Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Speaking of Discounts... any Veterans here?

The thread about Senior discounts made me call Publix to inquire.
Apparently it's only in the Atlanta chain where they offer Senior
discounts. Not driving to Atlanta to grocery shop, but thanks anyway.

However... John and I ate at a local chain restaurant called 'Barbara
Jeans'. I was flipping through one of those inserts they put on the
table, you know the kind... mostly touting desserts and other specials.
One said, 'Military and Retired Military discounts available'.
Unfortunately he'd already paid the check. But I noticed it so he asked
our server about it. Yes! If you're a veteran you get 5% off. Well
damn, who knew? So if you're a veteran you might want to inquire about
military discounts where you shop or if you're dining out.

OB Food: He had the meatloaf with brown gravy, mashed potatoes, squash
casserole. I ordered "chicken fingers". I figured a few strips of
fried chicken, no big deal. Turned out to be four battered and fried
*chicken breast halves*. I literally gasped when I saw the amount of
food on my plate. OMG! That plus the sides of squash casserole and
cabbage. As soon as she set the plate down I said, "I'm going to need a
to-go box." Needless to say, we snacked on leftover chicken "fingers"
for the next couple of days.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> OB Food: He had the meatloaf with brown gravy, mashed potatoes, squash
> casserole. I ordered "chicken fingers". I figured a few strips of fried
> chicken, no big deal. Turned out to be four battered and fried *chicken
> breast halves*. I literally gasped when I saw the amount of food on my
> plate. OMG! That plus the sides of squash casserole and cabbage.

......and people wonder why there is an epidemic of obesity.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/11/2013 8:17 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> However... John and I ate at a local chain restaurant called 'Barbara
> Jeans'. I was flipping through one of those inserts they put on the
> table, you know the kind... mostly touting desserts and other specials.
> One said, 'Military and Retired Military discounts available'.
> Unfortunately he'd already paid the check. But I noticed it so he asked
> our server about it. Yes! If you're a veteran you get 5% off. Well
> damn, who knew? So if you're a veteran you might want to inquire about
> military discounts where you shop or if you're dining out.

This is getting more and more popular in the cruise business. Princess
Cruise Lines will give most veterans an Onboard credit of $100 on each
cruise. Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Carnival often offer "military
rates" on select sailings. The savings can be substantial (especially on
Royal Caribbean) but these fares are usually offered at the last minute
to help them sell off the last few cabins.

OB Food... The cost of escargot has gone up so much that some cruise
lines have stopped serving it. A world wide snail shortage? Really?
Really!

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/11/2013 9:33 AM, graham wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>
>> OB Food: He had the meatloaf with brown gravy, mashed potatoes, squash
>> casserole. I ordered "chicken fingers". I figured a few strips of fried
>> chicken, no big deal. Turned out to be four battered and fried *chicken
>> breast halves*. I literally gasped when I saw the amount of food on my
>> plate. OMG! That plus the sides of squash casserole and cabbage.

> .....and people wonder why there is an epidemic of obesity.

Well, I'm not obese and I certainly didn't eat that in one sitting. It
took two of us a couple of days to eat all that chicken.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 07:33:15 -0600, "graham" > wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> >
> > OB Food: He had the meatloaf with brown gravy, mashed potatoes, squash
> > casserole. I ordered "chicken fingers". I figured a few strips of fried
> > chicken, no big deal. Turned out to be four battered and fried *chicken
> > breast halves*. I literally gasped when I saw the amount of food on my
> > plate. OMG! That plus the sides of squash casserole and cabbage.

> .....and people wonder why there is an epidemic of obesity.

Exactly. The amount of food some places put on a plate is absolutely
amazing. Well, there's no law that says you have to eat it all in one
sitting - but I don't tote food around with me when I'm on vacation,
so what I can't eat goes to waste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/11/2013 9:58 AM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 07:33:15 -0600, "graham" > wrote:
>>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> OB Food: He had the meatloaf with brown gravy, mashed potatoes, squash
>>> casserole. I ordered "chicken fingers". I figured a few strips of fried
>>> chicken, no big deal. Turned out to be four battered and fried *chicken
>>> breast halves*. I literally gasped when I saw the amount of food on my
>>> plate. OMG! That plus the sides of squash casserole and cabbage.

>> .....and people wonder why there is an epidemic of obesity.
>>

> Exactly. The amount of food some places put on a plate is absolutely
> amazing. Well, there's no law that says you have to eat it all in one
> sitting - but I don't tote food around with me when I'm on vacation,
> so what I can't eat goes to waste.

Well, we didn't have to "tote" it anywhere other than home. It did take
us a couple of days to eat it. And yes, I was amazed by the portions.
But I'm not afraid to ask for a to-go box. We paid for the food, hence
not letting them toss it in the trash.

There is no law saying you have to eat everything on the plate. If
that's what they give you, okay. Just ask for a to-go box. People who
don't do that when you've already paid for the food are just asking them
to throw it away. But I forgot, you dislike leftovers. We don't mind them.

I made cream gravy (actually from skim milk) to go with the leftover
battered fried chicken. Also some green beans. Fattening food?
Probably. But I don't eat deep fried food more than a couple of times a
year. So no big deal.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:17:20 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> The thread about Senior discounts made me call Publix to inquire.
>
> Apparently it's only in the Atlanta chain where they offer Senior
>
> discounts. Not driving to Atlanta to grocery shop, but thanks anyway.
>

> However... John and I ate at a local chain restaurant called 'Barbara
>
> Jeans'. I was flipping through one of those inserts they put on the
>
> table, you know the kind... mostly touting desserts and other specials.
>
> One said, 'Military and Retired Military discounts available'.
>
> Unfortunately he'd already paid the check. But I noticed it so he asked
>
> our server about it. Yes! If you're a veteran you get 5% off. Well
>
> damn, who knew? So if you're a veteran you might want to inquire about
>
> military discounts where you shop or if you're dining out.
>

> OB Food: He had the meatloaf with brown gravy, mashed potatoes, squash
>
> casserole. I ordered "chicken fingers". I figured a few strips of
>
> fried chicken, no big deal. Turned out to be four battered and fried
>
> *chicken breast halves*. I literally gasped when I saw the amount of
>
> food on my plate. OMG! That plus the sides of squash casserole and
>
> cabbage. As soon as she set the plate down I said, "I'm going to need a
>
> to-go box." Needless to say, we snacked on leftover chicken "fingers"
>
> for the next couple of days.
>

> Jill

Did he share that story with his wife?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> The thread about Senior discounts made me call Publix to inquire.
> Apparently it's only in the Atlanta chain where they offer Senior
> discounts. Not driving to Atlanta to grocery shop, but thanks anyway.
>
> However... John and I ate at a local chain restaurant called 'Barbara
> Jeans'. I was flipping through one of those inserts they put on the
> table, you know the kind... mostly touting desserts and other specials.
> One said, 'Military and Retired Military discounts available'.
> Unfortunately he'd already paid the check. But I noticed it so he asked
> our server about it. Yes! If you're a veteran you get 5% off. Well
> damn, who knew? So if you're a veteran you might want to inquire about
> military discounts where you shop or if you're dining out.
>
> OB Food: He had the meatloaf with brown gravy, mashed potatoes, squash
> casserole. I ordered "chicken fingers". I figured a few strips of fried
> chicken, no big deal. Turned out to be four battered and fried *chicken
> breast halves*. I literally gasped when I saw the amount of food on my
> plate. OMG! That plus the sides of squash casserole and cabbage. As
> soon as she set the plate down I said, "I'm going to need a to-go box."
> Needless to say, we snacked on leftover chicken "fingers" for the next
> couple of days.

There are several places here that offer a military discount. Ace Hardware,
Lowe's, Cougar Mountain and in Marysville, Alfies pizza. The Whole Foods in
Petaluma CA does too. But the one here does not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/11/2013 9:58 AM, sf wrote:

> Exactly. The amount of food some places put on a plate is absolutely
> amazing. Well, there's no law that says you have to eat it all in one
> sitting - but I don't tote food around with me when I'm on vacation,
> so what I can't eat goes to waste.

It pains me, too, but what are you going to do. I prefer to stay at
suite hotels, they usually have a microwave if not a small kitchen,
but being on vacation doesn't really lend to planning to have leftovers,
either.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 11, 6:33*am, "graham" > wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

> > OB Food: He had the meatloaf with brown gravy, mashed potatoes, squash
> > casserole. *I ordered "chicken fingers". *I figured a few strips of fried
> > chicken, no big deal. *Turned out to be four battered and fried *chicken
> > breast halves*. *I literally gasped when I saw the amount of food on my
> > plate. *OMG! *That plus the sides of squash casserole and cabbage.

> .....and people wonder why there is an epidemic of obesity.

The problem is the economics of the restaurant business combined with
the value perceived by the customer. The fixed costs: rent, equipment,
wages -- are so high, and the cost of the actual food, so small --
that selling modest portions would cost almost the same as do the
gigundo portions. But people balk at paying big bucks for small
portions, and will go elsewhere.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 11, 8:19*am, Nancy Young > wrote:
> On 4/11/2013 9:58 AM, sf wrote:
>
> > Exactly. *The amount of food some places put on a plate is absolutely
> > amazing. *Well, there's no law that says you have to eat it all in one
> > sitting - but I don't tote food around with me when I'm on vacation,
> > so what I can't eat goes to waste.

> It pains me, too, but what are you going to do. *I prefer to stay at
> suite hotels, they usually have a microwave if not a small kitchen,
> but being on vacation doesn't really lend to planning to have leftovers,
> either.

When we travel, we usually go out for one full meal a day. This helps
both our budget and our sense of well-being. Mornings, we'll have
coffee and a pastry, and a snack either at lunch time or in the
evening.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/11/2013 11:35 AM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Apr 11, 8:19 am, Nancy Young > wrote:

>> It pains me, too, but what are you going to do. I prefer to stay at
>> suite hotels, they usually have a microwave if not a small kitchen,
>> but being on vacation doesn't really lend to planning to have leftovers,
>> either.
>>

> When we travel, we usually go out for one full meal a day. This helps
> both our budget and our sense of well-being. Mornings, we'll have
> coffee and a pastry, and a snack either at lunch time or in the
> evening.

Same here, though I need to have eggs or the like for breakfast or
I will run out of steam by late morning. I need the energy to keep
going if I'm sightseeing or whatever. Then it's a late lunch or
early dinner.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 10:10:38 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 4/11/2013 9:58 AM, sf wrote:

> >> .....and people wonder why there is an epidemic of obesity.
> >>

> > Exactly. The amount of food some places put on a plate is absolutely
> > amazing. Well, there's no law that says you have to eat it all in one
> > sitting - but I don't tote food around with me when I'm on vacation,
> > so what I can't eat goes to waste.
> >

> Well, we didn't have to "tote" it anywhere other than home.

My problem is that I run into those places while on vacation. I would
have no problem asking for a to go box here, but we just split an
order when we know ahead of time there's going to be an over abundance
of food (which doesn't happen where we eat). We'd do that while on
vacation too, but we rarely eat in the same place twice.

> It did take
> us a couple of days to eat it. And yes, I was amazed by the portions.
> But I'm not afraid to ask for a to-go box. We paid for the food, hence
> not letting them toss it in the trash.
>
> There is no law saying you have to eat everything on the plate. If
> that's what they give you, okay. Just ask for a to-go box. People who
> don't do that when you've already paid for the food are just asking them
> to throw it away. But I forgot, you dislike leftovers. We don't mind them.

I don't like to make a dinner that results in tons of leftovers. I
make enough for hubby to have for lunch the following day, but I don't
want to have to eat the same thing for days on end.

> I made cream gravy (actually from skim milk) to go with the leftover
> battered fried chicken. Also some green beans. Fattening food?
> Probably. But I don't eat deep fried food more than a couple of times a
> year. So no big deal.
>
> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Makes ya wonder how they turn any kind of a profit. I would take it home too.
If on the road, I always ask the wait person if there's a well-deserving cat out back - anything to give the hint that it should not go to waste.

If there's a microwave in my room, I'll give it a reheat in the am and chow down while SO is in the shower.

Usually, tho I can finish anything put in front of me, and then just wait for that dumb question "Are you finished?" Yes, I realize they are trained to ask, but gee - when I've 'licked the platter' clean....

I have a resto question for another thread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote:

>The thread about Senior discounts made me call Publix to inquire.
>Apparently it's only in the Atlanta chain where they offer Senior
>discounts. Not driving to Atlanta to grocery shop, but thanks anyway.
>
>However... John and I ate at a local chain restaurant called 'Barbara
>Jeans'. I was flipping through one of those inserts they put on the
>table, you know the kind... mostly touting desserts and other specials.
> One said, 'Military and Retired Military discounts available'.
>Unfortunately he'd already paid the check. But I noticed it so he asked
>our server about it. Yes! If you're a veteran you get 5% off. Well
>damn, who knew? So if you're a veteran you might want to inquire about
>military discounts where you shop or if you're dining out.

Home Depot and Lowes both give 10% discounts. Too bad I didn't find
that out until I replaced most of my 100yr old house.<g> 10% of
what I've spent at them in the last 25 years probably amounts to more
than the Marines paid me from 68-72.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> There is no law saying you have to eat everything on the plate. If
> that's what they give you, okay. Just ask for a to-go box. People who
> don't do that when you've already paid for the food are just asking them
> to throw it away. But I forgot, you dislike leftovers. We don't mind them.
>
> I made cream gravy (actually from skim milk) to go with the leftover
> battered fried chicken. Also some green beans. Fattening food?
> Probably. But I don't eat deep fried food more than a couple of times a
> year. So no big deal.

I'm with you, Jill. Any leftovers come home. I actually do NOT enjoy eating
in a restaurant. I prefer to eat in the comfort of my own home. And...oh
all right...I enjoy watching tv while eating. I'm allowed to do this now
that I'm no longer married. heheh

For that reason, I always get take-out. And as I rarely do that, I usually
over order for a meal. I'll get something for a dinner but I always order
more to have leftovers for a second meal the next day or at least two
snacks. I have never ordered a one-meal-only takeout.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I don't like to make a dinner that results in tons of leftovers. I
> make enough for hubby to have for lunch the following day, but I don't
> want to have to eat the same thing for days on end.

Whenever I cook something *good*, I have no problem with making tons of it.

That's where your freezer comes in handy (for freezable leftovers). Most of
my home cooking is on weekends and I make a LOT of whatever I'm making.
I'll eat leftovers for a day or two but then I always have more in the
freezer for a quick and easy meal down the road.

My freezer usually contains 3-4 different leftover choices. I know
Sheldon's probably does too. Just because we cook in quantity, it doesn't
mean we eat the same stuff for days in a row.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> The thread about Senior discounts made me call Publix to inquire.
>> Apparently it's only in the Atlanta chain where they offer Senior
>> discounts. Not driving to Atlanta to grocery shop, but thanks anyway.
>>
>> However... John and I ate at a local chain restaurant called 'Barbara
>> Jeans'. I was flipping through one of those inserts they put on the
>> table, you know the kind... mostly touting desserts and other specials.
>> One said, 'Military and Retired Military discounts available'.
>> Unfortunately he'd already paid the check. But I noticed it so he asked
>> our server about it. Yes! If you're a veteran you get 5% off. Well
>> damn, who knew? So if you're a veteran you might want to inquire about
>> military discounts where you shop or if you're dining out.

> Home Depot and Lowes both give 10% discounts. Too bad I didn't find
> that out until I replaced most of my 100yr old house.<g> 10% of
> what I've spent at them in the last 25 years probably amounts to more
> than the Marines paid me from 68-72.
>
> Jim

I can't get no HD discount except on certain holidays. What kind of ID ??
Discharge?

(Updated)
The Home Depot offers a year-round, 10 percent discount, up to a $500
maximum, at our U.S. stores to all active duty military personnel,
reservists, retired or disabled veterans and their immediate families. We
offer this discount to thank them for their outstanding service to this
nation. Customers requesting the discount should present a valid military
ID.

In addition, a 10 percent discount is also offered in recognition of
Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day and Veterans Day at all U.S. Home
Depot stores for all other military veterans.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 17:46:56 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> My freezer usually contains 3-4 different leftover choices.

My freezer is full, but it's not full of leftovers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 17:11:00 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> I prefer to eat in the comfort of my own home. And...oh
> all right...I enjoy watching tv while eating. I'm allowed to do this now
> that I'm no longer married. heheh
>
> For that reason, I always get take-out. And as I rarely do that, I usually
> over order for a meal. I'll get something for a dinner but I always order
> more to have leftovers for a second meal the next day or at least two
> snacks. I have never ordered a one-meal-only takeout.

My SIL does that too and she's married.

Back in the day, I thought she was a good cook but she never liked her
own cooking so she has always been thin as a rail because she wouldn't
eat what she cooked. She raised 5 kids: 4 boys and a girl (who
weren't undernourished, said they liked her cooking and turned put to
be great cooks)... so I think she did something right.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Well, we didn't have to "tote" it anywhere other than home. It did take
>us a couple of days to eat it. And yes, I was amazed by the portions.
>But I'm not afraid to ask for a to-go box. We paid for the food, hence
>not letting them toss it in the trash.
>
>There is no law saying you have to eat everything on the plate. If
>that's what they give you, okay. Just ask for a to-go box. People who
>don't do that when you've already paid for the food are just asking them
>to throw it away. But I forgot, you dislike leftovers. We don't mind them.

I like leftovers and that is my lunch most days. Easy enough to take
them home, but if you are on vacation or otherwise traveling, it is
not always possible to do so.

Of course, many people will eat everything on the plate no matter how
huge the portion.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
> Home Depot and Lowes both give 10% discounts. Too bad I didn't find
> that out until I replaced most of my 100yr old house.<g> 10% of
> what I've spent at them in the last 25 years probably amounts to more
> than the Marines paid me from 68-72.

Yeah! I didn't find out about Lowes until after I bought my appliances and
a whole bunch of other stuff. I actually only found out a couple of months
ago. But they did give me the discount the last time I was in. I have
never seen it advertised nor did I see it on the website. But Ace has a
little sign at the register. One of the drugstore chains also gives a
military discount but I can't remember which one. It's only good on a
certain day though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...

> I'm with you, Jill. Any leftovers come home. I actually do NOT enjoy
> eating
> in a restaurant. I prefer to eat in the comfort of my own home. And...oh
> all right...I enjoy watching tv while eating. I'm allowed to do this now
> that I'm no longer married. heheh
>
> For that reason, I always get take-out. And as I rarely do that, I
> usually
> over order for a meal. I'll get something for a dinner but I always order
> more to have leftovers for a second meal the next day or at least two
> snacks. I have never ordered a one-meal-only takeout.

The older I get, the more I want to eat at home. I liked dining out when I
was a kid. In those days, most places had big salad bars. I love salad
bars! Now none of the good restaurants have them. And the few that do, do
not have good salad bars.

I do not like taking food home though and never do, unless my husband is
home and it is something he will eat. For instance, one place has a soup
and salad which I will get. But it comes with a giant muffin. I don't eat
muffins so if he's around, I don't get it. But if he is here, I will take
the muffin to go. That's about the only thing I'll take.

Angela will take things though. When we go out for Chinese, she can never
finish her fried rice. So she will take half home. And often when we go
for Mexican food, she will take half of that home too. But once we did ask
the owner of one place if he could make her a smaller portion. And he did!
And he charges less. So now she usually does that. But once in a while she
will want the leftovers for the following day.

When we lived in NY, we discovered that most all of the restaurants gave
HUGE portions! We once went to an Italian place when my parents came to
visit. Even the child's portion that my daughter got was huge! So we
immediately asked for a large box and each of us took half of the food off
of our plates. We took this home for my husband who was working late. We
each ordered a different thing so he could try it all.

When we were moving to NY, we stopped at an Amish restaurant in Wisconsin.
I noticed that the tables all had this server on them that had three
compartments. Each one had a salad in it. There was pea salad, coleslaw
and I can't remember now what the third thing was. I wanted it. Didn't see
it on the menu. So I asked the waitress about it and said that I wanted to
order it. Instead of telling me that everyone got one and it was free, she
just said, "You want to ORDER one?" Gave me an odd look and brought us two!
I felt a little stupid then. But there was so much to eat just between that
and the bread basket, my daughter and I didn't even order a meal. We just
ate those things. And I think I might have ordered her a fruit cup. I can't
remember what my husband got but it was huge.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> My SIL does that too and she's married.
>
> Back in the day, I thought she was a good cook but she never liked her
> own cooking so she has always been thin as a rail because she wouldn't
> eat what she cooked. She raised 5 kids: 4 boys and a girl (who
> weren't undernourished, said they liked her cooking and turned put to
> be great cooks)... so I think she did something right.

I don't get that way with my cooking but I did get like that with most
baking and candy making. I think it was because I made soo much of whatever
it was, that I just got sick of it.

When we lived in NY, there were a couple of chicken places that delivered.
I used to order from the one that delivered to our house. Would get quite
a lot of chicken and various salads. I'd get myself a chicken salad but
come to find out, it was nothing but chopped cooked chicken! I would add my
own things like celery, mayo, onions and maybe pecans. For about $20, I
could get enough food for several days. We did usually get a delivery about
once a week when we lived there. Almost all of the restaurants delivered.

Most of my neighbors got food delivered almost every day. When they did
not, they were eating the leftovers. They'd alternate between
pizza/Italian, Chinese and chicken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> sf wrote:
>>
>> I don't like to make a dinner that results in tons of leftovers. I
>> make enough for hubby to have for lunch the following day, but I don't
>> want to have to eat the same thing for days on end.

> Whenever I cook something *good*, I have no problem with making tons of
> it.
>
> That's where your freezer comes in handy (for freezable leftovers). Most
> of
> my home cooking is on weekends and I make a LOT of whatever I'm making.
> I'll eat leftovers for a day or two but then I always have more in the
> freezer for a quick and easy meal down the road.
>
> My freezer usually contains 3-4 different leftover choices. I know
> Sheldon's probably does too. Just because we cook in quantity, it doesn't
> mean we eat the same stuff for days in a row.

These days when I do freeze, it is mostly just plain cooked meat or
meatloaf. In the old days, I'd make hominy croquettes, pancakes and muffins
to freeze.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote in news:asnrf2Fgag1U1
@mid.individual.net:

> The thread about Senior discounts made me call Publix to

inquire.
> Apparently it's only in the Atlanta chain where they offer

Senior
> discounts. Not driving to Atlanta to grocery shop, but thanks

anyway.

Best bet is always to ask, but here are some sites with listings
of military discounts:

http://www.military-money-matters.com/military-
discounts.html#axzz200v1Le5a

http://www.bradsdeals.com/blog/military-discounts/

http://www.militaryconnection.com/deals.asp

http://www.militarysos.com/forum/military-activism-
advocacy/446501-174-stores-offering-military-discounts.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> sf wrote:
>>
>> I don't like to make a dinner that results in tons of leftovers. I
>> make enough for hubby to have for lunch the following day, but I don't
>> want to have to eat the same thing for days on end.

> Whenever I cook something *good*, I have no problem with making tons of
> it.
>
> That's where your freezer comes in handy (for freezable leftovers). Most
> of
> my home cooking is on weekends and I make a LOT of whatever I'm making.
> I'll eat leftovers for a day or two but then I always have more in the
> freezer for a quick and easy meal down the road.
>
> My freezer usually contains 3-4 different leftover choices. I know
> Sheldon's probably does too. Just because we cook in quantity, it doesn't
> mean we eat the same stuff for days in a row.

Yep, I do that too! I do it mainly with long cooked stuff.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> Most of my neighbors got food delivered almost every day. When they did
> not, they were eating the leftovers. They'd alternate between
> pizza/Italian, Chinese and chicken.

Well I suppose if they didn't like to cook ... Cooking is a pleasure for
me

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> These days when I do freeze, it is mostly just plain cooked meat or
> meatloaf. In the old days, I'd make hominy croquettes, pancakes and
> muffins to freeze.

It might be worth it once DH is living at home again?

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" ku> wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
>> These days when I do freeze, it is mostly just plain cooked meat or
>> meatloaf. In the old days, I'd make hominy croquettes, pancakes and
>> muffins to freeze.

> It might be worth it once DH is living at home again?

No because he doesn't eat that stuff. I did that when I was single. He
won't eat stuff from the freezer that he has to make himself. He mostly
either eats eggs, a sandwich or cereal for breakfast. And thankfully I
found a really good price on cereal!

I do want to make some more meatloaves but I don't know when. Currently my
chest freezer is pretty full. I am stocking up on food for him. I have a
frozen pizza and a lot of those frozen fruit bars that he likes. Luckily I
got coupons for those. I have to look for PJ's Skinny Organic Burritos at
Costco. The dietician recommended those for Angela but... I am not so sure
that they would work for the South Beach diet. She gave her a picture of
them but they don't look like they are whole grain.

My stockpile is pretty full again. Went shopping by myself at Winco so was
able to take my time and browse. Got lots of beans, rice, vegetables both
canned and frozen, some canned and frozen fruit and pasta. Some meat in the
freezer, but I mostly tend to buy meat as needed. Also lots of cans of tuna
and chicken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" ku> wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
>> Most of my neighbors got food delivered almost every day. When they did
>> not, they were eating the leftovers. They'd alternate between
>> pizza/Italian, Chinese and chicken.

> Well I suppose if they didn't like to cook ... Cooking is a pleasure for
> me

It seemed to me that a lot of people there didn't like to cook. We did have
one neighbor who make pretty much everything from scratch, right down to
grinding her own flour. But next door was a woman do ran a daycare and she
seemed to fix an awful lot of pre-made frozen stuff.

One of the problems that we did have was a lack of good places to shop
nearby that had affordable food. There was a little mom and pop place that
had really good food. They even made their own fresh mozzarella. But it
wasn't cheap! It was across from Angela's dance studio so I would go there
maybe once or twice a month for a few things. But the nearest supermarket
sold spoiled food. Rotten produce, fruit flies everywhere. Sour milk
because they either left it out at room temperature or in one case, they had
like a dummy thermometer that showed the correct temperature but the milk
itself was warm! I quit buying meat and cheese there after the health
department came in and was checking. They'd tried to sell meat that had sat
at room temp. (and it was summer) for something like a week. We'd had a
long power outage. On the TV and radio they warned us not to buy any food
from a store or restaurant unless it was canned until they had checked for
safety. Sadly this sort of thing was all too common.

We did most of our grocery shopping at the military commissary in Brooklyn.
Without that I don't know how we would have made it there. But that did
cost a lot to go over that bridge. So we mostly went twice a month and
tried to make the food last. I could get some shelf stable stuff at Family
Dollar.

I think this is why people so often ordered out for food. Because it was
available and it was one way that you could get a green salad or other fresh
vegetables. If you went to the store, you might not find any!

We did have Family Fruit/Top Tomato but they were a ways away from us and
even though they were mainly a produce store, their stuff might not be so
fresh either. A lot of it was kept at room temp. But at least it was
cheap!

Another thing I would do was to buy food when we were in PA. I was rather
limited as to what I could buy because it was a long drive home. But it was
one way that I could get good, cheap produce.

When we first moved back here, I walked into an Albertsons and just stood
there looking around in awe at wonderful selection of foods! It seemed that
on Staten Island, the big thing was Italian food. If I wanted to make some
other cuisine, I was pretty much limited to what they had at the military
commissary. They did have a small selection of other things at the local
grocery stores but it's not at all like it is here. We're very diverse
here!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gregz > wrote:

>Jim Elbrecht > wrote:

-snip-

>> Home Depot and Lowes both give 10% discounts. Too bad I didn't find
>> that out until I replaced most of my 100yr old house.<g> 10% of
>> what I've spent at them in the last 25 years probably amounts to more
>> than the Marines paid me from 68-72.
>>
>> Jim

>I can't get no HD discount except on certain holidays. What kind of ID ??
>Discharge?

Might be local--- or I could have been misled.

There is a local 'Veteran ID' that we can get from the local Veteran
Affairs office. You file your DD214 and they cut you an ID. I'll
file that DD214 one of these days. . . it has only been 41 years.<g>

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> My stockpile is pretty full again. Went shopping by myself at Winco so
> was able to take my time and browse. Got lots of beans, rice, vegetables
> both canned and frozen, some canned and frozen fruit and pasta. Some meat
> in the freezer, but I mostly tend to buy meat as needed. Also lots of
> cans of tuna and chicken.

Well I reckon you will be pretty busy once he is home, keeping those stock
up and feeding him at the same time

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/12/2013 1:14 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> When we lived in NY, there were a couple of chicken places that delivered.

(snippage)

Thread drift! LOL This is where so many places in the U.S. vary. The
only food I've ever been able to have delivered was Papa John's Pizza
when I lived in Memphis.

I take that back. There *was* a delivery service (not associated with
any specific restaurant) in TN and occasionally I'd call to have food
from a Chinese place delivered. Then one day I called and got the
funniest very long recorded message. Something along the lines of "If
you are calling to order from XYZ Chinese, forget it. One of our pickup
people saw their kitchen and said it is disguisting! We will NOT be
delivering any more of their food!" I was like OMG, and I've been
eating this stuff?! They were being *paid* to deliver food and were so
disturbed by what they saw they refused to continue doing business with
them. Wow.

So, when I had a hankering for Chinese I'd stop at a different place on
my way home from work, go in and get take-out. I sure did miss the
convenience of delivery. Here in SC I'm in the sticks. Not even crappy
pizza places will make the drive all the way out here.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/11/2013 5:11 PM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> I made cream gravy (actually from skim milk) to go with the leftover
>> battered fried chicken. Also some green beans. Fattening food?
>> Probably. But I don't eat deep fried food more than a couple of times a
>> year. So no big deal.

> I'm with you, Jill. Any leftovers come home. I actually do NOT enjoy eating
> in a restaurant. I prefer to eat in the comfort of my own home. And...oh
> all right...I enjoy watching tv while eating. I'm allowed to do this now
> that I'm no longer married. heheh

Don't feel bad, there's a television right next to my kitchen table.

I don't really enjoy eating out. We were on our way to the grocery
store and you know the rules... don't go grocery shopping when you're
hungry! LOL

I still didn't expect to get enough food to feed four people (or two
people for three days!) when I ordered the chicken fingers. Next time
I'll know better.

> For that reason, I always get take-out. And as I rarely do that, I usually
> over order for a meal. I'll get something for a dinner but I always order
> more to have leftovers for a second meal the next day or at least two
> snacks. I have never ordered a one-meal-only takeout.
>
> G.

I haven't gotten take-out (other than from "The Club") in many years.
But that's simply due to geography. If I lived closer to town I'd
probably get take-out if I was out running errands. And yes, I'd order
more than just one meal, with the specific intent of having leftovers.
But I'd rather eat at home.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/12/2013 7:40 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> gregz > wrote:
>
>> Jim Elbrecht > wrote:

> -snip-
>>>
>>> Home Depot and Lowes both give 10% discounts. Too bad I didn't find
>>> that out until I replaced most of my 100yr old house.<g> 10% of
>>> what I've spent at them in the last 25 years probably amounts to more
>>> than the Marines paid me from 68-72.
>>>
>>> Jim

>> I can't get no HD discount except on certain holidays. What kind of ID ??
>> Discharge?
>>

> Might be local--- or I could have been misled.
>
> There is a local 'Veteran ID' that we can get from the local Veteran
> Affairs office. You file your DD214 and they cut you an ID. I'll
> file that DD214 one of these days. . . it has only been 41 years.<g>
>
> Jim

Yep, the discharge form is DD214 and you can get an ID. (John served
around the time you did, Jim.) He showed the server his VA ID when he
inquired and she said yeah, we would have given you a discount. So now
we know for next time. Seems to me most former military personnel
should have some form of military ID. You can't shop at a base
commissary or PX without one.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 10:47:02 +0100, "Ophelia" ku>
wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
> > sf wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't like to make a dinner that results in tons of leftovers. I
> >> make enough for hubby to have for lunch the following day, but I don't
> >> want to have to eat the same thing for days on end.

> > Whenever I cook something *good*, I have no problem with making tons of
> > it.
> >
> > That's where your freezer comes in handy (for freezable leftovers). Most
> > of
> > my home cooking is on weekends and I make a LOT of whatever I'm making.
> > I'll eat leftovers for a day or two but then I always have more in the
> > freezer for a quick and easy meal down the road.
> >
> > My freezer usually contains 3-4 different leftover choices. I know
> > Sheldon's probably does too. Just because we cook in quantity, it doesn't
> > mean we eat the same stuff for days in a row.

> Yep, I do that too! I do it mainly with long cooked stuff.

But you guys have gigantic stand alone freezers and you always
"forget" to mention that part.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 10:52:04 +0100, "Ophelia" ku>
wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
> > Most of my neighbors got food delivered almost every day. When they did
> > not, they were eating the leftovers. They'd alternate between
> > pizza/Italian, Chinese and chicken.

> Well I suppose if they didn't like to cook ... Cooking is a pleasure for
> me

That's the difference between my SIL and me. She hates to cook; I
love it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 09:43:49 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> Here in SC I'm in the sticks. Not even crappy
> pizza places will make the drive all the way out here.

Even here, it's only been the recent past where we could get anything
other than pizza or Chinese delivered. We love the Thai place that
delivers and if we wanted some other type of food but didn't want to
go out for it (or couldn't), there's always Waiters on Wheels. Not
the variety of direct delivery that NYC has, but that's how it goes.