PENMART01

Default Beans in Chili Not Soft

"dr owl" wrote:

>We made a large pot of chili con carne

We, what's this *We*... doncha know too mnay cooks spoil the chili...

>( Soaked red kidney beans overnight. Cooked 1 and a
>> half hrs per package instructions.

Screw directions, cook until done. Older beans may require slightly longer
cooking times but not so much longer that you'd notice... dried beans do not
lose any nutritional value regardless how long they're stored, even if stored
for thousands of years. The major determining factors governing length of
cooking times for dried beans is type of bean and cooking method... bean age
may add a few minutes cooking time, and perhaps no extra time depending on how
stored and moisture content.

>Added to ingredients and simmered 1/2 hr per cookbook.

Mistake number ten, you used a fercocktah cookbook to make chili...
NEVER use a cookbook to make chili.

>The beans are not cooked well and are crunchy. Is
>there anything we can do at this point to rescue the
>beans and save this?

Do you have a dog?

Next time be sure beans are fully cooked before adding to anything.
NEVER cook beans in the chili... cook beans in their own liquid... those beans
meant for adding to chili should not be seasoned during cooking. Actually
canned beans are best for adding to chili.... if feeding a crowd you should
seriously consider serving the beans separately.

To learn more about beans go he http://www.americanbean.org

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon