Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Abalone questions

Looking for some advice, please. When I was a kid, I had a relative
who went diving for abalone in the Bay Area. My mom would pound,
bread, and fry in butter. They were good, maybe a little chewy. I've
seen them lately, and altho they are waaay smaller, I'd like to try
them again. I need to get out a book or two to find out, but also
wondering about how to prep them. Are they too much work for the
results? Any recipes or ideas would be appreciated.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"merryb" > wrote:

> Looking for some advice, please. When I was a kid, I had a relative
> who went diving for abalone in the Bay Area. My mom would pound,
> bread, and fry in butter. They were good, maybe a little chewy. I've
> seen them lately, and altho they are waaay smaller, I'd like to try
> them again. I need to get out a book or two to find out, but also
> wondering about how to prep them. Are they too much work for the
> results? Any recipes or ideas would be appreciated.

Mom and dad used to build driftwood fires right there above the
tidepools and steam abalone in the shells, fresh caught over the fire,
then served them with a dribbling of lemon butter.

:-d
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Where are you getting the abalone? Commercial farm? Last I heard
they were illegal to harvest. I remember eating them in the early
70's at the café on the pier in Ventura, California. Yumm.

Yes, pounded, breaded and quickly fried in butter.

Barb
s/v Arabella
www.sailinglinks.com

On Feb 5, 3:33 pm, "merryb" > wrote:
> Looking for some advice, please. When I was a kid, I had a relative
> who went diving for abalone in the Bay Area. My mom would pound,
> bread, and fry in butter. They were good, maybe a little chewy. I've
> seen them lately, and altho they are waaay smaller, I'd like to try
> them again. I need to get out a book or two to find out, but also
> wondering about how to prep them. Are they too much work for the
> results? Any recipes or ideas would be appreciated.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 5, 1:58 pm, "ladysailor" > wrote:
> Where are you getting the abalone? Commercial farm? Last I heard
> they were illegal to harvest. I remember eating them in the early
> 70's at the café on the pier in Ventura, California. Yumm.
>
> Yes, pounded, breaded and quickly fried in butter.
>
> Barb
> s/v Arabellawww.sailinglinks.com
>
> On Feb 5, 3:33 pm, "merryb" > wrote:
>

> > Looking for some advice, please. When I was a kid, I had a relative
> > who went diving for abalone in the Bay Area. My mom would pound,
> > bread, and fry in butter. They were good, maybe a little chewy. I've
> > seen them lately, and altho they are waaay smaller, I'd like to try
> > them again. I need to get out a book or two to find out, but also
> > wondering about how to prep them. Are they too much work for the
> > results? Any recipes or ideas would be appreciated.- Hide quoted text -

>From a Korean grocery store. All of their stuff looks really fresh,

altho these guys are maybe only 4-5 inches long.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Feb 5, 1:33 pm, "merryb" > wrote:
> Looking for some advice, please. When I was a kid, I had a relative
> who went diving for abalone in the Bay Area. My mom would pound,
> bread, and fry in butter. They were good, maybe a little chewy. I've
> seen them lately, and altho they are waaay smaller, I'd like to try
> them again. I need to get out a book or two to find out, but also
> wondering about how to prep them. Are they too much work for the
> results? Any recipes or ideas would be appreciated.

Simple is best for these delicately flavored marvels. U.S. production
is from farms and is still quite small. Some more is imported from
Australia -- and Mexico, I think -- and may be farmed or wild. The
canned stuff is Asian and not good. Your recollection is correct,
pound them until you think they must be tenderized, then pound them
some more. Light breading, very brief cooking, squeeze of lemon with
or without drops of hot sauce. If your source is good you will find
them definitely worth the work. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Feb 5, 4:09 pm, "merryb" > wrote:
> From a Korean grocery store. All of their stuff looks really fresh,
>
> altho these guys are maybe only 4-5 inches long

Ooohh, babies. I'm hoping they are from a farm.

Good suggestion aem, lemon or lime and hot sause would be good.

Barb
s/v Arabella
www.sailinglinks.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" wrote:
> Looking for some advice, please. When I was a kid, I had a relative
> who went diving for abalone in the Bay Area. My mom would pound,
> bread, and fry in butter. They were good, maybe a little chewy. I've
> seen them lately, and altho they are waaay smaller, I'd like to try
> them again. I need to get out a book or two to find out, but also
> wondering about how to prep them. Are they too much work for the
> results? Any recipes or ideas would be appreciated.

abalone [a-buh-LOH-nee] Epicurious
a GASTROPOD MOLLUSK found along the coastlines of California, Mexico
and Japan. The edible portion is the adductor muscle, a broad foot by
which the abalone clings to rocks. As with any muscle, the meat is
tough and must be pounded to tenderize it before cooking. Abalone,
used widely in Chinese and Japanese cooking, can be purchased fresh,
canned, dried or salted. Fresh abalone should smell sweet, not fishy.
It should also be alive - the exposed muscle should move when touched.
Choose those that are relatively small and refrigerate as soon as
possible. Cook abalone within a day of purchase. Fresh abalone is best
sautéed and should be cooked very briefly (20 to 30 seconds per side)
or the meat will quickly toughen. Abalone is known as ormer in the
English Channel, awabi in Japan, muttonfish in Australia and paua
in New Zealand. Its iridescent shell is a source of mother-of-pearl.
---

http://www.fishtech.com/recipes.html

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

> The
> canned stuff is Asian and not good.

All the canned stuff I've seen is from South America.
I think it's quite good, but much different. It is
best eaten right out of the can, sliced thinly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> Its iridescent shell is a source of mother-of-pearl.

No, Mother of Pearl is a different mollusk.
Abalone shell is the source for Paua shell.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"merryb" > wrote:

> Looking for some advice, please. When I was a kid, I had a relative
> who went diving for abalone in the Bay Area. My mom would pound,
> bread, and fry in butter. They were good, maybe a little chewy. I've
> seen them lately, and altho they are waaay smaller, I'd like to try
> them again. I need to get out a book or two to find out, but also
> wondering about how to prep them. Are they too much work for the
> results? Any recipes or ideas would be appreciated.

I haven't had farmed abs and I've avoided the canned small stuff. But,
occasionally, a diver friend or relative will lay a Red or two on me.
(I'm in Northern California) Last time I looked the minimum size for
one of these was 6 or 7 inches. Anyway, if you are lucky enough to get
one of these, you remove the adductor muscle, digestive system, gonads,
etc from the shell and reserve the 'guts' for bait and start trimming
the adductor. There's a black skin that can be removed with a sharp
knife and I usually trim off the face of the muscle that has adhered to
the rock it was pried from as it can be kind of gritty. You then slice
it across the wide dimension into 1/2 inch thick steaks. Tenderize each
steak using a meat hammer, mallet, 2x4, knife back or framing hammer.
You need to pound it thinner but not to the point where you have gaping
holes in the middle of the steak. It takes a little practice to get it
right. Too little pounding will give you a pretty tough piece. I wiil
usually coat them in seasoned flour and fry them quickly in hot olive
oil so they brown in less than a minute. Or, you can flour them, dip in
egg and then plain bread crumbs an dhten fry them. Serve with a home
made tartar sauce. Also, try browning (not too dark) and then
discarding a few slices of garlic in the oil before you cook the abs.

D.M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 5, 2:34 pm, "ladysailor" > wrote:
> > On Feb 5, 4:09 pm, "merryb" > wrote:
> > From a Korean grocery store. All of their stuff looks really fresh,

> > altho these guys are maybe only 4-5 inches long

I guess you are telling us that Korean guys aren't well endowed...

> Ooohh, babies. I'm hoping they are from a farm.
>
> Good suggestion aem, lemon or lime and hot sause would be good.
>
> Barb
> s/v Arabellawww.sailinglinks.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 5, 10:08�pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article .com>,
>
> *"Sheldon" > wrote:
> > Its iridescent shell is a source of mother-of-pearl.

> No, Mother of Pearl is a different mollusk.
> Abalone shell is the source for Paua shell.

Mother-of-pearl (nacre) is not a mollusk, it's the inner portion of a
mollusk shell. Mother-of-pearl comes from a wide variety of mollusk
shells. Paua is a separate species of abalone (Haliotis Iris). There
are many types of mother-of-pearl, oysters are a good source too. I
have a lot of paua jewelry (coral too), my father acquired it from New
Caledonia during WWll.

http://www.reijewellery.co.nz/what_is_paua.htm

Mirriam Webster

mother-of-pearl
noun

: the hard pearly iridescent substance forming the inner layer of a
mollusk shell
---

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> On Feb 5, 10:08�pm, Omelet <omp > wrote:
> > In article .com>,
> >
> > *"Sheldon" > wrote:
> > > Its iridescent shell is a source of mother-of-pearl.

> > No, Mother of Pearl is a different mollusk.
> > Abalone shell is the source for Paua shell.

> Mother-of-pearl (nacre) is not a mollusk, it's the inner portion of a
> mollusk shell. Mother-of-pearl comes from a wide variety of mollusk
> shells. Paua is a separate species of abalone (Haliotis Iris). There
> are many types of mother-of-pearl, oysters are a good source too. I
> have a lot of paua jewelry (coral too), my father acquired it from New
> Caledonia during WWll.
>
> http://www.reijewellery.co.nz/what is paua.htm
>
> Mirriam Webster
>
> mother-of-pearl
> noun
>
> : the hard pearly iridescent substance forming the inner layer of a
> mollusk shell
> ---
>
> Sheldon

Mother of pearl is white or cream colored.

Abalone shell is blue.

I've been a bead dealer for far too long not to know a little something
about it babe. ;-)

Look for mother of pearl beads at http://www.firemountaingems.com

No way are they made from abalone shell.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> I've been a bead dealer for far too long not to know a little something
> about it babe. ;-)

you chasin a dragon om? smokin the ack ack?

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffaaaaahhhh

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Go Daddy" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news >
> > I've been a bead dealer for far too long not to know a little something
> > about it babe. ;-)

> you chasin a dragon om? smokin the ack ack?
>
> ffffffffffffffffffffffffffaaaaahhhh

Abalone is not used to make commercial mother of pearl beads or pendants.

Period.

It's the wrong color and texture.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 6, 9:16 am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article . com>,
>

> "Sheldon" > wrote:
> > On Feb 5, 10:08�pm, Omelet <omp > wrote:

> > > No, Mother of Pearl is a different mollusk.
> > > Abalone shell is the source for Paua shell.

> > Mother-of-pearl (nacre) is not a mollusk, it's the inner portion of a
> > mollusk shell. Mother-of-pearl comes from a wide variety of mollusk
> > shells. Paua is a separate species of abalone (Haliotis Iris). There
> > are many types of mother-of-pearl, oysters are a good source too. I
> > have a lot of paua jewelry (coral too), my father acquired it from New
> > Caledonia during WWll.

> >http://www.reijewellery.co.nz/whatis paua.htm

> > Mirriam Webster

> > mother-of-pearl
> > noun

> > : the hard pearly iridescent substance forming the inner layer of a
> > mollusk shell
> > ---

> > Sheldon

> Mother of pearl is white or cream colored.
>
> Abalone shell is blue.
>
> I've been a bead dealer for far too long not to know a little something
> about it babe. ;-)
>
> Look for mother of pearl beads athttp://www.firemountaingems.com
>
> No way are they made from abalone shell.
> --
> Peace, Om
>
> Remove _ to validate e-mails.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack Nicholson- Hide quoted text -

I have a couple of old shells from way back when my parents used them
for ashtrays- one is light and one is pinkish. Different varieties
maybe?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"merryb" > wrote:

> I have a couple of old shells from way back when my parents used them
> for ashtrays- one is light and one is pinkish. Different varieties
> maybe?

From the amount of googling I just finished doing, it appears that
"mother of pearl" per se' is made from Oyster shell.

Here is what it looks like:

http://www.firemountaingems.com/sear...r%20of%20pearl

Here are some abalone shell components:

http://www.firemountaingems.com/sear...balone%20shell

There are actually a rather large variety of different types of shell
beads sold by the bead companies:

http://www.firemountaingems.com/search.asp?skw=shell

But in the bead trade, Mother of pearl, per se', is a specific type of
shell.

And it's not abalone.

Thanks and have a nice day!
I'm not going to post to this thread after this.

Do your own googling on JEWELRY components, and prove me wrong.
I'd be happy for the education.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 6, 11:21 am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article . com>,
>
> "merryb" > wrote:
> > I have a couple of old shells from way back when my parents used them
> > for ashtrays- one is light and one is pinkish. Different varieties
> > maybe?

> From the amount of googling I just finished doing, it appears that
> "mother of pearl" per se' is made from Oyster shell.
>
> Here is what it looks like:
>
> http://www.firemountaingems.com/sear...r%20of%20pearl
>
> Here are some abalone shell components:
>
> http://www.firemountaingems.com/sear...balone%20shell
>
> There are actually a rather large variety of different types of shell
> beads sold by the bead companies:
>
> http://www.firemountaingems.com/search.asp?skw=shell
>
> But in the bead trade, Mother of pearl, per se', is a specific type of
> shell.
>
> And it's not abalone.
>
> Thanks and have a nice day!
> I'm not going to post to this thread after this.
>
> Do your own googling on JEWELRY components, and prove me wrong.
> I'd be happy for the education.
> --
> Peace, Om
>
> Remove _ to validate e-mails.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack Nicholson

Hey, I wasn't trying to start an arguemunt- I know nothing about
beads, etc- just trying to learn something

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"merryb" > wrote:

> Hey, I wasn't trying to start an arguemunt- I know nothing about
> beads, etc- just trying to learn something

I wish, for once, Shel' baby would adopt that attitude. ;-)

I made and sold jewelry and dealt in (mostly gemstone) beads for nearly
14 years before changing hobbies. I think I know more about it than he
does.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 6, 1:59�pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article .com>,
> *"Go Daddy" > wrote:
>
> > "Omelet" > wrote in message
> >news

> > > I've been a bead dealer for far too long not to know a little something
> > > about it babe. ;-)

> > you chasin a dragon om? smokin the ack ack?

> > ffffffffffffffffffffffffffaaaaahhhh

> Abalone is not used to make commercial mother of pearl beads or pendants.
>
> Period.
>
> It's the wrong color and texture.

Paua IS abalone. Like I said, you know NOTHING!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 6, 2:21�pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article . com>,
>
> *"merryb" > wrote:
> > I have a couple of old shells from way back when my parents used them
> > for ashtrays- one is light and one is pinkish. Different varieties
> > maybe?

> From the amount of googling I just finished doing, it appears that
> "mother of pearl" per se' is made from Oyster shell.

Mother-of-pearl is not "made", only mollusks can make it.

> Here is what it looks like:
>
> http://www.firemountaingems.com/sear...r%20of%20pearl
>
> Here are some abalone shell components:
>
> http://www.firemountaingems.com/sear...balone%20shell
>
> There are actually a rather large variety of different types of shell
> beads sold by the bead companies:
>
> http://www.firemountaingems.com/search.asp?skw=shell
>
> But in the bead trade, Mother of pearl, per se', is a specific type of
> shell.
>
> And it's not abalone.
>
> Thanks and have a nice day!
> I'm not going to post to this thread after this.
>
> Do your own googling on JEWELRY components, and prove me wrong.
> I'd be happy for the education.

You've already been proven wrong, by me, by others but mostly by
yourself.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> On Feb 6, 2:21�pm, Omelet <omp > wrote:
> > In article . com>,
> >
> > *"merryb" > wrote:
> > > I have a couple of old shells from way back when my parents used them
> > > for ashtrays- one is light and one is pinkish. Different varieties
> > > maybe?

> > From the amount of googling I just finished doing, it appears that
> > "mother of pearl" per se' is made from Oyster shell.

> Mother-of-pearl is not "made", only mollusks can make it.
> >
> > Here is what it looks like:
> >
> > http://www.firemountaingems.com/sear...r%20of%20pearl
> >
> > Here are some abalone shell components:
> >
> > http://www.firemountaingems.com/sear...balone%20shell
> >
> > There are actually a rather large variety of different types of shell
> > beads sold by the bead companies:
> >
> > http://www.firemountaingems.com/search.asp?skw=shell
> >
> > But in the bead trade, Mother of pearl, per se', is a specific type of
> > shell.
> >
> > And it's not abalone.
> >
> > Thanks and have a nice day!
> > I'm not going to post to this thread after this.
> >
> > Do your own googling on JEWELRY components, and prove me wrong.
> > I'd be happy for the education.

> You've already been proven wrong, by me, by others but mostly by
> yourself.

Oh?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 5, 1:33 pm, "merryb" > wrote:
> Looking for some advice, please. When I was a kid, I had a relative
> who went diving for abalone in the Bay Area. My mom would pound,
> bread, and fry in butter. They were good, maybe a little chewy. I've
> seen them lately, and altho they are waaay smaller, I'd like to try
> them again. I need to get out a book or two to find out, but also
> wondering about how to prep them. Are they too much work for the
> results? Any recipes or ideas would be appreciated.

Go to foodnetwork.com and find the abalone victoria recipe. Best ever
bar none.

Smoked Abalone Mort Barbecue 37 20-04-2010 05:52 PM
Source for Chilean Abalone Concholepas W General Cooking 3 02-06-2009 05:10 AM
Where the abalone, and crayfish hang out PeterLucas[_5_] General Cooking 16 21-09-2008 02:43 PM
After the Deletion of Google Answers U Got Questions Fills the Gap Answering and Asking the Tough Questions Linux Flash Drives General Cooking 0 07-05-2007 06:38 PM
So hey, I have a few questions Peri Meno General Cooking 17 07-10-2006 08:30 PM