Posted to hfx.general,rec.food.preserving

Default Needed: Jelly Jars

In article om>,
Dartguy > wrote:
> Apple leather ??
>
> Is it something like those fruit roll-up things ?

grrrrrr. I get that all the time!! That's like me baking a thin
chocolate cake out of the best ingredients, rolling it up around
fresh-whipped cream, and someone saying, "Is it something like a Vachon
Snail Cake??"

Yes. It's what fruit roll-up things would be if they weren't mostly
chemicals :-)

For years I've made it with fresh apple pulp, and then the last time I
made apple butter from the leftover "muck" from the apple jelly, I put
some of the apple butter mix in the dehydrator - it has a ton of sugar,
cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg in it - and made leather with that, and
people went absolutely crazy over it, so I'll probably do some like that
again.

> If so does it have a good shelf life

Very good shelf life - months or years - if you keep it in an airtight
container. It has almost no water in it.

You can sort of make it in an oven, but it's easiest if you have a fruit
dehydrator.

--
Daniel MacKay
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada