Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Senior grocery discounts?

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message

> If you wait too long you may collect nothing, or very little.
> Mathematically it works out that most people collect substantially
> more SS when they retire at the earliest age that they can collect. If
> you're still in debt SS will never get you out of debt. The thing is
> SS was never meant to be a pension, you can't live on SS alone, if
> that's your only income/asset you'll need to avail yourself of every
> government handout possible and you still won't live much better than
> in a box under a bridge. I retired early, at age 60, I've been able
> to do a lot more than most people I know who worked till 65 and older,
> and retiring younger means less stress so one's health deteriorates
> less. I'll be 70 next month, most everyone my age I knew at age 60 is
> gone and of the few who are still alive most are seriously infirm/in
> nursing homes. My advice to anyone who plans on retirement is to
> retire as soon as possible... I've seen people's health deteriorate
> very rapidly, one day they are fine, a month later a funeral. And
> then there are those who are ascared of retirement, they die on the
> job... they plan to retire, some day.. they are very
> irrational/unrealistic. During the past five years several of the
> people my age I knew had to battle cancer, none won. Remember, no one
> gets out alive.

I second all of that!

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 6, 7:01*am, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 22:12:47 -0700, sf > wrote:
> >On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 00:19:14 -0400, Cheryl >
> >wrote:

> >> It's funny how these different establishments define "senior". *I was
> >> old enough to join AARP at 50. Now I have to wait until 55 or even 60 to
> >> get these discounts? *

> >Even worse, we have to wait until 65 to draw full social security. *

> You must be older than me. After a birth date of 1937 is it climbing
> steadily. *1943 to 1954 group had to wait to 66. *Born 1960 or later
> it is 67.

I was born in 42, but the longer you wait to collect, up to a point -
age 70 I think - the more you get. I started to collect at 70, or my
benefit would have decreased after that, but worked until I was 72.
The best of both worlds.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 6, 10:07*am, sf > wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 08:01:16 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> > On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 22:12:47 -0700, sf > wrote:

> > >Even worse, we have to wait until 65 to draw full social security. *

> > You must be older than me. After a birth date of 1937 is it climbing
> > steadily. *1943 to 1954 group had to wait to 66. *Born 1960 or later
> > it is 67.

> Ooops. *Maybe it's Medicare then. *I dunno. *Don't draw, don't care
> when I qualify. *Not a taker.
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

You should say yes to Medicare regardless, or your health insurance
cost will be astronomical. Everyone gets Medicare A whether they want
it or not...it's hospitalization only. Then you can decide whether
you want any other parts. Of course,if you have some kind of health
care benefit within a retirement plan, you may not need Medicare B or
any other part. Medicaid is different ... It's for those who cannot
pay at all.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/6/2013 8:01 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 22:12:47 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 00:19:14 -0400, Cheryl >
>> wrote:

>>> It's funny how these different establishments define "senior". I was
>>> old enough to join AARP at 50. Now I have to wait until 55 or even 60 to
>>> get these discounts?

>> Even worse, we have to wait until 65 to draw full social security.

> You must be older than me. After a birth date of 1937 is it climbing
> steadily. 1943 to 1954 group had to wait to 66. Born 1960 or later
> it is 67.

I think I've heard it might even be raised higher than 67. I'm in that
age range (1962).

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/6/2013 11:46 AM, MaryL wrote:

> I have a Kroger card, and that does provide a discount--but only for
> Kroger brand products or items that are on their targeted list. In my
> case, this sometimes means only a few cents but will be several dollars
> on other occasions. I also use the card for gasoline (10 cents
> reduction per gallon for every $100 spent in the store).

I use my Giant card for the same gas discounts. I don't drive as much as
I used to, now working from home during recovery. Those gas points
expire a month after you earn them, so I lose most of them these days.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 10:13:13 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>I was born in 1953.
>
>I can retire at 62 but the monthly payment would be a joke.
>My full retirement is age 66.
>Ultimate SS retirement for me is age 70.
>At that age I'll get the maximum per month and no penalty for working.
>
>I'm 3 months away from turning age 60.
>I still feel young (somewhat). Still feel good and I actually seem to be in
>better shape than many younger guys I work with. ??? I plan to work until
>age 70, at least.
>
>You never know though.... my health could go all to hell in the next 10
>years. Hopefully not.
>
>G.

You may still want to consider drawing at 66 though. Waiting until 70
gives you a bigger check, but you have to live to 84 to break even. If
your family history is a group or 100+ folks, then go for the bigger
check. No one in my family made it out of the 70's though.

You can still work and draw full payment at FRA with not penalty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In Virginia Kroger on Tuesdays 5% only stores here that do!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In Virginia Kroger on Tuesdays 5% only stores here that do!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 08:07:38 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 08:01:16 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 22:12:47 -0700, sf > wrote:

>> >Even worse, we have to wait until 65 to draw full social security.

>> You must be older than me. After a birth date of 1937 is it climbing
>> steadily. 1943 to 1954 group had to wait to 66. Born 1960 or later
>> it is 67.

>Ooops. Maybe it's Medicare then. I dunno. Don't draw, don't care
>when I qualify. Not a taker.

Please don't buy into the 47% taker fable. One way or another the
'taker' folks have paid for their benefits. If you are wealthy enough
to be able to fund your retirement and medical costs without
assistance, I'm very happy for you. For others, stuff happens.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Silvar Beitel" > wrote in message
>A blurb in the April 2013 AARP Bulletin:
>
> "Many supermarkets offer discounts - typically 5 to 10 percent off
> your grocery tab - for customers 55-plus who shop on a specific day of
> the week, often Tuesday or Wednesday. Promotions vary, so ask ahead.
> Participating chains include Albertson's, Bashas', HI-LO, Food Lion,
> Fred Meyer, Fry's, Hy-Vee, Kroger, Meijer, Pathmark, Piggly Wiggly and
> Publix."
>
> Never heard of that before. (None of those stores are around here (MA/
> NH border), and none of the stores that *are* around here have a
> senior discount. (I think, but I'll ask next time!) )
>
> Do any of you geezers get a senior discount where you shop?

A friend of mine, before he officially became a senior, would just say:
"Senile"!
He always got a discount.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 6, 1:48*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 08:07:38 -0700, sf > wrote:

> >> You must be older than me. After a birth date of 1937 is it climbing
> >> steadily. *1943 to 1954 group had to wait to 66. *Born 1960 or later
> >> it is 67.

> >Ooops. *Maybe it's Medicare then. *I dunno. *Don't draw, don't care
> >when I qualify. *Not a taker.

> Please don't buy into the 47% taker fable. *One way or another the
> 'taker' folks have paid for their benefits. *If you are wealthy enough
> to be able to fund your retirement and medical costs without
> assistance, I'm very happy for you. *For others, stuff happens.

My dad's grandmother collected even though she had never worked a job
after 1940. Lived to be 92, so 25 years of free money.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Apr 2013 17:05:50 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

>On Apr 6, 1:48*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:

>> >Ooops. *Maybe it's Medicare then. *I dunno. *Don't draw, don't care
>> >when I qualify. *Not a taker.

>> Please don't buy into the 47% taker fable. *One way or another the
>> 'taker' folks have paid for their benefits. *If you are wealthy enough
>> to be able to fund your retirement and medical costs without
>> assistance, I'm very happy for you. *For others, stuff happens.

>My dad's grandmother collected even though she had never worked a job
>after 1940. Lived to be 92, so 25 years of free money.

She did nothing to contribute to society? She wasn't a good citizen,
didn't raise good children, didn't work for her family, etc? Didn't
make do with her family earnings, live within her means? I bet she
would be surprised to find out she was such a lay-about.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'm going at 66 and I've looked at the tables for me to work until age
70. BIG check but I've given enough of my time to my job, it's time I
do things I want to do without having to work around my work schedule.

Fortunately I will have nice checks from the company pension plan,
social security, and 401K.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 7, 12:25*am, Cheryl > wrote:

> On 4/7/2013 12:48 AM, wrote:
>

> > I'm going at 66 and I've looked at the tables for me to work until age
> > 70. *BIG check but I've given enough of my time to my job, it's time I
> > do things I want to do without having to work around my work schedule.

> > Fortunately I will have nice checks from the company pension plan,
> > social security, and 401K.

> Good plan! *I put as much as I'm allowed to into my 401k and I had to
> roll over a 401K from my old company to an IRA when they got bought by
> the one I'm working for now. *I wish they would have let us roll the old
> 401k into the current one, but it wasn't an option. *No company pension,
> but they match our 401K contributions, so I guess that's the same thing
> these days.
>
> One good thing I recently got a notice about is that when I turned 50 I
> was allowed some sort of "catch up" that I didn't take advantage of.
> The company did it for me.

I'm putting 16% of my salary into the 401K and have been doing that
for many, many years; the company matches 6%. Great that you were
able to do the catch up and that the company did it for you. When
retirement rolls around you'll really appreciate that as the purpose
of retiring is not to go to work for Wal Mart to make ends meet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message

> "Silvar Beitel" > wrote in message
>>A blurb in the April 2013 AARP Bulletin:
>>
>> "Many supermarkets offer discounts - typically 5 to 10 percent off
>> your grocery tab - for customers 55-plus who shop on a specific day of
>> the week, often Tuesday or Wednesday. Promotions vary, so ask ahead.
>> Participating chains include Albertson's, Bashas', HI-LO, Food Lion,
>> Fred Meyer, Fry's, Hy-Vee, Kroger, Meijer, Pathmark, Piggly Wiggly and
>> Publix."
>>
>> Never heard of that before. (None of those stores are around here (MA/
>> NH border), and none of the stores that *are* around here have a
>> senior discount. (I think, but I'll ask next time!) )
>>
>> Do any of you geezers get a senior discount where you shop?

> A friend of mine, before he officially became a senior, would just say:
> "Senile"!
> He always got a discount.

The only place here I know about here that gives senior discounts is B&Q
(hardware) and we don't buy much from there. I don't know any grocery
stores that give any discounts.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 08:01:16 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 22:12:47 -0700, sf > wrote:

>> >Even worse, we have to wait until 65 to draw full social security.

>> You must be older than me. After a birth date of 1937 is it climbing
>> steadily. 1943 to 1954 group had to wait to 66. Born 1960 or later
>> it is 67.

> Ooops. Maybe it's Medicare then. I dunno. Don't draw, don't care
> when I qualify. Not a taker.

I thought it was required?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
says...

> On 4/5/2013 12:20 PM, sf wrote:
>
> > Here's another list for you that was compiled in 2012

http://www.bradsdeals.com/blog/senior-discounts/

> It's funny how these different establishments define "senior". I was
> old enough to join AARP at 50. Now I have to wait until 55 or even 60 to
> get these discounts?

It gets madder than that.

Our local supermarket has the following sign at every checkout

" It is an offence to sell alcohol to anyone under the age of 18.
Anyone appearing to be under the age of 25 will be asked for proof of
age and no sale of alcohol will be made until satisfactory evidence is
produced that the purchaser is 18 or over. "

I bought a bottle of wine the other day and the till operator (well
under 25) rang for assistance and said politely "I have to get a
supervisor to confirm when a customer looks over 25".

White hair is such a giveaway...

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> In article om>,
> says...
> >
> > On 4/5/2013 12:20 PM, sf wrote:
> >
> > > Here's another list for you that was compiled in 2012

http://www.bradsdeals.com/blog/senior-discounts/

> > It's funny how these different establishments define "senior". I was
> > old enough to join AARP at 50. Now I have to wait until 55 or even 60 to
> > get these discounts?

> It gets madder than that.
>
> Our local supermarket has the following sign at every checkout
>
> " It is an offence to sell alcohol to anyone under the age of 18.
> Anyone appearing to be under the age of 25 will be asked for proof of
> age and no sale of alcohol will be made until satisfactory evidence is
> produced that the purchaser is 18 or over. "
>
> I bought a bottle of wine the other day and the till operator (well
> under 25) rang for assistance and said politely "I have to get a
> supervisor to confirm when a customer looks over 25".
>
> White hair is such a giveaway...

LOL! I bought beer at a 7-11 store one day when I was about age 44. New
first day on the job clerk asked me for my ID. I said, "hahaha Good one!
You're kidding, right?" I really thought he *was* kidding.

Well he wasn't kidding, seemed offended that I said that, and insisted on my
ID.

So I showed him my ID and told him, "If you think I look that young, you
just made my day!" ;-D

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Janet wrote:
>>
>> In article om>,
>> says...

http://www.bradsdeals.com/blog/senior-discounts/

>> > It's funny how these different establishments define "senior". I was
>> > old enough to join AARP at 50. Now I have to wait until 55 or even 60
>> > get these discounts?

>> It gets madder than that.
>>
>> Our local supermarket has the following sign at every checkout
>>
>> " It is an offence to sell alcohol to anyone under the age of 18.
>> Anyone appearing to be under the age of 25 will be asked for proof of
>> age and no sale of alcohol will be made until satisfactory evidence is
>> produced that the purchaser is 18 or over. "
>>
>> I bought a bottle of wine the other day and the till operator (well
>> under 25) rang for assistance and said politely "I have to get a
>> supervisor to confirm when a customer looks over 25".
>>
>> White hair is such a giveaway...

> LOL! I bought beer at a 7-11 store one day when I was about age 44. New
> first day on the job clerk asked me for my ID. I said, "hahaha Good one!
> You're kidding, right?" I really thought he *was* kidding.
>
> Well he wasn't kidding, seemed offended that I said that, and insisted on
> my
> ID.
>
> So I showed him my ID and told him, "If you think I look that young, you
> just made my day!" ;-D

Heh that is what I usually say

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> You may still want to consider drawing at 66 though. Waiting until 70
> gives you a bigger check, but you have to live to 84 to break even. If
> your family history is a group or 100+ folks, then go for the bigger
> check. No one in my family made it out of the 70's though.

Thanks for your input, Ed. I haven't run the numbers yet....draw at 66,
invest all the SS money and continue to work until age 70 vs draw at 70 with
the larger monthly check but have that invested money from the last 4
years. My family history DOES mostly live into their 90's but that doesn't
mean I will.

I'll definitely wait until age 66 (full retirement). Once I approach age 66,
I'll see how I feel and make the decision at that time.

I have one question (and I didn't see this on the SS faq) -

Does your monthly income from SS go up each year that you hold off applying
for it? If I don't do the full retirement at age 66, but decide to do it
before age 70, would I get more for each year that I hold off?

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> Thanks for your input, Ed. I haven't run the numbers yet....draw at 66,
> invest all the SS money and continue to work until age 70 vs draw at 70 with
> the larger monthly check but have that invested money from the last 4
> years.

Oops. I stated that wrong..

If I wait until age 70 to "retire" I wouldn't have those 4 years of invested
SS checks but I would receive a larger check for life.

I'm looking at retire at 70 with larger monthly check and no investment
or
Retire at 66 with smaller monthly check but with the 4 years of invested
money.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 07:38:07 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>LOL! I bought beer at a 7-11 store one day when I was about age 44. New
>first day on the job clerk asked me for my ID. I said, "hahaha Good one!
>You're kidding, right?" I really thought he *was* kidding.
>
>Well he wasn't kidding, seemed offended that I said that, and insisted on my
>ID.
>
>So I showed him my ID and told him, "If you think I look that young, you
>just made my day!" ;-D
>
>G.

Some stores have gone overboard and ask everyone for an ID. That way
they cannot be accused of discrimination of any sort and takes away
the judgment factor for a semi-literate clerk.

Our supermarket has the computers programmed so that you cannot ring
up a beer purchase 10 minutes before 9 PM, the official last selling
time. It has to be paid for and out of the store by that time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 7, 2:40*am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message

> >> You must be older than me. After a birth date of 1937 is it climbing
> >> steadily. *1943 to 1954 group had to wait to 66. *Born 1960 or later
> >> it is 67.

> > Ooops. *Maybe it's Medicare then. *I dunno. *Don't draw, don't care
> > when I qualify. *Not a taker.

> I thought it was required?

It sort of is in that EVERYONE gets Medicare A, no matter what they
want. It is hospital cost only. Other parts of Medicare are
optional.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 7, 5:38*am, Janet > wrote:
> In article om>,
> says...
>

> > On 4/5/2013 12:20 PM, sf wrote:

> > > Here's another list for you that was compiled in 2012
> > >http://www.bradsdeals.com/blog/senior-discounts/

> > It's funny how these different establishments define "senior". *I was
> > old enough to join AARP at 50. Now I have to wait until 55 or even 60 to
> > get these discounts? *

> * It gets madder than that.
>
> * Our local supermarket has the following *sign at every checkout
>
> * " It is an offence to sell alcohol to anyone under the age of 18.
> Anyone appearing to be under the age of 25 will be asked for proof of
> age and no sale of alcohol will be made until satisfactory evidence is
> produced that the purchaser is 18 or over. "
>
> * I bought a bottle of wine the other day and the till operator (well
> under 25) rang for assistance and said politely "I have to get a
> supervisor to confirm *when a customer looks over 25".
>
> * White hair is such a giveaway...
>
> * Janet UK

LOL. Our supermarket cashiers are required to scan everyone's ID for
a liquor purchase, no matter how old they look. They should fix their
system so they don't have to scan it every time...just the first time,
and then it's in the data base, like they do if you write a check.
I'm 72, and have gray hair, and they scan mine.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 7, 7:02*am, Gary > wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
> > You may still want to consider drawing at 66 though. Waiting until 70
> > gives you a bigger check, but you have to live to 84 to break even. If
> > your family history is a group or 100+ folks, then go for the bigger
> > check. *No one in my family made it out of the 70's though.

> Thanks for your input, Ed. I haven't run the numbers yet....draw at 66,
> invest all the SS money and continue to work until age 70 vs draw at 70 with
> the larger monthly check but have that invested money from the last 4
> years. *My family history DOES mostly live into their 90's but that doesn't
> mean I will.
>
> I'll definitely wait until age 66 (full retirement). Once I approach age 66,
> I'll see how I feel and make the decision at that time.
>
> I have one question (and I didn't see this on the SS faq) -
>
> Does your monthly income from SS go up each year that you hold off applying
> for it? *If I don't do the full retirement at age 66, but decide to do it
> before age 70, would I get more for each year that I hold off?
>
> G.

Yes it does go up until age 70 ...that is as high as it will ever be.
After that, you may not draw as big a benefit, as was my case. The
lady said to start withdrawing when I turned 70, or it wouldn't be as
high. I don't know all the ins and outs. Our local SS office has
super people who try to explain how you can get the highest benefit
and will run various scenarios for you. I'm sure all the local
offices have the same kind of staff.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 08:02:51 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>I have one question (and I didn't see this on the SS faq) -
>
>Does your monthly income from SS go up each year that you hold off applying
>for it? If I don't do the full retirement at age 66, but decide to do it
>before age 70, would I get more for each year that I hold off?
>
>G.

The only increase, once you start to take SS, it the annual cost of
living adjustment. Couple of years ago it was $0. This year is was
$35 to $40 or so.

The longer you wait after FRA, the more you can draw up to maximum at
age 70.

If, however, you take the SS at 66 and invest it, there is another
trick you can use to increase the monthly draw. Since the money is
invested, you still have it. You pay back every penny you took, then
you reapply at age 70 and get that benefit. Meantime, you keep the
gains on the investment.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 05:48:52 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> Our local SS office has
>super people who try to explain how you can get the highest benefit
>and will run various scenarios for you. I'm sure all the local
>offices have the same kind of staff.
>
>N.

If you are going to retire, they will be happy to see you and help
you. When you visit, be prepared to see a lot of young people At the
retirement office you ask? Yes, since SS also handles disability,
you'll see many low-lifes trying to collect. Gotta make that cell
phone payment ya know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 08:14:06 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>I'm looking at retire at 70 with larger monthly check and no investment
>or
>Retire at 66 with smaller monthly check but with the 4 years of invested
>money.
>
>G.

You can do both. See my other reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 05:40:43 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> It sort of is in that EVERYONE gets Medicare A, no matter what they
> want. It is hospital cost only. Other parts of Medicare are
> optional.

Optional and you pay for them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 11:38:48 +0100, Janet > wrote:

> Our local supermarket has the following sign at every checkout
>
> " It is an offence to sell alcohol to anyone under the age of 18.
> Anyone appearing to be under the age of 25 will be asked for proof of
> age and no sale of alcohol will be made until satisfactory evidence is
> produced that the purchaser is 18 or over. "
>
> I bought a bottle of wine the other day and the till operator (well
> under 25) rang for assistance and said politely "I have to get a
> supervisor to confirm when a customer looks over 25".
>
> White hair is such a giveaway...

Ours has a policy to ask for a birth date no matter how old you look.
Some of the checkers just key one in if it's obvious (gray/white hair
works), but most don't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/7/2013 10:11 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> If you are going to retire, they will be happy to see you and help
> you. When you visit, be prepared to see a lot of young people At the
> retirement office you ask? Yes, since SS also handles disability,
> you'll see many low-lifes trying to collect. Gotta make that cell
> phone payment ya know.

A number of years ago, the IRS stated that they wouldn't be
sending refunds to people who's name didn't match their SS records,
so I finally had to go sit there with my marriage/birth documents
to get my name updated. Maybe a couple of those youngsters weren't
trying to pull a fast one, just updating their records. Just a
couple.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 05:43:21 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> LOL. Our supermarket cashiers are required to scan everyone's ID for
> a liquor purchase, no matter how old they look. They should fix their
> system so they don't have to scan it every time...just the first time,
> and then it's in the data base, like they do if you write a check.
> I'm 72, and have gray hair, and they scan mine.

That's nice. I wish stores here would make use of that strip on the
back of the driver's license.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/7/13 1:25 AM, Cheryl wrote:

> One good thing I recently got a notice about is that when I turned 50 I
> was allowed some sort of "catch up" that I didn't take advantage of. The
> company did it for me.

I doubt it. That would be highly illegal without you signing off on the
request for the catch-up contribution.

-- Larry (retired 24 months as of last week, and loving it)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "graham" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Silvar Beitel" > wrote in message
>>>A blurb in the April 2013 AARP Bulletin:
>>>
>>> "Many supermarkets offer discounts - typically 5 to 10 percent off
>>> your grocery tab - for customers 55-plus who shop on a specific day of
>>> the week, often Tuesday or Wednesday. Promotions vary, so ask ahead.
>>> Participating chains include Albertson's, Bashas', HI-LO, Food Lion,
>>> Fred Meyer, Fry's, Hy-Vee, Kroger, Meijer, Pathmark, Piggly Wiggly and
>>> Publix."
>>>
>>> Never heard of that before. (None of those stores are around here (MA/
>>> NH border), and none of the stores that *are* around here have a
>>> senior discount. (I think, but I'll ask next time!) )
>>>
>>> Do any of you geezers get a senior discount where you shop?

>> A friend of mine, before he officially became a senior, would just say:
>> "Senile"!
>> He always got a discount.

> The only place here I know about here that gives senior discounts is B&Q
> (hardware) and we don't buy much from there. I don't know any grocery
> stores that give any discounts.
> --

One of the major department store chains here (Sears Canada) gives a
seniors' discount to over 55s. I understand that they may have dropped that
limit a bit.
Drugstore chains usually have a seniors' day once per month when they give
us a 10% discount. Some supermarkets also have a monthly seniors' day but
only give a discount if you buy over a certain amount.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> A friend of mine, before he officially became a senior, would just say:
>>> "Senile"!
>>> He always got a discount.

>> The only place here I know about here that gives senior discounts is B&Q
>> (hardware) and we don't buy much from there. I don't know any grocery
>> stores that give any discounts.
>> --

> One of the major department store chains here (Sears Canada) gives a
> seniors' discount to over 55s. I understand that they may have dropped
> that limit a bit.
> Drugstore chains usually have a seniors' day once per month when they give
> us a 10% discount. Some supermarkets also have a monthly seniors' day but
> only give a discount if you buy over a certain amount.

Nice!!! Have you seen that here at all?

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "graham" > wrote in message

>>> The only place here I know about here that gives senior discounts is B&Q
>>> (hardware) and we don't buy much from there. I don't know any grocery
>>> stores that give any discounts.
>>> --

>> One of the major department store chains here (Sears Canada) gives a
>> seniors' discount to over 55s. I understand that they may have dropped
>> that limit a bit.
>> Drugstore chains usually have a seniors' day once per month when they
>> give us a 10% discount. Some supermarkets also have a monthly seniors'
>> day but only give a discount if you buy over a certain amount.

> Nice!!! Have you seen that here at all?

No, but have you ever tried asking for a discount? It sometimes works.
Graham