Default User

Default FoodTV Does Real NC BBQ Pork

Steve Wertz wrote:

> From todays episode of Calling All Cooks:
>
> First, the whole shoulder is wrapped in foil and cooked in the
> oven at 325 for 8 hours - 'because the fire is just too hard to
> attend'

Yeah, I saw this one. It's a very old episode (I'm not sure there are
any new CAC episodes). It really amazed me that he was from North
Carolina. I could see some not very BBQ savvy area, but NC?

He was entertaining guy and I was really looking forward to seeing the
real deal. Then he did that.

Brian Rodenborn
Nathan Lau

Steve Wertz wrote:

> From todays episode of Calling All Cooks:
>
> First, the whole shoulder is wrapped in foil and cooked in the
> oven at 325 for 8 hours - 'because the fire is just too hard to
> attend'
>
> Then it's pulled into largish chunks and set on a Kinsgford
> briquette fire (no wood chips) to 'smoke' for 30 minutes,
> dumping on sauce the the last 10 minutes.
>
> What was really sad is the guy had a perfectly good 40cubic foot
> brick smoker/grill in his back yard. And he only used it for 30
> minutes, and with only briquettes - no wood whatsoever.
>
> Episode details:
> http://www.foodtv.com/food/show_ca/e..._20089,00.html
>
> Even Worse: The guy is a food writer for the Durham Herald.

This is prolly the third time FoodTV has run this show. It's almost as
bad as Emeril trying to do brisket on a stove-top smoker.

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
JD

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message

> From todays episode of Calling All Cooks:
>
> First, the whole shoulder is wrapped in foil and cooked in the
> oven at 325 for 8 hours - 'because the fire is just too hard to
> attend'
>
> Then it's pulled into largish chunks and set on a Kinsgford
> briquette fire (no wood chips) to 'smoke' for 30 minutes,
> dumping on sauce the the last 10 minutes.
>
> What was really sad is the guy had a perfectly good 40cubic foot
> brick smoker/grill in his back yard. And he only used it for 30
> minutes, and with only briquettes - no wood whatsoever.
>
> Episode details:
> http://www.foodtv.com/food/show_ca/e..._20089,00.html
>
> Even Worse: The guy is a food writer for the Durham Herald.
>
> -sw

He may actually be a resident of Cary, NC; Containment Area for Relocated
Yankees.

JD

BigTall

Faye Kinnitt wrote:
> Earlier in the episode the guy who owns the Houston "Goode" outfit
> said they sometimes go as much as 20 hours on Brisket. I'll bet you
> could easily chew that one. 8^)
>
> Bob in socal..

Goode Company BBQ has some damn good BBQ. Their
brisket is good, their sauce is only fair, tho.
Not bad, just not the best I have had.

Kevin
(thanking his lucky stars he lives in Houston, Texas)

Yip Yap

Steve Wertz > wrote in message >...

> Episode details:
> http://www.foodtv.com/food/show_ca/e..._20089,00.html

That's pathetic. But isn't it true that in this part
of NC "BBQ" often means Brunswick stew?

-- Yip

Michael

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> From todays episode of Calling All Cooks:
>
> First, the whole shoulder is wrapped in foil and cooked in the
> oven at 325 for 8 hours - 'because the fire is just too hard to
> attend'
>
> Then it's pulled into largish chunks and set on a Kinsgford
> briquette fire (no wood chips) to 'smoke' for 30 minutes,
> dumping on sauce the the last 10 minutes.
>
> What was really sad is the guy had a perfectly good 40cubic foot
> brick smoker/grill in his back yard. And he only used it for 30
> minutes, and with only briquettes - no wood whatsoever.
>
> Episode details:
> http://www.foodtv.com/food/show_ca/e..._20089,00.html
>
> Even Worse: The guy is a food writer for the Durham Herald.
>
> -sw

Sad, just soooo sad.

PS. Had lunch last week at Henry's Smokehouse in Greenville last week.
Still good.

Kevin S. Wilson

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 23:20:05 GMT, Lou > wrote:

>One episode of Emeril's
>(the Jesse Ventura of Chefs) boiled ribs does more to dilute our cause
>than years of cook-offs can ever recover.

"Dilute our cause"? I cook to enjoy what I've cooked, and so others
can enjoy it. I don't have a cause, nor do I see any need for a
crusade.

It's just BBQ, you know.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
AG

In contrast to foodtv there are some out there who "get it"
Turnersouth has a show called blue ribbon that spotlights a different topic
each show. The one for BBQ was really well done.
Here's a link
http://www.turnersouth.com/shows/blu...,,2292,00.html

They will re-air in Feb

Steve Wertz

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 19:24:58 GMT, "Michael"
> wrote:

>PS. Had lunch last week at Henry's Smokehouse in Greenville last week.
>Still good.

I made something similar to their 'hash' the other night (sans
rice). Basically chopped pork in a vinegar sauce.

I could go for another rack of those spares though - I haven't
done spares for months now.

-sw

Steve Wertz

wrote:

>I'm sick of having to constantly explain to FoodTV watchers what real
>Q is! We need a concerted effort to convey to the Emerils, CiCi
>Charmichaels, Tylers, etc., that our culinary heritage, methods, and
>standards are as demanding, creative, artful, and delicious as any
>other highly developed cuisine.

But that would go against everything they've already taught us.
I can't think of a single person here, except maybe Schidt, who
could go on TV and not dis (politely) what they've already,
errr...accomplished.

But I'm willing to write an email or two into the void.

-sw

Robert Klute

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 22:30:24 -0600, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 19:24:58 GMT, "Michael"
> wrote:
>
>>PS. Had lunch last week at Henry's Smokehouse in Greenville last week.
>>Still good.

>I made something similar to their 'hash' the other night (sans
>rice). Basically chopped pork in a vinegar sauce.

Pork, vinegar, mmmm. Add some garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander,
cinnamon, lots of red chilies and we're starting to look like vindaloo.
Monroe, of course...

In article >, Robert Klute
> wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 22:30:24 -0600, Steve Wertz
> > wrote:
> >I made something similar to their 'hash' the other night (sans
> >rice). Basically chopped pork in a vinegar sauce.

> Pork, vinegar, mmmm. Add some garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander,
> cinnamon, lots of red chilies and we're starting to look like vindaloo.

Ding! That's a brilliant idea- Pulled pork vindaloo!

monroe(gonna try that)
Michael

Default SC hash

"Monroe, of course..." > wrote in message
> In article >, Robert Klute
> > wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 22:30:24 -0600, Steve Wertz
> > > wrote:
> > >I made something similar to their 'hash' the other night (sans
> > >rice). Basically chopped pork in a vinegar sauce.

> > Pork, vinegar, mmmm. Add some garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander,
> > cinnamon, lots of red chilies and we're starting to look like vindaloo.

> Ding! That's a brilliant idea- Pulled pork vindaloo!

South Carolina hash is kinda a strange thing. Basically pulled pork
simmered until it looks like someone ate it before, seasoned w/ a little
sauce and then served over room temperature white rice. A bit of an
acquired taste

Steve Wertz

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:20:32 GMT, "Michael"
> wrote:

>South Carolina hash is kinda a strange thing. Basically pulled pork
>simmered until it looks like someone ate it before,

<snort> That's so true, especially of Henry's in Greenville :-)

>A bit of an acquired taste

First time I had it it was pretty unusual - cloyingly tart. But I
can see it grows on you. I didn/t cook mine to it's second death
- just simmered some smoked butt chunks it a little Carolina hot
vinegar sauce - not unlike the vinegar sauce mentioned in the
FoodTV show that started this thread, just hotter.

-sw

Michael wrote:

> South Carolina hash is kinda a strange thing. Basically pulled pork
> simmered until it looks like someone ate it before, seasoned w/ a little
> sauce and then served over room temperature white rice. A bit of an
> acquired taste

Sounds pretty good to me. I like stewed things over rice.

Brian Rodenborn

Creamy Goodness

Lou wrote:
> As a many-year a.f.b lurker, I think its time I might make a
> suggestion. The Food Network seems to get its CAC show themes from
> email, snailmail, telephone call, pitches, and referals to the Food
> Network Poducers. I've seen just about enough boiled ribs slapped on
> grills, oven-baked-briskets/butts either seared on the grill or boiled
> in a liquid smoke sauce and passed off as genuine BBQ. The Food
> Network (with the exception of Alton Brown) calls anything cooked from

So lets get Alton Brown to do something. He's always doing that and I'm
sure looking for a perfect "cue" to help him.

Lou wrote:

> Actually, I searched the FoodTV web site and Alton did a show with
> real butt, outside, 210 degrees, smoke, and 10-12 hours!

That was a pretty interesting show. I think that's the one where he made
his own smoker out a giant flowerpot (seriously).

Anyway, the recipe for the butt is:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._23019,00.html

Brian Rodenborn
Nelson Brooks

it is a lovely concoction and i like taking slaw and layering hash then slaw
and hash then slaw in a small bowl and i call it a lil "palmetto parfait"