Are "jelly jars" different?

Old 30-08-2004, 10:31 PM
Anny Middon
Usenet poster

Default Are "jelly jars" different?

Bought some canning jars over the weekend, but the only half-pint ones
available were labelled "jelly jars." I bought them because the jar can't
know if it's filled with a soft spread or chopped tomatoes or pickles.
Mostly I figured that the term "jelly jar" means the waffle pattern on the
jar itself and the the fruit picture on the lid are designed to make jams
and jellies look good.

But then I got to thinking -- when I get a pressure canner, are these jars
suitable for use in pressure canning? There didn't seem to a price
difference other than that due to size between the half-pint "jelly jars'
and the pint canning jars.

Anny

Old 31-08-2004, 12:09 AM
Blanche Nonken
Usenet poster

"Anny Middon" wrote:

But then I got to thinking -- when I get a pressure canner, are these jars
suitable for use in pressure canning?

I pressure-canned single-serving batches of all meat chili in 4 oz.
jelly jars. No problem.

Old 31-08-2004, 03:35 AM
Bob (this one)
Usenet poster

Anny Middon wrote:

Bought some canning jars over the weekend, but the only half-pint ones
available were labelled "jelly jars." I bought them because the jar can't
know if it's filled with a soft spread or chopped tomatoes or pickles.

Oh, the jars know. They go through special training for that. They'll
report you. I'd be careful. If you're nice to them, they might forget it.

Pastorio

Old 31-08-2004, 11:56 AM
Blanche Nonken
Usenet poster

"Bob (this one)" wrote:

Anny Middon wrote:

Bought some canning jars over the weekend, but the only half-pint ones
available were labelled "jelly jars." I bought them because the jar can't
know if it's filled with a soft spread or chopped tomatoes or pickles.

Oh, the jars know. They go through special training for that. They'll
report you. I'd be careful. If you're nice to them, they might forget it.

Pastorio

Bob, I thought we told you to stay away from the ergot.. And next time
I catch you eating the moldy rye bread, I'm gonna spank you.