Anny Middon

Default Are "jelly jars" different?

Bought some canning jars over the weekend, but the only half-pint ones
available were labelled "jelly jars." I bought them because the jar can't
know if it's filled with a soft spread or chopped tomatoes or pickles.
Mostly I figured that the term "jelly jar" means the waffle pattern on the
jar itself and the the fruit picture on the lid are designed to make jams
and jellies look good.

But then I got to thinking -- when I get a pressure canner, are these jars
suitable for use in pressure canning? There didn't seem to a price
difference other than that due to size between the half-pint "jelly jars'
and the pint canning jars.

Anny