Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Chili beans

I love the canned chili beans you can buy in a store. But they are too high
in carbs due to the sugar. I would like to make some at home, perhaps using
Splenda as a sweetener. I probably wouldn't actually can them because all I
have is the boiling water bath. But I could freeze the extras.

Does anyone have a recipe? I have only found one and it uses both chopped
onions, chopped tomatoes and golden syrup. So it doesn't seem like the end
result would be like the canned beans.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Julie Bove wrote:
> I love the canned chili beans you can buy in a store. But they are too high
> in carbs due to the sugar. I would like to make some at home, perhaps using
> Splenda as a sweetener. I probably wouldn't actually can them because all I
> have is the boiling water bath. But I could freeze the extras.
>
> Does anyone have a recipe? I have only found one and it uses both chopped
> onions, chopped tomatoes and golden syrup. So it doesn't seem like the end
> result would be like the canned beans.
>
> Thanks!

If you can find a recipe for the beans using sugar you can substitute
Splenda teaspoon for teaspoon. I don't know about golden syrup, haven't
even seen any since we came home from the Middle East twenty-three years
ago.

Another suggestion would be to blend in your ingredients in small
batches until you get the taste you want then go for larger amounts.
Freezing would be your only option if you don't have a pressure canner.

HTH.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> I love the canned chili beans you can buy in a store. But they are too
>> high in carbs due to the sugar. I would like to make some at home,
>> perhaps using Splenda as a sweetener. I probably wouldn't actually can
>> them because all I have is the boiling water bath. But I could freeze
>> the extras.
>>
>> Does anyone have a recipe? I have only found one and it uses both
>> chopped onions, chopped tomatoes and golden syrup. So it doesn't seem
>> like the end result would be like the canned beans.
>>
>> Thanks!

> If you can find a recipe for the beans using sugar you can substitute
> Splenda teaspoon for teaspoon. I don't know about golden syrup, haven't
> even seen any since we came home from the Middle East twenty-three years
> ago.
>
> Another suggestion would be to blend in your ingredients in small batches
> until you get the taste you want then go for larger amounts. Freezing
> would be your only option if you don't have a pressure canner.

Thing is, I have no clue what spices to use. I asked on another group and
people have given me recipes for black beans or chili con carne. Neither
have this same taste as the canned chili beans. And when I look at the
commercial product it just lists "spices". There is a very distinctive
aroma to these beans. Last night we had Tyson Beef Brisket with mild chili
sauce and it tasted and smelled just like them.

Hmmm... I wonder if it would work to make a chili sauce recipe and add the
beans?

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Well, chili can be made several ways with red kidney beans or white pinto
beans (which are used in brown beans)

But if you get a can of chili style pinto and kidney beans with chili
spices and peppers and onions made by heitz and sold in canada and
usa...http://www.heinzbeans.ca/english/hei...s.htm#5website :
and here incanda you can get golden syrup and its sold in the suger section
or in the backing or with the maple syrup section of your food store...You
can get chili recipes and I use a recipe Ive modified from a basic one which
I add raw ginger and mexican chili power and onions and green yellow and
red peppers and also add the other spicy peppers as well sometimes depending
how I want it and put it in big yourgert tubs to frezon...I haven'tyethad my
morning coffee and still sleepy LOL buy do a web search for chili if you
want a diabetc reduced one..(Ihaven'ttried any and I don't use sugar in
mine.)...you can add anything you like to sweeten up your chili and some use
comercial bbq sauce mixed with chili spices etc...

you have to find and make your own recipe and start with a basic one and
write it down on the computer...Hope this helps ..

Brock Bailey

Victoria BC Canada

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I love the canned chili beans you can buy in a store. But they are too
>high in carbs due to the sugar. I would like to make some at home, perhaps
>using Splenda as a sweetener. I probably wouldn't actually can them
>because all I have is the boiling water bath. But I could freeze the
>extras.
>
> Does anyone have a recipe? I have only found one and it uses both chopped
> onions, chopped tomatoes and golden syrup. So it doesn't seem like the
> end result would be like the canned beans.
>
> Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Julie Bove wrote:
> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I love the canned chili beans you can buy in a store. But they are too
>>> high in carbs due to the sugar. I would like to make some at home,
>>> perhaps using Splenda as a sweetener. I probably wouldn't actually can
>>> them because all I have is the boiling water bath. But I could freeze
>>> the extras.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a recipe? I have only found one and it uses both
>>> chopped onions, chopped tomatoes and golden syrup. So it doesn't seem
>>> like the end result would be like the canned beans.
>>>
>>> Thanks!

>> If you can find a recipe for the beans using sugar you can substitute
>> Splenda teaspoon for teaspoon. I don't know about golden syrup, haven't
>> even seen any since we came home from the Middle East twenty-three years
>> ago.
>>
>> Another suggestion would be to blend in your ingredients in small batches
>> until you get the taste you want then go for larger amounts. Freezing
>> would be your only option if you don't have a pressure canner.

> Thing is, I have no clue what spices to use. I asked on another group and
> people have given me recipes for black beans or chili con carne. Neither
> have this same taste as the canned chili beans. And when I look at the
> commercial product it just lists "spices". There is a very distinctive
> aroma to these beans. Last night we had Tyson Beef Brisket with mild chili
> sauce and it tasted and smelled just like them.
>
> Hmmm... I wonder if it would work to make a chili sauce recipe and add the
> beans?

IMHO most of the canned chili beans I've eaten have just basic chili
powder in them. Get some Gebhardt's chili powder and mix it to your
taste. Another brand might work but I'm fond of Gebhardt's myself. <G>
If you want it spicier chop up a decapped, deseeded, jalapeno in there.

The chili beans I eat don't have a tomato sauce in them and that's what
is in chili sauce. What you're tasting and smelling is probably the
chili powder.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I love the canned chili beans you can buy in a store. But they are too
>high in carbs due to the sugar. I would like to make some at home, perhaps
>using Splenda as a sweetener. I probably wouldn't actually can them
>because all I have is the boiling water bath. But I could freeze the
>extras.
>
> Does anyone have a recipe? I have only found one and it uses both chopped
> onions, chopped tomatoes and golden syrup. So it doesn't seem like the
> end result would be like the canned beans.
>
> Thanks!

I think there is a website someplace with the secret recipes of things -
like the 11 secret spices for Kentucky Fried. Google around for secret
recipe and commercial food names. Don't forget the cumin. I love that
stuff - it's what makes Mexican food taste "Mexican." And things like a
little allspice and/or cinnamon and maybe a touch of nutmeg.
I've pickled a lot with Splenda and I found that I don't necessarily want
measure for measure. And I needed less salt to balance. Probably something
about the atoms and such.
And you might consider the Splenda brown sugar mix. And do go to the
Splenda website - they might have a starting place for you.
Good luck - let us know how you do.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Julie Bove wrote:

> I love the canned chili beans you can buy in a store. But they are
> too high in carbs due to the sugar.

Well, they're also high carb because of the beans. You should be aware
that using a sugar substitute will lower the carb content somewhat, but
beans in and of themselves are a high carb food.

The flavor you're seeking: an overdose of cumin.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Brock Bailey" > wrote in message
> Well, chili can be made several ways with red kidney beans or white pinto
> beans (which are used in brown beans)
>

> But if you get a can of chili style pinto and kidney beans with chili
> spices and peppers and onions made by heitz and sold in canada and
> usa...http://www.heinzbeans.ca/english/hei...s.htm#5website :
> and here incanda you can get golden syrup and its sold in the suger
> section or in the backing or with the maple syrup section of your food
> store...You can get chili recipes and I use a recipe Ive modified from a
> basic one which I add raw ginger and mexican chili power and onions and
> green yellow and red peppers and also add the other spicy peppers as well
> sometimes depending how I want it and put it in big yourgert tubs to
> frezon...I haven'tyethad my morning coffee and still sleepy LOL buy do
> a web search for chili if you want a diabetc reduced one..(Ihaven'ttried
> any and I don't use sugar in mine.)...you can add anything you like to
> sweeten up your chili and some use comercial bbq sauce mixed with chili
> spices etc...
>
> you have to find and make your own recipe and start with a basic one and
> write it down on the computer...Hope this helps ..
>
> Brock Bailey
>
> Victoria BC Canada

Okay. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> If you can find a recipe for the beans using sugar you can substitute
>>> Splenda teaspoon for teaspoon. I don't know about golden syrup, haven't
>>> even seen any since we came home from the Middle East twenty-three years
>>> ago.
>>>
>>> Another suggestion would be to blend in your ingredients in small
>>> batches until you get the taste you want then go for larger amounts.
>>> Freezing would be your only option if you don't have a pressure canner.

>> Thing is, I have no clue what spices to use. I asked on another group
>> and people have given me recipes for black beans or chili con carne.
>> Neither have this same taste as the canned chili beans. And when I look
>> at the commercial product it just lists "spices". There is a very
>> distinctive aroma to these beans. Last night we had Tyson Beef Brisket
>> with mild chili sauce and it tasted and smelled just like them.
>>
>> Hmmm... I wonder if it would work to make a chili sauce recipe and add
>> the beans?

> IMHO most of the canned chili beans I've eaten have just basic chili
> powder in them. Get some Gebhardt's chili powder and mix it to your taste.
> Another brand might work but I'm fond of Gebhardt's myself. <G> If you
> want it spicier chop up a decapped, deseeded, jalapeno in there.
>
> The chili beans I eat don't have a tomato sauce in them and that's what is
> in chili sauce. What you're tasting and smelling is probably the chili
> powder.

I don't think we have that brand of chili powder here, and to me the sauce
doesn't smell like that. I am starting to think that the beans I get here
that are labeled chili beans are something that is not widely available in
other areas. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>I love the canned chili beans you can buy in a store. But they are too
>>high in carbs due to the sugar. I would like to make some at home,
>>perhaps using Splenda as a sweetener. I probably wouldn't actually can
>>them because all I have is the boiling water bath. But I could freeze the
>>extras.
>>
>> Does anyone have a recipe? I have only found one and it uses both
>> chopped onions, chopped tomatoes and golden syrup. So it doesn't seem
>> like the end result would be like the canned beans.
>>
>> Thanks!

> I think there is a website someplace with the secret recipes of things -
> like the 11 secret spices for Kentucky Fried. Google around for secret
> recipe and commercial food names. Don't forget the cumin. I love that
> stuff - it's what makes Mexican food taste "Mexican." And things like a
> little allspice and/or cinnamon and maybe a touch of nutmeg.
> I've pickled a lot with Splenda and I found that I don't necessarily want
> measure for measure. And I needed less salt to balance. Probably something
> about the atoms and such.
> And you might consider the Splenda brown sugar mix. And do go to the
> Splenda website - they might have a starting place for you.
> Good luck - let us know how you do.
> Edrena

Oooh! I have seen that website. Probably have the link for it somewhere on
my computer. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
m...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I love the canned chili beans you can buy in a store. But they are
>> too high in carbs due to the sugar.

> Well, they're also high carb because of the beans. You should be aware
> that using a sugar substitute will lower the carb content somewhat, but
> beans in and of themselves are a high carb food.
>
> The flavor you're seeking: an overdose of cumin.

Yes, I know beans are high in carbs but I tend to use them as my source of
protein and carbs in my meal and this works well for me. Unless of course
they are in a really sweet sauce. Cumin. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> >> I love the canned chili beans you can buy in a store. But they are
> >> too high in carbs due to the sugar. I would like to make some at
> >> home, perhaps using Splenda as a sweetener. I probably wouldn't
> >> actually can them because all I have is the boiling water bath. But I
> >> could freeze the extras.
> >>
> >> Does anyone have a recipe? I have only found one and it uses both
> >> chopped onions, chopped tomatoes and golden syrup. So it doesn't seem
> >> like the end result would be like the canned beans.
> >>
> >> Thanks!

> > If you can find a recipe for the beans using sugar you can substitute
> > Splenda teaspoon for teaspoon. I don't know about golden syrup, haven't
> > even seen any since we came home from the Middle East twenty-three
> > years ago.
> >
> > Another suggestion would be to blend in your ingredients in small
> > batches until you get the taste you want then go for larger amounts.
> > Freezing would be your only option if you don't have a pressure canner.

> Thing is, I have no clue what spices to use. I asked on another group
> and people have given me recipes for black beans or chili con carne.
> [ . . . ]

I replied on said "another group", with a recipe for the sauce part of
Chili Beans. You don't mention it. Did you see it? Obviously, you could use
any kind of bean(s) you like.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>> > If you can find a recipe for the beans using sugar you can substitute
>> > Splenda teaspoon for teaspoon. I don't know about golden syrup, haven't
>> > even seen any since we came home from the Middle East twenty-three
>> > years ago.
>> >
>> > Another suggestion would be to blend in your ingredients in small
>> > batches until you get the taste you want then go for larger amounts.
>> > Freezing would be your only option if you don't have a pressure canner.

>> Thing is, I have no clue what spices to use. I asked on another group
>> and people have given me recipes for black beans or chili con carne.
>> [ . . . ]

> I replied on said "another group", with a recipe for the sauce part of
> Chili Beans. You don't mention it. Did you see it? Obviously, you could
> use
> any kind of bean(s) you like.

I did reply, but that didn't sound like what I was looking for. Maybe my
reply didn't send? I have had trouble with motzarella.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> >> [ . . . ]
> >> Thing is, I have no clue what spices to use. I asked on another group
> >> and people have given me recipes for black beans or chili con carne.
> >> [ . . . ]

> > I replied on said "another group", with a recipe for the sauce part of
> > Chili Beans. You don't mention it. Did you see it? Obviously, you could
> > use
> > any kind of bean(s) you like.

> I did reply, but that didn't sound like what I was looking for. Maybe my
> reply didn't send? I have had trouble with motzarella.

I saw it.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
m...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I love the canned chili beans you can buy in a store. But they are
>> too high in carbs due to the sugar.

> Well, they're also high carb because of the beans. You should be aware
> that using a sugar substitute will lower the carb content somewhat, but
> beans in and of themselves are a high carb food.
>
> The flavor you're seeking: an overdose of cumin.
>
> B/

I wouldn't call it a overdose. but cumin is what gives chili beans that
flavor

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> m...
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> I love the canned chili beans you can buy in a store. But they
>>> are too high in carbs due to the sugar.

>> Well, they're also high carb because of the beans. You should be
>> aware that using a sugar substitute will lower the carb content
>> somewhat, but beans in and of themselves are a high carb food.
>>
>> The flavor you're seeking: an overdose of cumin.

> Yes, I know beans are high in carbs but I tend to use them as my
> source of protein and carbs in my meal and this works well for me.
> Unless of course they are in a really sweet sauce.

Well, it's a bit confusing what you're saying about cutting carbs, then.
If that is the case, you might want to add noncarb ingredients such as
chunks of vegetables. Since you're going to freeze it, anyway.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Mike wrote:
> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> m...
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> I love the canned chili beans you can buy in a store. But they
>>> are too high in carbs due to the sugar.

>> Well, they're also high carb because of the beans. You should be
>> aware that using a sugar substitute will lower the carb content
>> somewhat, but beans in and of themselves are a high carb food.
>>
>> The flavor you're seeking: an overdose of cumin.

> I wouldn't call it a overdose. but cumin is what gives chili beans
> that flavor

I called it an overdose because to my mind that's what it is. She's not
talking about "chili beans" but "_canned_ chili beans." "Mexican"
canned products have a flavor that's impossible to duplicate,* but an
overbalance of cumin is part of it. I was being nice when I wrote that
originally and deleted the part about "be sure to buy the cheapest brand
you can get, pre-ground, and let it sit open to the air in a sunny place
for 3 months before you use it."

*it's the same flavor in canned tamales and other products. Please note
that I'm simply describing the flavor and not condemning commercially
canned products.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Brian Mailman wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
>> m...

>>> Well, they're also high carb because of the beans. You should be
>>> aware that using a sugar substitute will lower the carb content
>>> somewhat, but beans in and of themselves are a high carb food.
>>>
>>> The flavor you're seeking: an overdose of cumin.

>> Yes, I know beans are high in carbs but I tend to use them as my
>> source of protein and carbs in my meal and this works well for me.
>> Unless of course they are in a really sweet sauce.

> Well, it's a bit confusing what you're saying about cutting carbs, then.
> If that is the case, you might want to add noncarb ingredients such as
> chunks of vegetables. Since you're going to freeze it, anyway.
>
> B/

Other vegetables also have carbohydrates, just not as many
Ellen
Posted to rec.food.preserving

ellen wickberg wrote:
> Brian Mailman wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
>>> m...

>>> Yes, I know beans are high in carbs but I tend to use them as my
>>> source of protein and carbs in my meal and this works well for
>>> me. Unless of course they are in a really sweet sauce.

>> Well, it's a bit confusing what you're saying about cutting carbs,
>> then. If that is the case, you might want to add noncarb
>> ingredients such as chunks of vegetables. Since you're going to
>> freeze it, anyway.
>>

> Other vegetables also have carbohydrates, just not as many

That was the point, yeah, to "dilute" the carb count of 100% beans. OK,
I misstyped when I wrote "noncarb." I was thinking of ones like celery,
which only has maybe 3g per 100g serving.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> ellen wickberg wrote:
>> Brian Mailman wrote:

>>> Well, it's a bit confusing what you're saying about cutting carbs,
>>> then. If that is the case, you might want to add noncarb
>>> ingredients such as chunks of vegetables. Since you're going to
>>> freeze it, anyway.
>>>

>> Other vegetables also have carbohydrates, just not as many

> That was the point, yeah, to "dilute" the carb count of 100% beans. OK, I
> misstyped when I wrote "noncarb." I was thinking of ones like celery,
> which only has maybe 3g per 100g serving.

When I make "refried" beans, I add a lot of onions, peppers and sometimes
celery. I don't actually fry them but add a bit of olive oil and mash with
a potato masher. They taste just fine.

Chili hot beans Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 6 19-09-2010 05:45 PM
dinner 1-1-10 Chili with Beans sf[_9_] General Cooking 37 06-03-2010 12:40 AM
Chili beans Julie Bove Diabetic 21 23-04-2009 11:03 PM
chili beans recipe gfulton Preserving 0 27-09-2007 03:53 PM
Chili Beans with or w/o juice? Frank A. Chris Dohrmann General Cooking 8 12-02-2004 12:48 AM