Posted to rec.food.preserving
D. Arlington[_2_] D. Arlington[_2_] is offline

Default Preserving eggplant

"Wilson" > wrote in message
> sometime in the recent past D. Arlington posted this:
>> What's the best way to preserve fresh eggplants? I always end with more
>> than we can eat from the garden. Is there some way to preserve them? What
>> methods have you tried?

> Peel and cut into 1/2" thick circles, dredge in seasoned flour, dip in egg
> wash, roll in seasoned Italian bread crumbs, Panko or something that you
> like and fry until golden in 1/4" olive oil & flip and fry second side.
> Drain and freeze in bags. We pull them as necessary from the freezer and
> cut into chunks to put on pizza. We've also just had them in a sandwich
> with mayo. Makes a good eggplant Parmesan.
>
> --
> Wilson N44º39" W67º12"

Thanks Wilson. It looks like cooking them first is the key to preserving
them for winter use. Have you ever tried baking them with a light spray of
Pam, then freezing them? Since developing hypothyroidism I can no longer eat
fried foods. I think I'll give cooking them, them freezing them, a try this
summer.