Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Riesling and Gamay

As an apertif over two nights, the 2008 Knebel Riesling Trocken QbA.
Easy going, lighter styled dry Riesling, spring blossoms and a little
incipent petrol. A bit short, but as an apertif a nice little wine. B-/

With chicken thighs over roasted vegetables (potatoes, carrots,and
golden beets) and broccoli, the 2008 Coudert/Clos de la Roilette
Fleurie. Somewhat one dimensional at first, but it seemed to blossom
over a couple hours. Sappy red fruit, at first more raspberry, then it
was more cherries accented with Cranapple™ juice. Floral and earth
tones, good acids, some light tannins. Long clean finish. I didn't
love at first, but last glass is at least B+/A-.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote on Mon, 18 Jan 2010 09:28:09 -0800 (PST):

>As an apertif over two nights, the 2008 Knebel Riesling Trocken QbA.
>Easy going, lighter styled dry Riesling, spring blossoms and a little
>incipient petrol. A bit short, but as an apertif a nice little wine.
>B-/

You are posting in the US aren't you, and I wonder what you mean by
"petrol"?

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.wine

"James Silverton" > skrev i melding
> DaleW wrote on Mon, 18 Jan 2010 09:28:09 -0800 (PST):
>
>>As an apertif over two nights, the 2008 Knebel Riesling Trocken QbA.
>>Easy going, lighter styled dry Riesling, spring blossoms and a little
>>incipient petrol. A bit short, but as an apertif a nice little wine. B-/

> You are posting in the US aren't you, and I wonder what you mean by
> "petrol"?

My German dictionary on wine:
petrol tone (engl.)

Der typische Ton wird durch den Stoff TDN (Trimethyl-Dihydronaphtalin)
verursacht. Häufig tritt der Petrolton zwar beim Riesling auf (und wird von
manchen Riesling-Freunden durchaus geschätzt) ist jedoch nicht auf diese
Rebsorte oder auch nicht auf bestimmte Bodentypen beschränkt.

:-) Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 18, 4:27*pm, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> *DaleW *wrote *on Mon, 18 Jan 2010 09:28:09 -0800 (PST):
>
> >As an apertif over two nights, the 2008 Knebel Riesling Trocken QbA.
> >Easy going, lighter styled dry Riesling, spring blossoms and a little
> >incipient petrol. A bit short, but as an apertif a nice little wine.
> >B-/

> You are posting in the US aren't you, and I wonder what you mean by
> "petrol"?
>
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

sorry, for some reason petrol has become the normal geekspeak for TDN
(1,2,6-trimethyl-1,2-dihydronaphthalene). Actually probably closer to
kerosene/diesel than gasoline.

TDN is found in lots of grape varieties, but typically the highest
concentrations are in Riesling.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 19, 7:23*am, DaleW > wrote:

> sorry, for some reason petrol has become the normal geekspeak for TDN
> (1,2,6-trimethyl-1,2-dihydronaphthalene). Actually probably closer to
> kerosene/diesel than gasoline.
>
> TDN is found in lots of grape varieties, but typically the highest
> concentrations are in Riesling.- Hide quoted text -

To me, TDN smells of light machine oil, like "3-in One." (Is that
stuff still around? It used to be sold in US hardware stores for
household use -- oiling door hinges and such.)

Andy

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mike Tommasi" > skrev i melding
> AyTee wrote:
>> On Jan 19, 7:23 am, DaleW > wrote:
>>> sorry, for some reason petrol has become the normal geekspeak for TDN
>>> (1,2,6-trimethyl-1,2-dihydronaphthalene). Actually probably closer to
>>> kerosene/diesel than gasoline.
>>>
>>> TDN is found in lots of grape varieties, but typically the highest
>>> concentrations are in Riesling.- Hide quoted text -

>> To me, TDN smells of light machine oil, like "3-in One." (Is that
>> stuff still around? It used to be sold in US hardware stores for
>> household use -- oiling door hinges and such.)

> Oui, that is what TDN stands for in french: Trois Dans uN.

LOL!
Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

Anders wrote on Wed, 20 Jan 2010 12:13:28 +0100:

> "Mike Tommasi" > skrev i melding
>> AyTee wrote:

>>> To me, TDN smells of light machine oil, like "3-in One." (Is
>>> that stuff still around? It used to be sold in US hardware
>>> stores for household use -- oiling door hinges and such.)

>> Oui, that is what TDN stands for in french: Trois Dans uN.
>>

>LOL!

Now I think I've got it! I do know what light machine oils such as "3 in
1" smell like and I seem to recall Rieslings that have a subtle hint of
the smell. It's amazing what small touches of inherently unlikely odors
will do!
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland