Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Preserving jam

Does anyone know why the inside of the lids I use for preserving
apricot-pineapple jam seem to become marred and etched over time? This
year I have poured a layer of wax over the jam to seal it before
placing the lids on the jar. Any other suggestioons would be greatly
appreciated!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Joneses

" wrote:

> Does anyone know why the inside of the lids I use for preserving
> apricot-pineapple jam seem to become marred and etched over time? This
> year I have poured a layer of wax over the jam to seal it before
> placing the lids on the jar. Any other suggestioons would be greatly
> appreciated!

How long is time? While jam is probably edible for several years after
proper canning, I don't keep mine beyond 2 years. How are you processing?
Do you use boiling water bath or just pour in hot jam? And do you live in
a hot or humid climate or is it very cool where you store your jams? The
USDA does not recommend using wax to seal jams.
And come join us at rec.food.preserving - a very informative, friendly and
civilized group. The FAQ: http://www.jaclu.com/rfpFAQ/rfpFAQ.htm
See y'all there.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article .com>,
" > wrote:

> Does anyone know why the inside of the lids I use for preserving
> apricot-pineapple jam seem to become marred and etched over time? This
> year I have poured a layer of wax over the jam to seal it before
> placing the lids on the jar. Any other suggestioons would be greatly
> appreciated!

Over how much time? It would take a few years for the acid in the fruit
to affect the inside of the lid, IME. I assume you're using brand new
lids. It's been a few years since Kerr stopped making lids with a grey
substance that would occasionally get gummy.

I don't have a problem with my lids.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-23-05 - Potica!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

We keep the jam for about a year. I boil the jars and pour the hot jam
into the hot jars. Then I usually screw on the lids which have been
boiled and are still hot. I usually do not use a boiling water bath. We
live in a moderate climate. And we store the jars at room temperature -
70 degrees +/-. I tried the wax this year,(which was the traditional
way my mother sealed this jam for many years), thinking that the pectin
or some other ingredient might be reacting with the suface of the lid.
These lids may not be the best type to use. They were purchased from
the bottling company at the same time I bought the bottles and I just
assumed they would be ok. They have a rubberiezd edge to give a tight
seal and the rest of the undersurface is a white finish on metal.

Do you know the reason why the USDA does not recommend wax for sealing?

Thanks for your help Edrena. Tunkey

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The lids start to etch within a few months - and I am assuming it is
because of some sort of chemical reaction. If this continues I'll go
back to glass lids or to Kerr or Ball jars and lids which have always
worked well. The past couple of years I've purchased jars and lids from
a local bottling company. Yes - I have always used new lids. Tunkey

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Joneses

" wrote:

> We keep the jam for about a year. I boil the jars and pour the hot jam
> into the hot jars. Then I usually screw on the lids which have been
> boiled and are still hot. I usually do not use a boiling water bath. We
> live in a moderate climate. And we store the jars at room temperature -
> 70 degrees +/-. I tried the wax this year,(which was the traditional
> way my mother sealed this jam for many years), thinking that the pectin
> or some other ingredient might be reacting with the suface of the lid.
> These lids may not be the best type to use. They were purchased from
> the bottling company at the same time I bought the bottles and I just
> assumed they would be ok. They have a rubberiezd edge to give a tight
> seal and the rest of the undersurface is a white finish on metal.
>
> Do you know the reason why the USDA does not recommend wax for sealing?
>
> Thanks for your help Edrena. Tunkey

Could it be you've kept the lids all in a bag, perhaps allowing some
microscopic scrapes of the lid or sealant surface? Jam is an acidic product
and a tiny scrape ould allow the deterioration to start. Those lids really
rust pretty easily, which is why one stores this stuff with the lid rings
*off*. We use the boiling water bath (not really an involved, expensive or
complicated process) to ensure a good seal & kill most baddies. Your
product will keep longer and look nicer. The problem with wax is that
minute air bubbles and cracks can form, allowing molds to form, or letting
in bacteria to spoil the product. While your jars may seal with just the
hot jam (called the open kettle method), it is not a sure bet that all the
air was evacuated or that the stuff was hot enough, allowing bacteria to
spoil all your hard work. Research has shown that even when you have a
small spot of mold, the tendrils of it may go all thru the product. Some
people are very allergic to molds. The USDA's research site at the
University of Georgia is a good place to start with many items on
preserving: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publication...ions_usda.html
The Ball Blue Book (available at WalMart) is an inexpensive beginners guide
to all kinds of preserving, as well as instructions. They've got some dandy
recipes, too. The pears in brandy is my current favorite. Check out the
liberry, too.
Best of luck - come visit the preserving group, too.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article .com>,
" > wrote:

> The lids start to etch within a few months - and I am assuming it is
> because of some sort of chemical reaction. If this continues I'll go
> back to glass lids or to Kerr or Ball jars and lids which have always
> worked well. The past couple of years I've purchased jars and lids from
> a local bottling company. Yes - I have always used new lids. Tunkey

Allrighty, then. I assumed you *were* using Ball or Kerr (or Bernardin
if Canadian) lids and rings. Consider asking the company from which you
purchased about your problem ‹ if jam is an appropriate use for their
product.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-23-05 - Potica!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article .com>,
" > wrote:

> Do you know the reason why the USDA does not recommend wax for sealing?

It's not a reliable seal and if done improperly pinholes allow for mold
spores to enter and grow. Check out the National Center for Home Food
Preservation (NCHFP) site at the U of GA -- www.uga.edu/nchfp and poke
around there.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-23-05 - Potica!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

> ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...
> Does anyone know why the inside of the lids I use for preserving
> apricot-pineapple jam seem to become marred and etched over time? This
> year I have poured a layer of wax over the jam to seal it before
> placing the lids on the jar. Any other suggestioons would be greatly
> appreciated!

I know that some people put over the jam (before you close lids) a disk of
oven paper wet with alcohol. This is to preserve the jam from mould.
I didn't understand what problem have you got with lids! I don't understand
the word "marred". But if moluld is your problem, put more sugar and cook
more your jam!
Cheers
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

But it's also possible that the vitamin C contained in pineapple cause the
etching of lids!

cheers
Pandora

"Pandora" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> > ha scritto nel messaggio
> oups.com...
>> Does anyone know why the inside of the lids I use for preserving
>> apricot-pineapple jam seem to become marred and etched over time? This
>> year I have poured a layer of wax over the jam to seal it before
>> placing the lids on the jar. Any other suggestioons would be greatly
>> appreciated!

> I know that some people put over the jam (before you close lids) a disk of
> oven paper wet with alcohol. This is to preserve the jam from mould.
> I didn't understand what problem have you got with lids! I don't
> understand the word "marred". But if moluld is your problem, put more
> sugar and cook more your jam!
> Cheers
> Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Cook

On 27 Nov 2005 12:11:10 -0800, " >
wrote:

>Do you know the reason why the USDA does not recommend wax for sealing?

I quit using paraffin when I found the line of ants helping themselves
to the jelly.

--
Susan N.

not quite preserving songbird Preserving 0 20-10-2011 06:05 PM
More preserving The Cook Preserving 0 27-07-2008 07:18 PM
Preserving raw fish Nick Cramer Preserving 16 12-12-2007 08:28 PM
Preserving Gingeroot? Arsenio Oloroso Asian Cooking 9 16-03-2007 04:04 PM
Preserving Garlic Andy Petro Preserving 4 24-04-2006 10:46 PM