travis

Default Help: Beans in Chili Not Soft

On 28 Sep 2003 15:40:43 -0700, (dr owl)
began spewing the following from their cake-hole:

>We made a large pot of chili con carne (Gazzaniga's low salt, lowest
>sodium cookbook) Soaked red kidney beans overnight. Cooked 1 and a
>half hrs per package instructions. Added to ingredients and simmered
>1/2 hr per cookbook. The beans are not cooked well and are crunchy. Is
>there anything we can do at this point to rescue the beans and save
>this?
>
>dr owl<---- clearly not a wise owl :<)

I'd say to just keep cooking them longer. Seriously. They'll soften
up. I just made a big pot of bean with bacon soup and after soaking
my beans for about 15 hours and then cooking them about 3 hours at a
low boil/simmer they were still a little bit crunchy. I just
continued to cook them and they softened up and the soup turned out
great. Good luck with it.

--
Travis
'63 VW Camo Baja...