Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Mostly PN and Riesling (plus Pinot Gris, Gamay, Chenin, GV) atGrand Sichuan

ToddT was in town, and Jay rallied a small group to greet him at Grand Sichuan on St. Marks. We had a nice assortment of dishes: soup dumplings, cucumber with scallion sauce, tea smoked duck, qui zhou chicken,lamb with cumin, pork with chestnuts,ginger spinach.

We also had some wine:

Non Riesling whites
2014 Pinon €śTrois Argiles€ť Vouvray
Ive had the "14 Silex and Deronnieres, my first 3 argiles. Nice showing- pear and wax, lively acids, just offdry. Long. B++

2001 Brundlmayer Ried Kaferberg Gruner Veltliner
Initially I was a little put off by a cheesey/lactic note. But this paired beautifully with the spinach, and either the food or air blew off the lactic note (or my palate adjusted). Peas, tropical fruits, pepper. B+

1991 Donnhoff Grauburgunder Eiswein
Sweet, dark, exotic, others liked much more than I - thrilled to have it as a curiosity, but despite the good acids it seemed soft to me, a little fruit salady. B-

Rieslings
2001 Prager €śAchleiten€ť Riesling
Big but on its toes, rich pit fruits and citrus with a steely/mineral undertone. A-/B+

1996 Kruger-Rumpf Munsterer Dautenpflanzer Auslese
Rich, petrol over applesauce, moderate acids (I thought "96 was very high acid but this didnt come across that way). B

1998 Maximin Grunhauser (von Schubert) Herrenberg Kabinett
Better on nose than palate, but palate is fine! Floral nose with citrus zest and ginger, on palate very light but very precise. Flavorful, bright, real Kabinett. B+/A-

2002 Emrich-Schonleber Monzinger Fruhlingsplatzchen Rutsch Spatlese
(auction bottling)
Rich, Auslese+ like, honied fruit notes with slate and smoke, mature. B+

1990 Diel Dorsheimer Pittermannchen Auslese
My palate was shot by time I got to this one, had trouble getting enthused, felt comparatively sweet and simple. B-/C+

Reds
2008 Marimar Estate €śDon Miguel Vineyard- Stony Block€ť Pinot Noir
This was actually first wine I tried, and at that point it was too cold to appreciate. Apparently this is the Torres family of Gran Coronas fame. On revisit with the duck it seemed young and bright, black cherry and earth, nice except for a light cola note. B

2009 de Montille €śTaillepieds €ś Volnay
I think maybe a bit shutdown. Quite ripe, big fruit, but a bit hollow. I think this will be fine but for this night a B-

2007 Roty €śFontenys€ť Gevrey-Chambertin
At first I found this hard, more Roty than 2007. But with air and food it really bloomed. Lovely meaty/smoke dark fruited Gevrey. A-/B+

1978 Lucien Geoffroy €śClos Prieur€ť Gevrey-Chambertin
Corked. Damn.

2005 Vissoux (Chermette) €śPoncie€ť Fleurie
Lovely texture, black cherries with smoke and coffee topnotes. As it airs develops more earthy/meaty notes. B+/A-

Fun night, fun people.

TN: Riesling, PN, etc at Grand Sichuan DaleW Wine 0 07-02-2016 03:39 PM
TN: Bubbly Chenin, Dry Riesling DaleW Wine 0 06-08-2014 03:25 AM
WTN: Riesling, Chenin, Syrah, and Falanghina DaleW Wine 1 13-10-2010 01:04 PM
TN: Riesling and Gamay DaleW Wine 7 20-01-2010 03:28 PM
Pinot Gris - where is it best? Nils Gustaf Lindgren Wine 12 01-05-2004 03:45 AM