Posted to rec.food.preserving
The Joneses[_1_] The Joneses[_1_] is offline

Default Preserving eggplant

"D. Arlington" > wrote in message

> "Wilson" > wrote in message
>> sometime in the recent past D. Arlington posted this:
>>> What's the best way to preserve fresh eggplants?

(clipped)
>> Peel and cut into 1/2" thick circles, dredge in seasoned flour, dip in
>> egg wash, roll in seasoned Italian bread crumbs, Panko or something that
>> you like and fry until golden in 1/4" olive oil & flip and fry second
>> side. Drain and freeze in bags. We pull them as necessary from the
>> freezer and cut into chunks to put on pizza. We've also just had them in
>> a sandwich with mayo. Makes a good eggplant Parmesan.
>> Wilson N44º39" W67º12"

> Thanks Wilson. It looks like cooking them first is the key to preserving
> them for winter use. Have you ever tried baking them with a light spray
> of Pam, then freezing them? Since developing hypothyroidism I can no
> longer eat fried foods. I think I'll give cooking them, them freezing
> them, a try this summer.

My Sis has a thyroid disease, but mostly she likes to eat healthy &
vegetarian. Whilst visiting, she got out my stovetop griller and grilled up
her eggplanters with nice grillmarks (with a spit of olive oil, I think).
This might be an added bonus for you.
I did 2 different pickled eggplants from _Joy of Pickling_: the Madras
pickled was rich (with a bit of oo) curry flavored chunks in sauce, then a
Lebonese garlic stuffed baby eggplanters. Y'all rilly have to love garlic to
enjoy that one. In any case both tended to mush when canned.
m2cw
Edrena