FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: Riesling and Gamay (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/393123-tn-riesling-gamay.html)

DaleW 18-01-2010 05:28 PM

TN: Riesling and Gamay

As an apertif over two nights, the 2008 Knebel Riesling Trocken QbA.
Easy going, lighter styled dry Riesling, spring blossoms and a little
incipent petrol. A bit short, but as an apertif a nice little wine. B-/

With chicken thighs over roasted vegetables (potatoes, carrots,and
golden beets) and broccoli, the 2008 Coudert/Clos de la Roilette
Fleurie. Somewhat one dimensional at first, but it seemed to blossom
over a couple hours. Sappy red fruit, at first more raspberry, then it
was more cherries accented with Cranapple™ juice. Floral and earth
tones, good acids, some light tannins. Long clean finish. I didn't
love at first, but last glass is at least B+/A-.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**

James Silverton[_4_] 18-01-2010 09:27 PM

TN: Riesling and Gamay

DaleW wrote on Mon, 18 Jan 2010 09:28:09 -0800 (PST):

As an apertif over two nights, the 2008 Knebel Riesling Trocken QbA.
Easy going, lighter styled dry Riesling, spring blossoms and a little
incipient petrol. A bit short, but as an apertif a nice little wine.
B-/

You are posting in the US aren't you, and I wonder what you mean by
"petrol"?

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Anders Tørneskog 18-01-2010 10:02 PM

TN: Riesling and Gamay

"James Silverton" skrev i melding
DaleW wrote on Mon, 18 Jan 2010 09:28:09 -0800 (PST):

As an apertif over two nights, the 2008 Knebel Riesling Trocken QbA.
Easy going, lighter styled dry Riesling, spring blossoms and a little
incipient petrol. A bit short, but as an apertif a nice little wine. B-/

You are posting in the US aren't you, and I wonder what you mean by
"petrol"?

My German dictionary on wine:
petrol tone (engl.)

Der typische Ton wird durch den Stoff TDN (Trimethyl-Dihydronaphtalin)
verursacht. Häufig tritt der Petrolton zwar beim Riesling auf (und wird von
manchen Riesling-Freunden durchaus geschätzt) ist jedoch nicht auf diese
Rebsorte oder auch nicht auf bestimmte Bodentypen beschränkt.

:-) Anders

DaleW 19-01-2010 03:23 PM

TN: Riesling and Gamay

On Jan 18, 4:27*pm, "James Silverton"
wrote:
*DaleW *wrote *on Mon, 18 Jan 2010 09:28:09 -0800 (PST):

As an apertif over two nights, the 2008 Knebel Riesling Trocken QbA.
Easy going, lighter styled dry Riesling, spring blossoms and a little
incipient petrol. A bit short, but as an apertif a nice little wine.
B-/

You are posting in the US aren't you, and I wonder what you mean by
"petrol"?

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

sorry, for some reason petrol has become the normal geekspeak for TDN
(1,2,6-trimethyl-1,2-dihydronaphthalene). Actually probably closer to
kerosene/diesel than gasoline.

TDN is found in lots of grape varieties, but typically the highest
concentrations are in Riesling.

AyTee 20-01-2010 05:41 AM

TN: Riesling and Gamay

On Jan 19, 7:23*am, DaleW wrote:

sorry, for some reason petrol has become the normal geekspeak for TDN
(1,2,6-trimethyl-1,2-dihydronaphthalene). Actually probably closer to
kerosene/diesel than gasoline.

TDN is found in lots of grape varieties, but typically the highest
concentrations are in Riesling.- Hide quoted text -

To me, TDN smells of light machine oil, like "3-in One." (Is that
stuff still around? It used to be sold in US hardware stores for
household use -- oiling door hinges and such.)

Andy

Anders Tørneskog 20-01-2010 11:13 AM

TN: Riesling and Gamay

"Mike Tommasi" skrev i melding
AyTee wrote:
On Jan 19, 7:23 am, DaleW wrote:
sorry, for some reason petrol has become the normal geekspeak for TDN
(1,2,6-trimethyl-1,2-dihydronaphthalene). Actually probably closer to
kerosene/diesel than gasoline.

TDN is found in lots of grape varieties, but typically the highest
concentrations are in Riesling.- Hide quoted text -

To me, TDN smells of light machine oil, like "3-in One." (Is that
stuff still around? It used to be sold in US hardware stores for
household use -- oiling door hinges and such.)

Oui, that is what TDN stands for in french: Trois Dans uN.

LOL!
Anders

James Silverton[_4_] 20-01-2010 03:28 PM

TN: Riesling and Gamay

AyTee wrote:
On Jan 19, 7:23 am, DaleW wrote:
sorry, for some reason petrol has become the normal
geekspeak for TDN (1,2,6-trimethyl-1,2-dihydronaphthalene).
Actually probably closer to kerosene/diesel than gasoline.

TDN is found in lots of grape varieties, but typically the highest
concentrations are in Riesling.- Hide quoted text -

To me, TDN smells of light machine oil, like "3-in One." (Is
that stuff still around? It used to be sold in US hardware
stores for household use -- oiling door hinges and such.)

Oui, that is what TDN stands for in french: Trois Dans uN.

LOL!

Now I think I've got it! I do know what light machine oils such as "3 in
1" smell like and I seem to recall Rieslings that have a subtle hint of
the smell. It's amazing what small touches of inherently unlikely odors
will do!
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland