HELP! Stove Keeps Flashing and Beeping "F1"

Old 21-06-2004, 02:30 AM
Jordan Zimmer
Usenet poster

Default HELP! Stove Keeps Flashing and Beeping "F1"

Thank-you to everyone who responded. I really appreciate it. I'm afraid
that Brad is right... I left the stove unplugged all night, tried plugging
it back it today, and now it's worse than ever! Not only did the beeping
come back, but the entire display is now totally messed up, showing random
characters and flashing rapidly off and on. Sounds like the controller is
fried... I'm calling a repair man tomorrow. Brad, to answer your question,
I think the stove is about three years old. It was here when we moved in
two years ago, and this house was built three years ago, so I'm assuming
that the range was installed when the house was built. Anyway, I'm going to
see how much the estimate will be to replace the controller. If it's too
much, we might just go out and buy a new one. There's little sense into
sinking over $300-plus labor- for an appliance that's already reached its
mid-life! Thanks again, and I'll keep you all updated.

Jordan

"Brad" wrote in message
. ..
Hi Jordan. I hate to say it, but Vox is correct. Your oven controller,
what my father refers to as the "ERC" (electronic range control), is
defective and must be replaced. The repair bill might shock you too! Do
you know approximately how old the range is? My dad services and repairs
major appliances. He is authorized by most of the major manufacturers to
carry out the warranty work too. He personally has replaced more ERC's

than
he cares to admit. As a matter of fact, I remember him saying that almost
80% of his service calls for ranges involve the ERC. (The F1 fault code

your
stove is displaying) Most only last for about 3-5 years and basically

burn
out. The repair bill typically runs from around $250-400, depending on the
design. Unlike standard dial controls, which can be repaired, electronic
controls must be ENTIRELY replaced. Most are hermetically sealed and
opening them up will destroy the casing, so it's pointless.

Unfortunately,
everything seems to be going electronic in the home appliance department.
Hope this helps you out somewhat... Good luck, and let us know how things
turn out!

"Jordan Zimmer" wrote in message
. ..
Hello to all. I'm fairly new around here, so please bear with me. We

own
a Frigidaire smoothtop range model #GLEF396. At approximately 10 PM

last
night, we heard this continuous beeping noise coming from the kitchen.

Upon
closer examination, we noticed that the clock/timer display on the stove

was
flashing "F1". We tried unplugging the stove, resetting the clock, but
nothing worked. It's still doing it, and is starting to drive us a

little
crazy! I think I'm just going to unplug the stove for the rest of the

night.
Needless to say, we ordered take-out... The burners on the range still

seem
functional, but we cannot get the oven to come on, as the touchpad isn't
responding to any of our commands. It just keeps beeping and flashing.
There are no repair centers open around here on the weekends, so I have

wait until Monday at the earliest before calling someone to come over.

Does
anyone know what the problem might be? We've had no complaints or

problems
with the stove until last night. Any advice is much appreciated!

Jordan

Old 21-06-2004, 04:12 AM
Vox Humana
Usenet poster

"Jordan Zimmer" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

You can get an idea of the cost of the part from the website I listed:
www.repairclinic.com

Old 21-06-2004, 10:20 PM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

Chris Webster wrote:
Jordan Zimmer wrote:
Hello to all. I'm fairly new around here, so please bear with me. We own
a Frigidaire smoothtop range model #GLEF396. At approximately 10 PM last
night, we heard this continuous beeping noise coming from the kitchen. Upon
closer examination, we noticed that the clock/timer display on the stove was
flashing "F1".

Did you try CTRLALTDEL ?
sorry, couldn't resist.

Actually, on my stove this works. Well, the "reset" button that normally
turns the oven off will cause the F1 to go away and the beeper to stop
beeping. It's happened two or three times in the 10 years we've had
the house. The stove was probably only 2 or 3 years old when we moved
in.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Old 22-06-2004, 04:32 AM
Jordan Zimmer
Usenet poster

Default HELP! Stove Keeps Flashing and Beeping "F1" UPDATE...

Well folks, the repair guy came out today, and it's just as you mentioned.
The ERC is faulty and the technician quoted me a total cost of $290 to
replace it. I went ahead with the repair as our money is a little tight
right now. Hopefully, the new one will give us another couple of years of
use, at which point it will be time for a new stove anyway. The bad news is
that the part has to specially ordered from Frigidaire, which he said might
take up to 2-3 weeks, provided that they have the part in stock. I guess
I'll be using our barbecue and microwave a lot g. I've left the stove
unplugged because the constant beeping was terribly annoying. Brad was
correct. The guy told me that these things go bad all the time.
Apparently, it's a very common and well known problem.... He said that most
of his other services calls are usually for bad elements or defective burner
switch. I only hope those parts don't go bad once I get the controller
replaced. :-D Anyway folks, thanks again for all your help and
suggestions. You guys truly are a helpful bunch!

Cheers!
Jordan

Old 22-06-2004, 04:52 AM
Vox Humana
Usenet poster

[...]

I would try to locate the part online rather than wait that long.

Old 22-06-2004, 05:04 PM
Chris Webster
Usenet poster

use, at which point it will be time for a new stove anyway. The bad news is
that the part has to specially ordered from Frigidaire, which he said might
take up to 2-3 weeks, provided that they have the part in stock.[...] Brad was
correct. The guy told me that these things go bad all the time.
Apparently, it's a very common and well known problem....

If its very common, then why the %@!# don't they stock the part. 2-3
weeks is absurd.

--Chris
Old 22-06-2004, 05:08 PM
Vox Humana
Usenet poster

"Chris Webster" wrote in message

use, at which point it will be time for a new stove anyway. The bad

news is
that the part has to specially ordered from Frigidaire, which he said

might
take up to 2-3 weeks, provided that they have the part in stock.[...]

Brad was
correct. The guy told me that these things go bad all the time.
Apparently, it's a very common and well known problem....

If its very common, then why the %@!# don't they stock the part. 2-3
weeks is absurd.

It's the kind of thing you tell people when you are too busy to return
promptly. Once you have charged for the diagnostics and have a commitment
for the repair, then you can call the shots. If you have a local appliance
parts dealer, you can call them to see if the part is available locally.
Otherwise there are several online sources for parts.

Old 22-06-2004, 08:23 PM
Jordan Zimmer
Usenet poster

Well, it probably doesn't help that I live in a small town (pop.15,000).
There are only two service centers here... The tech did call three other
places, all within an hour's driving distance, and they didn't carry it
either. I'm not that inconvenienced really. Like I said, there's the
barbecue and microwave and I have a toaster oven too, so I can improvise. I
also have an old hotplate somewhere. The more I think about it, the more I
can understand why the ERC is not a part you would normally keep in stock.
He told me that he only carries standard parts like elements and burner
switches and the like. Basic repair items. Also, can you imagine with all
the different makes/models out there, it would almost be IMPOSSIBLE to stock
every single kind of ERC... I looked around on the web for the part, like
Vox mentioned, and even I couldn't believe how many different controllers
there are. I DID locate the part at repairclinic.com, and it was $204.65
and not in stock. I take it this must be a hot item! :-) Anyway, the
technician was very understanding and promised me that he would be over to
install it the moment it arrives...

BTW, here's the part I need:

http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID=499508

Cheers!
Jordan

Old 22-06-2004, 09:05 PM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

Jordan Zimmer wrote:
The ERC is faulty and the technician quoted me a total cost of $290 to

that the part has to specially ordered from Frigidaire, which he said might
take up to 2-3 weeks, provided that they have the part in stock. I guess
I'll be using our barbecue and microwave a lot g. I've left the stove
unplugged because the constant beeping was terribly annoying. Brad was

I know this is a little late to ask, but the ERC on my stove just seems
to control the oven and timer. Is it possible to have the module unplugged
and still be able to use the burners? Maybe the burners go through
the ERC also, but worth asking the tech about if you might still be
able to use the stove top with the beeping part unplugged.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Old 22-06-2004, 10:05 PM
Brad
Usenet poster

The ERC is not something many service centers keep in stock. It usually
needs to be specially ordered from the manufacturer, as there any many
different designs and makes. The wiring schematics also vary from model to
model, even among brands from the same company. I'll say one thing positive
about Frigidaire, and it's that they have a well-stocked inventory of
replacement parts... Probably because people are replacing them so much.
LOL. Anyway, I hope everything turns out OK. Keep in touch.

Old 14-01-2005, 12:07 PM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

Yes your first guess was right the ERC does control just the oven and
timer. If you will notice you have a sensor in the oven. This sensor
reads the temp and gives that data back to the ERC. The ERC then can
control the elements monitoring the set temp. If there is an error in
the computer module there are no built in bypasses. The upside is you
get more accurate temperature monitoring and reap a more energy
efficent range. The downside you have less longevity. Even with
beeping you can use burners but yes to get rid of irritating sound you
can unplug ERC. Most likely you have a spark module that controls the
burners on a gas range or if electric the power goes directly to the
burner switches on the front which then thru resistance feeds the
burner elements. I hope this helps.