Help: Beans in Chili Not Soft

Old 28-09-2003, 11:40 PM
dr owl
Usenet poster

Default Help: Beans in Chili Not Soft

We made a large pot of chili con carne (Gazzaniga's low salt, lowest
sodium cookbook) Soaked red kidney beans overnight. Cooked 1 and a
half hrs per package instructions. Added to ingredients and simmered
1/2 hr per cookbook. The beans are not cooked well and are crunchy. Is
there anything we can do at this point to rescue the beans and save
this?

dr owl---- clearly not a wise owl :)
Old 28-09-2003, 11:46 PM
rod keys
Usenet poster

Beans will not soften in an acid like tomato. Now that they're in the
chille, you're in trouble. They should have cooked till soft in water
THEN add them.

The tradtitional way to serve chille, by the way, is with beans in a
seperate bowl anyway.

Also, traditional chille beans are pintos not kidney beans.

To cook pinto (or kidney) beans for chille:

Either soak over night or bring to a boil and let stand for "a while" then
drain.

Put them in LOTS of water with salt, and something green chopped and added
(celery leaves, cilantro, etc. etc. .. almost anything) and cook at a
"smile" (just short of a boil). Cook as long as it takes to have about 6
beers then test them. If soft drain and serve in a seperate bowl from the
chille.

RK

Old 29-09-2003, 12:06 AM
texpat
Usenet poster

Next time, stay on the safe side and use canned beans (drained).

Or, better yet, don't use beans at all. Seriously, you got good advice
when they told you to keep cooking them. Time to cook beans varies
depending, among other things, the age of the beans. The older the bean, the
longer it takes to cook, and we have no way of telling how old they are if
we buy them at the store.

Old 29-09-2003, 03:19 AM
Nina
Usenet poster

Default Beans in Chili Not Soft

"dr owl" wrote in message
om...
We made a large pot of chili con carne (Gazzaniga's low salt, lowest
sodium cookbook) Soaked red kidney beans overnight. Cooked 1 and a
half hrs per package instructions. Added to ingredients and simmered
1/2 hr per cookbook. The beans are not cooked well and are crunchy. Is
there anything we can do at this point to rescue the beans and save
this?

Add a lot of water to the entire mess and cook another hour or so.Maybe add
more spices etc afterwards if it tastes bland.

Old 29-09-2003, 03:26 AM
El Fonzo
Usenet poster

dr owl wrote:

We made a large pot of chili con carne (Gazzaniga's low salt, lowest
sodium cookbook) Soaked red kidney beans overnight. Cooked 1 and a
half hrs per package instructions. Added to ingredients and simmered
1/2 hr per cookbook. The beans are not cooked well and are crunchy. Is
there anything we can do at this point to rescue the beans and save
this?

dr owl---- clearly not a wise owl :)

Did you add salt before cooking them as that will make them stay hard -
salt should always be added to beans after they have softened and are
almost - EF

Old 29-09-2003, 04:20 AM
PENMART01
Usenet poster

"dr owl" wrote:

We made a large pot of chili con carne

We, what's this *We*... doncha know too mnay cooks spoil the chili...

( Soaked red kidney beans overnight. Cooked 1 and a
half hrs per package instructions.

Screw directions, cook until done. Older beans may require slightly longer
cooking times but not so much longer that you'd notice... dried beans do not
lose any nutritional value regardless how long they're stored, even if stored
for thousands of years. The major determining factors governing length of
cooking times for dried beans is type of bean and cooking method... bean age
may add a few minutes cooking time, and perhaps no extra time depending on how
stored and moisture content.

Added to ingredients and simmered 1/2 hr per cookbook.

Mistake number ten, you used a fercocktah cookbook to make chili...
NEVER use a cookbook to make chili.

The beans are not cooked well and are crunchy. Is
there anything we can do at this point to rescue the
beans and save this?

Do you have a dog?

Next time be sure beans are fully cooked before adding to anything.
NEVER cook beans in the chili... cook beans in their own liquid... those beans
meant for adding to chili should not be seasoned during cooking. Actually
canned beans are best for adding to chili.... if feeding a crowd you should
seriously consider serving the beans separately.

To learn more about beans go he http://www.americanbean.org

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Old 29-09-2003, 06:11 AM
Blair P. Houghton
Usenet poster

Okay, your first problem is that there are beans in your chili...

--Blair
"Add another half-pound of meat."
Old 29-09-2003, 07:49 AM
Deepak Saxena
Usenet poster

In article ,
dr owl wrote:

We made a large pot of chili con carne (Gazzaniga's low salt, lowest
sodium cookbook) Soaked red kidney beans overnight. Cooked 1 and a
half hrs per package instructions. Added to ingredients and simmered
1/2 hr per cookbook. The beans are not cooked well and are crunchy. Is
there anything we can do at this point to rescue the beans and save
this?

Buy yourself a pressure cooker. I don't eat meat so my main source
of protein is beans and having a pressure cooker has saved me lots
and lots of work. Soak beens, pressurce cook for about 15 minutes
and then add to whatever your final dish will be along with the bean
broth instead of water or stock.

~Deepak
--
Deepak Saxena - - http://www.plexity.net
Old 29-09-2003, 08:07 AM
Vilco \(out\)
Usenet poster

"Isaac Wingfield" ha scritto

If the liquid the beans are cooked in is acid, they will NOT

become
tender. Ever. In many locales, water right out of the tap is

acid.

It is a lifetime that I'm cooking beans in tomato sauce, and they
DO become soft.
What kinda beans are you using, Mercedes or BMW?

Vilco

Old 29-09-2003, 07:27 PM
TwoTon
Usenet poster

I've been trying for years to get my red beans (pinto) as soft and tasty
as Momma used to make for us to take to the cotton patch for lunch.
Finally succeeded. Soak them, overnite if you can otherwise 2-3 hours
in warm water. Then slow cook for at least a few hours. I use a slow
cooker and sometimes just let it go all night. It don't hurt to have
the chili in then too as it only gets better.

Old 29-09-2003, 08:12 PM
Mark Shaw
Usenet poster

Chili is proletarian enough that I have no problems just using
canned beans. Red kidney beans, and I dump the bean gravy in
too -- near the end; they don't really need to cook.

This is not a popular dish with native Texans, but I learned to
make chili in Colorado.

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage -- http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"This time I think the Americans are serious. Bush is not like

Sprouting cacao beans ? Castlef Chocolate 6 27-06-2011 10:31 AM
baking temp for soft roll al Baking 4 24-02-2004 01:07 PM
Pointers to things one can do with cocoa beans wanted Andreas Siegert Chocolate 1 03-02-2004 03:38 PM
Cacao Beans Mark Thorson Chocolate 2 20-10-2003 01:51 AM
Bretzels Karl Sigerist Sr© Baking 11 14-10-2003 02:18 PM