Smoked Abalone

Old 18-04-2010, 01:07 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Smoked Abalone

Anyone ever try smoking these? I just got a bunch from a friend.
I normally use the slice thin, pound, then quick saute cooking method.

This time I want to smoke them. I'm not sure if I should:

- Cold smoke them whole
- Slice, pound, then hot smoke (like at 160 F or so)

Etc

--
Mort
Old 18-04-2010, 01:19 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 17:07:43 -0700, Mort wrote:

Anyone ever try smoking these? I just got a bunch from a friend.
I normally use the slice thin, pound, then quick saute cooking method.

This time I want to smoke them. I'm not sure if I should:

- Cold smoke them whole
- Slice, pound, then hot smoke (like at 160 F or so)

You got me there. I have done everything but abalone (and canned
tuna).

:-)

-sw
Old 18-04-2010, 01:27 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 17:07:43 -0700, Mort wrote:

Anyone ever try smoking these? I just got a bunch from a friend.
I normally use the slice thin, pound, then quick saute cooking method.

This time I want to smoke them. I'm not sure if I should:

- Cold smoke them whole
- Slice, pound, then hot smoke (like at 160 F or so)

You got me there. I have done everything but abalone (and canned
tuna).

:-)

-sw

Thanks. I'm leaning towards this method as it makes the most sense.
Sorta.

http://www.sea-ex.com/recipes/recipe/abalone-smoked.htm

Basically, abalone is in the same category as conch or scungilli,
such that you either cook it real quick (a minute or two) or long
(an hour+). Nothing in between works, it makes it tough.

So, if I try and hot smoke it starting from raw it I'm guessing it
will come out tough. If I cold smoke it, it's not safe cause I'm
not actually cooking it. Just doesn't sound good there.

So, I might have to simmer it for a few hours, let it cool, then
smoke it as in the above recipe.

Still thinking ...

--
Mort
Old 18-04-2010, 01:58 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 17, 5:27*pm, Mort wrote:
Sqwertz wrote:
[...]

Mort- Hide quoted text -

I'm with you on that, the main thing you have to deal with is abalones
toughness, but I understand why you'd like to try, it seems like it
should be a great taste combo. You got nice friends. Good luck
searching the internet.
Old 18-04-2010, 03:28 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

tutall wrote:

I'm with you on that, the main thing you have to deal with is abalones
toughness, but I understand why you'd like to try, it seems like it
should be a great taste combo. You got nice friends. Good luck
searching the internet.

Yeah, I want to do right by the guy who entrusted me with them.
He braved cold depths, great whites, and all that. I was in the
ocean today myself and I know what he went through to get them.

The court bouillon is simmering.

--
Mort
Old 18-04-2010, 06:11 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article ,
Mort wrote:

Anyone ever try smoking these? I just got a bunch from a friend.
I normally use the slice thin, pound, then quick saute cooking method.

This time I want to smoke them. I'm not sure if I should:

- Cold smoke them whole
- Slice, pound, then hot smoke (like at 160 F or so)

Etc

As long as you don't mind smoke flavored shoe leather...
Go right on ahead.
--
Peace! Om

Old 18-04-2010, 06:36 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:
In ,
wrote:

Anyone ever try smoking these? I just got a bunch from a friend.
I normally use the slice thin, pound, then quick saute cooking method.

This time I want to smoke them. I'm not sure if I should:

- Cold smoke them whole
- Slice, pound, then hot smoke (like at 160 F or so)

Etc

As long as you don't mind smoke flavored shoe leather...
Go right on ahead.

That's about as meaningful as your "nitrates are safer
than nitrites" pronouncement.

--
Mort
Old 18-04-2010, 06:56 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 17, 7:28*pm, Mort wrote:

Yeah, I want to do right by the guy who entrusted me with them.
He braved cold depths, great whites, and all that. I was in the
ocean today myself and I know what he went through to get them.

I don't get in the water before July any more. Yeah, wimpin out with
age. What was the water today, 56F? What were you up to today anyway
in that? You one of those, like, surfer dudes?

Let's maybe meet up along the coast some time this summer, there's a
cool little BBQ joint in Pacifica run out of a converted train car.
*shrug* I dunno.

Old 18-04-2010, 09:02 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

tutall wrote:
On Apr 17, 5:27 pm, Mort wrote:
Sqwertz wrote:
[...]

Treat it like a brisket, and let her go in the smoker until tender
Old 18-04-2010, 11:53 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 22:56:22 -0700 (PDT), tutall wrote:

I don't get in the water before July any more. Yeah, wimpin out with
age. What was the water today, 56F? What were you up to today anyway
in that? You one of those, like, surfer dudes?

Isn't the water always about he same temp off the north coast? I
could never tell the difference, at least.

-sw
Old 18-04-2010, 02:56 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article ,
Mort wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In ,
wrote:

Anyone ever try smoking these? I just got a bunch from a friend.
I normally use the slice thin, pound, then quick saute cooking method.

This time I want to smoke them. I'm not sure if I should:

- Cold smoke them whole
- Slice, pound, then hot smoke (like at 160 F or so)

Etc

As long as you don't mind smoke flavored shoe leather...
Go right on ahead.

That's about as meaningful as your "nitrates are safer
than nitrites" pronouncement.

laughs True. ;-) The nitrate vs. nitrite thing is something I grew
up with. Taught to me by my sainted mom.

If you can give me references to prove her wrong, I'm always willing to
be re-educated...

As far as abalone go tho', I'd not want to ever slow smoke them. When I
was a small child, mom and dad used to take us to the Tide Pools on the
west coast when Abalone were more common. They would build a pit fire
and grill the fresh caught abalone in their shells and serve them with
lemon and butter. Quick cooked like that, they were delectable and a
precious memory!

A lot of seafood benefits from quick cooking. Squid and abalone are
distantly related as mollusks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squid

Squid benefits from hot and fast cooking, so do other mollusks. 2
minutes max. Anything over that and they'll need to be cooked for a much
longer time as they will turn tough at one point.

Smoking is a longer process. To me, that'd be a waste of perfectly good
abalone but as always, YMMV!

If the OP does smoke them, I'm interested in his results...
--
Peace! Om

Old 18-04-2010, 02:58 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 22:56:22 -0700 (PDT), tutall wrote:

I don't get in the water before July any more. Yeah, wimpin out with
age. What was the water today, 56F? What were you up to today anyway
in that? You one of those, like, surfer dudes?

Isn't the water always about he same temp off the north coast? I
could never tell the difference, at least.

-sw

Are there abalone off the North Coast? We always caught them on the West
Coast.

Who knew? ;-)

Great Whites are a west coast critter too. Most famous attacks are in
the Catalina Island channel iirc?
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Old 18-04-2010, 04:40 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 18, 3:53*am, Sqwertz wrote:
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 22:56:22 -0700 (PDT), tutall wrote:
I don't get in the water before July any more. Yeah, wimpin out with
age. What was the water today, 56F? What were you up to today anyway
in that? You one of those, like, surfer dudes?

Isn't the water always about he same temp off the north coast? *I
could never tell the difference, at least.

-sw

Starts to warm up a bit by July- August up to 61F or so.
Old 18-04-2010, 04:46 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 18, 6:58*am, Omelet wrote:
In article ,

*Sqwertz wrote:
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 22:56:22 -0700 (PDT), tutall wrote:

I don't get in the water before July any more. Yeah, wimpin out with
age. What was the water today, 56F? What were you up to today anyway
in that? You one of those, like, surfer dudes?

Isn't the water always about he same temp off the north coast? *I
could never tell the difference, at least.

-sw

Are there abalone off the North Coast? We always caught them on the West
Coast.

Who knew? ;-)

Great Whites are a west coast critter too. *Most famous attacks are in
the Catalina Island channel iirc?
--

Most attacks are in the bloody triangle based around the Farallones. I
won't speculate on "famous".

http://www.incredible-adventures.com...farallons.html

http://www.greatwhiteadventures.com/...n_details.html

Surfers resemble sea lions it seems. Or that's the thinking anyway.

Old 18-04-2010, 04:50 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 18, 6:56*am, Omelet wrote:

As far as abalone go tho', I'd not want to ever slow smoke them. When I
was a small child, mom and dad used to take us to the Tide Pools on the
west coast when Abalone were more common.

As that western coastline starts in the Bering straights and ends at
the straights of Magellan, could you be a bit more specific?

If it's any help, here in California we distinguish between northern,
central and southern. :0)