The score board so far is 2 charbabies and 1 slightly under
> cooked. I think I'll put a cheat and go dual layer on the steel
> plating with about a 1/2" space between the 2 plates. (I'm an amateur
> backyard welder)
>
> I haven't done any mods to the ECB except drilling some air holes in
> the coal pan. The legs are still on the inside. I didn't know about
> ECB mods when I bought the thing (because it was sooo cheap!)
>
> One of these days, I'll weld up my own smoker but right now I'm just
> starting to learn about what works and what doesn't.
>
> And yeah, I eat meat.

jj - Any unglazed tiles from a store like home depot will fill your
needs, and at a pretty cheap price.

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

jj wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm a newbie BBQer and I'm also a newbie baker so I figured what the
> heck, let's put some bread dough on a steel plate in the ECB (el
> cheapo Brinkman).

Which ECB? There is a Gourmet Charcoal and the Cajun Cooker. It's much
easier to control temp in the GCECB than in the CCECB. If you say you
drilled holes, then I suspect you have the CCECB as the GCECB doesn't need
firepan mods.

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:

> Which ECB? There is a Gourmet Charcoal and the Cajun Cooker. It's much
> easier to control temp in the GCECB than in the CCECB. If you say you
> drilled holes, then I suspect you have the CCECB as the GCECB doesn't
> need firepan mods.

And a third, "Smoke 'n Grill", which I think is the same as the Cajun Cooker.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

(jj) wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm a newbie BBQer and I'm also a newbie baker so I figured what the
> heck, let's put some bread dough on a steel plate in the ECB (el
> cheapo Brinkman). The dough is just Costco white flour, Costco yeast,
> some melted butter and water...oh yeah also some steel cut oats in
> this batch. Once I get the hang of this, I'll add stuff like parmesan
> cheese and jalapenos to the dough. I'm digging the smoky flavor -
> maybe one day I'll be able to visit Al Forno in Rhode Island and try
> their famous grilled pizza.
>
> <cough> like I said, I'm a newbie and my temp regulation skills are
> poor. The score board so far is 2 charbabies and 1 slightly under
> cooked. I think I'll put a cheat and go dual layer on the steel
> plating with about a 1/2" space between the 2 plates. (I'm an amateur
> backyard welder)
>
> I haven't done any mods to the ECB except drilling some air holes in
> the coal pan. The legs are still on the inside. I didn't know about
> ECB mods when I bought the thing (because it was sooo cheap!)
>
> One of these days, I'll weld up my own smoker but right now I'm just
> starting to learn about what works and what doesn't.
>
> And yeah, I eat meat.

Welcome Jay. How did the crust and crumb on your bread turn out?

How thick are the steel plates? Do you have enough room around them for
good air circulation?

Regarding your undercooked meat, that might be dangerous for you to eat. I
suggest sending it to me immediately for inspection! ;-)

families:
https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
jj jj is offline

Sqwertz > wrote:

>Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> Which ECB? There is a Gourmet Charcoal and the Cajun Cooker. It's much
>> easier to control temp in the GCECB than in the CCECB. If you say you
>> drilled holes, then I suspect you have the CCECB as the GCECB doesn't
>> need firepan mods.

>And a third, "Smoke 'n Grill", which I think is the same as the Cajun Cooker.
>
>-sw

Uh...I think I have the cheapest one ~$29 - Smoke 'n Grill I think. I
could see having a 2 or 3 of these going at the same time. The main
body was a bit out of round. At the time, I thought they were on
special because they were damaged. Now I know that's the regular
price and the fit/dimensions aren't so great on these. Next time,
I'll check roundness before I buy. :-)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
jj jj is offline

Nick Cramer > wrote:
>Welcome Jay. How did the crust and crumb on your bread turn out?

I was quite happy with the crumb - nicely springy. As with concrete,
you don't want to add any more water than necessary. :-) Now the
crust - whoa - char city. If I flip the round loaf upside down, it
would look like a giant charcoal briquette. I think I will pat the
dough down to about an inch and then put it on the heat and try for a
finished height of about 2 inches. I may also try smaller ~4"
diameter loafettes.

>How thick are the steel plates? Do you have enough room around them for
>good air circulation?

I had a 3/16" plate that was just the right size to let hot air come
up between the 4 straight edges and the roundness of the ECB.

>Regarding your undercooked meat, that might be dangerous for you to eat. I
>suggest sending it to me immediately for inspection! ;-)

LOL - after a few days via US mail parcel post? Dangerous indeed!
:-)

JJ who has done much more grilling than Qing but he's coming around.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
jj jj is offline

Bob Muncie > wrote:
>jj - Any unglazed tiles from a store like home depot will fill your
>needs, and at a pretty cheap price.
>Bob

Yes, I had read that the orange clay "Saltillo" tile was popular for
baking. I also wanted to try putting some in my kitchen gas oven as
well. As Nonny mentioned, there are also those round pizza stones.
I've have one of those for years and gotten some good results.

I figured I would start off with the steel plate because I'm pretty
sure I won't crack it. :-)

Bread Baking at School Tara General Cooking 20 15-03-2012 11:06 AM
Baking Bread Using A Bread Maker Jake Will N Baking 4 27-02-2010 12:21 AM
Baking Bread Bob Simon General Cooking 8 21-09-2008 06:30 PM
Am I doing it right [Baking Bread] Steve[_22_] Baking 7 19-09-2007 01:30 PM
Beginning Bread Baking Julianne General Cooking 29 18-11-2003 10:52 AM