David Wright

Default Help: Beans in Chili Not Soft

On 28 Sep 2003 15:40:43 -0700, (dr owl)
wrote:

>We made a large pot of chili con carne (Gazzaniga's low salt, lowest
>sodium cookbook) Soaked red kidney beans overnight. Cooked 1 and a
>half hrs per package instructions. Added to ingredients and simmered
>1/2 hr per cookbook. The beans are not cooked well and are crunchy. Is
>there anything we can do at this point to rescue the beans and save
>this?
>
>dr owl<---- clearly not a wise owl :<)

Beans cook differently according to age. The older they are, the
longer they take to cook.

Please use pinto beans, not kidney beans, as a side dish for chili con
carne, and cook them and spice them differently than you do the chili.
You'll be happier and so will all who enjoy both the chili and the
beans.

David, an old-time chili maker