Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Chili beans

Tonight we tried a new product. Tyson Beef Brisket in a mild chili sauce.
It's very good, although I only have a few bites of it, partly because I
fear I shouldn't really be eating it (might not digest it) and partly
because Angela had an accident with her plate before she had even touched it
and that was all that was left! It's very good, although I didn't check the
carb count.

The smell of it though reminded me of an old favorite. Canned chili beans.
I've only had them once or twice as a diabetic because the carb count is so
high on them. When I did have them I only had about a dozen beans. I
believe the carbs are so high because there is sugar in the sauce.

Now this is probably an American product, but does anyone have a recipe for
these? Perhaps with Splenda? I have plenty of cans of small red beans,
leftover from the period of time when husband couldn't get enough of them.
Now I am trying to find ways to use them up. When I first tried a can, I
found them to be far too salty, even when rinsed. But that must have been a
fluke though because subsequent cans tasted fine. These appear to be the
same beans they make the chili beans with. I don't know if canned beans
would work though. Might be something you have to make from scratch.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Tonight we tried a new product. Tyson Beef Brisket in a mild chili sauce.
> It's very good, although I only have a few bites of it, partly because I
> fear I shouldn't really be eating it (might not digest it) and partly
> because Angela had an accident with her plate before she had even touched
> it and that was all that was left! It's very good, although I didn't
> check the carb count.
>
> The smell of it though reminded me of an old favorite. Canned chili
> beans. I've only had them once or twice as a diabetic because the carb
> count is so high on them. When I did have them I only had about a dozen
> beans. I believe the carbs are so high because there is sugar in the
> sauce.
>
> Now this is probably an American product, but does anyone have a recipe
> for these? Perhaps with Splenda? I have plenty of cans of small red
> beans, leftover from the period of time when husband couldn't get enough
> of them. Now I am trying to find ways to use them up. When I first tried
> a can, I found them to be far too salty, even when rinsed. But that must
> have been a fluke though because subsequent cans tasted fine. These
> appear to be the same beans they make the chili beans with. I don't know
> if canned beans would work though. Might be something you have to make
> from scratch.
>
> Thanks!

Julie, you might find that making your own beans from scratch in your slow
cooker would be best, because you can control the amount of salt, and
control the seasonings too. It isn't difficult at all, it just takes a lot
of time to cook them thoroughly till they are tender. Of course, canned
beans are easier to work with, but as you noted, they can be salty.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> Julie, you might find that making your own beans from scratch in your slow
> cooker would be best, because you can control the amount of salt, and
> control the seasonings too. It isn't difficult at all, it just takes a
> lot of time to cook them thoroughly till they are tender. Of course,
> canned beans are easier to work with, but as you noted, they can be salty.

I've never cooked beans in a slow cooker. I've read that is the worst way
to cook them. I've done baked beans in the slow cooker but only after
cooking them on the stove first.

I do know how to cook beans. What I don't know is what seasonings or
whatever I would put in to make chili beans. The sauce is rather brown and
doesn't really seem tomatoey.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

> > Julie, you might find that making your own beans from scratch in your
> > slow cooker would be best, because you can control the amount of salt,
> > and control the seasonings too. It isn't difficult at all, it just
> > takes a lot of time to cook them thoroughly till they are tender. Of
> > course, canned beans are easier to work with, but as you noted, they
> > can be salty.

> I've never cooked beans in a slow cooker. I've read that is the worst
> way to cook them. I've done baked beans in the slow cooker but only
> after cooking them on the stove first.
>
> I do know how to cook beans. What I don't know is what seasonings or
> whatever I would put in to make chili beans. The sauce is rather brown
> and doesn't really seem tomatoey.

1 pot Simmered Black Beans [see below]
2 Tbs canola oil
1 onion, finely chopped
4 large garlic cloves, minced
3 Tbs mild ground chili (or use hot, or use more)
1 Tbs lightly toasted cumin seeds, ground
1 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes, with juice
2 Tbs tomato paste dissolved in 1 cup water
2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, seeded and chopped
1 tsp dried oregano, preferably Mexican oregano
Salt, preferably kosher salt, to taste
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

4 ounces goat cheese or queso fresco (also known as queso ranchero),
crumbled

1. Make the black beans as directed, preferably the day before you wish to
serve.

2. Heat the oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat, and add the
onion. Cook, stirring often, until the onion is lightly colored, about 10
minutes. Add the garlic, stir together for about a minute until fragrant,
and add the ground chili and cumin. Cook, stirring, for two to three
minutes, until the mixture begins to stick to the pan. Add the tomatoes and
their juice and oregano, and salt to taste. Bring to a simmer and cook,
stirring often, until the tomatoes have cooked down and the mixture is
beginning to stick to the pan, about 10 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste
dissolved in water and the chipotles, and bring back to a simmer. Season
with salt to taste and simmer, stirring often, for 15 minutes, until the
mixture is thick and fragrant.

3. Stir the tomato mixture into the beans, and bring to a simmer. Simmer,
stirring often, for 30 to 45 minutes. Taste and adjust salt.

4. Just before serving, stir in the cilantro. Spoon into bowls, and garnish
each bowl with a generous spoonful of goat cheese or queso fresco. Serve
with corn tortillas or cornbread.

Note: If you want a thicker chili, puree 1 or 2 cups of the beans in a
blender or a food processor fitted with the steel blade and stir back
into the pot.

Yield: Serves six to eight

Advance preparation: The simmered beans can be made three or four days
ahead, and the chili will keep for three or four days in the refrigerator.
This chili freezes well.

**********************

Simmered black beans

Ingredients:

1lb uncooked black beans
6 cups hot water
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely diced
1 serrano chile, seeded and finely diced
1 sprig of epazote, finely chopped [Mexican Oregano - not as good, but OK]
1/2 of an onion, diced
1 tsp cumin
salt to taste

Preparation:
Rinse beans and discard any debris. Place beans in the bottom of the pot
and cover with the hot water. Bring beans to a boil, then reduce to a slow
simmer and cover. Simmer for about 2 hours. Add in additional ingredients
and simmer for another hour, or until beans are soft and a broth has
formed.

Serve beans with a slotted spoon for a side dish. Or, serve in a bowl with
the broth and add in some cooked, cubed chicken and some salsa for a main
dish.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> [...]

> 1 sprig of epazote, finely chopped [Mexican Oregano - not as good, but OK]
> 1/2 of an onion, diced
> 1 tsp cumin
> salt to taste
>
> Preparation:
> Rinse beans and discard any debris. Place beans in the bottom of the pot
> and cover with the hot water. Bring beans to a boil, then reduce to a slow
> simmer and cover. Simmer for about 2 hours. Add in additional ingredients
> and simmer for another hour, or until beans are soft and a broth has
> formed.
>
> Serve beans with a slotted spoon for a side dish. Or, serve in a bowl with
> the broth and add in some cooked, cubed chicken and some salsa for a main
> dish.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their

I know how to cook black beans. This is chili beans that I want a recipe
for. It's not actual chili but just beans in sauce. I did find one recipe
online for them but it calls for golden syrup. I think that's a British
thing and most likely high in carbs.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

Here is a recipe I found online.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Easy-Chilli-Beans-12896

The differences I can see between this and the canned chili beans are that
they seem to use small red beans and not kidney, there are no chopped onions
or tomatoes in them. They might use onion powder. Not sure. I have looked
up the ingredients of the canned ones online and see that there is wheat
flour in them, but they don't list what spices they use. I also don't know
what the golden syrup is. Could I sub Splenda for it?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
> Here is a recipe I found online.
>
> http://www.recipezaar.com/Easy-Chilli-Beans-12896
>
> The differences I can see between this and the canned chili beans are
> that they seem to use small red beans and not kidney, there are no
> chopped onions or tomatoes in them. They might use onion powder. Not
> sure. I have looked up the ingredients of the canned ones online
> and see that there is wheat flour in them, but they don't list what
> spices they use. I also don't know what the golden syrup is. Could
> I sub Splenda for it?
> Thanks!

What about a chile con carne? Nix the ground beef. I'd personally use
crushed, canned tomatoes. I used to love chile con carne over large baked
potatoes with a dollop of sour cream. The baked potatoes you buy in the mall
food courts etc. Its also what I put over corn chips for the kids for
"nachos" sometimes.

http://www.abc.net.au/wa/stories/s394378.htm This one has brown sugar, isn't
there a brown sugar diet stuff in the US? Golden syrup is just like honey
but a bit thicker and a stronger flavour. A liquid glucose type thing.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>
>> Julie, you might find that making your own beans from scratch in your
>> slow cooker would be best, because you can control the amount of salt,
>> and control the seasonings too. It isn't difficult at all, it just
>> takes a lot of time to cook them thoroughly till they are tender. Of
>> course, canned beans are easier to work with, but as you noted, they can
>> be salty.

> I've never cooked beans in a slow cooker. I've read that is the worst way
> to cook them. I've done baked beans in the slow cooker but only after
> cooking them on the stove first.
>
> I do know how to cook beans. What I don't know is what seasonings or
> whatever I would put in to make chili beans. The sauce is rather brown
> and doesn't really seem tomatoey.

Julie, I often approximate recipes that I don't have the official version
of, just going by taste. The particular beans you are referring to.... I
have no idea exactly what flavor they have. You see the term "chili beans"
could mean almost anything. It can mean beans cooked with chilies or with
mexican spices, and the rest of the recipe is anybody's guess. What is
good is that you know how to cook beans. Whether you do them on the stove
top or the slow cooker is irrelevant, but only you could try to figure out
what seasonings were in the particular recipe you tasted.

I looked at the recipe that Nick Cramer posted, and you could probably do
that with Pinto Beans, Pink Beans, or almost any kind of beans you wanted.
Naturally because of the diabetes you would want to use Splenda instead of
some other sweetener.

I make some really delicious baked beans by adding barbecue sauce to canned
beans, then topping them with onions and bacon slices before baking them.
But you may need to adapt another recipe or just experiment around till you
approximate the flavor you had in mind.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> Here is a recipe I found online.
>>
>> http://www.recipezaar.com/Easy-Chilli-Beans-12896
>>
>> The differences I can see between this and the canned chili beans are
>> that they seem to use small red beans and not kidney, there are no
>> chopped onions or tomatoes in them. They might use onion powder. Not
>> sure. I have looked up the ingredients of the canned ones online
>> and see that there is wheat flour in them, but they don't list what
>> spices they use. I also don't know what the golden syrup is. Could
>> I sub Splenda for it?
>> Thanks!

> What about a chile con carne? Nix the ground beef. I'd personally use
> crushed, canned tomatoes. I used to love chile con carne over large baked
> potatoes with a dollop of sour cream. The baked potatoes you buy in the
> mall food courts etc. Its also what I put over corn chips for the kids for
> "nachos" sometimes.
>
> http://www.abc.net.au/wa/stories/s394378.htm This one has brown sugar,
> isn't there a brown sugar diet stuff in the US? Golden syrup is just like
> honey but a bit thicker and a stronger flavour. A liquid glucose type
> thing.

My chili con carne that I make and I have several different recipes doesn't
taste or smell anything like canned chili beans. When I made that meat last
night, it had that same smell. As for fake brown sugar, I don't know. I
thought it was available in Canada but not here. But I guess I could look
again.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Julie, you might find that making your own beans from scratch in your
>>> slow cooker would be best, because you can control the amount of salt,
>>> and control the seasonings too. It isn't difficult at all, it just
>>> takes a lot of time to cook them thoroughly till they are tender. Of
>>> course, canned beans are easier to work with, but as you noted, they can
>>> be salty.

>> I've never cooked beans in a slow cooker. I've read that is the worst
>> way to cook them. I've done baked beans in the slow cooker but only
>> after cooking them on the stove first.
>>
>> I do know how to cook beans. What I don't know is what seasonings or
>> whatever I would put in to make chili beans. The sauce is rather brown
>> and doesn't really seem tomatoey.

> Julie, I often approximate recipes that I don't have the official version
> of, just going by taste. The particular beans you are referring to.... I
> have no idea exactly what flavor they have. You see the term "chili
> beans" could mean almost anything. It can mean beans cooked with chilies
> or with mexican spices, and the rest of the recipe is anybody's guess.
> What is good is that you know how to cook beans. Whether you do them on
> the stove top or the slow cooker is irrelevant, but only you could try to
> figure out what seasonings were in the particular recipe you tasted.
>
> I looked at the recipe that Nick Cramer posted, and you could probably do
> that with Pinto Beans, Pink Beans, or almost any kind of beans you wanted.
> Naturally because of the diabetes you would want to use Splenda instead of
> some other sweetener.
>
> I make some really delicious baked beans by adding barbecue sauce to
> canned beans, then topping them with onions and bacon slices before baking
> them. But you may need to adapt another recipe or just experiment around
> till you approximate the flavor you had in mind.

That's the thing. I have *no* clue how to get that taste or aroma of the
sauce. None of the beans I've seen have had the exact spices listed on the
can. Maybe the food preservation group would have a recipe? I will try
there.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

I began thinking and got to wondering if I could add chili sauce to beans.
Here is a low carb recipe I found for chili sauce.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ce-recipe.html

Seems the spices I was thinking of using were waaaay off. Never would have
thought of cinnamon, allspice and cloves. Still, I don't know if this is
exactly the taste/aroma I want, but I guess I could try it. If I can find
that sugar sub.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 08:03:37 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>My chili con carne that I make and I have several different recipes doesn't
>taste or smell anything like canned chili beans. When I made that meat last
>night, it had that same smell. As for fake brown sugar, I don't know. I
>thought it was available in Canada but not here. But I guess I could look
>again.

A Da Vinci syrup or similar would sub for the Golden Syrup. The Golden
is thicker and gloopier, but less sweet, so you'd need less.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Do you mean like the Ranch Style Bean flavor?
Jacquie
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

>>> I've never cooked beans in a slow cooker. I've read that is the worst
>>> way to cook them. I've done baked beans in the slow cooker but only
>>> after cooking them on the stove first.
>>>
>>> I do know how to cook beans. What I don't know is what seasonings or
>>> whatever I would put in to make chili beans. The sauce is rather brown
>>> and doesn't really seem tomatoey.

>> Julie, I often approximate recipes that I don't have the official version
>> of, just going by taste. The particular beans you are referring to....
>> I have no idea exactly what flavor they have. You see the term "chili
>> beans" could mean almost anything. It can mean beans cooked with chilies
>> or with mexican spices, and the rest of the recipe is anybody's guess.
>> What is good is that you know how to cook beans. Whether you do them on
>> the stove top or the slow cooker is irrelevant, but only you could try to
>> figure out what seasonings were in the particular recipe you tasted.
>>
>> I looked at the recipe that Nick Cramer posted, and you could probably do
>> that with Pinto Beans, Pink Beans, or almost any kind of beans you
>> wanted. Naturally because of the diabetes you would want to use Splenda
>> instead of some other sweetener.
>>
>> I make some really delicious baked beans by adding barbecue sauce to
>> canned beans, then topping them with onions and bacon slices before
>> baking them. But you may need to adapt another recipe or just experiment
>> around till you approximate the flavor you had in mind.

> That's the thing. I have *no* clue how to get that taste or aroma of the
> sauce. None of the beans I've seen have had the exact spices listed on
> the can. Maybe the food preservation group would have a recipe? I will
> try there.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Here is a recipe I found online.
>>>
>>> http://www.recipezaar.com/Easy-Chilli-Beans-12896
>>>
>>> The differences I can see between this and the canned chili beans are
>>> that they seem to use small red beans and not kidney, there are no
>>> chopped onions or tomatoes in them. They might use onion powder. Not
>>> sure. I have looked up the ingredients of the canned ones online
>>> and see that there is wheat flour in them, but they don't list what
>>> spices they use. I also don't know what the golden syrup is. Could
>>> I sub Splenda for it?
>>> Thanks!

>> What about a chile con carne? Nix the ground beef. I'd personally use
>> crushed, canned tomatoes. I used to love chile con carne over large
>> baked potatoes with a dollop of sour cream. The baked potatoes you buy in
>> the mall food courts etc. Its also what I put over corn chips for the
>> kids for "nachos" sometimes.
>>
>> http://www.abc.net.au/wa/stories/s394378.htm This one has brown sugar,
>> isn't there a brown sugar diet stuff in the US? Golden syrup is just like
>> honey but a bit thicker and a stronger flavour. A liquid glucose type
>> thing.

> My chili con carne that I make and I have several different recipes
> doesn't taste or smell anything like canned chili beans. When I made that
> meat last night, it had that same smell. As for fake brown sugar, I don't
> know. I thought it was available in Canada but not here. But I guess I
> could look again.

Splenda has brown sugar.
Jacquie

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

> I know how to cook black beans. This is chili beans that I want a recipe
> for. It's not actual chili but just beans in sauce. I did find one recipe
> online for them but it calls for golden syrup. I think that's a British
> thing and most likely high in carbs.

Julie,

Look for recipes for beans ala charro, charro or charra beans, frijoles
ala charro, etc.

I think this is the type of recipe you are looking for. It's usually
pinto or red beans in a kind of chili-flavored gravy/sauce.

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
> Do you mean like the Ranch Style Bean flavor?

No. I don't like those. These are just called chili beans. Maybe they're
not available everywhere? We could get them in KS and I can get them here.
Not sure I have seen them anywhere else.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 08:03:37 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>My chili con carne that I make and I have several different recipes
>>doesn't
>>taste or smell anything like canned chili beans. When I made that meat
>>last
>>night, it had that same smell. As for fake brown sugar, I don't know. I
>>thought it was available in Canada but not here. But I guess I could look
>>again.
>>

> A Da Vinci syrup or similar would sub for the Golden Syrup. The Golden
> is thicker and gloopier, but less sweet, so you'd need less.

Hmmm... Don't have any diet syrups. Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
> Splenda has brown sugar.

Okay, thanks! I will look for it. I haven't bought any Splenda yet this
year.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I know how to cook black beans. This is chili beans that I want a recipe
>> for. It's not actual chili but just beans in sauce. I did find one
>> recipe online for them but it calls for golden syrup. I think that's a
>> British thing and most likely high in carbs.

> Julie,
>
> Look for recipes for beans ala charro, charro or charra beans, frijoles
> ala charro, etc.
>
> I think this is the type of recipe you are looking for. It's usually pinto
> or red beans in a kind of chili-flavored gravy/sauce.

Okay. Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> [...]

> > ingredients and simmer for another hour, or until beans are soft and a
> > broth has formed.
> >
> > Serve beans with a slotted spoon for a side dish. Or, serve in a bowl
> > with the broth and add in some cooked, cubed chicken and some salsa for
> > a main dish.
> >
> > --
> > Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> > families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> > Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> > Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

> I know how to cook black beans. This is chili beans that I want a recipe
> for. It's not actual chili but just beans in sauce. I did find one
> recipe online for them but it calls for golden syrup. I think that's a
> British thing and most likely high in carbs.

At the beginning of the recipe, I listed Ingredients for
Chili Beans:

> 1 pot Simmered Black Beans

> 2 Tbs canola oil
> 1 onion, finely chopped
> 4 large garlic cloves, minced
> 3 Tbs mild ground chili (or use hot, or use more)
> 1 Tbs lightly toasted cumin seeds, ground
> 1 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes, with juice
> 2 Tbs tomato paste dissolved in 1 cup water
> 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, seeded and chopped
> 1 tsp dried oregano, preferably Mexican oregano
> Salt, preferably kosher salt, to taste

> 1/2 cup chopped cilantro

In addition to chopped tomatoes and tomato paste, the list contains herbs,
spices, chili powder and Chipotle chiles. Sounds like a sauce to me. ;-)

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 08:03:37 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> My chili con carne that I make and I have several different recipes
>>> doesn't
>>> taste or smell anything like canned chili beans. When I made that meat
>>> last
>>> night, it had that same smell. As for fake brown sugar, I don't know. I
>>> thought it was available in Canada but not here. But I guess I could look
>>> again.
>>>

>> A Da Vinci syrup or similar would sub for the Golden Syrup. The Golden
>> is thicker and gloopier, but less sweet, so you'd need less.

> Hmmm... Don't have any diet syrups. Thanks!

Mix equal parts Splenda and water. I use that whenever a recipe calls
for simple syrup or corn syrup.

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>>> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 08:03:37 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> A Da Vinci syrup or similar would sub for the Golden Syrup. The Golden
>>> is thicker and gloopier, but less sweet, so you'd need less.

>> Hmmm... Don't have any diet syrups. Thanks!

> Mix equal parts Splenda and water. I use that whenever a recipe calls for
> simple syrup or corn syrup.

Thanks!

Chili hot beans Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 6 19-09-2010 05:45 PM
dinner 1-1-10 Chili with Beans sf[_9_] General Cooking 37 06-03-2010 12:40 AM
Chili beans Julie Bove Preserving 20 26-04-2009 05:47 AM
chili beans recipe gfulton Preserving 0 27-09-2007 03:53 PM
Chili Beans with or w/o juice? Frank A. Chris Dohrmann General Cooking 8 12-02-2004 12:48 AM