Posted to rec.food.preserving
Wilson[_5_] Wilson[_5_] is offline

Default Preserving eggplant

sometime in the recent past D. Arlington posted this:

> "Wilson" > wrote in message
>> sometime in the recent past D. Arlington posted this:
>>> What's the best way to preserve fresh eggplants? I always end with
>>> more than we can eat from the garden. Is there some way to preserve
>>> them? What methods have you tried?

>> Peel and cut into 1/2" thick circles, dredge in seasoned flour, dip in
>> egg wash, roll in seasoned Italian bread crumbs, Panko or something
>> that you like and fry until golden in 1/4" olive oil & flip and fry
>> second side. Drain and freeze in bags. We pull them as necessary from
>> the freezer and cut into chunks to put on pizza. We've also just had
>> them in a sandwich with mayo. Makes a good eggplant Parmesan.
>>
>> --
>> Wilson N44º39" W67º12"

> Thanks Wilson. It looks like cooking them first is the key to preserving
> them for winter use. Have you ever tried baking them with a light spray
> of Pam, then freezing them? Since developing hypothyroidism I can no
> longer eat fried foods. I think I'll give cooking them, them freezing
> them, a try this summer.

See my previous post. Personally, I've never liked Pam and you can bake them
without it if you like the above recipe. Otherwise, blanching & freezing is
a simple method. Blanching stops the enzymes that would change sugars to
starch (if you've ever had frozen veggies that weren't blanched first,
you'll see how the flavor gets worse with time.)

I envy your eggplant prowess - too cold with early frosts for me on the
coast here in Maine. Good luck.

--
Wilson N44º39" W67º12"