Senior grocery discounts?

Old 05-04-2013, 10:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Senior grocery discounts?

On 4/5/13 12:16 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

"Participating chains include...Publix."

"...does not include stores in Florida..."

which is more than 90% of their stores.

-- Larry

Old 06-04-2013, 12:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Silvar Beitel wrote:
A blurb in the April 2013 AARP Bulletin:

"Many supermarkets offer discounts - typically 5 to 10 percent off
your grocery tab - for customers 55-plus who shop on a specific day of
the week, often Tuesday or Wednesday. Promotions vary, so ask ahead.
Participating chains include Albertson's, Bashas', HI-LO, Food Lion,
Fred Meyer, Fry's, Hy-Vee, Kroger, Meijer, Pathmark, Piggly Wiggly and
Publix."

Never heard of that before. (None of those stores are around here
(MA/ NH border), and none of the stores that *are* around here have a
senior discount. (I think, but I'll ask next time!) )

I've never heard of it either. I have not seen anything posted at Fred
Meyer or Albertsons. Some places give a military discount. I think Rite
Aid does a senior discount on one day of the week. I know of a local
nursery that gives a senior discount and also a cash discount.

I am registered with Albertsons. Lemme go to their website and see...
Hmmm... Does not say anything there. Lemme Swagbuck it. This is very old
info but it looks like in Carlsbad CA, on the first Wed. of the month, there
is a 10% senior discount.

http://thecarlsbaddispatch.com/view_...332&forum_id=1

I just called my mom who is a senior. She didn't remember at first but then
said that Fred Meyer does do one but it's only on one day of the week and
she never asked for it. Does not know about an Alberstons one.

Do any of you geezers get a senior discount where you shop?

Old 06-04-2013, 01:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:
"Silvar Beitel" wrote in message
A blurb in the April 2013 AARP Bulletin:

"Many supermarkets offer discounts - typically 5 to 10 percent off
your grocery tab - for customers 55-plus who shop on a specific day
of the week, often Tuesday or Wednesday. Promotions vary, so ask
ahead. Participating chains include Albertson's, Bashas', HI-LO,
Food Lion, Fred Meyer, Fry's, Hy-Vee, Kroger, Meijer, Pathmark,
Piggly Wiggly and Publix."

Never heard of that before. (None of those stores are around here
(MA/ NH border), and none of the stores that *are* around here have a
senior discount. (I think, but I'll ask next time!) )

Do any of you geezers get a senior discount where you shop?

Judging by the size of the shopping baskets that I've seen many
seniors take to the checkout, a discount will not make much
difference to their tab. It's the young families who are struggling
to get by that need the help. Graham (69)

Part of the problem there is that some seniors just don't have the money to
buy much. And yet they are not low income enough to qualify for any
assistance. Also some seniors get confused by things like coupons so don't
bother to even try to use them. Then again to those same people a senior
discount might confuse them as well. Or they may forget to ask for it. A
restaurant that we dine at used to give a senior discount automatically.
Which is odd to me because they already have a discounted senior menu. But
if you have a senior dining with you, they will discount the entire table.
But then they stopped doing it. When my SIL asked why, she was told that
you need to ask for it. But the senior I dine with always forgets to ask
for it.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly Esther wrote:
We received a senior discount on our auto insurance. $ 1.60. We're
thinking they didn't want us to get too excited in our condition. Polly

Hehehehe.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

--
Silvar Beitel

George qualifies for the senior rate at Kroger, they take 10% off, but
it is not good on liquor, beer, cigarettes or prescription drugs. At our
store, it is good every day, but that may not be true in every state, or
in every store.

Becca
Old 06-04-2013, 05:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/5/2013 12:20 PM, sf wrote:

Here's another list for you that was compiled in 2012
http://www.bradsdeals.com/blog/senior-discounts/

It's funny how these different establishments define "senior". I was
old enough to join AARP at 50. Now I have to wait until 55 or even 60 to
get these discounts?

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 5, 11:37*am, Silvar Beitel wrote:
A blurb in the April 2013 AARP Bulletin:

"Many supermarkets offer discounts - typically 5 to 10 percent off
your grocery tab - for customers 55-plus who shop on a specific day of
the week, often Tuesday or Wednesday. *Promotions vary, so ask ahead.
Participating chains include Albertson's, Bashas', HI-LO, Food Lion,
Fred Meyer, Fry's, Hy-Vee, Kroger, Meijer, Pathmark, Piggly Wiggly and
Publix."

Never heard of that before. *(None of those stores are around here (MA/
NH border), and none of the stores that *are* around here have a
senior discount. *(I think, but I'll ask next time!) )

Do any of you geezers get a senior discount where you shop?

--
Silvar Beitel

I've never heard of a 55+ here being considered as a senior when it
comes to discounts at stores. I asked once, and was told it's 60 and
up.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 00:19:14 -0400, Cheryl
wrote:

On 4/5/2013 12:20 PM, sf wrote:

Here's another list for you that was compiled in 2012
http://www.bradsdeals.com/blog/senior-discounts/

It's funny how these different establishments define "senior". I was
old enough to join AARP at 50. Now I have to wait until 55 or even 60 to
get these discounts?

Even worse, we have to wait until 65 to draw full social security.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 5, 10:37*am, Silvar Beitel wrote:

A blurb in the April 2013 AARP Bulletin:

"Many supermarkets offer discounts - typically 5 to 10 percent off
your grocery tab - for customers 55-plus who shop on a specific day of
the week, often Tuesday or Wednesday. *Promotions vary, so ask ahead.
Participating chains include Albertson's, Bashas', HI-LO, Food Lion,
Fred Meyer, Fry's, Hy-Vee, Kroger, Meijer, Pathmark, Piggly Wiggly and
Publix."

Never heard of that before. *(None of those stores are around here (MA/
NH border), and none of the stores that *are* around here have a
senior discount. *(I think, but I'll ask next time!) )

Do any of you geezers get a senior discount where you shop?

Silvar Beitel

Kroger, here, does a 10% senior discount the first Wednesday of each
month.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 4/5/2013 12:20 PM, sf wrote:

Here's another list for you that was compiled in 2012
http://www.bradsdeals.com/blog/senior-discounts/

It's funny how these different establishments define "senior". I was old
enough to join AARP at 50. Now I have to wait until 55 or even 60 to get
these discounts?

But don't try to apply for your Social Security!

Old 06-04-2013, 06:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:
[...]

Denny's considers 55 to be a senior.

I'll never forget the first time my mom was offered a senior discount. It
wasn't there but another place. My coworker's son was working there. My
mom got all bent out of shape about it. Turns out that she was beyond the
age of getting the discount but she was still bent out of shape. And
wouldn't you know that my coworker's son was the one that offered the
discount. I felt bad for him. You don't want to tangle with my mom.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Other Guy" wrote in message
On Fri, 5 Apr 2013 22:44:28 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

I'll never forget the first time my mom was offered a senior discount. It
wasn't there but another place. My coworker's son was working there. My
mom got all bent out of shape about it. Turns out that she was beyond
the
age of getting the discount but she was still bent out of shape. And
wouldn't you know that my coworker's son was the one that offered the
discount. I felt bad for him. You don't want to tangle with my mom.

Vanity can be amazingly stupid.

I'll take ANY discount I'm offered, and if I qualify for one,
and am NOT offered it, I'll ask for it.

You and me both!

Old 06-04-2013, 11:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" wrote in message
On Fri, 5 Apr 2013 12:53:00 -0500, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

We received a senior discount on our auto insurance. $ 1.60. We're
thinking they didn't want us to get too excited in our condition. Polly

Oh, man Polly... you're always good for a laugh! Are you absolutely
positive you weren't in vaudeville?

The $ 1.60 is the awful truth. I carefully filed the insurance statement
away with our important papers. Wouldn't want to lose that one. Polly

Old 06-04-2013, 12:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 23:23:47 -0700, The Other Guy
wrote:

I'll take ANY discount I'm offered, and if I qualify for one,
and am NOT offered it, I'll ask for it.

Absolutely.
McDonalds has any size coffee for $1. I'd get a small no matter what
the price, but I can get a senior coffee for 79˘, so why not keep the
21˘ in my pocket?
Old 06-04-2013, 01:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On 4/5/2013 12:20 PM, sf wrote:

Here's another list for you that was compiled in 2012
http://www.bradsdeals.com/blog/senior-discounts/

It's funny how these different establishments define "senior". I was
old enough to join AARP at 50. Now I have to wait until 55 or even 60 to
get these discounts?

Even worse, we have to wait until 65 to draw full social security.

You must be older than me. After a birth date of 1937 is it climbing
steadily. 1943 to 1954 group had to wait to 66. Born 1960 or later
it is 67.