Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chili hot beans

I used to buy canned chili beans, most often Brooks. Now I never do,
because there's a better alternative:
Chilli Man Lean Beef variety canned chili, instead of chili hot
beans. This is damned good canned chili.

Yesterday evening, very easy:
-1 pound of super lean ground beef, browned and crumbled
-2 cans of Chilli Man Lean Beef variety canned chili
-a sprinkle of MSG (optional)
This is better than just about anyone's *homemade* chili, which more
often than not is halfway to spaghetti sauce. Nice optional toppings
could include:
Chopped sweet onions, chopped ripe jalapenos, shredded cheese, chopped
black olives, and powdered arbol, cayenne or piquin chile.
Even if one does want to make the tomatoey stuff, the Chilli Man Lean
Beef variety canned chili is a better bean base than any of the brands
of "chili hot beans," and bought on sale for $1 a can, is not
significantly more expensive.

IMO, there is no canned chili with beans that has enough meat in it..

This obviously isn't *cooking*, but merely adding extra ground beef to
a prepared food. When I make scratch chili, I use cooked to death red
kidney beans.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 18, 7:22*am, Bryan > wrote:
> I used to buy canned chili beans, most often Brooks. *Now I never do,
> because there's a better alternative:
> Chilli Man Lean Beef variety canned chili, instead of chili hot
> beans. *This is damned good canned chili.
>
> Yesterday evening, very easy:
> -1 pound of super lean ground beef, browned and crumbled
> -2 cans of Chilli Man Lean Beef variety canned chili
> -a sprinkle of MSG (optional)
> This is better than just about anyone's *homemade* chili, which more
> often than not is halfway to spaghetti sauce. *Nice optional toppings
> could include:
> Chopped sweet onions, chopped ripe jalapenos, shredded cheese, chopped
> black olives, and powdered arbol, cayenne or piquin chile.
> Even if one does want to make the tomatoey stuff, the Chilli Man Lean
> Beef variety canned chili is a better bean base than any of the brands
> of "chili hot beans," and bought on sale for $1 a can, is not
> significantly more expensive.
>
> IMO, there is no canned chili with beans that has enough meat in it..
>
> This obviously isn't *cooking*, but merely adding extra ground beef to
> a prepared food. *When I make scratch chili, I use cooked to death red
> kidney beans.
>
> --Bryan

The only time I eat canned chili is when I've had a few beers.
Otherwise fuhgettabout it. I wouldn't use it as an enhancer either.
It tastes canned. I don't use msg either. Actually what I secretly
like (don't tell anyone) is doing the ground beef, adding sauteed
garlic, onions, peppers etc, adding the spices, letting it slowly
heat for a while, stirring, then eating that prior to any liquid being
added. Usually I just taste a couple of Tbsp's, but it is very
tasty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 18, 7:26*am, A Moose In Love >
wrote:
> On Sep 18, 7:22*am, Bryan > wrote:
>

> > I used to buy canned chili beans, most often Brooks. *Now I never do,
> > because there's a better alternative:
> > Chilli Man Lean Beef variety canned chili, instead of chili hot
> > beans. *This is damned good canned chili.

> > Yesterday evening, very easy:
> > -1 pound of super lean ground beef, browned and crumbled
> > -2 cans of Chilli Man Lean Beef variety canned chili
> > -a sprinkle of MSG (optional)
> > This is better than just about anyone's *homemade* chili, which more
> > often than not is halfway to spaghetti sauce. *Nice optional toppings
> > could include:
> > Chopped sweet onions, chopped ripe jalapenos, shredded cheese, chopped
> > black olives, and powdered arbol, cayenne or piquin chile.
> > Even if one does want to make the tomatoey stuff, the Chilli Man Lean
> > Beef variety canned chili is a better bean base than any of the brands
> > of "chili hot beans," and bought on sale for $1 a can, is not
> > significantly more expensive.

> > IMO, there is no canned chili with beans that has enough meat in it..

> > This obviously isn't *cooking*, but merely adding extra ground beef to
> > a prepared food. *When I make scratch chili, I use cooked to death red
> > kidney beans.

> > --Bryan

> The only time I eat canned chili is when I've had a few beers.

I had a couple of nice Cascade-hoppy APAs yesterday evening too.

> Otherwise fuhgettabout it. *I wouldn't use it as an enhancer either.
> It tastes canned. *

Sure, but no more canned than canned chili hot beans. My point wasn't
comparing it favorably to freshly cooked dried beans.

>I don't use msg either. *

I admit to using it, opening myself up to catching a lot of crap, but
that's par for the course. It's the first time I've added any to
anything in several months. It only takes a tiny bit.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 18, 8:32*am, Bryan > wrote:
> On Sep 18, 7:26*am, A Moose In Love >
> wrote:
>

> > On Sep 18, 7:22*am, Bryan > wrote:

> > > I used to buy canned chili beans, most often Brooks. *Now I never do,
> > > because there's a better alternative:
> > > Chilli Man Lean Beef variety canned chili, instead of chili hot
> > > beans. *This is damned good canned chili.

> > > Yesterday evening, very easy:
> > > -1 pound of super lean ground beef, browned and crumbled
> > > -2 cans of Chilli Man Lean Beef variety canned chili
> > > -a sprinkle of MSG (optional)
> > > This is better than just about anyone's *homemade* chili, which more
> > > often than not is halfway to spaghetti sauce. *Nice optional toppings
> > > could include:
> > > Chopped sweet onions, chopped ripe jalapenos, shredded cheese, chopped
> > > black olives, and powdered arbol, cayenne or piquin chile.
> > > Even if one does want to make the tomatoey stuff, the Chilli Man Lean
> > > Beef variety canned chili is a better bean base than any of the brands
> > > of "chili hot beans," and bought on sale for $1 a can, is not
> > > significantly more expensive.

> > > IMO, there is no canned chili with beans that has enough meat in it..

> > > This obviously isn't *cooking*, but merely adding extra ground beef to
> > > a prepared food. *When I make scratch chili, I use cooked to death red
> > > kidney beans.

> > > --Bryan

> > The only time I eat canned chili is when I've had a few beers.

> I had a couple of nice Cascade-hoppy APAs yesterday evening too.
>
> > Otherwise fuhgettabout it. *I wouldn't use it as an enhancer either.
> > It tastes canned. *

> Sure, but no more canned than canned chili hot beans. *My point wasn't
> comparing it favorably to freshly cooked dried beans.

Now on the other hand you have a point. I don't youse the canned
chili hot beans, but do use canned beans. Go figure.

> >I don't use msg either. *

> I admit to using it, opening myself up to catching a lot of crap, but
> that's par for the course. *It's the first time I've added any to
> anything in several months. *It only takes a tiny bit.

Some people use too much and it becomes overpowering I find.

> --Bryan- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 18, 7:52*am, A Moose In Love >
wrote:
> On Sep 18, 8:32*am, Bryan > wrote:
>

> > On Sep 18, 7:26*am, A Moose In Love >
> > wrote:

> > > The only time I eat canned chili is when I've had a few beers.

> > I had a couple of nice Cascade-hoppy APAs yesterday evening too.

> > > Otherwise fuhgettabout it. *I wouldn't use it as an enhancer either..
> > > It tastes canned. *

> > Sure, but no more canned than canned chili hot beans. *My point wasn't
> > comparing it favorably to freshly cooked dried beans.

> Now on the other hand you have a point. *I don't youse the canned
> chili hot beans, but do use canned beans. *Go figure.

Try subbing the chili for the canned beans, assuming that you meant
that you use canned beans in chili.

> > --Bryan

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 11:52:00 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 04:22:33 -0700 (PDT), Bryan wrote:
>
>> I used to buy canned chili beans, most often Brooks. Now I never do,
>> because there's a better alternative:
>> Chilli Man Lean Beef variety canned chili, instead of chili hot
>> beans. This is damned good canned chili.

> Canned, mass produced, highly processed chili. That's disgusting.
>
> -sw

you've forgotten the rules. if bobo does it, it is *ipso facto* not
disgusting.

your pal,
blake

dinner 1-1-10 Chili with Beans sf[_9_] General Cooking 37 06-03-2010 12:40 AM
Chili beans Julie Bove Preserving 20 26-04-2009 05:47 AM
Chili beans Julie Bove Diabetic 21 23-04-2009 11:03 PM
chili beans recipe gfulton Preserving 0 27-09-2007 03:53 PM
Chili Beans with or w/o juice? Frank A. Chris Dohrmann General Cooking 8 12-02-2004 12:48 AM