Preserving eggplant

« Jars | B&B pickles »

Old 17-01-2009, 02:50 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Preserving eggplant

What's the best way to preserve fresh eggplants? I always end with more
than we can eat from the garden. Is there some way to preserve them? What
methods have you tried?

Old 17-01-2009, 11:51 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

"D. Arlington" wrote:
What's the best way to preserve fresh eggplants? I always end with more
than we can eat from the garden. Is there some way to preserve them? What
methods have you tried?

The only one I know:

Nick's Caponata Siciliano:

3 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
600g (1 1/4 lb, 3 1/2 cups) diced (unpeeled) aubergine (eggplant)
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
2 small sticks celery, finely chopped
three to six large cloves of garlic, minced
six to 12 button mushrooms or equivalent, chopped
15-20 pitted green olives, chopped
10-15 pitted black olives, chopped
3 Tbs chopped drained bottled capers
4 Tbs (1/4 cup) red wine or Balsamic vinegar
1-1/2 Tbs sugar substitute I have diabetes), or to taste
3 Tbs golden raisins (optional, but nice)
3 Tbs pine nuts (pignole or piñones), toasted lightly (optional, but nice)
3/4 x 400g can (1 cup) good chopped plum tomatoes (San Marzano)
4 Tbs (1/4 cup) finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves (optional)

1. Cook the aubergine in 2 Tbs of the olive oil over moderately high heat.
The best way I've found to do this is to heat 1 Tbs oil in a heavy frying
pan, add the aubergine and mix well, then drizzle over another 1 Tbs oil
and mix again. This helps stop the cubes on the bottom from absorbing all
the oil. Cook, stirring often, until done - I like my aubergine very soft,
so I give it 15-20 minutes. When done, transfer to a bowl.

2. Add the remaining 1 Tbs oil to the frying pan, tip in the onion and
celery (I also add some minced garlic and mushrooms), and cook, stirring,
for about 5 minutes over moderate heat or until the onion is fairly soft
but not coloured.

3. Add the olives, capers, wine or vinegar, sugar substitute, raisins, pine
nuts (if using), and tomatoes and cook the mixture, stirring occasionally,
for 5-10 minutes, or until it is cooked through and the celery is tender.
Cook it covered if using fresh tomatoes, and uncovered if using canned,
since they have more juice.

4. Add the tomato mixture to the bowl. Add the parsley and mix well. Cool
and chill overnight, then season with salt and black pepper.

This should freeze well, but it doesn't last long enough here!

Mangia! Mangia!

families! I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Old 17-01-2009, 12:21 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

D. Arlington wrote:
What's the best way to preserve fresh eggplants? I always end with more
than we can eat from the garden. Is there some way to preserve them?
What methods have you tried?

I have tried

http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...pickles02.html

I pack in sterile jar and put in fridge after 3 days.
Old 17-01-2009, 02:32 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

D. Arlington wrote:
What's the best way to preserve fresh eggplants? I always end with more
than we can eat from the garden. Is there some way to preserve them?
What methods have you tried?

Eggplant caponata freezes well, as does eggplant moussaka. Any other way
you end up with a mushy mess. I have recipes for both if you are interested.

I understand your dilemma, we had six plants deliver 75 lbs of eggplant
one year. Neighbors would lock their doors and turn off the lights if
they saw one of us coming with a plastic bag in our hand.
Old 17-01-2009, 04:58 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

sometime in the recent past D. Arlington posted this:
What's the best way to preserve fresh eggplants? I always end with more
than we can eat from the garden. Is there some way to preserve them?
What methods have you tried?

Peel and cut into 1/2" thick circles, dredge in seasoned flour, dip in egg
wash, roll in seasoned Italian bread crumbs, Panko or something that you
like and fry until golden in 1/4" olive oil & flip and fry second side.
Drain and freeze in bags. We pull them as necessary from the freezer and cut
into chunks to put on pizza. We've also just had them in a sandwich with
mayo. Makes a good eggplant Parmesan.

--
Wilson N44º39" W67º12"
Old 17-01-2009, 05:43 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"D. Arlington" wrote:
What's the best way to preserve fresh eggplants? I always end with more
than we can eat from the garden. Is there some way to preserve them? What
methods have you tried?

Thank you for the recipe Nick, but I'll have too many eggplants to do this
way. I also would like to preserve them so they can be used in different
dishes over the winter.

Old 17-01-2009, 05:46 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

"Bob James" wrote in message
g.com...
D. Arlington wrote:
What's the best way to preserve fresh eggplants? I always end with more
than we can eat from the garden. Is there some way to preserve them? What
methods have you tried?

I have tried

http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...pickles02.html

I pack in sterile jar and put in fridge after 3 days.

Thank you Bob but I'll have a lot of eggplants to preserve for different
dishes we like. Once pickled they would not be usable for us. Is there any
way to preserve them that doesn't include a "recipe" of some kind?

Old 17-01-2009, 05:54 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" wrote in message
D. Arlington wrote:
What's the best way to preserve fresh eggplants? I always end with more
than we can eat from the garden. Is there some way to preserve them? What
methods have you tried?

Eggplant caponata freezes well, as does eggplant moussaka. Any other way
you end up with a mushy mess. I have recipes for both if you are
interested.

Thanks but I already have more recipes for eggplant than I can ever use. I
also can't fry them since it ads hundreds of calories to a dish. I spray
them with Spam and bake them before using.

I understand your dilemma, we had six plants deliver 75 lbs of eggplant
one year. Neighbors would lock their doors and turn off the lights if they
saw one of us coming with a plastic bag in our hand.

LOL! I know what you mean. They did the same thing when they saw me coming
up their walks last summer with yet another sack of cucumbers, tomatoes,
greens and eggplants; and I'm a canner. :-) I was hoping there was some
way to freeze/preserve them plain so they could be used in the recipes my
family likes all winter long. Apparently I'll have to make those dishes
first, then freeze them. That'll take a lot of space in the freezer. It
kills me to compost good food and there's nowhere to donate fresh vegetables
where I live.

Old 17-01-2009, 06:00 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

"Wilson" wrote in message
sometime in the recent past D. Arlington posted this:
What's the best way to preserve fresh eggplants? I always end with more
than we can eat from the garden. Is there some way to preserve them? What
methods have you tried?

Peel and cut into 1/2" thick circles, dredge in seasoned flour, dip in egg
wash, roll in seasoned Italian bread crumbs, Panko or something that you
like and fry until golden in 1/4" olive oil & flip and fry second side.
Drain and freeze in bags. We pull them as necessary from the freezer and
cut into chunks to put on pizza. We've also just had them in a sandwich
with mayo. Makes a good eggplant Parmesan.

--
Wilson N44º39" W67º12"

Thanks Wilson. It looks like cooking them first is the key to preserving
them for winter use. Have you ever tried baking them with a light spray of
Pam, then freezing them? Since developing hypothyroidism I can no longer eat
fried foods. I think I'll give cooking them, them freezing them, a try this
summer.

Old 17-01-2009, 06:02 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

D. Arlington wrote:
What's the best way to preserve fresh eggplants? I always end with
more than we can eat from the garden. Is there some way to preserve
them? What methods have you tried?

Eggplant caponata freezes well, as does eggplant moussaka. Any other
way you end up with a mushy mess. I have recipes for both if you are
interested.

Thanks but I already have more recipes for eggplant than I can ever use.
I also can't fry them since it ads hundreds of calories to a dish. I
spray them with Spam and bake them before using.

Instead of frying them, they can be baked without oil and achieve the same
results as I mentioned in my post.

I did a quick search on 'blanching eggplant' and came up with plenty of
methods and here's one now http://www.pickyourown.org/freezingeggplant.htm

Old 17-01-2009, 07:13 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

"Wilson" wrote in message
[...]

See my previous post. Personally, I've never liked Pam and you can bake them
without it if you like the above recipe. Otherwise, blanching & freezing is
a simple method. Blanching stops the enzymes that would change sugars to
starch (if you've ever had frozen veggies that weren't blanched first,
you'll see how the flavor gets worse with time.)

I envy your eggplant prowess - too cold with early frosts for me on the
coast here in Maine. Good luck.

--
Wilson N44º39" W67º12"
Old 18-01-2009, 09:59 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

Wilson wrote:
[ . . . ]
I did a quick search on 'blanching eggplant' and came up with plenty of
methods and here's one now
http://www.pickyourown.org/freezingeggplant.htm
[ . . . ]

Excellent, Wilson. Thanks!

Old 18-01-2009, 02:19 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 20:50:13 -0600, "D. Arlington"
wrote:

What's the best way to preserve fresh eggplants? I always end with more
than we can eat from the garden. Is there some way to preserve them? What
methods have you tried?

Not knowing any better and not doing any research on the matter, I
once sliced them more thickly than I would for frying, stacked them up
and popped them in the microwave to steam a bit, then put wax paper
between the slices, and popped them into the freezer. I used them in
soup, pizza, and other dishes, and even dredged the already-cooked
slices with bread crumbs and fried them. When they are fried this way,
they do not absorb all that oil.
Old 18-01-2009, 04:16 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

"D. Arlington" wrote in message

"Wilson" wrote in message
sometime in the recent past D. Arlington posted this:
What's the best way to preserve fresh eggplants?

(clipped)
Peel and cut into 1/2" thick circles, dredge in seasoned flour, dip in
egg wash, roll in seasoned Italian bread crumbs, Panko or something that
you like and fry until golden in 1/4" olive oil & flip and fry second
side. Drain and freeze in bags. We pull them as necessary from the
freezer and cut into chunks to put on pizza. We've also just had them in
a sandwich with mayo. Makes a good eggplant Parmesan.
Wilson N44º39" W67º12"

Thanks Wilson. It looks like cooking them first is the key to preserving
them for winter use. Have you ever tried baking them with a light spray
of Pam, then freezing them? Since developing hypothyroidism I can no
longer eat fried foods. I think I'll give cooking them, them freezing
them, a try this summer.

My Sis has a thyroid disease, but mostly she likes to eat healthy &
vegetarian. Whilst visiting, she got out my stovetop griller and grilled up
her eggplanters with nice grillmarks (with a spit of olive oil, I think).
This might be an added bonus for you.
I did 2 different pickled eggplants from _Joy of Pickling_: the Madras
pickled was rich (with a bit of oo) curry flavored chunks in sauce, then a
Lebonese garlic stuffed baby eggplanters. Y'all rilly have to love garlic to
enjoy that one. In any case both tended to mush when canned.
m2cw
Edrena

Old 18-01-2009, 04:28 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

In article ,
Wilson wrote:
o a dish. I

Instead of frying them, they can be baked without oil and achieve the same

If sticking is a concern, baking on sheets of parchment will prevent
that. FWIW.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller