Old 26-07-2004, 07:58 PM
TM

Default Jelly Palm jelly?

Hello everyone... I was looking for a recipe that includes Jelly Palm
fruits (jelly, wine or whatever).. Any recipe or direction to
point me in would be of great help.. Thanks

tim

--
From the desk of Timothy James Morton

"i have so much time and so little to do. Wait. Strike that, reverse it."
-Wonka-

Old 26-07-2004, 08:32 PM
Melba's Jammin'

In article , "TM"
wrote:

Hello everyone... I was looking for a recipe that includes Jelly Palm
fruits (jelly, wine or whatever).. Any recipe or direction to
point me in would be of great help.. Thanks

tim

What are Jelly Palm fruits, Tim?
--
-Barb, www.jamlady.eboard.com An update on 7/22/04.

Old 26-07-2004, 08:51 PM
zxcvbob

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

In article , "TM"
wrote:

Hello everyone... I was looking for a recipe that includes Jelly Palm
fruits (jelly, wine or whatever).. Any recipe or direction to
point me in would be of great help.. Thanks

tim

What are Jelly Palm fruits, Tim?

I've seen clusters of little sour orange fruits on low growing palm
trees near the gulf coast. They would probly make great jelly; I would
start with a plum jelly recipe if I couldn't find one explicitly for
jelly palm fruits. Plum and palm are spelled about the same, so it
should work... ;-)

Bob

Old 26-07-2004, 09:02 PM
TM

They're about 1 1/2" inch dia. fiberous orange fruits that are very sour...
this is a link to what their characteristics
http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/edible-palms.html
i have two in the front yard that are exploding with ripened fruit..

tm

Old 26-07-2004, 09:13 PM
zxcvbob

TM wrote:
They're about 1 1/2" inch dia. fiberous orange fruits that are very sour...
this is a link to what their characteristics
http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/edible-palms.html
i have two in the front yard that are exploding with ripened fruit..

Hi Tim,
I was serious about using a plum jelly recipe, but if the fruits are not
very juicy you might be better off using a mayhaw jelly recipe (boil the
fruit in a little water, mash, cook a little longer, strain, etc.)

Bob
Old 26-07-2004, 10:46 PM
Melba's Jammin'

wrote:

Hello everyone... I was looking for a recipe that includes Jelly
Palm
fruits (jelly, wine or whatever).. Any recipe or direction to
point me in would be of great help.. Thanks

tim

What are Jelly Palm fruits, Tim?
--
-Barb, www.jamlady.eboard.com An update on 7/22/04.

Gee, I don't know a thing about them, but the description of the fruit
sounds wonderful. You could extract the juice (crush the fruit somewhat
and add water about halfway up the depth in a kettle, cook for about 20
minutes, and strain through a cheesecloth), then test it for pectin
content (it involves rubbing alcohol and some of the juice) and proceed
from there. If it has sufficient pectin of its own, use 3/4 to 1 cup
sugar for each cup of strained juice and boil until it jells - about 221
degrees F. Don't use more than about 4-5 cups of juice at one time.
FWIW. Slightly underripe fruit will have more pectin than fully ripe
fruit. Let us know how it turns out, eh?
--
-Barb, www.jamlady.eboard.com An update on 7/22/04.

Old 26-07-2004, 10:47 PM
Melba's Jammin'

In article , zxcvbob
wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

In article , "TM"
wrote:

Hello everyone... I was looking for a recipe that includes Jelly Palm
fruits (jelly, wine or whatever).. Any recipe or direction to
point me in would be of great help.. Thanks

tim

What are Jelly Palm fruits, Tim?

I've seen clusters of little sour orange fruits on low growing palm
trees near the gulf coast. They would probly make great jelly; I would
start with a plum jelly recipe if I couldn't find one explicitly for
jelly palm fruits. Plum and palm are spelled about the same, so it
should work... ;-)

Bob

Your mama didn't smack you enough when you were little.
--
-Barb, www.jamlady.eboard.com An update on 7/22/04.

Jelly, jelly & more jelly. [email protected] Preserving 4 27-07-2012 06:01 AM
Jelly help please Tarpon Preserving 2 02-10-2008 07:58 PM
I Like Jelly Pie [email protected] General Cooking 1 20-01-2006 07:22 PM
Jelly Bean Jelly (Jam) alandem Beer 3 27-01-2005 03:03 AM
Jelly Bean Jelly (Jam) alandem Chocolate 0 25-01-2005 04:00 PM